Need Some Quality Fat Ideas...

I need some ideas for quality fats. I already have EVOO, Coconut Oil, Avocado, Eggs, Walnuts. Other ideas, besides Peanut butter?

Other nuts (almonds, cashews) and other nut butters (almond butter, cashew butter), macadamia oil and avocado oil are great too

almonds. i throw some in a pan with a little bit of butter or coconut oil and sprinkle salt, cinnamon and brown sugar on them. tastes amazing. toast them for 6-8 minutes.

wow that sounds delicious…

also, for those of you that use flaxseed oil, what brand do you use, and where do you get it?

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
wow that sounds delicious…

also, for those of you that use flaxseed oil, what brand do you use, and where do you get it? [/quote]

I’ve read in most cases flaxseed oil is already rancid before you buy it.

I would recommend buy whole flaxseed and grinding it yourself in a coffee grinder. Good fibre source too.

yah, I take about 2 Tbls of flax seed that I grind each morning. Was considering adding in flax oil, but if it’s rancid, then nm.

I use grass pastured butter, evoo, coconut oil, avocado oil, ground flax seeds + lots of eggs, whole milk yogurt, meat and fish. I’m interested in checking out safflower oil for high temp. cooking, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

coconut oil can be used for high temp cooking, it doesn’t break down

How about sesame oil?

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
coconut oil can be used for high temp cooking, it doesn’t break down[/quote]

It can, and I use it for things like stir frys all the time. It does however have that distinctly coconut flavor that doesn’t go so well with some dishes. I’d like to find an oil with a high smoke point and neutral flavor.

I would not go hog wild on nuts. In small quantities they are fine, but they contain phytic acid which is an anti-nutrient. If you are going to eat them, roasting them helps eliminate this, but sprouting is even better (just soak over night). They are really hard on your digestion in large quantities.
http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/1893-living-with-phytic-acid.html

I would mostly stay away from nut oils, except for macadamia nut oil, which is largely monounsaturated. The other nut oils have too much polyunsaturated oils. BTW, you can get good macadamia nut oil for relatively cheap at some of the soapmaking websites. Yes, it’s food grade.

Besides butter and Coconut oil, I would suggest making smoothies or curries with coconut milk. If you drink a typical 14 ounce can, you’ll get 420 calories and 14 grams of fat, 12 grams of which are saturated! Good stuff. You might also consider using red palm oil. It’s got a nicd dose of naturally occurring E toctrienols in it.