T bar rows
Flat Bench
BB curls

Military press
Close Grip Bench
Front Squat
RDL
Weighted Abs

I have 5 pressing exercises…3 pulling…it’s possible i could do a compound of back thickness and back width on back/chest/bi day…idk…

as far as the sets…I also don’t like modifying stuff, but there is just too many weird things about the book…it’s hard to know what is necessary and what isn’t…I guess i could start off like you said following it exactly…

D Public, make sure you do your rowing with the kind of technique that really hits backthicknes musculature… I.e. Don’t just make it an arm+lat exercise, but initiate the movement by basically tensing the upper back and sort of shrugging the shoulders backwards, retract scapulae (as if you wanted to get into PL bench position) etc.

Grip can be a bit wider… At the top of the row, you’re pretty much in the bottom position of a PL bench (though your grip isn’t necessarily super-wide, you’ll hit either on the belly button or above, depending on grip-width that way, roughly), sort of. Does that make any sense? :slight_smile:

That way you might be able to avoid shoulder problems even with the little back work provided in the routine.

I wish I could describe this in a better way.

(of course the “bottom position of PL bench” thing only really looks that way if you’re doing seated rows or Pendlay rows, 45 deg rows, yates rows and t-bars there your arms are obviously going to look like you let the bar drop towards your feet on a pl bench… Ha, I suck at describing stuff)

Rolling DB extensions… You lie on the floor and do a DB extension where you bring the bells down over your shoulders or even behind your head, let them rest on the floor briefly (no bouncing) and then explode them back up.

Works imo very well with an EZ bar (only using 25’s at most to keep the ROM ok) or better yet, on a bench with an ez bar so you can bring it down behind your head and explode it up to an incline).

Maraudermeat(christopher drummond) does them, for example. You can go pretty heavy, but the DB’s bother my elbows…

The EZ variant doesn’t bother my elbows (need to use a curl-width grip though, not a narrow grip) allows for pretty fast progress (in my case at least. Dusty Hanshaw also seems to love them… Did you check that thread in the doggpound about his training yet? Dante has finally gotten around to explaining the whole deal with the 3-way using Dusty as an example).

ok, I’ll do it as stated and switch to exercises i can progress more easily on…

about the calves lol… i don’t have access to any calve machines…it sucks…I train at a powerlifting gym now…no machines accept GHRs and reverse hypers…I could do standing barbell calve raises…I’ll give it a shot…it’s better than nothing…

In a month, I’ll be able to go to my university gym, and they have pretty much everything i need…

And, CC…I understand what you are saying lol…

I’ll read the program over again…and probably ask a couple more questions…

You don’t have a smith machine in that gym, huh? Damn.

Well, just do seated calf raises with big plates stacked on your thighs, maybe held together by a long DB handle or whatever (imo more comfortable than the BB version, but you can do that, too) and put plates or boards used for board pressing on the floor so you can get more ROM.

Hello Modok and people.

Where can i purchase the ebook for this, unless there is articles that explain it.

Your growth seems to have worked quite well… im not good at deciding on routines so im just relying on public opinion on them.

From your story it seems like i can just stay on this program for a long time which would suit, i am also able to do the 6 Day a Week one as i work a 9am-5pm job in a research lab so im not exactly strained at work.

Thanks for your time, ill go back to the beginner section now !

[quote]SmallToBig wrote:
Hello Modok and people.

Where can i purchase the ebook for this, unless there is articles that explain it.

Your growth seems to have worked quite well… im not good at deciding on routines so im just relying on public opinion on them.

From your story it seems like i can just stay on this program for a long time which would suit, i am also able to do the 6 Day a Week one as i work a 9am-5pm job in a research lab so im not exactly strained at work.

Thanks for your time, ill go back to the beginner section now ![/quote]

www.bigbeyondbelief.com/Order_Big_Beyond_Belief.html

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Pick ONE exercise for each day…either back width OR thickness and crank it up. You should probably do 2 “width” and one “thickness” exercises because you are also going to be deadlifting on a leg day, which would be another “thickness” exercise, (if you are thinking along the DC lines of exercise selection).[/quote]

That’s interesting. Looks like I’ve been doing it incorrectly. (I’ve been doing 1 set of 3 different exercises per body part instead of 3 sets of the same exercise per body part.)

What are your thoughts on incorporating rest-pauses? Would that be inching too close to overtraining?

EDIT: I guess rest-pauses would only work if I stuck with what I’m doing now, since it would be tough to rp on multiple sets. I suppose you could rp on your last set?

[quote]MODOK wrote:
jo3 wrote:
MODOK wrote:
Pick ONE exercise for each day…either back width OR thickness and crank it up. You should probably do 2 “width” and one “thickness” exercises because you are also going to be deadlifting on a leg day, which would be another “thickness” exercise, (if you are thinking along the DC lines of exercise selection).

That’s interesting. Looks like I’ve been doing it incorrectly. (I’ve been doing 1 set of 3 different exercises per body part instead of 3 sets of the same exercise per body part.)

What are your thoughts on incorporating rest-pauses? Would that be inching too close to overtraining?

EDIT: I guess rest-pauses would only work if I stuck with what I’m doing now, since it would be tough to rp on multiple sets. I suppose you could rp on your last set?

The book is silent on the issue of number of exercises, but it is the simplest way, the way I’ve seen others do it and progress, and the way I’ve done it myself. Start throwing in too many variables and you really start losing something I think.

I wouldn’t do rest pauses with this program. Follow the program as its laid out.

This is the kind of thing that the vets harp on here until we are blue in the face about, but people new to training keep making these mistakes over and over and over. Just because a routine is simple does NOT mean its ineffective. Incorporating rest pause, drop sets, using a million different exercises for a bodypart are all only to be considered after you have gotten big and strong. Straight sets taken to failure or very near failure will do the work. Worry about the one thing that matters, getting the set, and next week add weight to the bar. Thats as complicated as it gets until you are very big and strong. Thats it. Just be simple, and be good at it.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
D Public, make sure you do your rowing with the kind of technique that really hits backthicknes musculature… I.e. Don’t just make it an arm+lat exercise, but initiate the movement by basically tensing the upper back and sort of shrugging the shoulders backwards, retract scapulae (as if you wanted to get into PL bench position) etc.

Grip can be a bit wider… At the top of the row, you’re pretty much in the bottom position of a PL bench (though your grip isn’t necessarily super-wide, you’ll hit either on the belly button or above, depending on grip-width that way, roughly), sort of. Does that make any sense? :slight_smile:

That way you might be able to avoid shoulder problems even with the little back work provided in the routine.

[/quote]

so glad you posted that, now maybe ill gain some backthickness

[quote]jo3 wrote:
MODOK wrote:
Pick ONE exercise for each day…either back width OR thickness and crank it up. You should probably do 2 “width” and one “thickness” exercises because you are also going to be deadlifting on a leg day, which would be another “thickness” exercise, (if you are thinking along the DC lines of exercise selection).

That’s interesting. Looks like I’ve been doing it incorrectly. (I’ve been doing 1 set of 3 different exercises per body part instead of 3 sets of the same exercise per body part.)[/quote] That can be done on Phil Hernon’s program for a few weak bodyparts, but not when doing BBB (would take far too long, too).

[quote]

[/quote] Dude, rest-pause for 4 or so bodyparts per day, 6 days a week… Good night lol
Anyway, you’d completely mess up the parameters and rep ranges. [quote]
EDIT: I guess rest-pauses would only work if I stuck with what I’m doing now, since it would be tough to rp on multiple sets. I suppose you could rp on your last set?[/quote]
What’s the point?

Dude, that would be ultra-recovery intensive… Either do a yates routine with rp(or without) or BBB, or Phil Hernon’s routine… Not all at once :wink:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
jo3 wrote:
MODOK wrote:

That’s interesting. Looks like I’ve been doing it incorrectly. (I’ve been doing 1 set of 3 different exercises per body part instead of 3 sets of the same exercise per body part.) That can be done on Phil Hernon’s program for a few weak bodyparts, but not when doing BBB (would take far too long, too).

Dude, rest-pause for 4 or so bodyparts per day, 6 days a week… Good night lol
Anyway, you’d completely mess up the parameters and rep ranges.
What’s the point?

Dude, that would be ultra-recovery intensive… Either do a yates routine with rp(or without) or BBB, or Phil Hernon’s routine… Not all at once :wink:

[/quote]

Yea I know :slight_smile: I’m sticking with 4 exercises per workout and no rest-pauses.

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Grip can be a bit wider… At the top of the row, you’re pretty much in the bottom position of a PL bench[/quote] Forgot to add: Shoulder/back/scapulae-wise only, how much bend you get in the arms depends on what angle you’re doing your rows at[quote] (though your grip isn’t necessarily super-wide, you’ll hit either on the belly button or above, depending on grip-width that way, roughly), sort of. Does that make any sense? :slight_smile:

so glad you posted that, now maybe ill gain some backthickness[/quote]

You can sort of do that on rack pulls or deadlifts as well. After locking out a rep, get into PL bench position (shoulder/scapulae/rear delt wise)

I know i really shouldn’t be posting here as im a beginner but heres a link to a slideshow of BBB

http://www.slideshare.net/guest5ff101/big-beyond-belief

I’ll be doing the 6 Day Week, 1 Workout a Day, was going to do 2 but as Modok thinks it’s crap im just going to follow him.

Ill be making a new log soon as i have it set up, Modok ill be pm’ing you again :slight_smile:

Ps; Mokok has been kindly answering my “newbie” questions, so just a public thanks to him.

Again sorry to be posting i’ll be back in my log soon !

Just to check for Week 1:

Day 1:
Dumbell Row
Incline Bench
Ez bar Curls
HS Calf Raise

Day 2:
Military Press (standing)
Close Grip Bench Press
Back Squat

Day 3:
Normal Bench
Deadlift (is this ok don’t see it in your original list?)
Barbell Curls
Standing Calf Raise

Day 4:
DB Military
Reverse Grip Bench (I like this)
Leg Press

Day 5:
T Bar Rows
Inc Bench
HS Calf Raises
DB Curls

Day 6:
Military Press
Close Grip Bench Press
Back Squat

Any glaring problems or is that ok for Week 1.

Made some of my own changes:

From re-reading Modok’s stuff i am changing the bigger excercises to 2 times a week, simplified alot of the stuff so it did !

Should grow like a weed on this, ill be back in my training log soon, and ill measure my arms, thighs and calfs once a month, hopefully see the marks you got !

Might as well ask here to for nutrition:

B-fast:
6 Eggs
100g Chicken
100g Cheddar Cheese
3g Fish Oil

Snack:
60g Nuts
1 Tub Cottage Cheese

Meal 2:
8oz chicken
3 Eggs
3g Fish Oil

Snack:
60g Nuts
1 Tub Cottage Cheese

Dinner:
8oz Red Meat
3 Eggs
3g Fish Oil

Pre Bed:
60g Nuts
1 Tub Cottage Cheese

More than im eating now WAY more ! But should be enough for the 1st few weeks. Any changes ?

Will do, again cheers for all the help at the beginning.

Not going to read any more stuff now, could do without the paralysis by analysis stuff, get enough of that in work.

I’ll be starting a log come Monday see where i end up 6 months from now.

Well im slightly fixing my nutrition based on the Coach’s offering

So slightly adapted is:

Wake up :
30g Whey Protein (Pulse 1)

B-fast:
6 Eggs
100g Chicken
100g Cheddar Cheese
3g Fish Oil

Meal 2: 30g Whey Protein 30 mins before meal. (Pulse 2)
8oz Chicken
3 Eggs
3g Fish Oil

Dinner: (Post Workout) (30g Whey Protein 90 mins after workout) (Pulse 3)
8oz Red Meat
3 Eggs
3g Fish Oil

Pre Bed:
60g Nuts
1 Tub Cottage Cheese

All right im done posting in here now, enough nagging you and others !

[quote]MODOK wrote:

This looks very good. Don’t forget to train abs though. Weighted and try to get them in the rep range. Hanging pikes, weighted crunches, etc.[/quote]

Ya i just didn’t put them in as they weren’t a main bodypart, i still have them in my actual program, but thanks for the offering anyway.

1 thing before i leave you alone (:P) is the last rep of the 1st set meant to be “really” hard to get, are you meant to have to drop the weight for the 2nd set ?

I kinda understand it, but i don’t want to chance f*cking up such a major factor.