Question about SHGB

I read a study that was done in 2009 showing that consuming alcohol lowered SHGB. Interestingly anytime I get hung over I’m very horny the day I’m hung over but I’ve never understood why. Could it possibly be that my shgb is temporarily lowered that day from the alcohol. I put myself on trt at the beginning of summer (I have a different thread with all my labs) and have noticed improvements in everything except really libido. I have never been able to measure my SHGB as my doctor has told me he can’t test for it (Canada). I am planning on going to the states to do a full panel in the near future as I live close to the boarder.
Curious if anyone else has noticed the same thing or knows anything about the topic. Thanx.

I get the same feeling the next day. Big time. Which confuses me because I have a RAGING headache and a RAGING hard on at the same time.

Same here. It’s about the ONLY time I feel libido/arousal.

I read somewhere it occurs because when the body is hungover, it tries to compensate with releasing some extra dopamine.; Who knows though.

I also wondered if the alcohol gives you estrogen burst or something.

I doubt alcohol lowers shbg that much in one drinking session. My guess is it something to do with neurotransmitters and lack of sleep. Compensation with dopamine.

Interesting topic.

UTTER BULLSHIT!!!

Don’t waste time and money going to the States. I’ve had a dozen labs with SHBG done, in both Ontario and in Quebec. Bloodwork analyzed by Dynacare and the Ottawa Civic Hospital. Get your Dr. to LOOK at the lab forms and FIND that SHBG box to check off, you look too! :)))))

Alcohol is suppose to RAISE SHBG.

Not sure how this works either.

same here im thinking of flying to the states to find a good doc. dont know where to go

Ontario resident here. My doctor requested SHBG which was successfully done, although OHIP does not cover this test and I had to pay out of pocket. I think it was $35. The laboratory requisition form used in ON does not have a box for SHBG so your doc must write it manually in the “Other tests” section.

1 Like

It certainly is an anomaly haha my wife hates it.

It is about the only time I get like that as well. Sometimes if I smoke some weed I get like that too

It’s not in any of the boxes on the forms, I have pictures of them in my other thread if you want to have a look at them. I am in alberta

1 Like

Maybe this is how I need to do it in Alberta. I didn’t know they could request other tests and write them In. Wonder if I can get a sensitive E2 test also in Canada.

Here is a link to the study I was referring to, probably should have added it to my original post. Association of cigarette smoking, alcohol consumption, and physical activity with sex steroid hormone levels in US men - PubMed

Interesting… I presume that’s a simple GP. I’m with a urologist and SHBG is on the form to check off AND IT’S FREE. I’ve never had to pay for any blood work, except via our outrageous liberal tax policies!

And truth be told, between you and me… my uro didn’t check off SHBG once… so I did. LMAO

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

SHBG test available in B.C. as well for free under msp.

I experience the exact same libido response when I’ve have a heavy night on the booze. It’s the only time I feel anything libido wise. I think it’s to do with dopamine, not SHBG.

Back in the day when I was a naughty boy and used to take recreational drugs I had the same response, the day after a big night out I would be horny as hell.

So the question is… how can we get this positive libido response without resorting to getting drunk or taking illegal drugs everyday?

That would be a wonderful day to figure that out.

Digging up another fossil. Hopefully someone has some insight.

Had the same response from heavy drinking when I was on 100mg of cyp/week with 6.25mg of Aromasin day after shot. Libido and erections were on point. Too bad energy and sense of well-being didn’t follow.

I have another question about SHBG.
How low is very low? I mean is slightly below the range ok? Or should it be close to midrange? I never saw a clear answer for this…

Higher SHBG is a marker for longevity and good health, up to a point obviously. Midrange or higher is probably better in many ways.