Official T-Nation Baseball Thread

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
rainjack wrote:
JNG wound up with Manny Ramirez.

What do the numbers in the waiver colunm mean?

I’m fairly happy with my guys. I think that, because of the size of the league, there are a lot of marginal players that will need to step up.

Who wound up with the closer from the Dodgers, what’s this nams - Gagne?

The waiver numbers mean what rank you have to choose a player off of waivers. It’s an inverse to the number of your draft order (eg drafted first, waiver 20).
If I understood that correctly.
[/quote]

Rainjack is right, but your waiver priority changes as you take players off of waivers (example- I won’t have the #2 priority for the whole season). Yahoo has a complicated algorithm for it that I don’t even want to know.

Montreal Ex-x-x-expos:
I’m sending you a trade offer.

[quote]mica617 wrote:
Montreal Ex-x-x-expos:
I’m sending you a trade offer.[/quote]

how are trades handled? Is it just a straight up player for player deal?

Dear Lord Jesus,
Please watch over Ken Griffey Jr.'s hamstring, keep it strong and flexible;
please watch over Jose Reyes and keep him healthy so he might win the NL MVP;
and please kick Sean Burroughs in the ass and make him become the player he is supposed to be.
Amen

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
mica617 wrote:
Montreal Ex-x-x-expos:

how are trades handled? Is it just a straight up player for player deal?[/quote]

You propose the trade off of your team’s page- it can be player for player, or 2-for-1, etc. Then the other manager clicks on the details of the trade from the team page and can accept, decline, or counter-offer. If it is accepted, then there is a two day waiting period for the league to oppose the trade (mostly if one team is dumping players to stack another team, ie cheating). I haven’t ever seen anyone get a trade shot down in any of the baseball leagues that I have played in, but saw a “Warren Sapp for Terrell Owens” get shot down in a football league.

Just FYI, when you check your lineups, the top of the screen should have any open transactions that are pending (trades or YOUR waiver requests).

'62 Chevette,

I sent you a trade offer, as well.

[quote]mica617 wrote:
Joe Weider wrote:
mica617 wrote:
Montreal Ex-x-x-expos:

how are trades handled? Is it just a straight up player for player deal?

You propose the trade off of your team’s page- it can be player for player, or 2-for-1, etc. Then the other manager clicks on the details of the trade from the team page and can accept, decline, or counter-offer. If it is accepted, then there is a two day waiting period for the league to oppose the trade (mostly if one team is dumping players to stack another team, ie cheating). I haven’t ever seen anyone get a trade shot down in any of the baseball leagues that I have played in, but saw a “Warren Sapp for Terrell Owens” get shot down in a football league.

Just FYI, when you check your lineups, the top of the screen should have any open transactions that are pending (trades or YOUR waiver requests).[/quote]

so I can actually give any good players to the highest bidders for a share of the free supps?

J/K!

[quote]rainjack wrote:
The draft is over!

I got my guys, and all I can say is ya’ll are screwed.[/quote]

You guys are killing me, here. I am at work and have ZERO access to any kind of fantasy baseball stuff since it is blocked. I have to wait until I get home to see my team. (insert sad, poignant violin music here)

Kuz

[quote]Bobcat wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:
Allright –

I’m in the market for someone with some saves – an actual closer. All reasonable offers will be considered. Unreasonable offers will result in a virtual atomic wedgie.

I’ve got a few closers on my team, maybe some excess to trade.[/quote]

I PM’d you – I know I need a closer but I don’t know what you think you need. Let’s discuss a little and see if we can work something out.

Could someone please explain how the waivers work, for example do I first need to clear a spot on my roster?
Thanks

Am I winning yet?

Looks like I got 20% of the players I wanted… It’s not as bad as I originally thought.

As my waiver number is 19, I think I must have drafted pretty early. I suppose better ordering of my desired players is called for next time, heh.

Anywho, gentlemen; let the games commence.

-FC

One of my guys announced his retirement (the gonad), so I’m trying to add a replacment… sheesh.

[quote]vroom wrote:
One of my guys announced his retirement (the gonad), so I’m trying to add a replacment… sheesh.[/quote]

who retired today?

This is probably a stupid question, but I guess there’s no DH in this league?

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
This is probably a stupid question, but I guess there’s no DH in this league?[/quote]

Not stupid at all. The closest thing is the Utility slot where you can play any offensive player/non-pitcher. The only reason it is not truly like a DH is that we have defensive stats that will count.

Kuz

[quote]concreteguy wrote:
Could someone please explain how the waivers work, for example do I first need to clear a spot on my roster?
Thanks[/quote]

No need to clear a spot first. You put in a claim for a player on waivers, select which player you would cut if your claim goes through and then if it does, you get that player and the other is dropped.

Every team has a waiver ranking. If two or more teams make a claim on a player, the team with the highest ranking at that time wins out. However, when you claim someone off waivers, you then drop to the end of the line in the rankings.

Kuz

Mica,

I saw your offer, not good enough, but it can be the start of trade discussions.

I need a bit of strategy advice.

Since we have to have a minimum of 7 innings pitched per week, would it make more sense to be heavy on starters to ensure getting the seven?

Or - should you go heavy on the relievers since they will have more appearances per week than a starter would?

I’m about 50/50 on my SP/RP mix, but Hitting the 7 inning mark may hard to do if I have crappy starters - i.e. they get knocked out early.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Joe Weider wrote:
This is probably a stupid question, but I guess there’s no DH in this league?

Not stupid at all. The closest thing is the Utility slot where you can play any offensive player/non-pitcher. The only reason it is not truly like a DH is that we have defensive stats that will count.

Kuz[/quote]

well, I’d much prefer to pick up a good first baseman and let Ortiz just hit. That’s why god made him. Just for hitting.
But I guess I’m gonna have to rely on him in the field.