Networking Events

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:
I really wish their was a definitive answer for GPA on the resume thing. dammit.[/quote]

I’ve never put my GPA on a resume. I did add Cum Laude to it once I gradauted, but that’t it. If employers want to know they’ll probably ask for a transcript. [/quote]

Well there you go, they know you at least had a 3.XX (whatever Cum Laude is).

The employer knows you weren’t trying to skirt the issue due to poor performance. [/quote]

Well, not really. The Cum Laude (honors) wasn’t added until after I graduated, which was after I went to all the fairs. I didn’t get hired at an accounting firm though so…take my advice for what it’s worth.

As an aside I was extremely picky about what firms I even approached during college. I wanted a job in audit and that was it. I ended up sending a ton of resumes out after I graduated though. Deloitte even gave me a scholarship, but no job :frowning: Now I’m a budget analyst go figure. Although I do help out our internal audit department quite a bit. [/quote]

I’d imagine you speak with the external auditors as well, no? I speak with budget analysts a good bit, they usually have good detailed information when the higher ups don’t know what’s going on.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Did you take either of the Big 4 positions? If so how was it?[/quote]

I did not. I went “global 6” instead due to work/life balance.

I wouldn’t list your GPA unless its required. Some majors require a 3.0 just to graduate.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
This kid is in college, he does not have business cards. And if he does, that’s just strange.

Print your resume on resume paper. [/quote]

I made business cards in college, although it didn’t help at all.[/quote]

Most business people don’t even use business cards anymore. I got 250 printed for my first year out of college and a year later I still had 240 of them. The other 10 I gave to my friends.

The days of the business card rolodex are over. [/quote]
I would say that is dependent on what kind of business.

I am on box 4 after 4 years at this job.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:
I really wish their was a definitive answer for GPA on the resume thing. dammit.[/quote]

I’ve never put my GPA on a resume. I did add Cum Laude to it once I gradauted, but that’t it. If employers want to know they’ll probably ask for a transcript. [/quote]

Well there you go, they know you at least had a 3.XX (whatever Cum Laude is).

The employer knows you weren’t trying to skirt the issue due to poor performance. [/quote]

Well, not really. The Cum Laude (honors) wasn’t added until after I graduated, which was after I went to all the fairs. I didn’t get hired at an accounting firm though so…take my advice for what it’s worth.

As an aside I was extremely picky about what firms I even approached during college. I wanted a job in audit and that was it. I ended up sending a ton of resumes out after I graduated though. Deloitte even gave me a scholarship, but no job :frowning: Now I’m a budget analyst go figure. Although I do help out our internal audit department quite a bit. [/quote]

I’d imagine you speak with the external auditors as well, no? I speak with budget analysts a good bit, they usually have good detailed information when the higher ups don’t know what’s going on. [/quote]

I haven’t had the pleasure yet, but I’m sure I will. We definitely keep detailed records that’s for sure.

This won’t be in time to help with this one but do yourself a favour and read The Mystery Method, typically it’s used by pick up artists (PUA) to pick up girls but the initial stages of opening sets and getting to the hook point as well as things like social proofing are invaluable at networking events. You just don’t go through with the whole pick up part (unless of course there’s a hot girl you want).

It takes some practice but if you’re not already good at that sort of thing it gives you step by step instructions on how to become good at it and make it work.

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
My GPA is like a 3.3, I don’t understand how a 3.0 is bad. Most people I know are below that, anyways, just wanted to put that out there. I am an accounting major but I haven’t been to one of these yet either, good luck man!! [/quote]

It’s not “bad” per say. But certainly not good or excellent.

Okay, I won’t put my resume. Now what are the things I need to do to stand out as a candidate for these companies?

I mean my resume is decent. All of College I worked at my dad Small business(Computer Consulting) and I did manage to get a Internship last summer at a company that was a owned by 3 pretty big tech companies (One of them was Cisco). And my department was Cloud Management essentially. I mainly did document editing.

My resume is heavily Tech oriented. I mean I do use quickbooks pretty often however at my dads company.

Also talking points, what are some topics that can help build a good personal connection with the people there?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I did not. I went “global 6” instead due to work/life balance. [/quote]

Global 6? I’ve never heard the term. May I ask who the six firms are?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Global 6? I’ve never heard the term. May I ask who the six firms are? [/quote]

It’s a crap term. It’s the term made up by the 2 next largest accounting firms outside of big 4 that they hoped would catch on so everyone would consider them on equal footing with the big 4. Apparently it hasn’t caught on, haha.

It’s the big 4, plus the next 2 largest (which aren’t even half the size of the big 4, if I recall correctly).

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Global 6? I’ve never heard the term. May I ask who the six firms are? [/quote]

It’s a crap term. It’s the term made up by the 2 next largest accounting firms outside of big 4 that they hoped would catch on so everyone would consider them on equal footing with the big 4. Apparently it hasn’t caught on, haha.

It’s the big 4, plus the next 2 largest (which aren’t even half the size of the big 4, if I recall correctly). [/quote]

Ahh gotcha.

[quote]optheta wrote:

Also talking points, what are some topics that can help build a good personal connection with the people there? [/quote]
That would be reading people and then engaging them in things they like to talk about.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

Also talking points, what are some topics that can help build a good personal connection with the people there? [/quote]
That would be reading people and then engaging them in things they like to talk about. [/quote]

Derek hires people who like to talk about the Cowboys, Salma Hayek, and funny GIFs.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
This kid is in college, he does not have business cards. And if he does, that’s just strange.

Most business people don’t even use business cards anymore. I got 250 printed for my first year out of college and a year later I still had 240 of them. The other 10 I gave to my friends.

The days of the business card rolodex are over. [/quote]

Free lunch raffles

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

That would be reading people and then engaging them in things they like to talk about. [/quote]

Derek hires people who like to talk about the Cowboys, Salma Hayek, and funny GIFs. [/quote]
Fucking right.

Sadly you know how many people DO NOT bring up the fact I have a UT longhorns poster, Dallas cowboys stuff and a Jack Daniels poster in my office. Plus pictures of the wife and kids.

Face palm

I still don’t see what is wrong with an average of B’s. I have read one thousands times how real work experience is 100% better than sitting in a classroom. These career fairs to me are just students kissing ass to get a job or internship. I realize that is what it is all about, but I just do not get it.

It is a seriously good time to work on an elevator pitch. You have a finite amount of time to gain someones interest and make them remember you at these things, even more so with big employers. Having an inside line by virtue of knowing the recruiters is key.

Get their attention, and hold it. This would be a mixture of knowledge about the company and industry, as well as personal charm.

You need to

1. research WHICH firms you want to talk to so you are not wasting your time, and know their industry, competition, and other things
  2. Think about 1) and consider a problem they currently face and how to address it, or at least discuss the problem and how it relates to an accounting perspective.
  3. do not ask about the company in vague terms, or what they do. You should know that already. See 1 and 2.
  4. It is about THEM, not you. You say what you can do for them, not “why E and Y would be a good fit for ME”.
    For example “my analytical skills were developed throughout college while working in small business transactions and accounting in the technology industry”
  5. Regarding number one above, this is a pretty easy way to sell your skills… tech company financials are a major topic in accounting at the present moment in areas such as revenue recognition and realization. Think about services like the cloud computing that you mentioned…do they sell a package of software with hardware and how do you account for that sale? You can leverage this.
  6. Dig for a few examples of S.T.A.R stories. These are essentially behavioral question answers for interviews, but you A) may get an interview on the spot or B) use one or more of these stories in your hook while conversing with recruiters.

FWIW, I am not an accountant, but I am an MBA student.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Maybe it’s different in accounting, but if you brought business cards to my interview straight out of college, you just failed to make it to the next round.

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
I still don’t see what is wrong with an average of B’s. I have read one thousands times how real work experience is 100% better than sitting in a classroom. These career fairs to me are just students kissing ass to get a job or internship. I realize that is what it is all about, but I just do not get it. [/quote]

You know I realize that these Networking events are crap shoot I’ve been to this event 2 times before and gotten nothing. But its like what am I going to be doing at home? And I don’t have a good answer so I figure I might as well try lol.

[quote]optheta wrote:
Okay, I won’t put my resume. Now what are the things I need to do to stand out as a candidate for these companies?

I mean my resume is decent. All of College I worked at my dad Small business(Computer Consulting) and I did manage to get a Internship last summer at a company that was a owned by 3 pretty big tech companies (One of them was Cisco). And my department was Cloud Management essentially. I mainly did document editing.

My resume is heavily Tech oriented. I mean I do use quickbooks pretty often however at my dads company.

Go to your school’s career center and meet one on one with someone to go over your resume. I thought mine was good until I went to the career center 3-4 times and greatly improved my resume each time.