Pulldowns And Pullups

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Rbesemer wrote:

Two objects dropped from the same height will hit the ground at the same time regardless of mass/weight (not accounting for air friction). The only reason the heavier weight in your example reaches the ground first is because its dropped from half the distance as the 20lb weight (3 stories vs 6). Heavier objects don’t fall faster.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/gravity.htm

Damnit, you beat me.

It’s true DB. The only reason one would land before the other is because they’re being dropped from different height. A 10kg and 20kg plate, dropped at the same time from the same height will fall at the same rate and land at the same time.

I agree with your reasoning, but I think you’ve used a bad example here.

I find pull ups give me a lot of carryover to pull downs, but pull downs don’t help my pull up performance. I do both, but always do the bodyweight exercises first, when I’m fresh. [/quote]

Alright, you guys convinced me. Geez, I feel sooooooo stooopid.

DB

[quote]john-lennon wrote:
you didnt answer my question but thanks for coming out, and yes im a pussy for doing a lat pull down when im unable to do a pull up or a chin up because im not strong enough to lift my 294 pound body[/quote]

Is that 294 muscle or are you the lord of the doughnuts? If you have big muscles, why shouldn’t you be able to do a chin-up? I can do 145 plus my bodyweight (185) and I have only been doing them since November of 2005.

My advice: If you can’t do a single chin, do as much as you can do, even if it is a 1/4 chin. Repeat 3 times a week until you build up to a half and so on until you can do a whole one, and then repeat.

Don’t waste your time with those bullshit pull downs. Chins are the real deal. They will also make your bench press go up as well.

okay but should i do chins AND pull ups? they are different movements arent they? chin up is underhand grip closer spacing and pull up wide overhand grip

i just dont wanna do pull ups and chins and then dips and hit the same muscles 3 times in a row

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
It’s simple really. A pulldown utilizes gravity to help you move the weight. That’s why it’s called a pullDOWN.

For example, if you dropped a 50lb weight from a 3 story building, it will hit the ground before a 20lb weight from a 6 story building. It’s simply heavier.

DB

Did you ever take a physics class before?
[/quote]

yeah like JC said, Velocity is initial velocity plus acceleration x time. mass is not a factor, so your example is not valid. and the gravity effect does not help you, thats what you’re fighting.

I guess its not simple… really…

Old fart saying. If you can’t do a “insert bodyweight exercise here”, you are either too fat, too weak, or both. OK, blah blah, barring injury, blah blah.

i never claimed anything else, i just said i couldnt do a chin up or a dip with my body weight thats all, and ive asked like 6 times if i should be doing pull ups and chin ups an dips or just one of those two with dips and everyone just keeps picking at different parts of what ive said and ignoring that question

You can fucking do all the pulldowns you want kids…just don’t come crying to anyone here if your back development sucks ass.

Chins and pullups kick ass. They literally kick your ass. And all you need is a bar…it’s beautiful…

pulldown easier, we can cheat using gravity … moving our shoulder back to gain momentum.
pullup … no way to cheat, and back/abs will work to stabilize upper body angle, if not it would be reverse barbell row.

i never claimed anything else, i just said i couldnt do a chin up or a dip with my body weight thats all, and ive asked like 6 times if i should be doing pull ups and chin ups an dips or just one of those two with dips and everyone just keeps picking at different parts of what ive said and ignoring that question

[/quote]

I always do them with my palms facing forward, but every once in a while I will do them the other way. I think that if you do them with your palms facing you that you will hit your biceps more.

As for dips… I don’t mess with them because I think that they put too much stress on your shoulders. Plus, whenever I did them, they never made my bench go up. I would rather do close grips for triceps.

Chins/pullups though will make your bench go up.

[/quote]

Why don’t you try 2-3 sets of pull ups first on your back day, then your normal back workout, minus a few sets.

On arm day, or at the end of back day if you don’t have an arm day, a few sets of chin ups first? It’s an exercise like any other, as long as you can do 1 with good form, you have enough foundation to get better at them.

Dips are a completely different beast, but the same goes, do them first on chest day.

With practise, you will get better at all of these. Just ensure that you come down slowly and come up with nice, crisp form. 1 good rep is worth 5 crap ‘bouncy’ reps.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
It’s simple really. A pulldown utilizes gravity to help you move the weight. That’s why it’s called a pullDOWN.

For example, if you dropped a 50lb weight from a 3 story building, it will hit the ground before a 20lb weight from a 6 story building. It’s simply heavier.

DB[/quote]

You are a smartass :slight_smile:

I hope people read that correctly

The 50lb weight from THREE stories
The 20lb weight from SIX stories

Aha but which will hit the ground HARDER?

i dont have an arm or chest day i do upper/lower days and im going to be switching to full body work outs to fit around muay thai soon, so i wanted to cut out all small isolation moves and just focus on big compound movements so i could do a full body workout and hit everything and keep it under 2 hours

my idea is squat deadlift bench incline bench row pullup dip chin up

i just dont want to be killing my lats and arms by doing chins and pull ups if they work the same muscle groups

It’s obvious that Pulldowns are far better than Chins…

I mean why would all the large bodybuilders be doing Pulldowns if they were not in fact superior!

Some of you guys just don’t use your heads.

:slight_smile: