My PUSHUP Routine

[quote]ZEB wrote:
She practiced everyday faithfully and became quite good and didn’t want to give it up.

I suggested she practice three days per week.

You know what happened!

No more pain in those two knuckles.
[/quote]
Which would actually support my idea of doing pushups every day. Doing something more can actually make you LESS prone to repetative injury. BTW, I happen to play the piano myself.

Ok, and in a given example, I would compare heavy benching to running, and pushups to walking. See my point?

You miss my point. If the concept is that using a muscle repetitavly in general would cause injury, then comman activaties like chewing would constantly cause cramps.

BTW, babies are not born with the abilaty to walk or chew for example. HOWEVER, after years of doing it, it becomes second nature. It is more then just the way a muscle was designed to function. Some people hold records for thing like sprinting on their hand for 50 yards, or climbing 20-50 flights of stairs just walking on their hands.

Anyways, my point is that their are general princaple’s that can be applied to most, if not all muscles across the board.

Of course, the injuries occur not from the actual moving muscles through a full range of motion or constant use, but keeping a muscle stiff constantly tightend position (the wrists) for 8 hours strait. Other wise, how come her “wrists” got problems, but not her Fingers, Forearms, Palms, and Knuckles?

Many people who got wrist injuries from standerard keyboards and could not type for 8 hours a day, have switch to erganomic keyboards and can, you guess it, go back to typing for 8 hours a day with nary a problem for the rest of their lives.

Yes, you can do endurance trainging wrong, but you can do it right. If carpral tunnel was cause simply from “typing” for eight hours a day, then I could see your point. But it is typing at and angle that causes the problem. Thousands of people have switched to erganomic keyboards and it fixed their problems right up. Or atleast preventead themselves from getting it to begin with.

As for me using what one might consider silly examples such as chewing, I consider it equally silly to bring up something like carpral tunnel. Which would only apply here if said poster wanted to “hold” a pushup for 4-8 hours strait, in a posistion that wasn’t natural to the range of motion , like trying to point his elbows up and forward near his head instead of down and back toward his lats.

No, I am giving examples of one type of repetative motion that “can” cause injuries, and then list one that “won’t”.

For example, I have injured my elbow from weight lifting, but never from just using my arms for eating. Eating is something I do very frequantly btw. The simple act of lifting a cereal bowl I seriously doubt would carry over negativley into my older years.

Again, I bring up the example of the calves. One calf at any given moment is supporting 4 times the weight that only one of your arms and chest will be supporting in a pushup. If I weight 200. Walking will have 200 lbs and each calf one at a time, doing pushups, my arms support only half my weight, and then it is distributed equally between each arm, so that is like 50 lbs a peice per left or right side.

If the idea of pumping out 20 pushups every 2 hours or 100 every day would cause an injury, then surely our calves would be torn up shortly after we learn how to walk.

And don’t give me the speach about how a muscle is designed, it is also about

How you train/use a muscle, and that all muscles follow the same basic princables.

I have a brother who sands wood all day. He could do it 8 hours a day for 5 days a week untill he turns 60 and NEVER have one repetative motion injury. If anything it his made his grip a great deal stronger and actullay made him “less” prone to injury.

BTW, in some of my above what you think were “silly” examples, here is why. You went on and on about

"tell my, why pushups, why would I get motion injury from Curls, presses, Deadlifts, Squats, etc…

But why not pushups, what is it that makes pushups so special and magical, what tell me please"

Like I said, it is not the exercise, it is that loading paramaters. You do in fact do curls every day, when ever you pick something up. The differense is lets say, 30-50 lb dumbells in the gym vs a lot of 1-10 lb objects in every day life.

Like how doing repetative piano motions actually “fixed” your daughters problem instead of making it worse?

Yes, I do understand that pushing yourself in some regards will cause injuries. But I am also making the case that their are several things we do EVERY day can never take a day off from. Walking would be a good example.

Yep, maybe make my tougher and stronger instead of weaker and more prone to injury.

I have heard of 50-60 year olds who can squat like 500 lbs.

Abnormal? Yes, but entirley possable.

Yes Yes, but we are talking about pushups, which is by almost all means a simple and meger exrcise. Is it being aplicable to this scenerio? How did they injur themselves?.

Totaly ignoring my point. I listed about half a dozen things, that people do on a daily basis, EVERY day, day in day out, every day of their life, and never get injuries from. Every day, some times every hour, without a days rest.

I could argue that walking is more challanging on the body then pushups. When walking, your supporting a lot more weight, and you have to do a LOT more to balance yourself with regards to stbalizer muscles (support from 2 limbs vs 4 limbs).

Yet walking is something we do every day of our lives.

Pushups only challange us cause most people don’t do them every day. If I could do say 200 pusups in a row, then the amount of stress I would cause by doing so 20-30 reps here and their would be highly unlikley to cause any sort of injury.

Yes, the body needs rest, but lets define rest. You can’t do an exercise constantly granted, you need to let a muscle rest, but how long? 1 hour, 5 hours, 1 day, 1 week?

I could do deadlifts but need to rest a week. I could eat a bowl of cereal and need to rest for 10 seconds.

Lets say for sake of example it’s 3 hours, then you could do pushups every 4 hours and never have a problem.

You can train to failure in a set and not be able to do another rep, but if you rest for 5 minutes, you’d be able to do that same set again, after just 5 minutes of rest.

[quote]HailMary wrote:
One question about this Navy Seal routine for those of you who understand it.

Does this mean on ODD days do 200 reps in as short a time as possible? I understand that I’m supposed to do a series of max sets. But is this like do 40, rest a few mins, do another 40, rest a few mins, do another 40, rest a few, etc…Or does this mean to do max sets spread out throughout the day?[/quote]

It means do them as close together as possible. So, do a max set (40) then rest a minute or two and do another, repeat.

On your even day, do them throughout the day. Some in the morning, some at lunch, some after work and finish before going to sleep or however you want to spread them out.

[quote]BowFlexFan wrote:
ZEB wrote:
She practiced everyday faithfully and became quite good and didn’t want to give it up.

I suggested she practice three days per week.

You know what happened!

No more pain in those two knuckles.

Which would actually support my idea of doing pushups every day. Doing something more can actually make you LESS prone to repetative injury. BTW, I happen to play the piano myself.

I’m not sure that anyone has experienced repetive stress injuries from walking. Although I’m sure if I dug up some info on google we might come up with some.

However, we do know that those who run everyday do experience problems …eventually.

Ok, and in a given example, I would compare heavy benching to running, and pushups to walking. See my point?

Using jaw muscles for eating

Um…I’m going to forget you mentioned these two things. I’m sure that you know that these tasks are essential and the muscles involved are built to take everyday use…Breathing…lol

You miss my point. If the concept is that using a muscle repetitavly in general would cause injury, then comman activaties like chewing would constantly cause cramps.

BTW, babies are not born with the abilaty to walk or chew for example. HOWEVER, after years of doing it, it becomes second nature. It is more then just the way a muscle was designed to function. Some people hold records for thing like sprinting on their hand for 50 yards, or climbing 20-50 flights of stairs just walking on their hands.

Anyways, my point is that their are general princaple’s that can be applied to most, if not all muscles across the board.

Another example is my sister in law who enters volumes of computer data daily. She now has repetitive stress injuries to both wrists because of this.

I guess we were not meant to sit at a computer key board and enter data for 8 hrs per day. Just a tad different than…breathing… :slight_smile:

Of course, the injuries occur not from the actual moving muscles through a full range of motion or constant use, but keeping a muscle stiff constantly tightend position (the wrists) for 8 hours strait. Other wise, how come her “wrists” got problems, but not her Fingers, Forearms, Palms, and Knuckles?

Many people who got wrist injuries from standerard keyboards and could not type for 8 hours a day, have switch to erganomic keyboards and can, you guess it, go back to typing for 8 hours a day with nary a problem for the rest of their lives.

Yes, you can do endurance trainging wrong, but you can do it right. If carpral tunnel was cause simply from “typing” for eight hours a day, then I could see your point. But it is typing at and angle that causes the problem. Thousands of people have switched to erganomic keyboards and it fixed their problems right up. Or atleast preventead themselves from getting it to begin with.

As for me using what one might consider silly examples such as chewing, I consider it equally silly to bring up something like carpral tunnel. Which would only apply here if said poster wanted to “hold” a pushup for 4-8 hours strait, in a posistion that wasn’t natural to the range of motion , like trying to point his elbows up and forward near his head instead of down and back toward his lats.

Again, you are mentioning only one way to become injured…there are others.

No, I am giving examples of one type of repetative motion that “can” cause injuries, and then list one that “won’t”.

For example, I have injured my elbow from weight lifting, but never from just using my arms for eating. Eating is something I do very frequantly btw. The simple act of lifting a cereal bowl I seriously doubt would carry over negativley into my older years.

But if you do those reps day in and day out, you increase your chances of injury. Don’t think because it’s bodyweight that this somehow magically prtects you. If you think that you will be in for the shock of your life someday.

Again, I bring up the example of the calves. One calf at any given moment is supporting 4 times the weight that only one of your arms and chest will be supporting in a pushup. If I weight 200. Walking will have 200 lbs and each calf one at a time, doing pushups, my arms support only half my weight, and then it is distributed equally between each arm, so that is like 50 lbs a peice per left or right side.

If the idea of pumping out 20 pushups every 2 hours or 100 every day would cause an injury, then surely our calves would be torn up shortly after we learn how to walk.

And don’t give me the speach about how a muscle is designed, it is also about

How you train/use a muscle, and that all muscles follow the same basic princables.

I have a brother who sands wood all day. He could do it 8 hours a day for 5 days a week untill he turns 60 and NEVER have one repetative motion injury. If anything it his made his grip a great deal stronger and actullay made him “less” prone to injury.

BTW, in some of my above what you think were “silly” examples, here is why. You went on and on about

"tell my, why pushups, why would I get motion injury from Curls, presses, Deadlifts, Squats, etc…

But why not pushups, what is it that makes pushups so special and magical, what tell me please"

Like I said, it is not the exercise, it is that loading paramaters. You do in fact do curls every day, when ever you pick something up. The differense is lets say, 30-50 lb dumbells in the gym vs a lot of 1-10 lb objects in every day life.

Agreed, but that does not mean that you can do that work, as in the same movement repeatedly each day, day in and day out with no chance of injury. The more you do without a break the higher the chance of injury.

Like how doing repetative piano motions actually “fixed” your daughters problem instead of making it worse?

Yes, I do understand that pushing yourself in some regards will cause injuries. But I am also making the case that their are several things we do EVERY day can never take a day off from. Walking would be a good example.

And you are what? Maybe in your 20’s?

I hate to break this to you but whatever you do now will effect you in some way 20 years from now.

Yep, maybe make my tougher and stronger instead of weaker and more prone to injury.

I have heard of 50-60 year olds who can squat like 500 lbs.

Abnormal? Yes, but entirley possable.

That is not so say that you should do nothing, obviously. But you need to be smart in order to train a long time. Trust me, I’ve actually lived the experiment. Many of my friends who trained wrong 30 years ago, are now in very bad shape relative to their joint health.

Yes Yes, but we are talking about pushups, which is by almost all means a simple and meger exrcise. Is it being aplicable to this scenerio? How did they injur themselves?.

Um…you really are not understand this are you?

The exact same challenging motion (or not so challenging in some cases) performed every day, day in and day out WILL cause long term damage in many subjects.

Totaly ignoring my point. I listed about half a dozen things, that people do on a daily basis, EVERY day, day in day out, every day of their life, and never get injuries from. Every day, some times every hour, without a days rest.

I could argue that walking is more challanging on the body then pushups. When walking, your supporting a lot more weight, and you have to do a LOT more to balance yourself with regards to stbalizer muscles (support from 2 limbs vs 4 limbs).

Yet walking is something we do every day of our lives.

Pushups only challange us cause most people don’t do them every day. If I could do say 200 pusups in a row, then the amount of stress I would cause by doing so 20-30 reps here and their would be highly unlikley to cause any sort of injury.

Yes, the body needs rest, but lets define rest. You can’t do an exercise constantly granted, you need to let a muscle rest, but how long? 1 hour, 5 hours, 1 day, 1 week?

I could do deadlifts but need to rest a week. I could eat a bowl of cereal and need to rest for 10 seconds.

Lets say for sake of example it’s 3 hours, then you could do pushups every 4 hours and never have a problem.

You can train to failure in a set and not be able to do another rep, but if you rest for 5 minutes, you’d be able to do that same set again, after just 5 minutes of rest.[/quote]

I love the dicussions on this forum. They are testosterone fuled and incredibly informative.

Thanks for the responses and the help, guys!

[quote]HailMary wrote:
Thanks for the responses and the help, guys![/quote]

Let us know if you meet your goal.

Speaking of pushups, I have a question for you guys.

I’m deloading this week to recover a little bit, so all I’m doing are pushups and squats really.

I’ve read the Eric Cressey article that benching with a “bodybuilder’s form”, i.e. upper arms perpendicular to the body, is very rough on the shoulders, and this is not the first time I’ve heard that.

So if the logic is right, one should also do pushups with the arms tucked at a 45 degree angle, so as not to screw up the shoulders. How do you guys do them?