Proper Gun Handling Technique

[quote]jaybvee wrote:
When he showed the gun to the crowd I was wondering why he didn’t check to see if the gun was loaded or not?

Isn’t that a major rule of gun safety? See if a round is chambered or not even before your finger goes anywhere near the trigger assembly? Sheesh… Continuing the talk after the gunshot wound to his foot seemed a little too much like bravado, especially after his “I’m a professional” statement[/quote]

One of the best statements iv ever heard dealing with gun safety is that the most dangerous gun is an unloaded one. I had a buddy (cop by the way) who shot his friends bed accidentally because he assumed the gun was not loaded when he pulled the trigger.

That’s what happens when you assume… it makes an ass of u and me.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
tom63 wrote:
yorik wrote:
A friend of mine is an ex-Ranger sniper. He says he is always shocked by what he sees at the gun range from police officers who are there to practice. Of course, as a sniper maybe his standards are too high.

You can never have to high of standards with safety. and you don’t need more rules to follow than what Varganir wrote.

Violate one of the four rules, and there’s unlikely to be a problem. It’s when you violate two or more that there’s a real risk of harm.
[/quote]

What I told my son when he had a negligent discharge when he was hunting with me at 12. We were sitting on the edge of a field and I heard a boom. a split second later I realized what he did.

He blew a hole in the ground about ten feet in front of us. After a stern lecture by dad he was sent up to the farm house with an unloaded gun. when I calmed down we had a long talk about safety.

I told him what he did was wrong and reckless, but he only violated one rule. One rule is a precursor of bad. 2 rules will kill someone if you violate them. His gun was pointed in a safe direction which was good.

He has been super safe since. In the long run this probably did more to drill in safety to him than any talking by me. I’ve gotten nice compliments about his professionalism and safety with firearms multiple times at the local range.

[quote]jaybvee wrote:
When he showed the gun to the crowd I was wondering why he didn’t check to see if the gun was loaded or not?

Isn’t that a major rule of gun safety? See if a round is chambered or not even before your finger goes anywhere near the trigger assembly? Sheesh… Continuing the talk after the gunshot wound to his foot seemed a little too much like bravado, especially after his “I’m a professional” statement[/quote]

When he racked the slide the chamber was either empty to begin with or the loaded round was extracted. This would cause a lot of people to think “oh cool, the gun isn’t loaded”.

Obviously in this case the officer forgot that when he released the slide it chambered another round from the magazine. That’s why you remove the magazine first, and then rack the slide to check if it’s unloaded. Even when doing this, the 4 rules still apply.

One tip in remembering the rules is to pretend there’s a laser coming out of the barrel that will cut down anything that comes in it’s way.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
jaybvee wrote:

Isn’t that a major rule of gun safety? See if a round is chambered or not even before your finger goes anywhere near the trigger assembly? Sheesh… Continuing the talk after the gunshot wound to his foot seemed a little too much like bravado, especially after his “I’m a professional” statement

When he racked the slide the chamber was either empty to begin with or the loaded round was extracted. This would cause a lot of people to think “oh cool, the gun isn’t loaded”.

Obviously in this case the officer forgot that when he released the slide it chambered another round from the magazine. That’s why you remove the magazine first, and then rack the slide to check if it’s unloaded. Even when doing this, the 4 rules still apply.

One tip in remembering the rules is to pretend there’s a laser coming out of the barrel that will cut down anything that comes in it’s way. [/quote]

Yup, absolutely correct. Whenever, I use my auto 22 for hunting or any other time I am working with it, I drop the clip first then open the slide and check to make sure it isn’t loaded. In fact whenever checking to make sure a gun is unloaded, I will make the check three or four times with the barrel pointed in a safe direction. Again, this is with any weapon, auto, bolt, lever, pump, single shot, whatever.

D