No Talking in the Gym Crap

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
First, let me say I was called out on this because I had a discussion with my wife on the way out of the gym, and because I work out with my wife. [/quote]

Ummm… Let’s be more specific: You were talking to your wife about Britney Spear’s ab routine.

I talk slash don’t talk. Or Should I say I don’t like to talk. I have this workout buddy that I no longer workout with, because he talks too much. Whenever we’re in the gym at the same time now he stays in one corner of the gym and I’m over at the squat rack (it’s a coincidence whenever we’re there at the same time it’s my leg day). I put him in his place one time and he thinks you can socialize and train at the same time. Not in my book!

I learnt a lot of things about weight lifting from talking to the guys older than me in the gym. I made a couple of gym friends. They help me with spotting. We talk about training between sets too sometimes. I use my discretion when I know it’s time to stop talking and do the set. It all depends who you talk to. If you talk to someone who isn’t focused like you are you’ll be distracted. That’s why I don’t talk to my friend anymore in the gym. He’s just not focused like I am. But at the same time you’ll catch me talking to someone who IS focused and it wouldn’t bug me. 99% of the time we’re talking about training. I have the ability to re-focus.

I guess the reason why people have that “I don’t talk to anyone in my gym attitude” is because unfortunately they’re surrounded by a lot non-serious trainees. Fortunately, I don’t have this problem with my gym. I probably do but it doesn’t get to me. Just as long as they don’t bug me no one gets hurt. What pisses me off is when I see Seated Swiss-Ball Dumbbell Curls (I’m not even lying).

I remember recently I was doing Snatch-Grip Deads and this guy is doing Incline Bench right behind me. During my psyche-up before the set I feel the bar moving and you just get that feeling someone’s behind you, you know? The guy behind me is touching my plates! I turn around he’s like, “Whoa! How much is that?” And at the same time he’s calculating the weight. I just gave him some dutty cut-eye and he shut up. I just gave him the death look you know, haha. That just pissed me off. That was such a pathetic move I just wanted to fart in his face. You ever get the farts while your deadlifting?

Anyways

My point is, he’s one of those people in the gym you DO NOT converse with.

I was talking to a veteran yesterday and he pointed out some of the people that’s been here as long as he has. He said, “You see that big black guy over there with the girl? He’s been here since ever.”

“You see that skinny guy. Yeah that one. He’s been here forever. You know what I noticed? He always looked the same. He has terrible form, and he rather chat up the ladies. You’ve been here for just 2 years and you look way thicker than him.”

Those are the kinds of people you DO NOT want talk to during your training.

I hope someone can relate with me on this one.

-Serious

I don’t have a problem with people talking, per se. I myself turn the mp3 player about as loud as possible and don’t say a word. What gets me is when someone is stretching their calves on the bench press platform when I want on it, talking to their buddy about, well I honestly wouldn’t know because I can’t hear them, but I can only assume it’s got nothing to do with the set of curls he finally got to on the cables when he finally moved along.

If someone wants to use the gym as a social club, completely fine by me. But I try to get the most out of my time at the gym when lifting and someone tying up racks, benches, etc. because they want to tell thier buddy about what their kid did yesterday, pick up your towel and take it away from the equipment.

Well thats cool, I seem to agree with everyone. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

And yes, I was called out for talking about Britney Spear’s abs, but that was on the way out. And no I am not happy about the conversation.

No, I am not a big talker in the gym. In fact people often tick me off and I stay away from the talkers because they can engage you and burn up your time. However, if something comes to my mind when we have a moment I let it out. This post was long winded because I get that way at night when I am normally alone.

Example of a conversation during a workout: I explained why I kept saying “light weight” the other day. The explanation was maybe a minute and I explained I had watched Ronnie doing DB flyes saying “light weight”. I find it inspirational to say light weight.

I have seen the topic of “not talking” in the gym in several articles and I personally thought it a bit extreme, this article most recently:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-163-training

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau Wrote:
When you set foot in the gym, you must enter the zone: only think about training and focusing on getting the most out of every single muscle contraction. Don’t waste your time between sets, don’t engage in any conversation (I can’t recall a time in the past three years where I said more than one sentence at a time during a workout),[/quote]

Thanks again for your responses.

I don’t mind talking to someone, and them talking to me, but I limit the conversation to a couple of sentences, and then go about my business.

You know what total NON-FOCUS is? The guys and girls who are working out and talk on their cell phones, and having 20 minute conversations. That is NOT for the gym, you can sit in the lobby and talk, or go somewhere else and carry on your conversation about why you missed your dentist appointment, then call and reschedule.

To me, there is no point of someone going to the gym if they are going to do that. But then again, they are paying the gym membership, so I guess they can do whatever they want. To each his own.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
Example of a conversation during a workout: I explained why I kept saying “light weight” the other day. The explanation was maybe a minute and I explained I had watched Ronnie doing DB flyes saying “light weight”. I find it inspirational to say light weight.
[/quote]

You may want to wait until you are pushing some actual heavy weight before you copy Ronnie’s “light weight” phrase… or people who know where it comes from might just be laughing at you.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
pointment, then call and reschedule.

To me, there is no point of someone going to the gym if they are going to do that. But then again, they are paying the gym membership, so I guess they can do whatever they want. To each his own.[/quote]

No. there is no point of doing that, or some of these clowns that talk the entire time they are there, even during a set.

I often personally wish they would stay home though. Sometimes they disrupt me and get in my way.

i just put on my headphones and away i go

[quote]vroom wrote:
Petedacook wrote:
You may want to wait until you are pushing some actual heavy weight before you copy Ronnie’s “light weight” phrase… or people who know where it comes from might just be laughing at you.[/quote]

True.

The Gold’s I go to has a juice bar and a bunch of socialites, so I dont think those tools know who Ronnie is. Anyhow, I doubt I will be doing that anymore since it was a fad after just watching the Ronnie video.

I had a workout partner who hated when I talked. He took me aside and said he did not want any talking while working out. I needed to be completely focused on my workout and to keep my mouth shut. I trained with him for 5 months. I was ready to slit my wrist by the end of it. Plus I was not getting stronger. I need to be able to discuss the workout and ask questions. I no longer workout with him and have made much more progress and am enjoying working out again.

[quote]sasquatch wrote

It is usually said by wannabe tough guys and other ‘fools’ on this site to show everyone how serious they are about lifting.[/quote]

And you would know all  about ''wannabe tough guys'' wouldn't you.

I don't talk when i train, i am there for one thing only to exceed my previous best, for guys who can do that while talking more power to them but i for one cannot, it is my personal time, i have a mission and i will achieve the goals that i have for that day. 

Boo hoo.

If you go to a regular 9-5 gym, expect to see regular 9-5 people there. Not everyone is as serious as some of us are about training; these are more than likely the people who DON’T enjoy lifting weights, but do so simply to reap the benefits of the activity (looking good nekkid, keeping the ticker ticking, doc’s orders, etc).

They do what they have to do to make it tolerable and to keep themselves showing up day after day. You can resent them for raining on your parade at the gym (though in my opinion it’s more of a drizzle), but at least they show up. It’s more than a majority of the population can say.

So, block them out. Use headphones. Work out at home. Switch gyms. Bitch at them over an online forum. Maybe even ASK THEM TO KEEP IT DOWN or move it along. There’s more than one way to skin this cat, people.

If they can zero in when it counts (under the bar), I don’t give a fuck if they use a pogo stick and foghorn in between sets.

LOL. That’s harsh.

I think if you are with somebody at the gym, you can talk, but keep it down so as not to bother other people. I’d probably stick to gym topics myself to keep from getting distracted, but then I lift alone, so who knows.

It only happened once, but one day these three older men stood around and relived some golfing event or something. They were talking loudly, bursting into laughter, and so forth.

It was very hard not to be distracted by that shit, even with the earphones on.

[quote]aussie486 wrote:
sasquatch wrote

It is usually said by wannabe tough guys and other ‘fools’ on this site to show everyone how serious they are about lifting.

And you would know all  about ''wannabe tough guys'' wouldn't you.

I don't talk when i train, i am there for one thing only to exceed my previous best, for guys who can do that while talking more power to them but i for one cannot, it is my personal time, i have a mission and i will achieve the goals that i have for that day. 
    [/quote]

Actually, I think I’m a pretty good judge of them.

I’m sorry you can’t focus on more than one thing at a time.

I think if you like to talk then you will make better gains talking and if you like silence then you will make better gains with silence! Mental focus is key and some people can focus better without talking, but others can talk and then bring themselves to focus immediately. Personally I like to have a training partner with me who will boost my confidence and get me to push out that extra force to go beyond what I am normally capable of! I have made my best gains with a training partner to talk to. But when it comes time to focus on the lift the only words coming out of our mouths are words of support like, “come on, you’ve got it, your almost there,” or “push harder, Viter (german for further)”. Anyway whatever makes you focus, but I believe it is no one’s business but your own unless you are affecting their workout by talking to them or being ridiculously loud.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Pete, buddy, hum this song next time you want to start talking at the gym…

Sitting on this barstool talking like a damn fool
Got the twelve oclock news blues
And Ive given up hope on the afternoon soaps
And a bottle of cold brew
Is it any wonder Im not crazy? is it any wonder Im sane at all…
[/quote]

Well I’m so tired of losing, I’ve got nothing to do and all day to do it.

I’d go out cruising, but I’ve no place to go and all night to get there.

Is it any wonder I’m not a criminal?
Is it any wonder I’m not in jail?

Is it any wonder I’ve got too much (clap clap) time on my hands, it’s ticking away with my sanity. I’ve got too much (clap clap) time on my hands, it’s hard to believe such a calamity, I’ve got too much time on my hands and it’s ticknig away, ticking awyay from me.

Well I’m a jet fuel genius. I can solve the world’s problems without even trying
I’ve got dozens of friends, and the fun never ends, that is as long as I’m buying.

Is it any wonder I’m not the president?
Is it any wonder I’m null and void?

Is is any wonder I’ve got too much tiem on my hands

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

Actually, I think I’m a pretty good judge of them.

I’m sorry you can’t focus on more than one thing at a time.
[/quote]

From what I have seen I think your a pretty good judge of them also. Your response was right on with what I was thinking.

[quote]cvb wrote:
I had a workout partner who hated when I talked. He took me aside and said he did not want any talking while working out. I needed to be completely focused on my workout and to keep my mouth shut. I trained with him for 5 months. I was ready to slit my wrist by the end of it. Plus I was not getting stronger. I need to be able to discuss the workout and ask questions. I no longer workout with him and have made much more progress and am enjoying working out again. [/quote]

I would have told him to fuck off.

The biggest strongest guys at my old gym always talked while they trained. They cracked jokes and pushed each other relentlessly.

They were cool guys and I learned a lot from watching them and eventually training with them although they were much stronger than I was.

They did not hang out by the water fountain wasting time chatting to everyone but they were not silent.

I can see putting on headphones if I was by myself and some dickhead wanted to talk about Beverly Hills 90210 or whatever it is you kids watch today but if you have a training parter and never say a word during your workout you are an asshole.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
The biggest strongest guys at my old gym always talked while they trained. They cracked jokes and pushed each other relentlessly.

They were cool guys and I learned a lot from watching them and eventually training with them although they were much stronger than I was.

They did not hang out by the water fountain wasting time chatting to everyone but they were not silent.

I can see putting on headphones if I was by myself and some dickhead wanted to talk about Beverly Hills 90210 or whatever it is you kids watch today but if you have a training parter and never say a word during your workout you are an asshole.[/quote]

I joke around with people who are serious, but only during the appropriate times. I hang out with one guy who competes in NPC and we aren’t silent when working out…but we also aren’t goofing around and the workouts are focused. There is a huge difference between guys who really live for this clowning each other and motivating each other…and some guy who just got off the couch talking about shit that doesn’t relate to what they should be focusing on.

The thing is, the majority of people in the gym lately aren’t serious. They are just going through the motions. They also seem to think they are entitled to the exact same kind of respect as people who do take this seriously. I don’t mean spitting on them or being rude to them, but some seem surprised that you don’t want to talk about random shit while training.

my ipod’s been broken for a few months now. I’ve been too lazy to buy a new one, but I wear it anyway so nobody bothers me. It’s interesting the things people will say about you when they think you are oblivious to your surroundings (roids). Not that I have anything against roids, but it’s the stigma that they are the reason for your gains, and not you busting your ass every time you come in there. I’m a few steps away from buying a used barbell and some plates for my basement.