New Rice Cooker

Okay, so it isn’t rocket science or some new revolutionary breakthrough, but I’m pretty happy about my rice cooker.

Do I hear a “so what”?

So, this thing is awesome, convenient and let’s me stock up on incredibly cheap food with a minimum of effort. I went for the fancy model with an LCD timer control, stay warm mode and a huge cooking pot.

Along with the new cooker is a nice 20lb sack of long grain brown rice. I throw in the rice, throw in the water, shut the lid and press go. The thing will beep at me once to let me know it’s done. It will keep the rice hot for up to an hour and a half if I get a bit absent minded.

Hahahaha. It’s smarter than I am! Hmm, maybe I shouldn’t have admitted that part.

Anyway, the beauty of it is that for a few measly dollars and almost zero effort I’ve got a stack of single meal/serving containers of rice sitting in my fridge. Apparently they can last about a week, but if I make too much I can just freeze it instead.

The part I like best though is eating the stuff! It’s simple, fast, and good for you as long as carb meals are in your eating plan.

A sample meal… fry up some onions in butter, shred a bit of deli shaved ham, toss the ham in with the cooked onions. Throw a couple eggs into the mix, perhaps a dash of milk, stirring everything up. When the eggs are nearly done dump in the rice and mix well.

Change the veggies, change the meat, add more eggs, leave out the eggs, dump in some pasta sauce, or toss in a can of soup. Use up every leftover in the house, spice to taste, heat and serve in five minutes… cheap, cheap!

Anyhow, just wanted to give an example of something you can do to make it easier to prep a large amount of convenient quick serve foods.

Any automated kitchen appliance, such as a crockpot cooking away overnight while you sleep, really helps take the effort out of making food. They save you time and depending on what you cook can save your money too.

As a closing note, anyone care to share some favorite rice recipes?

[quote]vroom wrote:

Anyway, the beauty of it is that for a few measly dollars and almost zero effort I’ve got a stack of single meal/serving containers of rice sitting in my fridge. Apparently they can last about a week, but if I make too much I can just freeze it instead.
[/quote]

That is NOT a good idea to keep the rice sitting around in the fridge.

I am not 100% sure but I believe that is a very good way to end up with food poisoning - something peculiar about rice.

If someone can add more they are welcome to.

The cooker is a great idea though, most restraunts use them.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
vroom wrote:

That is NOT a good idea to keep the rice sitting around in the fridge.

I am not 100% sure but I believe that is a very good way to end up with food poisoning - something peculiar about rice.

If someone can add more they are welcome to.

The cooker is a great idea though, most restraunts use them. [/quote]

As long as the rice is cooked properly it is fine to keep in the fridge for a week or longer, pretty well same advice as any other type of food for keeping it. The only time I have ever seen a problem with keeping rice, is when I didnt cook it fully and it was mushy with some water still that is when it will go mouldy. But I’ve never had a problem when cook fully and removing all water from the rice.

It’s true that rice can cause problems, as with most foods, if you don’t follow proper food handling guidelines.

I looked into this aspect before I went and bought the cooker.

In particular, there is a bacteria that can be present on rice which leaves spores. These spores can survive cooking and activate later.

However, the real danger with rice is when people let it cool and sit around the kitchen. Cook it. Then eat it or put it in the fridge… don’t let it sit around for hours at room temperature. If you treat it like a meat product, assuming you know how to handle meats without poisoning yourself, then you’ll be fine.

Stored properly you’ve got about a week of storage time, unless you freeze it, then you have months.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/d/3/d3838-Peaches.jpg

Vroom,
Awesome Post! I love, love, love the rice cooker idea. I had one years ago but, never really put it to the test, I only made regular rice with it.

I have a few questions for you:
Can you make different kinds of rice with it?

Like wild rice, or even other grains like quinoa, or wheat berries?

Also, I have a ServeSafe Certification and I believe you are totally right that rice needs to be treated just like any other food, not just meat.

Cool it and put it away, spors and food born bacterias can not grow unless they have a certain amount of moisture, propper temperature, and also a certain PH.

How about this for a brown basmati rice recipe for your new rice cooker Vroom…

Don’t be turned off by the “weird” ingredients…I think it’s worth trying. I tried to adapt the recipe for a rice cooker and a MAN with just a little time for the kitchen.

If you try it let me know how it works out!

[center]Brown Rice with Peaches[/center]

Ingredients
1 cup short-grain brown rice
1 small red onion, finely diced (in a food processor)
1 medium bay leaf
3 cardamom pods
2 cups Chicken Stock

3 large fresh or frozen peaches (or 4 oz dried peaches or dried appricots if you don’t like peaches), chopped
12 fresh mint leaves, chopped lightly
Salt to taste
Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Method

1. Rinse rice in a colander for 10 minutes. Drain.
  2. Add onion, bay leaf, cardamom, rinsed rice, and chicken stock to your rice cooker pot and cook until liquid is absorbed and it dings…
  3. Let the rice sit for an extra 10 minutes just to make sure all the liquid is absobed.
  4. Fluff with a fork while tossing in the peaches, and mint and season with salt and pepper.
  5. Cover and let sit for an additional 5 minutes and then serve with your favorite protein.

**Beware this creates an amazing smell in your kitchen that may mask any other horrible odors in your home!

I’m a big fan of rice cookers, and especialy stir frys. The possabiliteies n those are endless.

Any plans for a wok?

lovely post. rice can last a couple days. food poisoning shouldn’t be a concern as long as you keep it sealed. even if you left it sitting on the table for 24 hours it’d still be edible. I have many years of experience with rice. many -_- you wouldn’t believe the limits I’ve pushed with eating old food in the past. HAHAHA.

more recipes!