Powerlifting Ain't a Strength Tester

I’m not sure why there are so many feds, but this statement is absolutely true. People bitch and moan about squat depth and bench arch etc to no end. It’s ridiculous. They complain when a fed seems to allow too many lifts to pass, they complain when too few are passed. Nothing will satisy the average powerlifter when it comes to judging.

It’s really strange that we have so many feds that have nearly identical rules, aside from a few minor wording differences in the rule book, and minor variances in allowed equipment.

3 Likes

So somebody with naturally shorter arms is a cheater because you find their ROM unfair?

Is this guy a cheater in deadlifting because his arms are naturally long?

Verdict - you’re hella butthurt over your poverty bench and a deadlift that you woulda gotten red lighted over. If you had the strongest raw bench in the world, you literally would not give two shits about an arch. And before you claim again that you knew that dropping the deadlift was wrong, why did you post it? Thats like the kids who quarter squat sayin “Workin on depth, will get deeper next time”

same goes for sumo. Most of the best deadlifts on record, between strongman and powerlifting, have been done conventionally. Yet people complain about how there’s such a huge advantage to sumo.

1 Like

Lol sorry you feel that way. You can assume what i may be thinking or feeling but you dont know it. If youre really convinced im talking because im butthurt than i cant really convince you otherwise can I. Ive already said its because of philosophical reasons more than anything. Leverages cant be changed,an arch can be changed. Thats why i dont have a problem with short arms benching a lot. Ofc we cant make the world 100% fair but we can push it as much as we can.

All they have to do is be consistent. If a fed consistently passes high squats then whatever, compete there if you want to squat high. If USPA passes parallel squats and then demands “ATG” at the US open then something is wrong.

1 Like

Low bar is cheating too then, actually any back squat is cheating because front squats are harder. And deadlifting without snatch grip is cheating too.

If you only bench 260, you have no business in “philosophical” discussions about powerlifting, especially powerlifters benching way more than you.

1 Like

Differentiate between too much cheating and just pushing the rules a little. Reminder that i never said no arch at all,i only mentioned the exccessive arches.

I dont think bench strengh is a good measure if democracy should be allowed but you do you pal.

I don’t think bench strength is a true indicator of upper body strength either. But I’m not going to discredit and denigrate elite athletes.

I think a big OHP is more impressive and harder to come by.

2 Likes

I guess its my fault for not being more precise with my words. I never said those world level athletes dont deserve to be world level athletes. Actually wait,i did use precise enough words,i said i respect the fact that they do whatever is allowed to win,but youre too focused on my bench numbers to have remembered that. Also ive heard the ohp argument and found it interesting but dont quite get it. The chest is a bigger upper body push muscle so why would the ohp be better?

I’m assuming he’s referring to standing ohp, in which leg drive is also used, and full body stability comes into play. Although even if he’s only talking about strict OHP, it’s still a much more difficult movement to be great at, imo. I used to compete in powerlifting, and reached a 395 bench while competing in the 181 class. At that time, My strict ohp was barely over 200. Once I stopped competing in PL and switched to strongman, I realized just how much more difficult ohp is, and how much more work I’ve had to put into technique.

The bench press certainly engages the chest more than ohp, but ohp at least engages the chest to a degree, and it requires much more shoulder strength, along with similar tricep strength. The bracing is harder, technique is harder, lat engagement is more significant, etc.

1 Like

I missed that part, what a joke. @skinnydeadliftgod has a weak upper body and wants to complain about people arching. I benched 300 with no arch, no leg drive, and basically no technique (I didn’t even retract my shoulder blades) before I got into powerlifting. Even with an arch and gaining weight I still haven’t benched 400 yet. Making excuses for being weak will get you nowhere.

1 Like

The only thing i can assume here is that yall are butthurt af i criticized arches because youre all just making ad hominems. I said several times in this post that im convinced i should let go of my problem with arches and you people are still commentinf in an attempt to put me down or bully me. Stop being so pathetic pls

Don’t play the victim after discrediting and denigrating top athletes and commonly practiced techniques. None of us butthurt, we’re just correcting your perspective. I don’t think any of us are convinced about you letting go of arches because you’re still hating on the guy who benches 140lbs+ more than you (he’s a 181ish lifter btw and just graduated from MIT)

1 Like

I don’t give a fuck what you think. You are a stupid little kid who benches 260. Your opinion means nothing.

It’s odd that you would suggest that we are butthurt, when you are the only one in this thread expressing either concern or dismay about the state of powerlifting as it is. We’re all saying it’s just fine, only you seem to have a problem with it.

I also cannot understand why you would use the word ‘cheating’ to describe someone who is actually performing the lift well within the rules of the federation he competes in. Cheating is, by definition, doing something that defies the rules. Like when Dave Hoff stuck a board under his shirt for a meet, or whatever the fuck that was. That was against the rules. Cheating.

You have also not been bullied in this thread. Your well being has not been threatened in any shape or form. What you have is a handful of people who disagree with your opinion, and who have stated that, while backing their own opinions up to the best of their ability. If you don’t appreciate the quality of their arguments, cool. But that ain’t bullying.

2 Likes

Dawg omg that’s mad harsh. He’s a kid!

If a little boy wants to act like a man you got to beat him like a man.

1 Like

Beat him over the internet with the power of words!

That is why i put cheating in quotating marks. Also,Dave Hoff did that? Wtf