Opinions on Belts

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Some people forget what weight belts are for; increasng intra-abdominal pressure and providing a back up IN CASE your abdominal wall has a weak link in it. If your abdominal wall can’t handle the pressure, without a belt, you’ve got a hernia on your hands.

It hurts nothing to use a belt, at least on sets which have the potential for this breakdown. But it sure as hell hurts if you DON’T use one when you need one, and end up with your gut protruding out of somewhere it shouldn’t be. [/quote]

x2.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
younggully wrote:
your abdominal wall is your weight belt, providing it is strong.

Yeah, and no need for direct arm work either, right?[/quote]

Not sure what you mean. What does arm work have to do with this?

I should get one soon, I don’t want to herniate my left side (doc said it was weak) or mess up my right side again (getting surgery in a month)

Never used them. I look at like this if you need something to aid in a lift should you be lifting that weight?
BUT I understand if your a powerlifter where you must lift as much weight as possible and use anything to get there to do it. Just my opinion.

Years ago I would always wear one. Put it on before starting to lift and take it off after finishing. Now I never wear one except to hang weight off of for pullups/chins/dips.

I always have it in my gym bag, but try to NEVER make use of it. If something feels a little ‘off’, or maybe I’m going a little heavier than usual with a few sets, I may break it out, but I always advise younger guys only to use it as an extreme safety measure, and not as a matter of course.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I always have it in my gym bag, but try to NEVER make use of it. If something feels a little ‘off’, or maybe I’m going a little heavier than usual with a few sets, I may break it out, but I always advise younger guys only to use it as an extreme safety measure, and not as a matter of course.

S
[/quote]

even when doing bodyweight standing military presses? where do you feel the line should be drawn? not that i’m looking for an ‘absolute’ just more of a reference

I use one when I squat heavy but not when I deadlift…

I’m tall (around 6’5) and squatting puts a lot of pressure on my back. When I use the belt I can actually feel my legs working instead of my back.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
even when doing bodyweight standing military presses? where do you feel the line should be drawn? not that i’m looking for an ‘absolute’ just more of a reference[/quote]

I attribute most of my ab development to the fact that I don’t make use of my belt, especially when doing shoulder presses and squats. Sure, if I feel a little ‘twinge’, or something just doesn’t seem right that day (or I’m going stupidly heavy for a change), I’ll break it out, but I think too many people use it as a crutch.

It;s certainly not a horrible thing if you make use of a weight belt during your sessions, but unless you’ve already had an injury, or you have a predisposed weakness, I would start someone off training by not having them learn to use it in their daily sessions.

S

If you train heavy, use a belt. The day you lose tightness in the hole of a heavy squat without a belt on, will be the day your chiro is smiling on his way to the bank. There is no downside, if you feel your abs don’t get enough training because of wearing a belt, do direct ab work.

I think, in your case a belt would suit you. With your injury in mind, why risk another? That aside, in normal situations I do not use a belt and deter clients from using them too. If you are not already injured there, why limit development of unassisted gaining?

NightSide

i wear my lever belt pretty much for all my squat,deadlift and bench sets. i like to keep all my sets, including warmups, as close to my competition lifts as possible. form changes without it.

but then again i’m a cheater.

[quote] Matt wrote:
If you train heavy, use a belt. The day you lose tightness in the hole of a heavy squat without a belt on, will be the day your chiro is smiling on his way to the bank. There is no downside, if you feel your abs don’t get enough training because of wearing a belt, do direct ab work.[/quote]

Define ‘heavy’. Last time I squatted I did 275x7 (I’m a beginner pretty much), I don’t wear a belt.

My QL muscles cramp up and get real tight when doing rackpulls and deads, and sometimes on other lifts as well. When I started my low back would always be fried after squatting, but I’ve improved my form and it’s not as much of a problem now. Still, I wonder if it’s better to play it safe.

I was also wondering how tight that belt is supposed to be cinched, as tight as possible or leave a little room to breathe there?

I have scoliosis so I always wear a belt for working sets of squats, usually any weight higher than I bench press and the belt goes on.

[quote]Mr.Purple wrote:
Define ‘heavy’. Last time I squatted I did 275x7 (I’m a beginner pretty much), I don’t wear a belt.
[/quote]

Heavy is relative, but 275 is definitely enough weight to get fucked up if you screw up.

[quote]Mr.Purple wrote:
I was also wondering how tight that belt is supposed to be cinched, as tight as possible or leave a little room to breathe there?[/quote]

Personal preference. One of my training partners is stronger with his belt one notch loose, while I like mine inhumanly tight.

Bottom line to me, there is no negative of using your belt on the big lifts. If you feel you are not getting enough “core” work, train it directly. Then again, like Marauder I am a cheater also so take that for what its worth.

bellts will only provide biger injurie, there are articles about belts read some, they where made to lift more weight not for protection

/thread

If you have LB problems then why not. No point in risking injury when you can use a preventative measure.

Does anyone know of a company that makes custom belts (company logo on the back)?

A link would be appreciated, thanks!

Strengthen your ‘core’ (abdominal wall AND lower back) to mimic a weight-belt. Only use a belt when you are going really heavy, usually the last one or two sets of a ‘big movement’.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
In the time I started training I have always seen advice against belts. But then again, I’ve also read about how curls are the devil, leg press machines suck, anytime of crunch movement, etc. What about weight belts? All the pro bb’s use them and I really just care about maintaining my back health. After my hernia surgery in a few weeks I was thinking about picking up a belt. I’m 6’3" so my back tends to get a lot of activation with squats and deads. Your opinions?[/quote]

Curls ARE the devil and IMO don’t do much for you.

Leg press machines do suck.

“anytime” of crunch movement isn’t proper English.

IMO Belts are ok for your heaviest sets but I personally have never used one and I have a broken L3 and L5 vertebra. Most people use them as a crutch, but there are a few guys around that use them correctly. but again this is one guy’s opinion…to each their own…

I’m thinking about getting one soon, but it is because my squat/dead are getting to a new level of “my life sucks” kind of heavy

[quote]Marko Begu? wrote:
bellts will only provide biger injurie, there are articles about belts read some, they where made to lift more weight not for protection

/thread[/quote]

Sorry, you are not qualified to /thread