Pull-ups

Ok I’m finally able to do regular pull-ups(my gym has those weird angled ones,ugh)cause I got my summer job again.Last summer I could do 5 sets of 10 of over/underhand grip easy.I find it taxing to do 2 sets now.I was 160 last summer and 208 now.I have a lot more muscle.

But could this be because I used to train for endurance and not for strength?or does the weight just make that much of a difference?I’m through bulking for now since I work at a pool and gotta show off for the hunnies, so I’m going back to endurance training.

Will that help me get my pull-ups back to what they where?or would I have to drop below 200 to get the 5 sets.

[quote]jmwintenn wrote:
Ok I’m finally able to do regular pull-ups(my gym has those weird angled ones,ugh)cause I got my summer job again.Last summer I could do 5 sets of 10 of over/underhand grip easy.I find it taxing to do 2 sets now.I was 160 last summer and 208 now.I have a lot more muscle.

But could this be because I used to train for endurance and not for strength?or does the weight just make that much of a difference?I’m through bulking for now since I work at a pool and gotta show off for the hunnies, so I’m going back to endurance training.

Will that help me get my pull-ups back to what they where?or would I have to drop below 200 to get the 5 sets.[/quote]

40 pounds is a lot of weight. You are doing the equivalent of your old weight plus a 45 lb. plate attached to your body.

jmwintenn,

What has happened is that although you have put on 45lbs of muscle, your relative strength has gone down. So, although you probably look more impressive you have become less efficient at manipulating your own bodyweight.

But don’t worry too much. You can still get back to where you used to be in terms of sets and reps. It will just take time to improve your relative strength.

Good training,

Sentoguy

No you don’t have to drop below 200 to achieve your goal of 5*10.

I have 2 ideas that may help you.

Idea 1.
Do 5 sets with something that you can easily accomplish. Say you can get 5 sets of 7 without failure. If this is so then start off with 5 sets of 5. Do this 2x per week. Next week do 5 sets of 6, 2x per week. Each following week you add a rep to each set. Within a month and a half or so, you’ll be able to accomplish 5 sets of 10.
My reasoning for starting with 55 (if you can do 57 is because this is a progressive type routine and you don’t want to top out before you reach your goal. If you start at the 57 and next week try 58 you might get it, might not…but probably won’t get to the week after of 59. By starting a little lower, you’ll be able to easily handle the first 3 weeks as your body gets used to the routine and by the 4th, 5th week etc. you’ll be challenging yourself, but you will be able to make the jumps easier as your body is getting used to adapting to the added volume.
Weeks (Assuming you can nail 5 sets of 5 reps)
1 5
2 56
3 5
4 58
5 5
6 5*10

Idea 2.
5 sets of 10 is 50 reps. How long does it take to complete 5 sets?? 10 min? 15 min?

How long do you want to be able to complete 5 sets (assuming each set is 10 reps each)? 10 min?

For argument sake, let’s say that you want to complete your 5*10 in 10 minutes. Right now you can’t. The suggestion is that you break it into 20 minutes. There are many ways to accomplish the 50 reps in 20 minutes right? You can do 1 rep every 24 seconds, or 5 every 2 minutes or whatever. The goal here is to shed time off of the 20 minutes in the following workouts. If you do pullups 2x per week you can shed 1 minute off of the 20 each workout and in 6 weeks you’ll be down to 10 minutes for the completion of 50 reps.

Week
1a 20 minutes for 50 pullups
1b 19
2a 18
2b 17
3a 16
3b 15
4a 14
4b 13
5a 12
5b 11
6a 10

Does this make sense?

I hope my ideas helped. Good luck reaching your 5*10 being over 200lbs.

Do as many sets as it takes to get to 30 pullups.

Try to reduce the number sets it takes to get to 30 pullups on each consecutive workout.

Your goal will be to get to 3x10.

Add a 4th set until you can get to 4x10 and then add the 5th set.

Update this thread when you get to 5x10.

Good luck!

Endurance training for the ladies? That’s a new one. What next, “Dynamic Periodization for the bitches”.

What a queer…

[quote]Ryu13 wrote:
Endurance training for the ladies? That’s a new one. What next, “Dynamic Periodization for the bitches”.

What a queer…

[/quote]

I think he means he is going to do high reps in a misguided attempt to get lean.

Their are two obvious reasons why your pull up performance went down

1. You stopped doing pull ups

2. You gained weight

Now if you would of continued doing pull ups while gaining weight you very well could of maintained your performance. However by not doing them gaining weight (even if it was mostly muscle) just hurt your performance even more.

I think kirdog gave some great advice.

A third option is do pull ups EDT style. Meaning set a time limit and try to increase the number of reps withen the given time.