Planet Fitness Transgender Policy

Seeing more and more of these cases pop up. It happened locally at another gym chain, too. In some cases, the women complaining are called “transphobic” and asked to leave by the staff.

What do you think?

A few recent headlines:

Its a dumb policy that guarantees bad results.

These places are more interested in protecting their reputations from attack by the cancel mob than protecting their customers and employees from actual predators. This creates real world harm and legal liability, and displays poor judgement, priority, and cowardly leadership of the corporations that decide that one persons identity du jour is more important than everybody’s health and safety.

Just off the top of my head.

5 Likes

I think a large % of the population is over it.

2 Likes

I would be cancelling my membership to any facility that allows men in the ladies room

3 Likes

I’m all for equal rights for all but this stuff is getting redic. If it says man on your birth cert you use the men’s room. If it says women you use the ladies room. I don’t think it’s that hard??? Is it???

3 Likes

And I had no idea that Planet Fitness had a men’s locker room.

9 Likes

Hell… i didnt know it was a gym.

3 Likes

I think the public is dying for a company to have the balls to challenge this stuff instead of caving to it. Planet fitness is not a company with balls.

1 Like

That 400 million dollar loss in that last headline may turn the tide. It’s easy to be “woke” when it doesn’t affect your bottom line. They’ll grow balls as memberships shrink. Maybe?

4 Likes

It would seem they have a fiduciary responsibility to grow a pair.

2 Likes

They might have bigger issues as there are reports of creative accounting practices.

I think I read there is a Planet Fitness in a town of 60,000 that somehow managed to have 10,000 members.

A friend of mine owns a few gym franchises and this is par for the course. He has tens of thousands of dues paying members and a small percentage actually go to a gym regularly.

Memberships are cheap enough to keep people from cancelling and officially quitting. There’s always “later”. Great model really.

Anyways, regarding the OP, it will always be dumb to actually treat men playing dress up as legitimate women.

1 Like

This is gonna end with Kid Rock making a Planet Fitness commercial and stock prices jumping 20%.

2 Likes

I would hardly classify it as one. The machines only have “levels” instead of weights. No barbells typically only a smith machine and DBs only to 50lbs…

1 Like

Im a admitted gym snob. My first gym i went to was a old school mom and pop gym . Owner ran the bodybuilding branch of the AAU in my state in the 80s.

1 Like

One of the gyms I go to has a separate family locker room with individual stalls with showers that you can lock. You can only use it if you have your kids with you. I’ve been pretty comfortable with that.

But, even as someone who has trans family members, PF fucked up huge on this one.

Yeah the did paint themselves in a corner. The only way they can get around it probably is the indvidual stall approach. Which is going to cost them big time in construction cost to modify their current locker room set up.

1 Like

I’d rather spend money on updating my business than lawsuits and bad publicity. 400 MM can do a good amount of renovations.

On a side note, does anyone know how much a lunk alarm costs? I never thought about it before.

Lunk alarms only cost the dignity of those that feel they need a lunk alarm to be “protected” from meatheads.

1 Like
  • They are weight stacks like at any gym. Most of the equipment is Life Fitness and Hammer Strength.

• Smith machine is a great piece for legs. The only thing the lack of barbell really effects is the inability to do hinge movements like RDL.

• DB’s go up to 75 lbs.

Many criticize PF but, it is more than enough for most individuals, including most who post on T-Nation.