Nihilism and Fight Club

Pookie u really dont understand this? Just wow. Let me see if i can explain it to u in terms a simpler mind would understand.

Another way to look at this (albeit in a much more juvenile and diluted sense)is that consciousness is an ocean, with an infinite amount of waves that are both discreet and part of a continuum, a continuum of discreetness that can interfere with itself which may (or may not) cause planar waves to coalesce to become both harmonious and combative in a quantum nature. Thus one can never know if their actions affect their chi in a positive or negative sense due to the fact that there karma flows equilibrium, rationalism shakras neofascism meridians extrapolatoironism, dogmatifeministicprogressivism, morphemolocialmeangenesisahugedouchewhohas
delusionalaspirationsofappearingeloquent

duh pookie

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
Pookie u really dont understand this? Just wow. Let me see if i can explain it to u in terms a simpler mind would understand.

Another way to look at this (albeit in a much more juvenile and diluted sense)is that consciousness is an ocean, with an infinite amount of waves that are both discreet and part of a continuum, a continuum of discreetness that can interfere with itself which may (or may not) cause planar waves to coalesce to become both harmonious and combative in a quantum nature. Thus one can never know if their actions affect their chi in a positive or negative sense due to the fact that there karma flows equilibrium, rationalism shakras neofascism meridians extrapolatoironism, dogmatifeministicprogressivism, morphemolocialmeangenesisahugedouchewhohas

duh pookie

[/quote]

1:47 through the video.

[quote]Acebgd12 wrote:
The major differences I see are that existentialism means giving things their own meaning/truth. Therefore, things have truth and meaning, if you give truth and meaning to them.

Nihilism, on the other hand, says that things do not have meaning, and that there is no truth.

What about nihilism are you partial to?[/quote]

Beginning and end.

Alpha and Omega.

Good and bad.

Positive and negative.

Light and dark.

We all start with a purpose. So much as I hope that my bloodline continues and I try, I will never know. Why try to know? Why dwell on it? Why not exist until I die.

If this death thing doesn’t fail me then I will end up as a Nihilist.

Make sense? Probably not. It’s bullshit, forget it.

[quote]Acebgd12 wrote:
It is inherently paradoxical.[/quote]

lol. Very good. haha

[quote]Acebgd12 wrote:
HotCarl28 wrote:

duh pookie

1:47 through the video.

[/quote]

thats pretty hilarious

so this thread is a joke correct? meangenes are u currently high? i dont mean this to be combative but ur thoughts appear to be very fragmented, abstract, and delusional…

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:

duh pookie

[/quote]

Exactly. Thanks.

[quote]pookie wrote:
JohnnyBlaze wrote:
If you can picture different axes upon which multiple versions of this reality extend out like the frames on movie projector film, there could be many different versions of your lifetime and many different conclusions to it. Each choice you make changes the outcome to a different ‘set’ of conclusions, like switching rails on a train track.

Basically I think he’s referring to parallel universe theory.

Well that’s nice. But it’s still meaningless since you only get to experience one rail.

All that blather just comes down to saying that you think about past and future decisions. Everybody does that… most of us speak of it in terms of “experience” and “considering various factors before making a decision” instead of talking about exponential planes and infinite possibilities.

Should we consider you “special” because you’re able to make decisions by yourself? Sounds more impressive if you talk about it in terms of “navigating the planes of infinite possibilities” or “exponential expansions of choices” but at the end of the day, it’s the same thing everybody does everyday. Get over it.

Using big words and borrowing metaphors from quantum physics (where they’re actually useful) might dazzle some people and make them think you’re deep and mysterious, but anyone who takes a longer look can’t fail to notice that your lovely container is empty. When you’ve got nothing to say, it’s often best to just say nothing.

Then he says “Ultimately defined by your death which is but another level of consciousness or lack there of.”

I recall, there is a theory in the field of anaesthesiology that says consciousness is not a constant state, but a continuum, with more subtle states able to be accessed under anaesthesia. These can be defined as “levels” - i.e. say that waking consciousness is at 1, dreaming sleep is at -20, the different levels can go down to somewhere like -255.

Just reading this has me at about -197.

An expert anaesthesiologist can bring a person down to a selected ‘depth’ depending on the drug and dose used. I know this isn’t the most accurate or articulate explanation, but I vaguely recall this after reading of it many years ago.

And that defines his existentialist philosophy how exactly?

Unless the point is that he’s living his life while being barely conscious… that would fit. I doubt that’s what he had in mind. At least consciously.

So, I think he’s referring to death as being below the lowest level of anaesthetized consciousness, if told in light of this theoretical perspective.

So…?

[/quote]

Well, I was just trying to interpret those sentences for you that did not communicate any meaning in your mind. So, now the information is conveyed. At least you got the point now and understood what was being communicated, regardless of your personal opinion on it.

I don’t subscribe to nihilism myself, but I do understand what the OP is talking about. I wasn’t defending or explaining his whole philosophy, just clarifying his definition of what “exponentially planar” means in regards to the initial question you asked.

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:

Another way to look at this (albeit in a much more juvenile and diluted sense)is that consciousness is an ocean, with an infinite amount of waves that are both discreet and part of a continuum, a continuum of discreetness that can interfere with itself which may (or may not) cause planar waves to coalesce to become both harmonious and combative in a quantum nature. Thus one can never know if their actions affect their chi in a positive or negative sense due to the fact that there karma flows equilibrium…

[/quote]

That actually sounded pretty cool up to that point. lol

I don’t know wtf you meant by ‘discreet’, I know you were joking to make bullshit, but are you familiar with Holographic Universe theory as proposed by Talbot? Or that matter and consciousness, according to Bohm, are the same thing (or part of the same totality)?

It’s interesting that you mentioned an ocean of energy or consciousness with interference patterns in it that form solid matter, because that is the basic gist of the theories.

[quote]meangenes wrote:

Yea sure anyway, you can only prove what you test right? In so far as concerning my own existence what I prove to be true for me, in mind minds right. Might not be “true” for you. E.g. Describe the color blue.

[/quote]

Yikes! I’m not trying to talk shit but much of what you’ve written , meangenes, reads very disjointed. You haven’t well defined your terms – which should be your first step in any discussion about philosophy. I’m tempted to believe you’re trying to sound esoteric on purpose – which is usually a sign that someone has a very shallow understanding of whatever it is he happens to be discussing.

The direction of the above post – epistemology – is a good place to start if you’re going to have a discussion about philosophy. If you don’t mind, can you explain what your epistemological position is? I ask because by using the subjectivity of perceived color as an example of the impossibility of “truth,” I’m left wondering how you define the term. Do you believe there are truths that are so for everyone? or are all “truths” subjective?

[quote]meangenes wrote:
Right. I’m sitting here, like chilling doing some homework, why? So I can go to school, why? So I can get a job, why? So I can make money, why? So I can get pussy, why? So I can have kids, why? So I can continue my genetic line, why? I don’t know, it makes sense to me.
[/quote]

If you take a bunch of different species, some possessing an inheritable drive to reproduce and others not guess which ones are going to have a long standing lineage.

As a helpful tip although you might think being unclear and giving responses that don’t actually answer people’s questions makes you sound smart but most people are aware that real smart people try to make themselves as understandable as possible.

[quote]IvanDmitritch wrote:
meangenes wrote:

Yikes! I’m not trying to talk shit but much of what you’ve written , meangenes, reads very disjointed. You haven’t well defined your terms – which should be your first step in any discussion about philosophy. I’m tempted to believe you’re trying to sound esoteric on purpose – which is usually a sign that someone has a very shallow understanding of whatever it is he happens to be discussing.[/quote]

If in it’s purest form Nihilism rejects reason, logic, and rationality then it can reject philosophy all together.

As for Existentialism, determining ones own meaning will also allow the freedom of rejecting any or all philosophies. Especially others.

“I’m tempted to believe you’re trying to sound esoteric on purpose”

Bingo. Understood by me. It makes sense to me. And no-one here has to agree with it. That would be stupid and I might be pissed off. Find your own fucking antiphilosophy, stop trying to steal mine.

Yea some are, some aren’t. I don’t really know, they might be true or I might just find out when I’m dead.

Oh through some research I found out that I’m more Agnostic Existentialist than Atheist Existentialist.

I’m just not understanding what’s so hard to comprehend here.

Make your world what it is while you’re here. Find meaning in what you want to find meaning in, prove things for yourself through your own experiences. Question what is “true”.

When you die you will come to know of the “truth”, perhaps, maybe, maybe not. But what was here and what you made truth will no longer matter. Your experiences will not matter. You will no longer exist as the Existentialist that you once were. You’re now Nihilist with no meaning but the one that you once had.

End’s justify means correct?

I guess I’m partial to Consequentialism as well.

Haha gotta love it. Come on take a little ride with me.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
IvanDmitritch wrote:
meangenes wrote:

Yikes! I’m not trying to talk shit but much of what you’ve written , meangenes, reads very disjointed. You haven’t well defined your terms – which should be your first step in any discussion about philosophy. I’m tempted to believe you’re trying to sound esoteric on purpose – which is usually a sign that someone has a very shallow understanding of whatever it is he happens to be discussing.

If in it’s purest form Nihilism rejects reason, logic, and rationality then it can reject philosophy all together.

As for Existentialism, determining ones own meaning will also allow the freedom of rejecting any or all philosophies. Especially others.

Bingo. Understood by me. It makes sense to me. And no-one here has to agree with it. That would be stupid and I might be pissed off. Find your own fucking antiphilosophy, stop trying to steal mine.

The direction of the above post – epistemology – is a good place to start if you’re going to have a discussion about philosophy. If you don’t mind, can you explain what your epistemological position is? I ask because by using the subjectivity of perceived color as an example of the impossibility of “truth,” I’m left wondering how you define the term. Do you believe there are truths that are so for everyone? or are all “truths” subjective?

Yea some are, some aren’t. I don’t really know, they might be true or I might just find out when I’m dead.

Oh through some research I found out that I’m more Agnostic Existentialist than Atheist Existentialist.[/quote]

Why would you post a thread to discuss our beliefs on nihilism/fight club if you don’t even want to state your beliefs in a non-esoteric way?

I think I’ll create my own secret language, post a thread about Coca-Cola using that language, and get pissed off when people don’t understand what I’m saying.

[quote]Acebgd12 wrote:
meangenes wrote:
IvanDmitritch wrote:
meangenes wrote:

Oh through some research I found out that I’m more Agnostic Existentialist than Atheist Existentialist.

Why would you post a thread to discuss our beliefs on nihilism/fight club if you don’t even want to state your beliefs in a non-esoteric way?

I think I’ll create my own secret language, post a thread about Coca-Cola using that language, and get pissed off when people don’t understand what I’m saying.[/quote]

Jheuroewhfnegforghjlkrnfg. Bwefhuf heflfnwejf wjkenfwefn. Pefwnf kefw ppflgher!

[quote]meangenes wrote:
IvanDmitritch wrote:
meangenes wrote:

[/quote]

Lol…I get ya now! You’re just fucking with everyone; I’ve got to admit, you had me going for a while!

Who said I was mad. I’m not mad at all. I don’t have anything to be mad about. I am staunchly expressing my philosophy on life. I have a right, don’t like it? We can agree to disagree, or disagree to agree.

You’re an individual. I respect that. I think?

And in reference to your post. I’m the only one expressing beliefs, I’ve expressed mine. What more can you say? You don’t agree? Don’t understand? What have you. Cool. Not my problem. Take that up with yourself.

I wish I could offer you all the guidance you seek from me kid but I can’t. You can lead a horse to water.

My turn. What’s your purpose on this planet? Do you have a philosophy similar. Does anyone? Or does everyone just question philosophy? Skepticism is great too. I like em’ all they equally make just as much sense as the rest. Haha, What assholes. You guys are great. I mean that in a completely non-offensive manner. Assholes.

Besides all that, I offered advice to a kid about a situation in which he felt life was not working in his favor, to the point that he wanted to assume violence as a means of acceptable expression.

The perspective I offered was of a Nihilist extremist, not only that but I told him to amend it so that it might work for him. Just so happens that they fight to get a sense of heightened consciousness. So it pertained to his post.

I received “Oh Durden’s philosophy, Nihilism is bullshit.”

Good, that’s good that you can recognize most religions, philosophy, media and “sciences” as bullshit. Unless of course you have lived it for yourself.

As I said, I have scouted many religions, philosophies and “perspectives” on life. Enough to know that most of what you think you know is something that you will either forget, adapt, or outright reject as you experience more.

Anyhow. Durden’s philosophy works well, especially with the point that the movie tries to convey. The whole idea that one can ‘kill’ his doubt once fed up with the in and outs of someone else’s ideals. Pretty much awesome.

I told the kid to make his own idea’s by experiencing a new philosophy that was radically different from his own. It did nothing but contrast his doubts of wanting to fight the other kid. Contrast is a great thing. I strongly recommend it for all of you. Entertain different ideas. It’ll make you a better person.

Give me a new idea to entertain, if you dare. I’m tired of entertaining you with mine now.

“It’s only after we have lost everything, that we are free to do anything” - Tyler Durden

We are all stupider for being a part of this.

[quote]BabyBuster wrote:
We are all stupider for being a part of this.[/quote]

It shows.

you didn’t answer my question… are u currently or were u on some drug during these posts?