Protein First: Peanut Butter Cups

by Chris Shugart

Candy for Lifters

With 22 grams of protein each and no added sugar, one of these makes a great snack. Two make a meal.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups were my favorite fat-boy candy. Being a fat boy wasn't so fun, though. So these days I make my own... without sugar and with lots of extra protein and a big hit of flavanol-rich dark chocolate. I call it protein-first eating. Get a big dose of protein in every meal and snack and the rest of your diet autoregulates.

Here's Dani whipping up a batch of grown-up peanut butter cups:

Ingredients

Instructions

1. First make the filling: To a bowl, add the MD Protein, PB2, salt, and milk. Stir until it's super thick, like your mama. If needed, add a little extra milk.
  2. Now prepare the chocolate: Toss the chocolate pieces into a microwave-safe bowl and top with MCT oil. Microwave for about 1 minute, stirring at the 30-second mark. If this is too dark for you, whisk in a teaspoon of monk fruit sweetener after heating.
  3. Now make the cups. Silicon cupcake liners (Buy at Amazon) work best. (Paper sticks.) Add a spoonful of melted chocolate to the bottom of each liner and swirl it around to cover the sides. Add about a spoon of the filling to each, then the rest of the chocolate to the top.
  4. Refrigerate until the chocolate sets, about 30 minutes, and enjoy.

Calories & Macros

• Servings 7
  • Calories 190
  • Protein 22
  • Carbs 8
  • Fat 9

MD-Buy-on-Amazon

T Nation earns from qualifying purchases as an Amazon Associate. Read more about our policy.

2 Likes

I’m definitely trying these but I’ll use powdered almond butter instead of peanut butter. Has anyone figured out an approximate cost per serving?

1 Like

We’ve tried it. Works great!

1 Like

Will definitely give it a go. Great video, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Oh man, don’t make me do math! :smile: You’d just have to figure out your cost of each amount of each ingredient (which varies depending on how and where you get it), then figure the cost of the whole recipe, then divide that by the number of servings.

1 Like

Thanks Chris! … you’re one step ahead of me … at least you were able to give me the method for calculation. Can I be excused?.. my brain is full these days LOL!

Here’s a variation. Just replace the PB2 with sugar-free strawberry preserves and you get this:

“What if I don’t have any muffin cups?”

What kind of man doesn’t have pastel muffin cups?!

Okay, yeah, I get it now.

Here’s about the same recipe without the silicone cups. It works, but it’s messy to make: