Prime Time: Sport Muscles

How about swimming crawl stroke (freestyle), specifically for sprinters?

What about lacrosse, a hard shot or pass?

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Ec, I tryed to message you but for some reason the thing won’t work. I’d really like to get in touch with you[/quote]

My email address is at the bottom of all my articles:

ericcressey@hotmail.com

[quote]chints wrote:
I see what you are getting at but isn’t the problem of misuse/overuse/disuse true for any bodypart.

I do realize that following a templace like the WS one, I’m working my lower back well with the ME exercises. However, as I cycle the exercises, sometimes the lower-back is worked extra and sometimes less.

So, from the point of view of injury prevention, what do you recommend? I’d definitely avoid overuse but then how do you define overuse?

Lastly, does my thinking of incorporating low-rep (high weight) and high-rep (bodyweight) have any merit?

Thanks again.

Gary[/quote]

I think that what you’re doing sounds fine. If you’ve identified it as a weakness and can devote volume to strengthening the lumbar erectors instead of to something else, then go for it. I’m just saying that lower back weakness is not as common as people seem to think - at least with respect to experienced lifters.

There’s certainly neuromuscular, biomechanical, and metabolic rationales for including both low and high-rep training for the lumbar erectors, too.

[quote]buckeye75 wrote:
EC, how about blocking in football, and the pulling of an offensive linemen. I would assume the latter would be much like any type of running but I just wanted your thoughts.[/quote]

Again, speaking purely from the prime mover standpoint…

For blocking, it’s pretty simple"

Shoulder Flexion
Elbow Extension
Hip Extension
Knee Extension

Yes, the pull would be similar to regular sprint training demands, but given the lateral movement that the movement includes, you’d have to train it a bit differently to account for the increased contribution of the hip abductors and adductors and trunk rotators.

[quote]Chris Mangano wrote:
How about swimming crawl stroke (freestyle), specifically for sprinters?[/quote]

They need to be good in a bunch of different movements/plane simply because it’s a complex movement. If I had to pick a few important ones, I’d choose the following simply because they’re most involved in propulsion (as opposed to unresisted recovery motion):

Knee Extension
Hip Flexion
Hip Extension
Shoulder Extension
Elbow Extension

Also, freestyle swimmers should be encouraged to roll sufficiently, as it allows the elbow to remain high during the recovery and catch phases of the movement. By keeping the elbow high, the hand leaves the water up at the level of the pelvis instead of at the thigh, thus decreasing the risk of “swimmer’s shoulder,” which can involve the biceps tendon, supraspinatus, labrum, infraspinatus, and/or subacromial bursa. If this roll is utilized, the core musculature (especially the trunk rotators) takes on an increased role.

[quote]john p wrote:
What about lacrosse, a hard shot or pass?[/quote]

It depends on the position of the arms; passing sidearm is going to differ from passing overhead. In the former, it’s going to be horizontal abduction of the lead arm and horizontal adduction of the following arm. In the latter, both arms will be extended, but the lead (cross-body) arm will involve more horizontal abductions, and the trailing arm will horizontally adduct.

Regardless, hip extension, knee extension, and torso rotation are key movements. In the overhead version, trunk flexion and lateral flexion are important, too.

ok EC round 2
A Golfer trying to increase his long shot
a Mountain climber
Centerfielder trying to throw a runner out at home

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
ok EC round 2
A Golfer trying to increase his long shot
[/quote]

Torso rotation
Humeral extension
Elbow Extension
Horizontal Adduction
Horizontal Abduction
Radial/Ulnar Deviation
Hip Extension (more from a stabilization standpoint)

Range of motion is paramount, though; I’ll take increases in dynamic flexibility at the shoulder, hips, and thoracic spine over strength increases in a golfer anyday.

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
a Mountain climber
[/quote]

Elbow flexion
Humeral extension
All variations of grip strength (pinch, crushing, supportive)
Hip extension (especially single-leg)
Knee extension (especially single-leg)
Scapular retraction

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Centerfielder trying to throw a runner out at home
[/quote]

Trunk rotation/flexion
Shoulder Extension
Elbow Extension
Hip Extension
Knee Extension

Obviously, this would be dependent on built-up speed as well.

1. Sex
  2. Channel surfing
  3. Hop-scotch

I’m not sure how familiar you are with Brazilian Jiu-jitsu - but how about passing the guard and side control ESCAPES (specifically those from Mr. Roy Harris).

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
Humeral extension

[/quote]

How would one train for this? have you covered it in any of your previous articles

[quote]fedaykin wrote:
I’m not sure how familiar you are with Brazilian Jiu-jitsu - but how about passing the guard and side control ESCAPES (specifically those from Mr. Roy Harris). [/quote]

Not very, unfortunately. If you can get me a video, I’d be happy to help you out, though.

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Eric Cressey wrote:
Humeral extension

How would one train for this? have you covered it in any of your previous articles[/quote]

Yikes. It’s shoulder extension; think chin-up, pullover, etc.

Now this is a tough one, because i would like you to take a guess at what seems to be most important when trying to maximize gains. Can you not only tell me what is involved but to what extent as well?

One handed dunk.

From what i have heard most athletes have weak hips and can improve best when targeting those weak hips when it comes to sports performance.

I happen to train kind like a powerlifter and i would like to know what i can do to further improve hip strength.

One handed dunk has more to do with being able to grip the ball one handed then anything else, so I’d assume grip strength

[quote]23andbeginner wrote:
Now this is a tough one, because i would like you to take a guess at what seems to be most important when trying to maximize gains. Can you not only tell me what is involved but to what extent as well?

One handed dunk.

From what i have heard most athletes have weak hips and can improve best when targeting those weak hips when it comes to sports performance.

I happen to train kind like a powerlifter and i would like to know what i can do to further improve hip strength.[/quote]

Well, perhaps most important is your ability to grip the ball. Those with middle-of-the-road hand sizes are going to benefit a lot from specific grip work.

The hips are joints, not muscles. I assume you’re referring to the hamstrings, glutes, and adductors.

Yes, the posterior chain is underdeveloped in many athletes. Powerlifting training won’t necessarily improve your vertical jump for the sake of dunking, though. You really need to assess the strength and weaknesses of the athlete prior to recommending HOW to train the posterior chain for improved performance. Some will respond favorably to maximal strength work alone; these are the ones who are naturally gifted with reactive ability (or just play their sport so much that it’s well-developed). Others need a mix of maximal strength work and shock training/speed-strength/strength-speed methods. The last group can actually be negatively affected by maximal strength work, as the slow speed of execution on these lifts increases the explosive strength deficit and slows them down even more.

Also, your question will be dependent on what kind of take-off (approach with one or two legs, or from a standstill).

Without having more detail, your bread and butter resistance training movements should be deadlifts, squats (Olympic and PL style), GHRs, pull-throughs, lunges, step-ups, split squats, Olympic lifts, and jump squats. Tempo and load can be adjusted to put you in the right place on the speed-strength continuum, and they can be complemented by shock training methods.

Wow perfect answer, thank you for taking the time.

Sry about being so sloppy and saying hips when i really meant the posterior chain. You knew what i was talking about though.

This gives me things to do (alot of the suggested auxiliary stuff i never did) as well as new info on how to get better.

I like the two categories, the problem is you can over time gradually go from one category to the other. I just noticed that i probably did from what you said. Seems even logical a year of powerlifting can put you from category 1 to 2. That’s what happend to me. I used to be in the first category until i got injured very often. I now have a very bad knee. (got tackled with the shoulderblades on the knee and the doc said what happend is that a muscle [would you be so kind to tell me which one it probably was?] got hurt and went into relaxed state) Therefore the muscle on top was pulling my knee cap up and that made my knee swell badly. I still get that effect when squatting heavy, trying to play basketball or even walking up steps).

I read some Dave Tate stuff on here about what to do once you developed a bad knee. I am trying it out and especially the band pull (one end on doorhandle other end behind knee with the purple band) seems to help. Could you take a guess at what else would probably help?

I just want to know one more thing.

What do you think about vertical periodisation (like Waterbury does) to take care of the repeated bout effect?

Seems to me like that’s kind of what westside does too just a little different. Waterbury likes to do more hypertrophy work than what i see in typical westside training parameters, but than again there is so many possibilities within that system that a majority just does a lot of isolation type ht work anyway.

I still got more i am sorry, but you are just too damn good and i need your opinion on this:

Would it be a good idea to address my weak points and use a vertical perio approach with 3 macrocycles each concentrating on one thing and trying to put others on hold like Siff, Verhoshansky and Zatsiorsky and others suggest?
For example during the first 4 weeks something like 20 sessions. (I built up the work capacity for that over the last year and with lots of prehab work i get no problems going at it for 16 out of 20 weeks)

14 of those HT with changing parameters from an easy and short 5X5 or a hard 4 x 12 to an extremely hard 10x3.
Next 4 weeks alot more maximal strength work and some speed work while maintaining ht.

The last 4 weeks a little less sessions, lower volume because of dropping isolation work. Incorparating bands and getting some more speed work done. Still with something like 5-6 maximum strength sessions but ht only like once a week.

Within the 4 weeks i would always try to get started slowly and increase intensity relative volume during week 2 and lowering it a little on week 3, so that i can set some new records. Then the last week ist always tapering off
( because it is easy to underrecover :slight_smile:
) and transition to new phase. I will only do 2 hard sessions during that week on what i want to develope in that phase.

I wasn’t going to ask all this but i much likely won’t get too many chances to talk to coaches like the ones on T-Mag. My coaches over in Germany have always been really bad and so i started educating myself through reading literature and also things all over the internet. This place is mecca though :slight_smile:

I hope i get this answered. I wouldn’t mind if any other coach answerded it either, but Cressey, Tate, Simmons (yeah right like he is ever even on here), CT, CW would be the ones i would kill to get them to answer [guess CP won’t answer since he doesn’t even take the weekend warrior type any longer spreading rumors hehe :-)] and while i’m at it i also love [note: in a nonsexual positive T-Man way] reading JB, Atomic Dog, King, De Franco (now let’s hope he doesn’t sue me for stealing the words vertical periodization) and others i propably forget right now.

Tanks again Coach Cressey, you are the man! I am not saying that to get you to answer by the way because even if you don’t it remains a fact. Hey did you move up the USAPL list? Where can i see it anyways. Oh ok it’s on the USAPL websites.