Networking Events

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
I still don’t see what is wrong with an average of B’s. I have read one thousands times how real work experience is 100% better than sitting in a classroom. These career fairs to me are just students kissing ass to get a job or internship. I realize that is what it is all about, but I just do not get it. [/quote]

Frankly, a flat 3.0 (depending on the school and the major) is rather mediocre, especially so for those who have post-secondary degree aspirations. There are obviously exceptions to this but Summa Cum Laude on a resume certainly raises some eyebrows.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
This kid is in college, he does not have business cards. And if he does, that’s just strange.

Print your resume on resume paper. [/quote]

I made business cards in college, although it didn’t help at all.[/quote]

Most business people don’t even use business cards anymore. I got 250 printed for my first year out of college and a year later I still had 240 of them. The other 10 I gave to my friends.

The days of the business card rolodex are over. [/quote]

Completely false.

You realize you actually have to carry them with you in order to “use” them, right?

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
This kid is in college, he does not have business cards. And if he does, that’s just strange.

Most business people don’t even use business cards anymore. I got 250 printed for my first year out of college and a year later I still had 240 of them. The other 10 I gave to my friends.

Completely false.

You realize you actually have to carry them with you in order to “use” them, right?[/quote]

I carry them everywhere. Most of the times I’d be in contact with my client via email before I even met them, which gives them all of my contact info immediately.

It can seem real cool to hand someone a business card at a networking event but that doesn’t mean they’ll ever use it. I have a stack of other people’s business cards that I’ve collected over the years, I never use them, either.

I can see some situations where it may be advantageous to hand someone a business card at a networking event for a quick easy transfer of contact info, but if a connection was really made and business opportunity was legitimate, it will not be lost if you don’t have business cards. With the internet (LinkedIn) I can find just about anyone I meet at a networking event whether I have their business card or not.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Completely false.

You realize you actually have to carry them with you in order to “use” them, right?[/quote]
Probably not false in his business world, I already posted that in mine it is used a ton.

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
I still don’t see what is wrong with an average of B’s. I have read one thousands times how real work experience is 100% better than sitting in a classroom. These career fairs to me are just students kissing ass to get a job or internship. I realize that is what it is all about, but I just do not get it. [/quote]

Ya, except if you’re going to a career fair you likely have no experience. So your GPA is really all a recruiter has to go off of, right?

It’s only about kissing ass if that’s how you approach it. Education has its place. I’d say success is like 75% experience 25% education, assuming those are the only 2 factors (obviously they are not).

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:
Okay, I won’t put my resume. Now what are the things I need to do to stand out as a candidate for these companies?

I mean my resume is decent. All of College I worked at my dad Small business(Computer Consulting) and I did manage to get a Internship last summer at a company that was a owned by 3 pretty big tech companies (One of them was Cisco). And my department was Cloud Management essentially. I mainly did document editing.

My resume is heavily Tech oriented. I mean I do use quickbooks pretty often however at my dads company.

Also talking points, what are some topics that can help build a good personal connection with the people there? [/quote]

Go to your school’s career center and meet one on one with someone to go over your resume. I thought mine was good until I went to the career center 3-4 times and greatly improved my resume each time. [/quote]

X2

You need a resume that pops. You don’t want to be wordy; however, you do want it to show your experience well. Have at least 4 people read over it for grammatical errors. Make sure your name and contact info is easily identifiable. I make my name like 16 font (maybe 14 or 24 I can’t remember) so it stands out. Eliminate filler words as much as possible. Be direct and to the point with your descriptions. Use key words when possible like; audit, GAAP, tax, etc…These are espcially important when applying online, but will still help here.

Do you have a LinkIn account? I’d create one and add it to your resume. That way if a recruiter is interested in you he/she has a place to learn more about you.

[quote]optheta wrote:
Okay, I won’t put my resume. Now what are the things I need to do to stand out as a candidate for these companies?

I mean my resume is decent. All of College I worked at my dad Small business(Computer Consulting) and I did manage to get a Internship last summer at a company that was a owned by 3 pretty big tech companies (One of them was Cisco). And my department was Cloud Management essentially. I mainly did document editing.

My resume is heavily Tech oriented. I mean I do use quickbooks pretty often however at my dads company.

Also talking points, what are some topics that can help build a good personal connection with the people there? [/quote]

Do some research before you go on a handful of companies and make an impression on them while you’re there. Probably better to talk to 5 companies that you can make an impression on and let them know that you are honestly interested in THEIR company and not just on getting a job, than to blindly walk around to 30 companies and say “What do you do?”.

Also, if you’re interested, their will likely be other organizations there that most will not even bother with. For example, a booth was set up for the Naval Audit Service at the last one I went to. The recruiter talked to maybe 3 people all night. Being a former Marine, it fit me perfectly. I was able to speak with her for about 45 mins uninterrupted. It didn’t amount to a job, but that had more to due with timing than anything else.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Completely false.

I carry them everywhere. Most of the times I’d be in contact with my client via email before I even met them, which gives them all of my contact info immediately.

It can seem real cool to hand someone a business card at a networking event but that doesn’t mean they’ll ever use it. I have a stack of other people’s business cards that I’ve collected over the years, I never use them, either.

I can see some situations where it may be advantageous to hand someone a business card at a networking event for a quick easy transfer of contact info, but if a connection was really made and business opportunity was legitimate, it will not be lost if you don’t have business cards. With the internet (LinkedIn) I can find just about anyone I meet at a networking event whether I have their business card or not. [/quote]

Yes I just came back here to add that I don’t think they would be of much value at an event like this. You are already handing out resumes, so the business card is redundant. Ideally you would get the recruiter’s business card and then send them a follow-up email a day or two later anyhow, so they will already have all of your contact info, if they want it, in your email sig.

They are very helpful if you are in sales or consulting or other industries where you meet with clients on a regular basis though. Your case might be different, but I find them very useful.

Sorry for the tone of my post; came off worse than intended.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Completely false.

Probably not false in his business world, I already posted that in mine it is used a ton.[/quote]

I would get stared at like I had a cock hanging out of my nose if I asked a melt shop manager if he had a LinkedIn account.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Completely false.

Probably not false in his business world, I already posted that in mine it is used a ton.[/quote]

I would get stared at like I had a cock hanging out of my nose if I asked a melt shop manager if he had a LinkedIn account.[/quote]

Lol, I don’t mean to start adding a bunch of caveats and excuses, but the melt shop manager is not really a “business person” in the context we’re talking about. You may be a business person, but the melt shop manager likely does not meet the criteria.

It really is all industry specific. My interactions are almost 100% with professional types who sit on their computers on spreadsheets and email all day long. Business cards for these types are (almost) worthless.

Re: GPA

Unless you have a stellar gpa, don’t mention it.

3.0 is not stellar

3.5 pretty dang good

3.9-4.0 is stellar(on a 4.0 scale)

You are selling yourself. GPA doesn’t mean squid shit if you can’t get the job done.

I use piles of business cards

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

3.0 is not stellar

3.5 pretty dang good

You are selling yourself. GPA doesn’t mean squid shit if you can’t get the job done.

I use piles of business cards[/quote]

One last thought on GPA. Some places will not consider you if you have a 4.0 GPA unless you also show you have a life outside of your studies, ie extra curriculars. 4.0 GPA students (sterotypically) are know it alls, which can clash with supervisors/management.

My last .02 cents anyway.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Completely false.

I would get stared at like I had a cock hanging out of my nose if I asked a melt shop manager if he had a LinkedIn account.[/quote]
Most of the site managers, safety managers, HR managers etc I deal with may have Linkedin accounts but when you are standing in the middle of an Exxon or BP plant its easier to just give your business card.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

3.0 is not stellar

3.5 pretty dang good

One last thought on GPA. Some places will not consider you if you have a 4.0 GPA unless you also show you have a life outside of your studies, ie extra curriculars. 4.0 GPA students (sterotypically) are know it alls, which can clash with supervisors/management.

My last .02 cents anyway. [/quote]

<<<<<Finished grad school with s 3.96. Drank, fucked lots of women, and had a good time. Also took on some consulting work.

Good grades don’t make you smart they make you good at school. IMO

College is like a giant dog show. You’ve got bitches, runts, and everything in between. Jumping though hoops is the name of the game.

I was a headhunter, but I am currently the National Director of Recruiting for an insurance company. Previously, I recruited for two of the big four, under contract. If tnation is your goto place for career advice, you failed.

Go to to your college career center, do what they tell you to do, stop being a dipshit, repeat.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

3.0 is not stellar

3.5 pretty dang good

<<<<<Finished grad school with s 3.96. Drank, fucked lots of women, and had a good time. Also took on some consulting work.

College is like a giant dog show. You’ve got bitches, runts, and everything in between. Jumping though hoops is the name of the game.
[/quote]

In what field are you? There’s no way you can get a GPA that high in some majors without pretty large devotion to your studies.

Optheta- where in the world are you located?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Optheta- where in the world are you located?[/quote]

Orange County Area.

If anybody cares I went to the event. it went okay I know a couple of the firms that I liked weren’t hiring at least not until April/March. I did about 4-5 follow up emails on friday. No response but there was 1 firm I really really liked what they did I might pester that particular firm again later on this week if they don’t email me back.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

3.0 is not stellar

3.5 pretty dang good

[/quote]

In what field are you? There’s no way you can get a GPA that high in some majors without pretty large devotion to your studies.[/quote]

One of the sciences. I’m not going to say I didn’t study either. I studied my ass off when it was crunch time. Before each test, I would study about 4-8 hours.

School and research were my number one priority. Pussy, boozing, and having a good time were second. My intention of the post was to state you don’t have to live like a monk to make good grades.