Prime Time: Sport Muscles

How about for wrestling (Folkstyle)? I know upper body pulling is very important, as well as legs, but am not sure about the specifics.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
How about for wrestling (Folkstyle)? I know upper body pulling is very important, as well as legs, but am not sure about the specifics. [/quote]

Hip Extension
Knee Extension
Humeral Extension
Elbow Flexion
Grip Strength

Wrestling is pretty chaotic, though; you’re going to have a lot of variety, so you’ll need to train a little bit of everything (e.g. elbow extension, humeral flexion).

EC would you know of any good sport biomechanics website? any place to get some more info?

What does everyone think of Rocky jumps? Rocky 4 and 2 I believe, he’s training in and he has a log on his traps(squat position) and he’s concentric so he’s knees are bent and he’s hopping up and down but staying in the bent position

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
KombatAthlete wrote:
How about for wrestling (Folkstyle)? I know upper body pulling is very important, as well as legs, but am not sure about the specifics.

Hip Extension
Knee Extension
Humeral Extension
Elbow Flexion
Grip Strength

Wrestling is pretty chaotic, though; you’re going to have a lot of variety, so you’ll need to train a little bit of everything (e.g. elbow extension, humeral flexion).[/quote]

Very true, although pulling is far more important than pushing. Dan Gable, the greatest American wrestler, said that squats,chins, and cleans were his favorite exercises. What do you think of his reccomendations? Also what is humeral flexion?

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
EC would you know of any good sport biomechanics website? any place to get some more info?[/quote]

A few good starter books for you would be:

“Sports Mechanics for Coaches” by Carr

and

“Kinetic Anatomy” by Behnke

In terms of valuable websites, pubmed.com will always be your #1 resource. You just need to do the leg work ahead of time so that you’re prepared to interpret what you read.

Eric Cressey wrote:
KombatAthlete wrote:

Hip Extension
Knee Extension
Humeral Extension
Elbow Flexion
Grip Strength

Wrestling is pretty chaotic, though; you’re going to have a lot of variety, so you’ll need to train a little bit of everything (e.g. elbow extension, humeral flexion).

Very true, although pulling is far more important than pushing. Dan Gable, the greatest American wrestler, said that squats,chins, and cleans were his favorite exercises. What do you think of his reccomendations? Also what is humeral flexion?
[/quote]

Gable definitely knows his stuff, and I agree with his exercise selection. I was just noting the pushing stuff from a training balance standpoint.

Humeral flexion = shoulder flexion (think of a front raise).

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
What does everyone think of Rocky jumps? Rocky 4 and 2 I believe, he’s training in and he has a log on his traps(squat position) and he’s concentric so he’s knees are bent and he’s hopping up and down but staying in the bent position[/quote]

EC any comment?

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
bigpump23 wrote:
What does everyone think of Rocky jumps? Rocky 4 and 2 I believe, he’s training in and he has a log on his traps(squat position) and he’s concentric so he’s knees are bent and he’s hopping up and down but staying in the bent position

EC any comment?[/quote]

Rocky IV was a great movie.

All single-leg movements are good.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
fedaykin wrote:
I’m not sure how familiar you are with Brazilian Jiu-jitsu - but how about passing the guard and side control ESCAPES (specifically those from Mr. Roy Harris).

Not very, unfortunately. If you can get me a video, I’d be happy to help you out, though.[/quote]

well, I can’t find a video of escapes(unless your using combinations, which I could see as a problem) so I’m going to ask a LOADED one: open guard control.

http://206.169.164.157/royharris/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=689&Itemid=57

the guy on bottem is the one I am concerned with(he is playing guard, controlling his opponent from his back using his legs and arms).

In wrestling a strength-speed movement is executed every five seconds for three two minute rounds. How would you reccomend training for this?

What about executing a tackle in rugby.
I assume the posterior chain will be used but what else.
For improving the posterior chain do you recommend exercises like step ups, lunges, sled dragging.

Mr. Cressey

Thanks for your excellent articles and programs they have helped me and the athletes I work with tremendously.

Would you be so kind as to apply your considerable knowledge to the movement of the basketball player applying individual, full-court defensive pressure to his opponent? How about some exercises to strengthen the necessary muscles?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer.

[quote]fedaykin wrote:
Eric Cressey wrote:
fedaykin wrote:
I’m not sure how familiar you are with Brazilian Jiu-jitsu - but how about passing the guard and side control ESCAPES (specifically those from Mr. Roy Harris).

Not very, unfortunately. If you can get me a video, I’d be happy to help you out, though.

well, I can’t find a video of escapes(unless your using combinations, which I could see as a problem) so I’m going to ask a LOADED one: open guard control.

http://206.169.164.157/royharris/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=689&Itemid=57

the guy on bottem is the one I am concerned with(he is playing guard, controlling his opponent from his back using his legs and arms).[/quote]

It’s going to be your classic hip and knee extension combination, but with extra contribution from the adductors and abductors due to the instability one faces with a moving opponent (as opposed to the stationary ground).

Obviously, core stability and proficiency in trunk flexion, hip flexion, lateral flexion, and rotation are all key in this regard.

In wrestling a strength-speed movement is executed every five seconds for three two minute rounds. How would you reccomend training for this?[/quote]

Wrestle!

Actually, it depends on the time period; if one is in-season or immediately pre-season, it would be a lot different than if he was in the offseason.

[quote]Springcoil wrote:
What about executing a tackle in rugby.
I assume the posterior chain will be used but what else.
For improving the posterior chain do you recommend exercises like step ups, lunges, sled dragging.[/quote]

It’s tough to find any sporting movement that doesn’t rely heavily on the posterior chain, and this is no exception, although how much the PC contributes is dependent on the angle from which the tackle is made.

Those exercises are good choices, as are deadlift variations, Olympic lifts, GHRs, good mornings, and reverse hypers.

[quote]rackrecker wrote:
Mr. Cressey

Thanks for your excellent articles and programs they have helped me and the athletes I work with tremendously.

Would you be so kind as to apply your considerable knowledge to the movement of the basketball player applying individual, full-court defensive pressure to his opponent? How about some exercises to strengthen the necessary muscles?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer.[/quote]

It’s largely going to be an issue of endurance of key stabilizing muscles and rate of force development and power of other musculature (abductors, adductors, hip extensors, knee extensors, plantarflexors).

How about kicking a football (not soccor).

I’m thinking in terms of Aussie Rules so I’d say I’ll have to relate it to something else.

It’s basically just the same as punting in NFL or kicking the ball in rugby. I’m not sure whether you are going for height or distance in NFL but I’m thinking distance if that makes a difference.

[quote]jacross wrote:
How about kicking a football (not soccor).

I’m thinking in terms of Aussie Rules so I’d say I’ll have to relate it to something else.

It’s basically just the same as punting in NFL or kicking the ball in rugby. I’m not sure whether you are going for height or distance in NFL but I’m thinking distance if that makes a difference.[/quote]

Hip flexion and knee extension. Training to improve ROM at the hip joint is of paramount importance, though.

bump…

I can’t let this one go. There’s too much pertinent sports performance info. for diff. types of athletes such as baseball or football players. Hopefully, people needing help won’t have to search too far and others will be able to add to this thread too.

EC has given an invaluable tidbit for swimmers and cyclists.( these are my primary interests now.)