Nihilism and Fight Club

That’s because I didn’t want to answer you question. It was rhetorical.

Eat dick.

I don’t have anything better to do when I’m on drugs than sit on the fucking internet and discuss philosophy with you retards.

You would think that. I’d prefer a side of pussy with my drugs.

[quote]meangenes wrote:

My turn. What’s your purpose on this planet? Do you have a philosophy similar. Does anyone? Or does everyone just question philosophy? Skepticism is great too. I like em’ all they equally make just as much sense as the rest. Haha, What assholes. You guys are great. I mean that in a completely non-offensive manner. Assholes.[/quote]

Does everyone just question philosophy? That is really the whole point, isn’t it? – to question? Personally, I’m too young and not yet well read enough to “have a philosophy.” So, speaking for myself, all I can do is question, at this point. After reading your posts, it appears you haven’t yet reached that point in your learning. You seem to know just enough to be sure you have it all figured out. What’s the point of having intelligible dialogue with others if you’ve already got it figured out, right? – better just to tell everyone who asks you to explain yourself that “this is who I am, don’t like it? fuck off!” If you’re content with that, fine; I don’t think anyone really cares what it is you choose to believe. Just don’t post on a public board asking others what they think if you don’t like people questioning the validity – or intelligibility – of your position.

Read – or reread, whatever the case may be – “The Apology of Socrates” by Plato. Pay special attention to his definition of wisdom. His is a good frame of mind to keep yourself in…

[quote]meangenes wrote:

Eat dick.

I don’t have anything better to do when I’m on drugs than sit on the fucking internet and discuss philosophy with you retards.
[/quote]

that and play WoW were my assumptions

besides the only pussy u’re getting is the sock on ur dick while some level 60 NightElf guildmate talks dirty to u

also it was obvious from my post that the question wasn’t rhetorical

[quote]IvanDmitritch wrote:
meangenes wrote:

My turn. What’s your purpose on this planet? Do you have a philosophy similar. Does anyone? Or does everyone just question philosophy? Skepticism is great too. I like em’ all they equally make just as much sense as the rest. Haha, What assholes. You guys are great. I mean that in a completely non-offensive manner. Assholes.

Does everyone just question philosophy? That is really the whole point, isn’t it? – to question? Personally, I’m too young and not yet well read enough to “have a philosophy.” So, speaking for myself, all I can do is question, at this point. After reading your posts, it appears you haven’t yet reached that point in your learning. You seem to know just enough to be sure you have it all figured out. What’s the point of having intelligible dialogue with others if you’ve already got it figured out, right? – better just to tell everyone who asks you to explain yourself that “this is who I am, don’t like it? fuck off!” If you’re content with that, fine; I don’t think anyone really cares what it is you choose to believe. Just don’t post on a public board asking others what they think if you don’t like people questioning the validity – or intelligibility – of your position.

Read – or reread, whatever the case may be – “The Apology of Socrates” by Plato. Pay special attention to his definition of wisdom. His is a good frame of mind to keep yourself in…[/quote]

I just explained the purpose of this board. Other than that, you just spewed a lot of after-the-fact bullshit.

Thanks for following my lead though.

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
meangenes wrote:

Eat dick.

that and play WoW were my assumptions

besides the only pussy u’re getting is the sock on ur dick while some level 60 NightElf guildmate talks dirty to u

also it was obvious from my post that the question wasn’t rhetorical[/quote]

You would assume something like that. Your character is really beginning to show. Twat.

And my lifts shit all on yours.

Get your weight up lil guy.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
BabyBuster wrote:
We are all stupider for being a part of this.

It shows.
[/quote]

I know, right? Before I started reading this I would have written something classy, like: The intelligence of all parties involved in this thread are drastically reducing as a direct result of the contents within.

Now I have to make up words to … talk … what I’m thinking … of.

All this half-assed talk of philosophy is rather irritating, seeing as how I doubt any of you have a credible background in it and I’ve yet to see any coherent use of a legitimate philosophical approach to anything here.

Being an arrogant prick isn’t a philosophy.

[quote]meangenes wrote:

Get your weight up lil guy.[/quote]

uh oh, looks like i struck a nerve

this guy isn’t getting mad though… he said so

[quote]meangenes wrote:
BabyBuster wrote:
We are all stupider for being a part of this.

It shows.
[/quote]

Stupider is a word. You may want to be certain that you are correct the next time you correct someone’s grammar.

Stupider is slang. The correct term is “more stupid”.

You might want to take your own advice.

[quote]Contrl wrote:
All this half-assed talk of philosophy is rather irritating, seeing as how I doubt any of you have a credible background in it and I’ve yet to see any coherent use of a legitimate philosophical approach to anything here.

Being an arrogant prick isn’t a philosophy.[/quote]

You sure?

I like that one too. I’m gonna use it sometime.

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
meangenes wrote:

this guy isn’t getting mad though… he said so[/quote]

Just stating a fact lil guy.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
Stupider is slang. The correct term is “more stupid”.

You might want to take your own advice.[/quote]

Not according to

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stupider
Non-standard.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
HotCarl28 wrote:
meangenes wrote:

this guy isn’t getting mad though… he said so

Just stating a fact lil guy.[/quote]

oh no haha… u misunderstood
how factual ur post was isn’t relevant… its the fact that u felt the need to actually go to my profile, look at my weights, compare them to ur own, then come back to the board, comment on my weights (though irrelevant to the argument) and call me lil guy which is clearly meant to be derisive

this is how i know my previous post upset u
do u understand now?

Nope, I look at everyones profile. I compare everyone stats and I am better than you, fact.

All in good competition.

this was the smartest sounding retarded thread I’ve read in a while.

It was a pretty cool movie, but if you could re-explain the ideas in your post when you come off of the cocaine I bet I could understand it a little more clearly for discussion purposes.

Okay, so enough of the flame wars - let’s get back on topic and make this whole thing a bit clearer.

Meangenes - how exactly do you define Nihilism and in what way does it apply to your life?

I’ll summarize the philosophy here:

The standard definition of Nihilism is that it is a philosophical position which argues that Being, especially past and current human existence, is without objective meaning, purpose, comprehensible truth, or essential value.

Nihilism is associated with anomie, which is general mood of despair at the pointlessness of existence.

Nietzsche called Nihilism “the will to nothingness” and argued that it came from once believing in religous or spritual things, then rejecting one’s former belief system. He asserts that nihilism is a result of valuing nonexistent or non-extant “higher”, “heavenly”, or “divine” things (such as God). The nihilist who began by holding these values, after rejecting them, retains a belief that all “lower”, “earthly”, or “human” ideas are valueless (or so little valuable as to be essentially valueless) because they were considered so in the previous belief system. In this interpretation, any form of idealism, after being rejected by the idealist, leads to nihilism. Moreover, this is the source of “inconsistency on the part of the nihilists”. The nihilist continues to believe that only “higher” values and truths are worthy of being called such, but rejects the idea that they exist. Because of this rejection, all ideas described as true or valuable are rejected by the nihilist as impossible because they do not meet the previously established standards.

The problem with Nihilism is that it contains the liar’s paradox - if it is true that truth does not exist, the statement “truth does not exist” is itself a truth, therefore showing itself to be inconsistent.

A more sophisticated interpretation of the claim might be that while truth may exist, it is inaccessible in practice, but this leaves open the problem of how the nihilist has accessed it. It may be a reasonable reply that the nihilist has not accessed truth directly, but has come to the conclusion, based on past experience, that truth is ultimately unattainable within the confines of human circumstance.

I will go on to say that this nihilism can be found in a religion such as Buddhism, which asserts that all realities are dukkha - ill and impermanent, and the only way out is to reach Ultimate Truth which is Nirvana, which is beyond the confines of human experience or intellect. Basically there is some kind of “Self” that is real and transcendent above this reality, which is the Buddha, while we as individual points of view, or “egos” trapped within the confines of the human body and bound to the wheel of death and rebirth, are not real - just empty, ignorant and delusional.

"Body, feelings, perception, activities and mind/consciousness are not the Self. Self does not have body, feelings, perception, activities and mind/consciousness…

All constructed false states of existence and all constructed creations of all elements of both materiality and immateriality, material shape, body, sense organs, internal and external sense fields, sensations, feelings, experiences, perception, activities, mind, consciousness, thought and mental states are impermanent, ill and without Self.

All “this” – everything – is created, thought out and affected, fleeting, impermanent, and is but a Selfless fantasy, an exhausted intellection, a notion, an imagining, a state of delusion, ALL made of thought, which must inherently end in dissolution. Everything is a decomposing round of make-believe fiction."

So I would argue that fundamental Buddhism is nihilistic in the sense that rejects all that we know as humans, says there is “something else” of value, but we cannot ever know it or reach it by normal human experience or through the intellect; it is something ineffable and undescribable that can only be reached through a “nirvana” experience; and all that we value, all of our intellect, everything we care about in this world is just a fetter that binds us to this illusory reality.

Now, for non-religous agnostic or atheistic Nihilism, this is a viewpoint I do not understand.

When Tyler Durden says “It is only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything”, what does that mean?

Maybe it has something to do with “emptying your cup” of all preconceived ideas, notions and values which were given to you by society and then finding your own?