Need Some Help

Im am currently on a 4 day split and wanted some advice on abs and calves. I try my best to train instinctively so my workouts are always a little different depending on what im lacking or want to improve. I currently do 15 sets for workout (mostly compound exercises and little isolation) and what I’m really lacking is my calves and want to hit them more than I currently am.

As of right now im working them twice a week and for my abs I hit them once a week. I understand less is more and don’t want to overtrain, but I was wondering what everybodys thoughts are as far as increasing sets to add some calf and abs to the end of my workout. I’ll post my current routine below. Thanks in advanced!

Monday: chest, shoulders, triceps 15 sets Tuesday: off or cardio Wednesday: back, traps, biceps 15 sets Thursday: off or cardio Friday: abs and what ever needs work 15 sets Saturday: off or cardio Sunday: legs and calves 15 sets

Additional info: im on a 40/40/20 split for cutting and my goals are to become bigger, stronger, and leaner per transformation each year.

I’d like to help, but really you are training in a way that is the complete opposite of what I do and recommend. For example:

1. I recommend training 6 days a week, 7 if possible
  2. I recommend AGAINST cardio
  3. I focus on very low reps for many sets
  4. I use very few movements, maybe 5 or 6 in a whole training week and 1-2 per session
  5. I’ve never done a single set of calves work in my life and have never included in any program I design
  6. I focus on using high performance training to build a solid physique
  7. I focus on lifts, not individual muscles
  8. I train abs in blitz cycles: training them everyday for 3-4 weeks, then not at all for 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the reply christian, and yes it sounds like I am doing the exact opposite. wouldn’t I be over training by going 7 days a week? when you say few movements maybe 5 or 6 are you referring to sets? ill post what I am currently doing below in detail.

aside from cardio:

Chest, shoulder, triceps: (Monday)

Dumbbell press 3 x 8-12 reps
Machine fly 3 x 8-12 reps
Dumbbell shoulder press 3 x 8-12 reps
Dumbell Lateral raises 3 x 8-15 reps
Weighted dips 3 x to failure

Back, traps, biceps: (Wednesday)

Deadlift: 3 x 10-15 reps
Weighted Pull UPS: 3 x to failure
Chin ups 2 x to failure
Dumbell Shrugs 3 x 12-15 reps
Rear delt flys 1 x to failure
Preacher curl 3 x 8- 12 reps

Abs and calves (Friday)

Single leg calf raises 1 x 15-20 reps (each leg)
Seated calf raise 5 x 15-20 reps
Abdominal machine 3 x 15-20 reps
Weighted leg raises 3 x 15-20 reps
Obiques 3 x 40 reps

Legs and calves: (Sunday)

Back squat 4 x 15-20 reps
Romanian Deadlift 4 x 15-20 reps
Calf raises 3 x 15-20 reps
Seated calf raises 4 x 15-20 reps

[quote]lwodt860 wrote:
Thanks for the reply christian, and yes it sounds like I am doing the exact opposite. wouldn’t I be over training by going 7 days a week? when you say few movements maybe 5 or 6 are you referring to sets? ill post what I am currently doing below in detail.

aside from cardio:

Chest, shoulder, triceps: (Monday)

Dumbbell press 3 x 8-12 reps
Machine fly 3 x 8-12 reps
Dumbbell shoulder press 3 x 8-12 reps
Dumbell Lateral raises 3 x 8-15 reps
Weighted dips 3 x to failure

Back, traps, biceps: (Wednesday)

Deadlift: 3 x 10-15 reps
Weighted Pull UPS: 3 x to failure
Chin ups 2 x to failure
Dumbell Shrugs 3 x 12-15 reps
Rear delt flys 1 x to failure
Preacher curl 3 x 8- 12 reps

Abs and calves (Friday)

Single leg calf raises 1 x 15-20 reps (each leg)
Seated calf raise 5 x 15-20 reps
Abdominal machine 3 x 15-20 reps
Weighted leg raises 3 x 15-20 reps
Obiques 3 x 40 reps

Legs and calves: (Sunday)

Back squat 4 x 15-20 reps
Romanian Deadlift 4 x 15-20 reps
Calf raises 3 x 15-20 reps
Seated calf raises 4 x 15-20 reps [/quote]

Few movements means 1-2 exercises per session and a total of 5-6 movements during the week. I will not comment on your program because it is too far away from my own training style. It would be like asking Wayne Gretzky to comment on Bill Belichick game plan!

See, for about 16 exercises you have, there are 2 that I would personally consider using. Most of my workload is between 1 and 6 reps and the sets of 4-6 reps are normally in the form of clusters.

I only use 1-2 (3 at the most) exercises per session and do between 12 and 20 sets on a main exercise and 4-6 on a secondary one (if I do one).

I do not train muscles, I train movements. I focus on heavy lifting and explosiveness. I VERY rarely use isolation exercises.

Each muscle group is stimulated 2-3 times a week.

So there is not one thing you are doing that I can relate to. I cannot comment on something that I would never do myself or have clients do, it’s not a training style that I like or find effective.

Some advanced guys in the Bigger, Stronger Leaner forum might better be able to help you since there are a few there who practice this style of training.