OTS Big Beyond Belief Program

Not sure where my question went, but my last one (hopefully) is this:

On the 1st set is the last rep meant to be “really hard” to get ?

And then you drop weight on the 2nd and the 3rd set ?

I think thats what you said but just to be sure… don’t want to f*ck it up in anyway.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

This looks very good. Don’t forget to train abs though. Weighted and try to get them in the rep range. Hanging pikes, weighted crunches, etc.[/quote]

I want to mention pulldown abs here, there’s an old westside vid or so in the EFS channel on youtube… Check that out, or ask Hanley or so for a vid maybe.

That exercise is ideal for the heavy day on BBB and you can add weight fairly easily.

[quote]SmallToBig wrote:
Not sure where my question went, but my last one (hopefully) is this:

On the 1st set is the last rep meant to be “really hard” to get ?

And then you drop weight on the 2nd and the 3rd set ?

I think thats what you said but just to be sure… don’t want to f*ck it up in anyway.[/quote]

You want to reach concentric “failure” roughly in the desired rep range on every set.
If you fall short of your rep range or you’re maybe at the very bottom, take some weight off the bar for the next set that day. If you’re in the rep range, keep weight for next set… If you overshoot the rep range, add some weight.
Always try to improve from week to week though…

So if you got 405 x 5, 385 x 6 and 385 x 4 the last friday (3x5-7 with whatever kind of rest-period), then you want something like
405 x 6-7 (or even go up to 410, but after some time you’ll know when to make weight jumps anyway and how much weight to add), 405x5, 385x5 or so.

That’s what I’d do anyway, we’ll see what modok has to say on the matter.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
In regards to the 1st set- yes, you are supposed to go to failure on each set, especially the first one. The first set will ALWAYS be the hardest, and the 2nd, 3rd, etc. sets you will have to drop weight. Its usually about a 5% drop per set, but could be as high as 10% depending on what week you are on and how much rest you are taking between sets. But every set needs to be taken all the way out. If you guess wrong on the weight and its too light, keep going until you hit failure, and add weight next time. It should only take you a week or two to figure it out. Don’t expect perfection the first week. Just adjust it to where you are failing in the rep range on all three sets. [/quote]

This is why I felt the need to throw in rest-pauses. I never realized that each set was supposed to go to failure (or near failure) and that the weight was dropped for each subsequent set to ensure hitting the desired rep range. Now that I know that, things make much more sense.

Thanks a lot Coach MODOK (and Asst. Coach C_C).

Allright it’s all fixed up now.

See this section in a few months.

MODOK (and C_C) thanks for all the great input.

Quick question, on the 4 day a week program would you recommend a quad dominant AND a hip dominant for each day it says ‘thighs’

So maybe something like Back Squat / Leg Curls Tuesday, Deads / Leg Press Thursday, Front Squat / Romainian DL Saturday…or some other setup?

This looks like a great program, looking forward to giving it a shot. I’ve been training for seriously for about 2 years and have kind of stagnated lately.

right on MODOK I appreciate the feedback. I was thinking the same thing, go big on either the quad or hip-dominant exercise and pair it with a lower-level antagonist.

But you’re right, there aren’t really any ‘easy’ quad exercises lol

[quote]cm75 wrote:
right on MODOK I appreciate the feedback. I was thinking the same thing, go big on either the quad or hip-dominant exercise and pair it with a lower-level antagonist.

But you’re right, there aren’t really any ‘easy’ quad exercises lol [/quote]

I tried that today… Deadlifts and Leg Press… i had no hope of doing the Leg Press, 10-12 reps for 3 sets gassed me out. And if you Squat the other 2 days one of them being 13-15 reps LOL i dunno if anyone would be able… Modok being the exception as he is freaking huge lol

Man you can do it!!!
Modok has really been helping me on this program and I just started it.
For squats…listen man…I am squatting 2x a week…one day 13-15 reps, the other is the heavyier day 8-10 reps
For the 3rd day I’m doing deads as my main 10-12.

For squats I change it up. High bar olympic squats one day, (13-15 reps) and then 8-10 reps my regular squat stance.
I find the oly squats help my deadlift too.

Anyways I did the 15 reps squats…these were fuckin BRUTAL. The last time I did 15 rep squats was when I started training, haven’t done them since.

Seriosuly hard, but the feeling is amazing. I’m hoping to get some pretty heavy numbers in these.

But seriously I’ve been killin the food…and already today my legs are way less sore.

I’m not even taking protein shakes right now either…just all food…(not taking shakes cause I’m waiting for my 25lbs to come in the mail lol)

Take 20-30g’s of BCAA’s per workout (4x a week). Huge recovery method…take creatine
and I’m good to go
I’ve been taking multivitamin, 300mg mag before bedtime and 50mg zinc.

Anyways this program is lookin to be pretty sick so far.

Modok I was just wondering though…when can I test for a 1RM?
I’m gonna do my ramp and supergrowth…after 3 weeks of supergrowth should I try for a 1RM? ANd then start a new ramp (2). Thanks!

Anyways also…modok is right…it is a race…gotta eat to recover.
Also I’ve been killin cottage cheese, and I eat 2 cups before bed.
As soon as I wake up I eat
6 whole eggs, 4 pieces of toast, 1-2 bananas, and 1-2 cups cottage cheese
Break: 2 tuna sammy’s or 2 natural peanut butter sammy’s LOADED with 750ml milk.

Anyways right here I pretty much almost got in 2000 calories!!! lol

You can do it!

oh and sleep…ive had bad sleep in a while…i dunno if you read my thread about my night terror experience I had a few nights ago…but I’ve been getting minimum 7hrs of sleep everynight…and wow what a difference!
Nevermind training…just in general life I feel so much better.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Modok I was just wondering though…when can I test for a 1RM?
I’m gonna do my ramp and supergrowth…after 3 weeks of supergrowth should I try for a 1RM? ANd then start a new ramp (2). Thanks![/quote]

Why not wait till you’re done with your three ramps before testing your maxes? If you’re working out 6x a week, you shouldn’t have the energy to work up to a 1RM.

Are deadlifts a suitable thigh exercise? For me, deadlifts have always hit the lower back much harder than the hamstrings. Romanian/straight-legged deadlifts are a different story.

I am freaking eating LOL

And Rast way i have it set up ala Modok is

Day 1 and 5 are the same excercises
Day 2 and 6 are the same excercises
Day 3 and 4 are different ones.

Though im completely new to weightlifting so that was my 1st time ever doing high rep deads :stuck_out_tongue:

I must be recovering well enough im not REALLY sore anywhere just my legs a small bit.

Rest of me is grand (so far :P)

Tomorrow is Day 6 on Week 1, so i have 1 Day off then onto Week 2 with the crazy volume !

Why is it called super growth phase ?

Seems like 3 weeks of Week 1 with REALLY long rests (150 seconds) i thought it was only 1 week but apparently its THREE !

I’m intrigued, especially with MODOK backing it up.

I am starting the 4x a week version on Monday. Time too fuckin Grow!

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
I’m intrigued, especially with MODOK backing it up.[/quote]

As i just wrote lol i think theres 6-7 of us on it :stuck_out_tongue:

Though i am a complete beginner of gym time of a whole 2 weeks LOL but im learning VERY fast and i’m beating my numbers every day.

Going to the gym 6 days a week makes sure you eat properly lol or your not going to be able to do anything in there !

Here’s my log:

And JO3 is another guy log is here:

[quote]GodOfSteele wrote:
I am starting the 4x a week version on Monday. Time too fuckin Grow![/quote]

Nice good luck with it lol, and i REALLY reccomend eating alot ! 1st thing you learn after 2 days your hungry ALL day

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
I’m intrigued, especially with MODOK backing it up.[/quote]

Join the ride. Otherwise, you can wait a few months for the guinea pigs to finish a full 18-week phase :slight_smile:

[quote]MODOK wrote:
That One Guy wrote:

I think you are doing just fine with a back like that. Jesus…thats impressive.

[/quote]

Haha. In case you weren’t just joking, that’s not actually him. He’s got a photo of himself in his profile. Whoever that is, isn’t 165-170.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
cueball wrote:
MODOK wrote:
That One Guy wrote:

I think you are doing just fine with a back like that. Jesus…thats impressive.

Haha. In case you weren’t just joking, that’s not actually him. He’s got a photo of himself in his profile. Whoever that is, isn’t 165-170.

LOL…oops. Well, whoever that is has a hell of a back.

[/quote]

Most definitely.