No Talking in the Gym Crap

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
cvb wrote:
I had a workout partner who hated when I talked. He took me aside and said he did not want any talking while working out. I needed to be completely focused on my workout and to keep my mouth shut. I trained with him for 5 months. I was ready to slit my wrist by the end of it. Plus I was not getting stronger. I need to be able to discuss the workout and ask questions. I no longer workout with him and have made much more progress and am enjoying working out again.

I would have told him to fuck off.

The biggest strongest guys at my old gym always talked while they trained. They cracked jokes and pushed each other relentlessly.

They were cool guys and I learned a lot from watching them and eventually training with them although they were much stronger than I was.

They did not hang out by the water fountain wasting time chatting to everyone but they were not silent.

I can see putting on headphones if I was by myself and some dickhead wanted to talk about Beverly Hills 90210 or whatever it is you kids watch today but if you have a training parter and never say a word during your workout you are an asshole.[/quote]

I should have told him to fuck off. I am learning. People tend to push me around so I am learning to not take any shit. I tend to want everyone to like me. I did learn that I can’t make everyone happy so now I just make myself happy. I have pissed a lot of people off lately but at least they are leaving me alone.

[quote]cvb wrote:
I should have told him to fuck off. I am learning. People tend to push me around so I am learning to not take any shit. I tend to want everyone to like me. I did learn that I can’t make everyone happy so now I just make myself happy. I have pissed a lot of people off lately but at least they are leaving me alone. [/quote]

Hell Yea!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
The biggest strongest guys at my old gym always talked while they trained. They cracked jokes and pushed each other relentlessly.

They were cool guys and I learned a lot from watching them and eventually training with them although they were much stronger than I was.

They did not hang out by the water fountain wasting time chatting to everyone but they were not silent.

I can see putting on headphones if I was by myself and some dickhead wanted to talk about Beverly Hills 90210 or whatever it is you kids watch today but if you have a training parter and never say a word during your workout you are an asshole.

I joke around with people who are serious, but only during the appropriate times. I hang out with one guy who competes in NPC and we aren’t silent when working out…but we also aren’t goofing around and the workouts are focused. There is a huge difference between guys who really live for this clowning each other and motivating each other…and some guy who just got off the couch talking about shit that doesn’t relate to what they should be focusing on.

The thing is, the majority of people in the gym lately aren’t serious. They are just going through the motions. They also seem to think they are entitled to the exact same kind of respect as people who do take this seriously. I don’t mean spitting on them or being rude to them, but some seem surprised that you don’t want to talk about random shit while training.[/quote]

I think the joking and talking depends a lot on your personality. I am very laid back and love to joke around and have a few friends that lift that are the same way. We have no problem joking in between sets and staying focused during the actual lifting. In fact, at one of our recent strongman competitions, before the stones event, we kept joking that if the first stone felt heavy we should just quit and not even try to lift it.

On the other hand, I’ve also had those days where you just happen to find youself in the zone and there’s just very little talking, and the people I lift with understand when it happens.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

…There is a huge difference between guys who really live for this clowning each other and motivating each other…and some guy who just got off the couch talking about shit that doesn’t relate to what they should be focusing on.
[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
First, let me say I was called out on this because I had a discussion with my wife on the way out of the gym, and because I work out with my wife.
[/quote]

On a calmer note (compared to my post yesterday), let me say that if someone complained that you were talking while you were actually walking out, I think they were over the top. If you were standing around the weight room distracting others with loud conversation, that’d be annoying. But if you were away from the weight room and talking? To your wife? I’m on your side there.

This is why I wear headphones and work out alone.

If you talk while you’re lifting, you don’t have enough weight on the bar.

Not talking in the gym is almost like not talking in a men’s public restroom. If someone’s benching or using the commode, don’t initiate conversation with them. Such a distraction inhibits the task at hand and boggels the mind(Why the hell is this person speaking? Are they blind?).

Otherwise How much you talk just reflects how much you like/hate efficiency. If I’ve got 90 minutes to work out insted of 45 I’m in a completely differnt mentality.

But for the love of god would people stop talking to me when I’m in the middle of a lift, when I’m in what should be the 10 second switchover time between superset exersizes, or when you have a question that demands a detailed explanation of the human anatomy.

I workout in my basement so I don’t have much trouble with this. I did however have to explain to my daughter about questions like “Daddy do you remember how to bring down the console in the new Tomb Raider game on my computer” when I’m red faced and half way up on the last rep of a heavy set of deadlifts.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I workout in my basement so I don’t have much trouble with this. I did however have to explain to my daughter about questions like “Daddy do you remember how to bring down the console in the new Tomb Raider game on my computer” when I’m red faced and half way up on the last rep of a heavy set of deadlifts.[/quote]

Dude, that’s what you get for choosing a six-year-old as your training partner!

:slight_smile:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I workout in my basement so I don’t have much trouble with this. I did however have to explain to my daughter about questions like “Daddy do you remember how to bring down the console in the new Tomb Raider game on my computer” when I’m red faced and half way up on the last rep of a heavy set of deadlifts.[/quote]

Or

-Your son climbs on you when you are benching.
-Your son tries to jump up and grab the bar when you are doing shoulder press.
-Your son jumps on you when you are doing a crunch and crunches his future brother or sister.
-Your dog walks under the bar when you are dealifting and doesn’t move. Actualy wags his tail when you yell “move or die!”.
-Your kids get your foam pad thrown out because they used it as a weapon making future Zercher squats hurt a lot.

Fuck, the commercial gym actually sounds prety good.

Get in, get out, quit fuckin’ about… Yo ho… Yo ho…

[quote]travis7 wrote:
I like bringing my CB radio to the gym with me…

“Breaker, Breaker this is Southern Gypsy, what’s your location? Out”[/quote]

Sorry, but this was pretty dam funy.

I have no problems talking to people when I’m working out. And if we’re talking about something that I’m passionate about, I simply use that energy in my lifts.

Works well for me.

Put on your Ipod, listen to some Static-X, and save your chit chat. Your wasting time using the machine that I need. It drives me nuts when three guys come in and use the same machine for an hour because their BSing about Lil Flip or Dave Chapelle. Shutup! I can hear you over my music and breaking my concentration. We don’t care if you talk, just don’t let it interfere with people that actually want to use their time effectively. Consider the gym a library.

[quote]summa wrote:

Or

-Your son jumps on you when you are doing a crunch and crunches his future brother or sister.
-Your dog walks under the bar when you are dealifting and doesn’t move. Actualy wags his tail when you yell “move or die!”.
-Your kids get your foam pad thrown out because they used it as a weapon making future Zercher squats hurt a lot.

[/quote]

LOL, imagining those made me laugh. At least your son seems excited about being involved in exercise.

Can’t you close the door or something?

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
summa wrote:

Or

LOL, imagining those made me laugh. At least your son seems excited about being involved in exercise.

Can’t you close the door or something?[/quote]

Actually, he walks around the house lifting stuff and grunting. He is 20 months. I have a daughter and she jumps on the bench every time I get off saying “It’s my turn”. She is 3.5 years. Unfortunately I do not have a door in my basement for my gym which is only a power rack and an Olympic bar. I am relegated to a corner where the rough-in for the bathroom is. It is a pretty sad setup but better than nothing.

[quote]summa wrote:
-Your dog walks under the bar when you are dealifting and doesn’t move. Actualy wags his tail when you yell “move or die!”.[/quote]
LMAO!

I workout usually twice a week and am at the gym for probably close to three hours each time. I train with three other guys. Between sets we have a good ol’ time. We will bullshit with the best of them. It makes the workout much more enjoyable. Besides, with the weight that is being lifted, we need the break between sets. When we enter the gym we will get two flat benches and carry them to where ever we are working that day. We spread out our stuff and make ourselves at home. I’ve had some of the most enjoyable conversations between sets.

Now, getting ready for a set or during a set the only talking is motivational shit( and some slapping). I would go crazy if I just sat there and didn’t talk the entire time. In my opinion, during a set your concentration should be so great that you don’t hear anything anyway. My gym plays some of the gayest shit for music but I don’t hear it during a set.

If someone walked up to me and said they I needed to be quiet during my workout, their next word out of their mouth would be- “could someone please help me find my teeth?”

meat

[quote]summa wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t know about dogs, there are plenty of guys at my gym who would do this.