Proper Gun Handling Technique

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:
Gregus wrote:
It’s actually why i prefer revolvers. Much safer and more powerful anyway, but heavier and bulkier. Perfect for home defense.

this is just a dumb statement. i don’t even know what to say back to it.

Well, yes and no. Gregus makes four statements, some of which are true, some of which are not. Let’s look at them.

1. Revolvers are safer.
    First off, let’s get semantics out of the way. Any gun is “safe” in the hands of a skilled user (assuming the gun is metallurgically and mechanically sound, and the ammunition has been loaded properly), whereas any gun would be “unsafe” in the hands of an idiot, a child, or someone who otherwise didn’t understand the basics of gun handling.

Now, mechanically, a double-action revolver is more difficult to fire unintentionally. You either have to manually cock the hammer and squeeze the trigger, or else squeeze the trigger through a long and heavy pull to cock and fire the piece. In either case, the action is deliberate. Not only that, but it’s consistent, if one trains only to shoot double-action, which is not a bad idea if you anticipate shooting for blood.

A single-action automatic pistol with an exposed hammer gives you many choices. You can carry with an empty chamber, racking the slide before the first shot. You can carry loaded and uncocked, cocking the hammer before the first shot. You can carry cocked and locked, working the safety before the first shot. And of course, after that first shot, you are cocked and unlocked, having to do nothing but squeeze that trigger again. Again, for the expert, this is all second nature, but for the novice, it’s a lot more confusing than “squeeze the trigger in a long, controlled pull for every shot.”

Sure, there are trigger-cocking-only handguns such as the Taurus Millennium and Heckler & Koch VP70Z, which allow a consistent mode of operation (as long as you ignore the Taurus’ quite superfluous thumb safety), but for simplicity, you just can’t beat the double action revolver. And simple means easily learned and retained, which translates to safety.

1. Revolvers are more powerful.
    Obviously not. There is nothing about the design of a revolver that makes it inherently more powerful than a semiautomatic pistol. A Colt .45 automatic and a Colt New Service revolver fire the same round, with equivalent barrel length. They are practically identical in the “power” department.

What can be said, however, is that revolvers are commonly available to fire more powerful cartridges than automatic pistols are. There are exceptions, such as the .44 Magnum Auto Mag, the AMT Grizzly, and the Desert Eagle, but I wouldn’t want to carry any of those monstrosities. They’re also ridiculously expensive, even if you can find them.

1. Revolvers are heavier and bulkier.
    Only if you figure weight divided by capacity, rather than weight divided by kinetic energy of the round it fires. Contrary to overwhelmingly popular opinion, you don’t need a handgun that holds half a box of ammunition in its magazine for self defense. What you need is a pistol that will end the engagement with the minimum number of shots fired. Knocking down an assailant with one center hit from a .45 is going to look a lot better to a jury than punching thirteen 9 mm holes in his worthless carcass.

A fully-loaded double action revolver is no heavier nor 'bulkier" than an automatic pistol firing an equivalently powerful cartridge, with equivalent barrel length. Even the Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt is three ounces lighter than the .45 Win Mag Grizzly, which you’d be hard pressed to find, let alone find ammunition for.

1. Revolvers are perfect for home defense.
    As I’ve said before, the “perfect” firearm for home defense is the one you have on you or within immediate reach when you need it. Any gun can be “perfect” if you are proficient with it, and it’s loaded with ammunition appropriate to the task.

That said, I’ll reiterate that for the vast majority of people, who probably won’t take the time to acquaint themselves intimately with the operation of their weapon, a large-caliber double-action revolver makes much more sense than a semiautomatic pistol for home defense, self-defense, and (as this video makes painfully clear) police work.[/quote]

You know what? Thanks for articulating exactly what i meant by my comment. I don’t know why it was misconstrued like i said autos are a less safe pistol due to some inhered design flaw. I was merely comparing the revolver and auto as the revolver being more stupid proof in regards to a screw up in leaving a round in the chamber.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:
Gregus wrote:
It’s actually why i prefer revolvers. Much safer and more powerful anyway, but heavier and bulkier. Perfect for home defense.

When youre smarter you’ll figure out what to say. Seriously WTF? A revolver is a more fool proof weapon for the uninitiated. How dumb do you have to be to not realize that?

The round in the chamber is something that caught many very competent shooters by surprise when they made a human error. Much like that officer did. To err is human. Granted that gun is very safe and literally fool proof, the human is not. [/quote]

Gregus, I agree with you. Let’s put it this way, if I had to give a person who had no experience at all with a firearm and quickly show them the basics and send em off in the wild. In a situation where they might have to use it to defend themselves or take wild game, I’d give them a revolver. Much simpler to operate and the newbie much less veteran DEA officer has much less chance of fucking up and accidentally shooting themselves or others.

D

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Indeed my friend. Given the choice you’ll generally find me packing a revolver.

One other point I don’t believe we’ve covered is that in terms of an outdoor survival situation where you might be covering hard terrain and taking blows from falling and such. You have a much more rugged durable weapon in a revolver that will withstand dirt, grime, and and unexpected blows, then an auto would.

D[/quote]

We actually touched on that a little over on the “If you could have only one gun” thread.

The corollary to that, of course, being that while it’s relatively easier to get a an automatic pistol to malfunction, getting a jammed pistol back into operation is also, generally speaking, a pretty simple task.

True, it takes a hell of a lot to cause a properly-maintained double action revolver to malfunction, same as is the case with a bolt-action rifle. If you do manage to fuck it up, though, it takes a hell of a lot to un-fuck it.

Why would the government put that video on the internet?

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Gregus wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:
Gregus wrote:

When youre smarter you’ll figure out what to say. Seriously WTF? A revolver is a more fool proof weapon for the uninitiated. How dumb do you have to be to not realize that?

The round in the chamber is something that caught many very competent shooters by surprise when they made a human error. Much like that officer did. To err is human. Granted that gun is very safe and literally fool proof, the human is not.

Gregus, I agree with you. Let’s put it this way, if I had to give a person who had no experience at all with a firearm and quickly show them the basics and send em off in the wild. In a situation where they might have to use it to defend themselves or take wild game, I’d give them a revolver. Much simpler to operate and the newbie much less veteran DEA officer has much less chance of fucking up and accidentally shooting themselves or others.

D[/quote]

Thanks dude. We’re in agreement.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Why would the government put that video on the internet?[/quote]

Because there is an element of humor in it? Did you listen to what he was saying?

[quote]Gregus wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

Because there is an element of humor in it? Did you listen to what he was saying? [/quote]

He was lucky it was his foot and not one of the children. I feel bad for the guy, but damn c’mon now! He’s the professional and he fucked up as bad as you possibly can. Opens the door for any enemies he’s made in his career to get payback. And, we all know everyones got an enemy or two with the politics inherent in a job like that.

D

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:
Gregus wrote:

Gregus,since you allude to believing that semi-auto pistols accidentally go off by themselves…why in the hell would a revolver be any different?

Glock is a safe firearm…but its not immune to human error and stupidity…which is the case for ALL firearms.

They don’t accidentally go off. No such thing. I said that because a revolver is more “error proof” when you’re at your darwinian lowest. Pull the drum out and thats all theres to it. No chambered round to accidentally make an error on.

BTW: im pro guns so don’t misunderstand what im saying.

[/quote]

Just a case of misunderstanding…I see your angle…even more so after reading Varq’s(and Dedicated’s) post.

thank you.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

Because there is an element of humor in it? Did you listen to what he was saying? [/quote]

So they didn’t even think about being sued bye him? Or the negative attention it would bring to the police department.

Maybe a personal vendetta by another agent? Or someone thought it was really funny. I think it’s really funny too. Not that he shot himself, but the situation.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Maybe a personal vendetta by another agent? Or someone thought it was really funny. I think it’s really funny too. Not that he shot himself, but the situation. [/quote]

I get the sense from the video and the pro se complaint that he thought a great deal of himself. It could be that there were more than a few of his DEA mates who might want to take him down a few notches.

I am surprised he wasn’t fired

When he showed the gun to the crowd I was wondering why he didn’t check to see if the gun was loaded or not?

Isn’t that a major rule of gun safety? See if a round is chambered or not even before your finger goes anywhere near the trigger assembly? Sheesh… Continuing the talk after the gunshot wound to his foot seemed a little too much like bravado, especially after his “I’m a professional” statement

[quote]jaybvee wrote:
When he showed the gun to the crowd I was wondering why he didn’t check to see if the gun was loaded or not?[/quote]

Rule One: ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded: FAIL

Rule Two: Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not prepared to destroy: I don’t think he was prepared to destroy his leg (or his career), so FAIL.

Rule Three: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target: BIG FAT FAIL.

Rule Four: Be sure of your target, and what’s behind it: not necessarily relevant to this situation, unless his intended target was his own anatomy, in which case he’s a bigger idiot than we thought, so FAIL.

If all people (including cops) were required to know these four rules backwards, forwards, and upside down before owning a firearm, and recite them silently every time they prepare to pick one up, there would be no more negligent discharges.

Hell, if people would just keep rules one and three in mind, 99 percent of all firearms mishaps would disappear.

While mostly true, I’m also going to point out that officers have to deal with discretion on when and where it’s proper to fire a weapon. We just had an Ottawa county sheriff’s deputy shoot a college student being served a search warrant for marijuana (apparently quite a bit but it was all swept under the rug). The officer came in through the back with a partner and the kid threw up a hand to block the flashlight in his eyes and the officer took it as a furtive movement (not too sure how). The kid was shot in the right chest, the officer is getting unlawful discharge of a firearm and probably getting fired.

My point is that even if the muzzle is over something you’re prepared to destroy you better be just as prepared to disengage your target.

Oh yea, the kid was released from the hospital to go back to the university, and then the next day the prosecutor stuck him with the drug charges. LOL

A friend of mine is an ex-Ranger sniper. He says he is always shocked by what he sees at the gun range from police officers who are there to practice. Of course, as a sniper maybe his standards are too high.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
jaybvee wrote:
When he showed the gun to the crowd I was wondering why he didn’t check to see if the gun was loaded or not?

Rule One: ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded: FAIL

Rule Two: Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not prepared to destroy: I don’t think he was prepared to destroy his leg (or his career), so FAIL.

Rule Three: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target: BIG FAT FAIL.

Rule Four: Be sure of your target, and what’s behind it: not necessarily relevant to this situation, unless his intended target was his own anatomy, in which case he’s a bigger idiot than we thought, so FAIL.

If all people (including cops) were required to know these four rules backwards, forwards, and upside down before owning a firearm, and recite them silently every time they prepare to pick one up, there would be no more negligent discharges.

Hell, if people would just keep rules one and three in mind, 99 percent of all firearms mishaps would disappear.[/quote]

Exactly, Jeff’s rules were very brief, to the point and accurate. Most other firearms rules get a little to complicated. Treat a gun as if it is loaded lets people get sloppy.

Very few people take a cordless drill or chainsaw and stick on their arm or buddies chest because they know “it’s not plugged in”.

[quote]yorik wrote:
A friend of mine is an ex-Ranger sniper. He says he is always shocked by what he sees at the gun range from police officers who are there to practice. Of course, as a sniper maybe his standards are too high.[/quote]

You can never have to high of standards with safety. and you don’t need more rules to follow than what Varganir wrote.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
yorik wrote:
A friend of mine is an ex-Ranger sniper. He says he is always shocked by what he sees at the gun range from police officers who are there to practice. Of course, as a sniper maybe his standards are too high.

You can never have to high of standards with safety. and you don’t need more rules to follow than what Varganir wrote.
[/quote]

Violate one of the four rules, and there’s unlikely to be a problem. It’s when you violate two or more that there’s a real risk of harm.