Pope Benedict XVI

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
miniross wrote:
Zap.

the question can be turned around. What are the negatives of homosexuality? What bad comes to societies that tolerate?

Homosexuality is not a choice. this is possibly where doctrine falls on its arse, as it is based on hugely outmoded ideas that it is a choice, a perversion. Between 2 consenting adults, no exploitation, no violence, then there is no problem, surely.

Homosexuality is biologically driven, and by the reckning of the bible where he has made all the greatures, then they are his doing?

miniross, I have a very good friend who is gay and has the HIV virus. Thankfully his drugs are keeping it under control for now. He caught the HIV virus from a homosexual act. That is one damn big negative!

The world is full of wonderful people that are smart, funny, loving and creative and happen to be gay. They bring wonderful things to society. I do not see what the gay sex act brings.

I see it as a destructive behaviour such as acloholism, drug addiction and the various forms of heterosexual promiscuity in the form of premarital sex or extramarital sex. Sure you can have fun doing it, but there are huge negative consequences.

The Church is not about having fun. The Church is about helping people remove the negative behaviour from their lives and hopefully helping their souls to heaven.

I am certainly not holier than thou, and I do not sit in judgement.[/quote]

Oh, so gay love is ok, but soddomy isn’t. Well, we are all damned for those who have gained their brown wings then. You are right, getting an infection that way is negative. would it be less so if i were to contract the virus from a “normal” sexual act? Or would i have been wreckless and irrisponsible? Was i taking risks? Would i be creating an unwanted child?

Also, pre and extramarital sex was around before catholicism, and will be there after. If its aim is to bring that under control, then it’s just flat out falling on its arse. I mean, what are the consequences of sensible pre marital sex?

On a lighter note, catholocism and alcoholism share a lot in common, letters wise!

[quote]Kuz wrote:
miniross wrote:
No such thing as truly selfless virtuosity. The pay off for their chastity and peity is the big reward of going to heaven, as i keep being told. Me, i am off for Gnashing and wailing, apparently.

so in answer to your question, yes, they may want to improve things in one way or another, but the reward is always there, i.e. paradise and eternal love. or something like that.

Ahh, but that is where we disagree. There is a reward in the end, but you are working from an assumption of that reward being the driver as opposed to the conception of most who devote themselves to a life of service - that doing the “good thing” is just a good, in and of itself as well. I’m not sure it is purely the “Do good thing A and get reward B”. I think it is a big generalization to say that ALL people do good things simply for how it will benefit them in the end.

You have never done something nice for someone else just to be nice and not because you thought you could get something from that person later?

Kuz[/quote]

What i would say is that even if there is a selfish act, it can be a virtuous one. This does not take away what a good deed may be.

Why do we respect others, someone who unreasonably risks life and limb, gives blood, organs. we do this more than any other social creature. Why…there are some excellent books on it (origins of virtue, matt ridley) but in the simplest terms, there is a social or status benefit, which benefits your survival and that of your genes, your children. As a group animal, we fare better as a group. cementing groupishness and a status within that group is paramount.

This is why people may be “the funny one”. it reinforces them within their group, they will be liked, supported and morel likely to prosper within that setting.

When you do something good, you get a reward, a feeling. This must have come into being for a reason. that reason was to reinforce behaviours that benefit others, and as a social animal, we need this. it benefits ourselves to benefit others. Put it this way, You guys love your soldiers, they endanger their lives for YOU, risk mortal injury for YOU. Why? for the money, for the glamour? I doubt it. For commeradery, they could join a soft ball team. No choice? maybe… But they are respected (or should be) and achieve a certain esoteric status within their communities. They are an elite, that we look upon with awe, for their sacrifice. they endangered their genes so that yours could prosper. so there must be a pay off. Now, this would of course be an unconcious driver, one that we may not be aware of, but i is there, as real as anything.

When it comes to heaven, the same mechanism is in place. all religions seem to have this “shangrilah”, a “valhalla” for those who do certain deed, and the oposite for those that dont. This is a device which is used to assist in helping people exhibit certain behaviours, to compy, to scarifice.

[quote]miniross wrote:

Also, pre and extramarital sex was around before catholicism, and will be there after. If its aim is to bring that under control, then it’s just flat out falling on its arse. I mean, what are the consequences of sensible pre marital sex?

On a lighter note, catholocism and alcoholism share a lot in common, letters wise![/quote]

Consequences of premarital sex: disease, unwanted pregnancy, (condoms do break), waking up next to an ugly woman, wasting an evening trying to get into some chicks pants while you should be out drinking with the guys, etc.

I do not believe the Church likes premarital sex anymore than it likes gay sex. That is the basis of my posts. The Church does not single out homosexuality. It is just one of many things frowned on.

Alcohol is about the only vice the church allows. It is no wonder alcoholism and Catholicism rhyme.

[quote]miniross wrote:
What i would say is that even if there is a selfish act, it can be a virtuous one. This does not take away what a good deed may be.

Why do we respect others, someone who unreasonably risks life and limb, gives blood, organs. we do this more than any other social creature. Why…there are some excellent books on it (origins of virtue, matt ridley) but in the simplest terms, there is a social or status benefit, which benefits your survival and that of your genes, your children. As a group animal, we fare better as a group. cementing groupishness and a status within that group is paramount.

This is why people may be “the funny one”. it reinforces them within their group, they will be liked, supported and morel likely to prosper within that setting.

When you do something good, you get a reward, a feeling. This must have come into being for a reason. that reason was to reinforce behaviours that benefit others, and as a social animal, we need this. it benefits ourselves to benefit others. Put it this way, You guys love your soldiers, they endanger their lives for YOU, risk mortal injury for YOU. Why? for the money, for the glamour? I doubt it. For commeradery, they could join a soft ball team. No choice? maybe… But they are respected (or should be) and achieve a certain esoteric status within their communities. They are an elite, that we look upon with awe, for their sacrifice. they endangered their genes so that yours could prosper. so there must be a pay off. Now, this would of course be an unconcious driver, one that we may not be aware of, but i is there, as real as anything.

When it comes to heaven, the same mechanism is in place. all religions seem to have this “shangrilah”, a “valhalla” for those who do certain deed, and the oposite for those that dont. This is a device which is used to assist in helping people exhibit certain behaviours, to compy, to scarifice.[/quote]

You make good points, but there is still something missing from all of this - that you are assuming what the rationale and logic is for someone else besides yourself. I am sure there are people who do things for “selfish” reasons (albeit they might very well be virtuous things) but again, that is not going to be everybody. I think that is what I take the most issue with - that it HAS to be a reward based structure.

You write of our soliders and that is a very good example. Why is it they do what they do? Risking their lives to protect John and Jane Doe? To live up to a principle that is important to them - freedom, liberty, etc. Doing something because you have creed or principle you value does not automatically equate to reward, in my mind. I fully believe it is entirely possible to be selfless in your actions whereas you do not… which is fine. We are just going to come at this argument from 2 different viewpoints based on that primary assumption.

Kuz

[quote]jackzepplin wrote:
I, for one, am in a joyful mood about this most perfect decision.

You can let your morals decay, while I embrace the truth of God.

Don’t like it? Then don’t be a Catholic. See ya…[/quote]

OK. Bye.

Well, this thread started with the Pope and ended with the church, dogma and homosexuality (to a big extent).

Here are my 2 cents. By the way I used to be Catholic. I started teaching Sunday school at the age of 13 until I was 19 yrs. old. I have rubbed shoulders with priests and nuns since I was born. I also studied Theology, History of the Church, Christology, and a few more subjects that can’t no loner remember, every summer at a seminary in Mexico during my Sunday teaching days (required to teach Sunday school).

One of the things that I learned is that “The Church” it’s an institution created by men. By definition the Christian church is characterized by an Episcopal hierarchy with the pope (like a King) as its head and belief in seven sacraments and the authority of tradition.

Christianity is a monotheistic system of beliefs and practices based on the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus as embodied in the New Testament and emphasizing the role of Jesus as savior.

This are some issues that I want to point out:

1. The church was part of the political power of the kings. For many years Kings were blessed by God recognized and supported by the church.

2. The church was also (with sanction from Popes) involved during the crusades. On attempts to purify the church and society also led to efforts to rid the Christian world of all non-Christians, who were considered “infidels.” This included Jews, Muslims, and people labeled pagans or gypsies–anyone who practiced pre-Christian or non-Christian traditions. In a non-scientific world where many bishops, scholars, and warriors routinely believed in magic, astrology, and alchemy–the ancient attempt to turn ordinary metal into gold–the lines defining who was Christian, and who was not, could shift rapidly according to the fears and desires of those in power.

3. The church (including nobility) monopolized all knowledge helping to keep the masses in ignorance thus strengthening their power.

4. The church fought any new knowledge that did not come from within. E.g. Earth is not the center of the universe or the Earth not being flat. It fought it with severe punishment and death. The churched punished Galileo for teaching such aberrations.

5. Pope John VII gave indulgences for fighting the Heathen. Also, various Popes sold them to raise money. The Church also created the Inquisition that tortured and murdered many innocent (heretic) lives.

6. The Catholic Church and its Popes had been in the center of murder, corruption, wealth accumulation and nepotism just to name a few. (Just do a search for the Borgia Popes).

7. The Church created its dogmas, doctrines and rituals to consolidate its knowledge and power and to distinguish itself from any pagan beliefs and rituals. Besides, once something is decreed as a dogma, nobody has the right to oppose it without being cast as heretic or being excommunicated.

8. The Church (over the centuries) has translated and re-written the original Bible to their convenience.

9. Political agendas still exist right know between Cardinals, bishops, etc. for power and recognition.

OK. I can go on and on about this, but to summarize:
a.The Church clergy is human (with all its beliefs, dogmas and teachings). Thus not infallible regardless of what any Pope says.

b. The Church will always select it leaders to reflect their own agendas. There is never an anonymous decision for a Pope. So they will select someone that will continue to strengthen their power.

c. It’s amazing that I used to believe in the church teachings for many years. Long ago I realized that trying to figure out if there is a God or how the universe was created it’s inconsequential to me.

J.A.

You have to give the Catholic church credit for really thinking out of the box with Ratzinger.

World changing, massive AIDS deaths throughout the world, and the capable number of priests rapidly decreasing due to celibacy…I know lets pick an ultra-conservative 78 year old pope.

Brillant!

[quote]miniross wrote:
As far as why 2 plus 2 = 4, well, now that is about algorythms, and we would need a biologist, and mathmatician to go into that. [/quote]

Just to set the record straight, 2+2=4 is axiomatic, not algorithmic, if I remember my discrete math. Axioms, or postulates, are taken as given without any proof… they are usually definitions. Algorithms are step by step problem solving procedures.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
miniross wrote:
As far as why 2 plus 2 = 4, well, now that is about algorythms, and we would need a biologist, and mathmatician to go into that.

Just to set the record straight, 2+2=4 is axiomatic, not algorithmic, if I remember my discrete math. Axioms, or postulates, are taken as given without any proof… they are usually definitions. Algorithms are step by step problem solving procedures.
[/quote]

Thank you

You are correct in your description, hence my analogy.

Although some will now argue that it is not a given, but my drift is clear in regards to my analogy.

So your post means what?

We shouldn’t discuss anything that we can’t all agree on. I have read the posts and find that many are not argumentative, but informative.

Maybe if we say Maybe before everything we say that makes it better. I think not. There is a lot of difference out there about religion, but discussion is very rarely a bad idea. Religion is, quite obviously, a very personal subject. That brings out very strong feelings. Nothing wrong with that.

I found for the most part the discussion to be quite civilized and I appreciate others enlightened views.

I’m old, but I can learn.

Although the Roman Catholics (a.k.a. Franco-Latins) are not members of the true Church of Christ (a.k.a. the Eastern Orthodox Church), I applaud that a conservative pope was installed into the supreme rank of power within their church. With the way other “Christian” faiths seem to be selling out to proselytize the world at large while turning their backs on ancient Christian beliefs, it’s refreshing to observe how Roman Catholics are finally sticking to their guns and refusing to budge on various doctrinal issues. With the shameful innovations some pseudo-churches are now preaching, it’s imminent that Christ’s role will completely vanish within their belief systems in the near future, welcoming humanity to a new breed of heresies and blasphemies. Such is the way of the devil, to deceive as many as possible. One of the roles of a true Christian is to uphold the ancient beliefs and teachings which Jesus Christ and His Apostles preached. Adding to or subtracting from the ancient Christian faith and its holy traditions is simply demonic.

Homosexuality has always been condemned by the Eastern Orthodox Church. Kudos to the new Roman pope for preserving this belief.

Female priestesses have never been ordained within the Eastern Orthodox Church. Kudos to the new Roman pope for refusing to ordain women into the ranks of his clergy.

Abortion has always been condemned by the Eastern Orthodox Church. Kudos to the new Roman pope for preserving this belief.

If the Roman Catholic hierarch shall also renounce the false teachings of purgatory, papal infallibility, indulgences, the filioque clause, the concept of progressive revelations, and other such innovations, then a great path shall be paved for Orthodox Christians and Roman Catholics to reunite once again since the Great Schism of 1054 AD. How I long to call you my spiritual brethren, but NOT at the cost of compromising the purity of the Orthodox Christian Faith.

Peace be with all!

Welcome aboard stellar!

You were conspicuous by your absence.

Thanks for the greeting sasquatch.

On a sidenote, I just wanted to share my perspective that it really seems athiests are aggressively going out of their way to “convert” Christians nowadays. Their technique is quite fascinating. Aside from throwing every possible scientific THEORY at Christians from the Big Bang to human evolution, then questioning almost every one of God’s laws, all the ancient Christian doctrines, and attempting to scrutinize the Bible for any miniscule flaws, and falsely citing that its been sabotaged, I can’t help but wonder why athiests are so anti-Christian. They have HUNDREDS of other faiths to challenge. This reminds me of what the end times will entail.

First, Christians will be shunned in the harshest of manners for their beliefs and will be considered the outcasts of society. Then, Christianity will be outlawed as per the civil authorities. And finally, Christians being persecuted and slayed for maintaining their faith. This process will unfold gradually, but I presume its already begun.

Schools have degraded the themes of major Christian holidays into bunnies and candy canes. Mascots like Peter Cottontail and Santa Claus replace Jesus Christ and Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker (an Orthodox Christian bishop from the 4th century). The connotation for “Easter recess” has been replaced with “spring break”. You’re allowed to hang up the star of David and the Islamic crescent in our schools but God forbid you hang up a Cross!

Teaching kids about masterbation and homosexuality is “in” but encouraging them to abstain from sexual relations until marriage takes second place to passing out condoms. Slowly people get sucked into this downward spiralling mentality and begin to question everything & anything that seemed decent less than one century ago, but not only that, they wage vehement revolts and ask us to justify our faith, as if we can do so purely by logical means. It seems Christians are on the run once again. Reminds me of the Apostles who were persecuted and hunted down from city-to-city by the Jews & pagans during the Great Age of Persecution which lasted from 33-325 AD. The Bible mentions that the Christian persecutions during the end times will be significantly worse than those of the Great Age of Persecution. This sounds too gruesome to even fathom.

But in the words of the Lord Jesus Christ, “He who endures till the end shall be saved.”

I ask all Christians to continue dedicating their lives without compromise and as best as they know how, to the one and only true God - Jesus Christ.

Peace be with all.

As usual stellar, wonderful post. I too, have questioned the zealousness(?) of the atheist to trounce on the Christian/Catholic faith. In my posting above, I wonder about their motivation and ‘passion’ for these attacks.

Why the need to pick apart my religion, and deem themselves somehow superior because they “don’t exclude gays.”
Because they would rather give their 10 year old a condom, than preach abstinance.
Because 1% of the priests are comitting heinous crimes, how celibacy is wrecking the faith.

They act like their western ideology is actually important to the church, and its leadership.

Maybe God chose us to bear the burden for the greater good. They worry more and more about the church, but fail to recognize the demise of their own culture. Look around people, things ain’t so great since religion–ALL religion, has taken a back seat in the populace.

Heaven forbid you say a prayer in school. Heaven forbid you allow a cross on the wall of a public building.
Seperation of church and state they scream. We certainly have come a long way, haven’t we.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
miniross wrote:
As far as why 2 plus 2 = 4, well, now that is about algorythms, and we would need a biologist, and mathmatician to go into that.

[/quote]

i stand corrected.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
miniross wrote:

When it comes to heaven, the same mechanism is in place. all religions seem to have this “shangrilah”, a “valhalla” for those who do certain deed, and the oposite for those that dont. This is a device which is used to assist in helping people exhibit certain behaviours, to compy, to scarifice.

You make good points, but there is still something missing from all of this - that you are assuming what the rationale and logic is for someone else besides yourself. I am sure there are people who do things for “selfish” reasons (albeit they might very well be virtuous things) but again, that is not going to be everybody. I think that is what I take the most issue with - that it HAS to be a reward based structure.

You write of our soliders and that is a very good example. Why is it they do what they do? Risking their lives to protect John and Jane Doe? To live up to a principle that is important to them - freedom, liberty, etc. Doing something because you have creed or principle you value does not automatically equate to reward, in my mind. I fully believe it is entirely possible to be selfless in your actions whereas you do not… which is fine. We are just going to come at this argument from 2 different viewpoints based on that primary assumption.

Kuz[/quote]

Rationale and logic have very little to do with gene survival. It is such an inate driver, that we do things without it even entering concious thought, our actions tend to be guided by what are genes are “telling us”…so much for free will. The invisible hand drives us forward.

TRULY selfless people, which there may be some (i doubt it though) must be increadibly few in number. these may be the ghandis, the nelson mandella’s of the world, but they may not live to be survived by offspring, so whtever trait tehy had to ake them so wonderful may not be passed down a gene line. In fact, look at ghandi, his offspring have the reputation granted by his selflessness, they are politically successful, have wealth and increadible social standing. NOw i am not saying what he did was solely based on that driver, as i doubt it is that simple, just that his sacrifice has benefitted his gene line in the long run, as if his gamble paid off.

People like this are still great, still virtuous, have pools of strength that i can only imagine, but this is why we honour them, stand them up and universally applaud them. To speak out against them leaves you chided by a larger group of the populous. It is seen here, on t nation. Th quade the finest thread meant that the populous, me included, swatted the nay sayer. Self governing groups mean that those who rock the boat, are socially irresponsible get brought into line.

The concepts of freedom and liberty for a country also reflect nationalism, and a fight for resource, in 1 way or another. In this instance,(iraq) it was combatting an individual that stood in the way of an ideaology, and endangered people on home soil. In the case of the falklands, British soldiers went and died for a small piece of strategically valuable land the other side of the world as it was “ours”, the argentines invaded because it was “theirs”.

But this is off track. To be seen to support and believe in freedom is also a socially rewarded trait…not often do you see people, politicians say otherwise, or go against the grain. If not, they are forced to conform, with social disgrace as the weapon, the chance of their social status being eroded, thus losing power and leaving their offspring bereft of the benefit of high social standing, thus better and successful lives. Cociencious objectors are riddiculed, they used to be gaoled in attempt to force them to conform, to attach a negative to something which i have to say is quite admirable, to stand against your peers and say the opposite.

I put it simply. These bands that people wear for breast cancer and the like. Why wear them. to show support for a group. why not donate money nd say nothing about it. why wear it on your arm. I must say they are a brilliant idea, as they tap into this need for elevation of status. If i wear a band that say i support the fight against cancer, i have donated money, i am seen as a better person because of my virtuosity. the band is a way of displaying it to others. In the UK, we are not payed for donating blood, it is volentary. The If i ask someone, do they donate blood, they may say yes. i will think they are better than i because i dont. instantly, they have gone up in my estimation as they are dong a “selfless” task, but they will feel good (internal reward) and i may congratulate them and say how brave they are (external reward).

Just think the next time you do something like that, or infact how guilty you feel if when oppotunity arrises, you dont. these 2 ying and yang mechanisms help ensure that on the whole, we do things that help others, but also help ourselves.

[quote]jaranda wrote:
Well, this thread started with the Pope and ended with the church, dogma and homosexuality (to a big extent).

Here are my 2 cents. By the way I used to be Catholic. I started teaching Sunday school at the age of 13 until I was 19 yrs. old. I have rubbed shoulders with priests and nuns since I was born. I also studied Theology, History of the Church, Christology, and a few more subjects that can’t no loner remember, every summer at a seminary in Mexico during my Sunday teaching days (required to teach Sunday school).

One of the things that I learned is that “The Church” it’s an institution created by men. By definition the Christian church is characterized by an Episcopal hierarchy with the pope (like a King) as its head and belief in seven sacraments and the authority of tradition.

Christianity is a monotheistic system of beliefs and practices based on the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus as embodied in the New Testament and emphasizing the role of Jesus as savior.

This are some issues that I want to point out:

1. The church was part of the political power of the kings. For many years Kings were blessed by God recognized and supported by the church.

2. The church was also (with sanction from Popes) involved during the crusades. On attempts to purify the church and society also led to efforts to rid the Christian world of all non-Christians, who were considered “infidels.” This included Jews, Muslims, and people labeled pagans or gypsies–anyone who practiced pre-Christian or non-Christian traditions. In a non-scientific world where many bishops, scholars, and warriors routinely believed in magic, astrology, and alchemy–the ancient attempt to turn ordinary metal into gold–the lines defining who was Christian, and who was not, could shift rapidly according to the fears and desires of those in power.

3. The church (including nobility) monopolized all knowledge helping to keep the masses in ignorance thus strengthening their power.

4. The church fought any new knowledge that did not come from within. E.g. Earth is not the center of the universe or the Earth not being flat. It fought it with severe punishment and death. The churched punished Galileo for teaching such aberrations.

5. Pope John VII gave indulgences for fighting the Heathen. Also, various Popes sold them to raise money. The Church also created the Inquisition that tortured and murdered many innocent (heretic) lives.

6. The Catholic Church and its Popes had been in the center of murder, corruption, wealth accumulation and nepotism just to name a few. (Just do a search for the Borgia Popes).

7. The Church created its dogmas, doctrines and rituals to consolidate its knowledge and power and to distinguish itself from any pagan beliefs and rituals. Besides, once something is decreed as a dogma, nobody has the right to oppose it without being cast as heretic or being excommunicated.

8. The Church (over the centuries) has translated and re-written the original Bible to their convenience.

9. Political agendas still exist right know between Cardinals, bishops, etc. for power and recognition.

OK. I can go on and on about this, but to summarize:
a.The Church clergy is human (with all its beliefs, dogmas and teachings). Thus not infallible regardless of what any Pope says.

b. The Church will always select it leaders to reflect their own agendas. There is never an anonymous decision for a Pope. So they will select someone that will continue to strengthen their power.

c. It’s amazing that I used to believe in the church teachings for many years. Long ago I realized that trying to figure out if there is a God or how the universe was created it’s inconsequential to me.

J.A.[/quote]

I guess, as i have thought on occasion, that man made god in his image, and not the other way around. It is a novel and effective form of mass control, and is elegent in how it achieves it. It must have taken 100’s of years to hashoout the vagueries.

[quote]jaranda wrote:
By the way I used to be Catholic.[/quote]
That was your first error. For someone who supposedly read all about the history of the Church, I’m surprised you failed to discover Orthodox Christianity. Of the 5 patriarchates which governed the early church (Alexandria, Antioch, Constantinople, Jerusalem, & Rome), all preserved the teachings of Orthodox Christianity except for the patriarchate of Rome which fell into heresy.
http://www.romanity.org/htm/rom.03.en.franks_romans_feudalism_and_doctrine.01.htm#s2

[quote]
One of the things that I learned is that “The Church” it’s an institution created by men. By definition the Christian church is characterized by an Episcopal hierarchy with the pope (like a King) as its head and belief in seven sacraments and the authority of tradition.[/quote]
While your definition applies to the Roman Catholic a.k.a. Franco-Latin structure, it’s erroneous to associate this reference to the true Church, Eastern Orthodox Christianity. Aside from Jesus Christ, Orthodox Christianity has NEVER hailed any patriarch as the supreme leader of the Church. Orthodox Christianity is governed by a GROUP of bishops rather than one patriarch/pope. As Jesus Christ appointed Twelve Apostles to establish the New Testament Church rather than just one man, so too it remains with the Orthodox Christian Church today. From the earliest of councils, it remained evident that the Roman Patriarchate was considered the leader AMONGST equals rather than a leader OVER equals. This concept perfectly reflected the relationship between St. Peter and the rest of the Apostles. St. Peter held no authority without the binding confirmation of the other Apostles regarding church affairs. Unfortunately, the Roman patriarchate fell into heresies (such as the filioque) and the patriarchates of Alexandria, Antioch, Constantinople, & Jerasulem could not support her new innovations on the Christian Faith. The Roman patriarchate in the West tried to implement these new innovations upon the other 4 patriarchates in the East by falsely citing that she held superior authority and infallibility over such affairs. Needless to say, the Great Schism of 1054 occurred and the 4 patriarchates in the East preserved the teachings of the Orthodox Christian Faith while Rome assimilated new heresies into her belief system. When this occurred, Orthodox Christianity gradually disintegrated in the West and gave way to a new faith, Roman Catholicism.

Two instances from the Bible I’d like to point out which prove that the Roman Catholic doctrine of papal infallibility is heretical.
1-The council of Jerusalem as recorded in Acts of the Apostles was presided over by St. James, NOT St. Peter. Had St. Peter held the supreme authority which the Roman Catholic church touts him to have possessed, St. James would NOT have been the leader of this critical synod.
2-St. Peter’s dogma on Gentile circumcision was boldly put to rest by St. Paul who corrected his teaching on the matter. Had St. Peter held the supreme word on such matters, then Gentiles till this day would be mandated to undergo circumcision, but such is not the case.

Clearly, there’s room for even an Apostle to err. That’s why it’s critical for the Church to function as a whole to preserve and express the true Faith. Unfortunately, the Roman patriarchate enjoyed the new innovations it began harvesting and was eventually excommunicated out of the Body of Christ.

Perhaps that’s why Jesus Christ said, “Where there are two or more [Saints] gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” Sadly, the Roman patriarchate failed to adhere to this concept and Roman Catholicism was later formulated.

jaranda,
I acknowledge the spiritual corruption you’ve observed in the bloodline of the Roman Catholic a.k.a. Franco-Latin church. The strong political influence of kings, the heresies and new innovations assimilated into their faith, the blessings of Roman popes to spark the Inquisition and the Crusades which ultimately nullified the essence of Christ’s teachings, their efforts to defy the Renaissance and scientific advancement, and their current squabbles over hierarchical power.

You can bash the Roman Catholics on all these angles to justify your unbelief, but have you ever studied the genuine Church, Eastern Orthodoxy? NONE of these arguments reflect the history or spirit of the Orthodox Christian Church (est. 33 AD). Perhaps you’ve never even heard of Orthodox Christianity.

Had Eastern Orthodoxy been involved in such scandalous military campaigns and been connected with powerful & wealthy world rulers, I’m sure most people today wouldn’t be scratching their heads asking, “what the heck is Orthodox Christianity?”

Perhaps if the Roman Catholics did not unleash their assaults upon Orthodox Christians in the East in the 1200’s as part of the Crusades, the Orthodox Faith would be more popular today.
Perhaps if the Muslims did not unleash their militant waves of jihad against Orthodox Christians in the East in the 1400’s, enslaving the Orthodox Christian world for 400 years, the Orthodox Faith would be more popular today.

I do know one thing though, whether it’s popular in this day & age or not, Eastern Orthodox Christianity is Christ’s original Church and it shall stand unblemished till the Second Coming. As Jesus Christ promises, the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

Peace be with you.

To all those saying there is no evidence God exists - there is no good evidence he DOESN’T exist either.

While agnosticism is easy, there is a saying that true ATHEISM takes far more faith than any religion. To say you know, for certain, that God does not exist is a bold statement indeed. It takes a lot to believe everything on earth is the product of scientific chance.

As for the power of prayer, there have been studies and whatnot, usually in medical situations. Unfortunately I don’t have the cites here, but poke around, you can probably find them.

In general though, for those who have convinced themselves not to believe and have hardened themselves, there could be proof that could show up tomorrow and they’d still find a way to dismiss it. Thats the nature of things.

As for ignorance though, I think it is those who completely dismiss people of faith that are the ignorant ones. Even if you don’t believe, being so dismissive indicates a zealotry of a different sort.