T Nation

Quality of Life After Competing?

What would you say a ifbb pro or even a ammature who hits the stuff hard is going to have to take after competing to be able to function… I imagine testosterone therapy,thyroid medication, cholesterol medication, insulin, hgh maybe, Blood pressure medication, stuff for joints, chiropractic therapy, scans for tumors and growths, maybe even kidney dialysis…Does anyone who competes seriously really now the answer to this and how does it feal going through all the nescisary medical stuff like testosterone replacement and what not…

Do you just feal like shit and wanna say fuck you to the magazines for promoting it all and feel like dying or is it not that bad? I think before turning myself into a human ginny pig i would like to know what im gonna feel like and will i be thinking 15 years from now why the fuck did i do this to my body.

Dude you’re 25. You’re natural testosterone peak will be at age 28 on average.
You’re saying you wanna be ifbb pro in the other thread. How hard do you train? How well do you eat? How much do you weight and bf%?

You have to think to yourself, how can it be healthy to pump yourself full of synthetic hormones and anti-cancer medications year-round and still expect to be completely fine in the long run?
I dont know the doses that pro’s take but the fact alone of carrying unnatural amounts of muscle would stress the body a fair bit.

Some will argue that regular health checks will make sure you are fine, however I still think it is an unhealthy hobby IMO. Anyone arguing that it is not is simply being ignorant.
AAS can be used safely, but I do not think you can afford to use them safely being an IFBB pro (my opinion).

SB

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
You have to think to yourself, how can it be healthy to pump yourself full of synthetic hormones and anti-cancer medications year-round and still expect to be completely fine in the long run?
I dont know the doses that pro’s take but the fact alone of carrying unnatural amounts of muscle would stress the body a fair bit.

Some will argue that regular health checks will make sure you are fine, however I still think it is an unhealthy hobby IMO. Anyone arguing that it is not is simply being ignorant.
AAS can be used safely, but I do not think you can afford to use them safely being an IFBB pro (my opinion).

SB[/quote]

It is definetely an unhealthy hobby. Walking around at 300 pounds is not normal (we are talking IFBB pro). But on the other hand, I don’t think that if you stay in that weight for a decade could do that much bad in your body.

[quote]Mad -scientist wrote:
What would you say a ifbb pro or even a ammature who hits the stuff hard is going to have to take after competing to be able to function… I imagine testosterone therapy,thyroid medication, cholesterol medication, insulin, hgh maybe, Blood pressure medication, stuff for joints, chiropractic therapy, scans for tumors and growths, maybe even kidney dialysis…Does anyone who competes seriously really now the answer to this and how does it feal going through all the nescisary medical stuff like testosterone replacement and what not…

Do you just feal like shit and wanna say fuck you to the magazines for promoting it all and feel like dying or is it not that bad? I think before turning myself into a human ginny pig i would like to know what im gonna feel like and will i be thinking 15 years from now why the fuck did i do this to my body.
[/quote]

Can you tell me the name of even one retired pro bodybuilder who has to go through every one of those medical treatments? I’m not saying some don’t but, I am pretty sure your over reacting by a mile.

first off im 23, and everything ive heard testosterone peaks around 18 to 24 and starts declining at 25. I am almost fully recovered from 2 fractured arms Im about 5’11 and a half I weigh 205 and im about 12 percent body fat. But I have just got back into the swing of training again and to be honest lol even though honesty doesnt get you far on forums usually, i started drinking during that period and got depressed which i learned alot from I decided to stop feeling sorry for my self and get my ass back in the gym.

I have been in way better shape in my life like 8 percent body fat at 205. But i made some mistakes and went down the wrong roads in life. I realize how much body building means to me and I really want to see how far i can take it. When it comes to training i train as intensely as my body can handle past the point of failure. Lol you asked i was gonna just ignore the question but i decided to just be honest. And I’m in the process of making a diet right now i wasnt eating healthy when i was injured and am starting to again.

Everybody has different obstacles in life im being honest about mine so if any one wants to hate on me they can. When it comes down to it only You really know what your made of and what your capable of doing. The only reason i went into detail about this is my stats right now aren’t that of somebody working out to compete so I wanted to explain why. Those are all natural stats to lol that would suck if i was on gear and looked like that!

I dont know of any pro’s who are on that much medication i was just naming a host of different things. I imagine that the average pro though would be on testosterone replacement and thyroid medication if they abused it and blood pressure medication and most likely cholesterol to. Im just curious if anyone really knew what happens to hardcore competitors when they are done.

and i almost forgot but natural testosterone at 28 wont help a bodybuilder to much in my opion because if your competing that hard your not gonna have any left by then cause of the steroids. I mean most pro’s where juicing at 21 to 23 when they started as a amateur.

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
You have to think to yourself, how can it be healthy to pump yourself full of synthetic hormones and anti-cancer medications year-round and still expect to be completely fine in the long run?
I dont know the doses that pro’s take but the fact alone of carrying unnatural amounts of muscle would stress the body a fair bit.

Some will argue that regular health checks will make sure you are fine, however I still think it is an unhealthy hobby IMO. Anyone arguing that it is not is simply being ignorant.
AAS can be used safely, but I do not think you can afford to use them safely being an IFBB pro (my opinion).

SB[/quote]

Women are encouraged by society and their physicians to “pump themselves full of synthetic hormones” year round from their teens into their 40’s. Why the double standard? I’m not trying to single you out on this issue. It is a hypocritical double standard that is accepted out of blind ignorance by the vast majority of people.

I’m not sure to which you refer as a hobby - taking AAS, or bodybuilding, so I will assume it is the AAS. Please correct me if my assumption is inaccurate.

You’re not sure of the dosages taken, yet you say it’s ignorant to argue with your opinion that it is not unhealthy. I would like to know the basis of such confidence given that you have neither defined the dosages nor have you clearly stated your definition of healthy. Ditto with respect to your use of the word “safely”.

My opinion is that there are about 7 billion people on this planet and about 7 billion different definitions of healthy.

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Mad -scientist wrote:
What would you say a ifbb pro or even a ammature who hits the stuff hard is going to have to take after competing to be able to function… I imagine testosterone therapy,thyroid medication, cholesterol medication, insulin, hgh maybe, Blood pressure medication, stuff for joints, chiropractic therapy, scans for tumors and growths, maybe even kidney dialysis…Does anyone who competes seriously really now the answer to this and how does it feal going through all the nescisary medical stuff like testosterone replacement and what not…

Do you just feal like shit and wanna say fuck you to the magazines for promoting it all and feel like dying or is it not that bad? I think before turning myself into a human ginny pig i would like to know what im gonna feel like and will i be thinking 15 years from now why the fuck did i do this to my body.
[/quote]

Can you tell me the name of even one retired pro bodybuilder who has to go through every one of those medical treatments? I’m not saying some don’t but, I am pretty sure your over reacting by a mile.[/quote]

[quote]Mad -scientist wrote:
and i almost forgot but natural testosterone at 28 wont help a bodybuilder to much in my opion because if your competing that hard your not gonna have any left by then cause of the steroids. I mean most pro’s where juicing at 21 to 23 when they started as a amateur. [/quote]

One of the major misconceptions about taking AAS is that they make you huge. They don’t. They can’t. Not by themselves. Another major myth is that the term “steroids” accurately describes everything that falls under the canopy of AAS. That’s like saying that every possible geometric configuration can be accurately described as a “shape”.

You seem to be looking only at the end game of being a pro, and ignoring the hours and hours of time combined with the barrels upon barrels of sweat and blood the pros have spent in gyms, on treadmills, in the kitchen. They have will, discipline, patience, and a threshold for pain that very few people have.

Until you have actually lived their lifestyle every hour of every day for a couple of years - at the very minimum - thinking about how much gear you’re gonna need to be on to win your card is a textbook case of cart before the horse.

Do you have any factual support for your last statement? Can you define the term juicing? Specifically, what constitutes juicing for a 21-23 year old?

I just wanted to know the answere to my question if anyone really knew any one who competed and if they felt like shit all the time from the drugs and the quality of life once they stopped. But ill answere your questions. Im not sure if bodybuilding or aas being a hobby was directed towards me but ill asume it was and say body building is my hobby i havent touched any steroids for a year and a half. And i dont care what you say but steroids will make you huge by them selfs it would be a waist to not work out and take them.

but i have personally witnessed people take tren and test prop and get huge and abuse drugs at the same time and never hit the gym and they still gained alot of muscle and barely any water weight. And Im not looking at the end game only. Im actually looking at the entire picture im asking about one particuler part of a long equation I thought that it go’s without saying the insane dedication that they all have i assumed that everyone knew that so why mention it.

And juicing it at 23 i thought that the term juicing it people would understand im talking about injecting any kind of steroid. And i dont have any factual evidence when pro’s started “juicing” but If kevin levrone was 2nd in the mr olympia at 24 man you do the math its not rocket science. Damn I wish people could try to answere my questions instead of just logging on and saying hey how can i not answere the question and just poke holes in it any way possible apperentally that is way to much to fucking ask for ha ha ha.

oh and airtruth props on posting flex wheeler to that question good example!

The more i thought about this i had to say it how can people give me shit for looking at the end result of what im doing to my body. I think personally that its the smartest thing i can do. And i believe that in order for me to go 100 percent into body building me personally i need to know what im doing to myself and am i willing to have those health problems in trade for living out a dream that i have had.

Maybe some one out there will read this or watch that flex wheeler video and be like damn i don’t want to deal with that and it will stop somebody from making a decision that they don’t fully understand the consequences of. If your willing to deal with the consequences do it. Its hard to believe things about sports drugs when you read it on a sign in the gym locker room saying WARNING STEROID USE MAY CAUSE and then it lists a million things.

After the lies about marijuana in the early days i find it hard to believe anything from somebody who hasnt used it. I know theres somebody out there who understands what i mean.