Pulldowns And Pullups

k thanx for all your help i think ill stick with pullups then after reading that

There’s no reason why you can’t do both (I am right now, trying to build up to a good number of wide-grip pullups) but I think it’s recieved wisdom that pullups are a superior mass builder to pull-downs, for the closed-chain/open-chain reasons already stated.

There are benefits to both!

hello to everyone

i have the same problem. i think the problem is with my cns…

It is not the same movement. Pulldown machine puts you in a more optimal position, pullups make you play silly buggers with the balancing.

[quote]muskel wrote:

i have the same problem. i think the problem is with my cns…[/quote]

Why do you believe this? What does your training look like in this regard? Have you put a prolonged effort into increasing your pull-up numbers yet?

Most people in gyms lay back at a 45 degree angle when they do pull downs and heave the weight.

[quote]SpunkayMunkay wrote:
hey all just wondering how come i could easily do 80kg 4x8 on lat pulldown (not the dodgy one with about 50 pulleys, the one with 2 pulleys and perfect form) at a bodyweight of 65kg and struggled to do 4x6 pullups without any weights?[/quote]

For some reason pull downs are a lot easier to do. I think that an article on this site explains it if you do a search for it.

On this same topic how many of you warm up befor doing chins/pull-ups? Do you warm up with pull downs? Or do you just start chins? Some other exercise?

It’s simple really. A pulldown utilizes gravity to help you move the weight. That’s why it’s called a pullDOWN.

For example, if you dropped a 50lb weight from a 3 story building, it will hit the ground before a 20lb weight from a 6 story building. It’s simply heavier.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
It’s simple really. A pulldown utilizes gravity to help you move the weight. That’s why it’s called a pullDOWN.

For example, if you dropped a 50lb weight from a 3 story building, it will hit the ground before a 20lb weight from a 6 story building. It’s simply heavier.

DB[/quote]

Two objects dropped from the same height will hit the ground at the same time regardless of mass/weight (not accounting for air friction). The only reason the heavier weight in your example reaches the ground first is because its dropped from half the distance as the 20lb weight (3 stories vs 6). Heavier objects don’t fall faster.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/gravity.htm

[quote]Rbesemer wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:

DB

Two objects dropped from the same height will hit the ground at the same time regardless of mass/weight (not accounting for air friction). The only reason the heavier weight in your example reaches the ground first is because its dropped from half the distance as the 20lb weight (3 stories vs 6). Heavier objects don’t fall faster.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/gravity.htm[/quote]

You’re not seriously questioning me are you? The fact that you present a different theory (and a website - now there’s incontrovertible evidence if ever I saw it) does not disprove mine. I stand by what I said.

DB

[quote]Rbesemer wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:

DB

And, you wasted your first post on T-Nation on me??? I’m both flattered and disappointed (for you of course).

Welcome,
DB

Check out today’s training tip. Should have all the info you need.

okay here is a question pull ups and dips

or chin ups and dips? or pull ups chin ups an dips?

once im able to do them decently id like to replace some of my smaller isolation work with the pullup/chin and dips but im not sure if i should be doing pull ups and chins

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:

DB[/quote]

Did you ever take a physics class before?

[quote]john-lennon wrote:
okay here is a question pull ups and dips

or chin ups and dips? or pull ups chin ups an dips?

once im able to do them decently id like to replace some of my smaller isolation work with the pullup/chin and dips but im not sure if i should be doing pull ups and chins[/quote]

Pull downs are for pussies. Real men do chins or pull ups.

you didnt answer my question but thanks for coming out, and yes im a pussy for doing a lat pull down when im unable to do a pull up or a chin up because im not strong enough to lift my 294 pound body

[quote]Rbesemer wrote:

[/quote]
Damnit, you beat me!

It’s true DB. The only reason one would land before the other is because they’re being dropped from different heights. A 10kg and 20kg plate, dropped at the same time from the same height will fall at the same rate and land at the same time.

I agree with your reasoning, but I think you’ve used a bad example here.

I find pull ups give me a lot of carryover to pull downs, but pull downs don’t help my pull up performance. I do both, but always do the bodyweight exercises first, when I’m fresh.

The best reason for me to do pullups instead of pulldowns?

My lat pulldown will only safely hold 150lbs. Break a cable doing face pulls once and you’ll understand why we don’t break rules on max weight for the machine.

Pullups, I can do my own 185lbs and if I get bored doing endless pullups, I can strap on some weight around my waist and shorten the workout up considerably.