Opinions on Belts

[quote] Matt wrote:
If you train heavy, use a belt. The day you lose tightness in the hole of a heavy squat without a belt on, will be the day your chiro is smiling on his way to the bank. There is no downside, if you feel your abs don’t get enough training because of wearing a belt, do direct ab work.[/quote]

This. I like how people think wearing a belt makes your abs just “turn off”

[quote]Alpha wrote:

Curls ARE the devil and IMO don’t do much for you.

Leg press machines do suck.

[/quote]

lol, this could be a fun little e-war if the right people read that statement.

[quote]Mr.Purple wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Curls ARE the devil and IMO don’t do much for you.

Leg press machines do suck.

lol, this could be a fun little e-war if the right people read that statement.[/quote]

Hey, we are all entitled to an opinion…I just think mine is right!

I’m just saying what has worked for me, I really couldn’t care less if Direct arm work and leg presses have worked for others…

Even curves and tae bo have their own success stories…doesn’t mean I have to agree or push people towards those things…

Anyway e-fights are lame as hell and i don’t have enough life left to get involved in one…I want a peaceful T-Nation if such a thing is possible…

Simple.

To avoid injury, wear a belt when lifing weights.

To strengthen your core, train your core.

I like the Shiek belt that has a narrower side profile and larger back profile. Used to have inzer belt years ago, but outgrew it. I find the velcro easier for loosening between sets.

Don’t leave it on, tight all the time. Just cinch it up right before the set and loosen it after the set.

What injuries to belts prevent? Hernias? Are there others?

Having never used one, I tried one the other day and hated it. Deadlifts felt like someone grabbing me around the waist and pinching. Benching felt retarded. Instead of feeling protected in the core, I felt like my diaphragm might come through my mouth.

I obviously could get more used to it, but I’ve sort of prided myself on never needing one despite lifting heavy, and am yet to be swayed.

I could see them as worthwhile for standing overhead presses due to the extreme posture you can get into, and likewise if I had any ambitions to compete in powerlifting/strongman, but from what I’ve observed, people use them for the look of it, and sometimes their form is often even worse due to feeling ‘safe’ with the belt on.

Many strange people use them for everything… I’ve seen a moron put one on for seated calf raises.

I really hated straps too.

[quote]b12sblue2002 wrote:
Simple.

To avoid injury, wear a belt when lifing weights.

To strengthen your core, train your core.

I like the Shiek belt that has a narrower side profile and larger back profile. Used to have inzer belt years ago, but outgrew it. I find the velcro easier for loosening between sets.

Don’t leave it on, tight all the time. Just cinch it up right before the set and loosen it after the set.
[/quote]
This, when I get above 3 plates (150kg+ usually) for a squat and 4 plates for a deadlift, I’ll throw the belt on. Basically anything near my max for those exercises, which was after I messed up a set of squats and tweaked my lower back, which still gives me grief. Never worn one to bench/leg press/etc. I follow the tighten just before and loosen straight after principle.

As another poster said, i’m thinking on it for standing overhead presses, but i’m going to experiment on that one.

I think it boils down to people who have had injuries vs people who havent. Those who have had back issues, tend to go to the belt for heavier sets, those who havent, dont. I dont see that there is a right or wrong way really.

When I was powerlifting I used my inzer for both squats and deads anything after 185. Since I’ve been competing in figure I use it mainly for squats 225+, if I even use it all. I have spina bifida and chronic back issues so so using a belt really depends on the way the weight is feeling that day for me.

Wearing a belt does not give you permission to not engage your core. You still have to use those muscles to keep you up right and stabilized, the belt just gives you a boost. The abdominal wall will always be your weakest link, no matter how strong or developed it is. If you have a pre-existing condition/injury I 100% recommend using one when you feel its necessary. Just dont be a wanker wearing a belt for seated DB curls with 25lbs … that is totally unnecessary.

Tightness is a personal thing, Mine is ungodly tight. I love the feeling of extra security if my back is feeling off and reduces my risk for back pain the following day. If I’m feeling good … no belt even on the heaviest sets

Haven’t used any belt for over 25 years, stopped because I thought they were too uncomfortable. But then again I’m not that strong, a 200 Kg squat (440 lbs) and a 250 deadlift (550 lbs).

I use it infrequently when I feel the need, but try to avoid it. Mostly use mine as a dip belt.

For those that use one for overhead pressing, how do you keep it tight when your arms are overhead? I have tried it but my waist becomes thinner when I raise my arms overhead.

what about something like TK waist band, is it any good ?? I have tried belt few time but it feels highly uncomfertable…

what about something like TK waist band, is it any good ?? I have tried belt few time but it feels highly uncomfertable…

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
The.Mentalist wrote:
I don’t use one. I probably should when the weight I use gets heavy. I’m only doing a 200lb squat and 225lb deadlift so I didn’t think that really warrants one as yet. It’s probably all relative though I guess.

if it’s any reference point, i didn’t start wanting or feeling like i ‘needed’ a belt until i moved past 375/400lbs for deadlifts[/quote]

Agreed. The first time I hit 4 plates on the deadlift, I felt like my abdominals were going to burst.