My Experience On the Anabolic Diet Part II

Made this today. It was awesome.

Cauliflower “Mashed Potatoes”

1 head of cauliflower
egg whites
low fat cheddar cheese
parmesan cheese

Steam the cauliflower. Put steamed cauliflower and egg whites in a food processor. I have a carton of egg whites, so I just eyeballed it. Blend until all solid pieces are gone. Add salt and pepper and mix in parmesan and cheddar cheese. Put in a baking dish that has been sprayed with olive oil. Top with a little bit of cheddar and bake at 375 in an oven for about 15-20 mins.

I couldn’t wait to take the picture before digging in.

[quote]nz6stringaxe wrote:
Evil, you also bring up an interesting point about calories. If you take in the same energy from different nutrients, will adipose grow (semi-rhetorical)? It’s kind of like the reverse idea of coming off a normal high-carb diet into the AD and expecting body recomposition under maintenance calories and static bodyweight.
[/quote]
May for some, may not for others, depending the individuals level of insulin sensitivity,

Well, it takes 24 hours for glycogen compensation to take place. At that time you are up at base level concentration. Extra compensation happens after that. Hence the guideline for the carb-up being at least 24 hours long.
After that, consider the digestion times and rate of glucose dispersal, glycogen synthesis and consequent its uptake into muscle. Your body is still processing the carbs even if you have stopped eating them. It takes time for this cycle to complete itself and for the muscle to be primed again.

[quote]
Second, after my competition when I accepted no physical activity for a week and simultaneously ate every junky thing I could think of, I was bursting with energy after the first few days. When I finally allowed myself back into the gym (I wish I hadn’t waited so long) the next week, I was just as strong as I felt. I shattered my PRs all over the place. Is there any knowledge-based guideline for how many carbs to ingest per lb of bodyweight at each load?[/quote]

Some go for 4gm/lb, some just go for a set amount of time. But, it’s highly individual. Depending on how intensely you are working out, goals etc.

Pumped, thank you so much for that. Where did you dig it up?

It looks like I was right to be suspicious of relegating ‘cheesecake’ to the status of the ‘ideal’ carb load meal. I’m just waiting for the cries of “The AD isn’t ketogenic!” to come through.

Everything you said makes a lot of sense. I wonder how they went about the experiment. When I read through John Berardi’s cycling supplementation experiment, I was in awe of how detailed, yet easy to understand, every element was. Kudos to him. It’s much easier to absorb and apply the results of research when you know it’s not bogus (death by protein, anyone?).

Hulk, that looks like an awesome recipe! I’ve done cauli-smash before, but the idea of putting in egg whites and cheese is worth another go! I used the Gourmet Nutrition guidelines, in which the secret ingredient is coconut milk. If the water levels are JUST RIGHT, you can get some unbelievable mashed cauliflower, with the consistency of those lame Betty Crocker instant pudding-style mashed potatoes. Plus, coconut milk is one of the most sinfully delicious things I’ve ever put in my mouth.

It looks like I was right to be suspicious of relegating ‘cheesecake’ to the status of the ‘ideal’ carb load meal. I’m just waiting for the cries of “The AD isn’t ketogenic!” to come through.

Everything you said makes a lot of sense. I wonder how they went about the experiment. When I read through John Berardi’s cycling supplementation experiment, I was in awe of how detailed, yet easy to understand, every element was. Kudos to him. It’s much easier to absorb and apply the results of research when you know it’s not bogus (death by protein, anyone?).

Hulk, that looks like an awesome recipe! I’ve done cauli-smash before, but the idea of putting in egg whites and cheese is worth another go! I used the Gourmet Nutrition guidelines, in which the secret ingredient is coconut milk. If the water levels are JUST RIGHT, you can get some unbelievable mashed cauliflower, with the consistency of those lame Betty Crocker instant pudding-style mashed potatoes. Plus, coconut milk is one of the most sinfully delicious things I’ve ever put in my mouth.[/quote]

No problem, whats funny is I actually didn’t see your post until after I posted that. I decided to look up how many grams per carb load I should have and found that which I thought was really useful so i posted it and just now saw that it directly answered your question haha.

The source is “The ketogenic diet” by lyle mcdonald. I’m pretty sure you can just google it and download it. If not I could sent you it in an email. Its really imformative.

Hulk, that looks like an awesome recipe! I’ve done cauli-smash before, but the idea of putting in egg whites and cheese is worth another go! I used the Gourmet Nutrition guidelines, in which the secret ingredient is coconut milk. If the water levels are JUST RIGHT, you can get some unbelievable mashed cauliflower, with the consistency of those lame Betty Crocker instant pudding-style mashed potatoes. Plus, coconut milk is one of the most sinfully delicious things I’ve ever put in my mouth.[/quote]

I’d be happy to chime in and say…THE AD ISNT A KETOGENIC DIET!!! now with respects to having a carb cycle for cutting lets say then that information would be pertinent, however, since this isnt just a cycle, but a lifestyle, I believe things have to be different once this way of eating is prolonged for not just a a 3-4 week rotation but for months at a time. Im gonna trust Dr. D and all the Vets with the results they got from following the guidelines. The original thread is the biggest thread, still I believe, for a reason

hey fellas, looking for a little bit of guidance from a few of you Vets, Ive currently started the Anabolic diet about 2 months ago, i believe im fallowing protocal fairly stricked, the issue is i dont seem to be dropping the fat as fast as i think i should be, like i say im extremely strict on the low carb days, then unleash during the weekend. which leads me to look back at the begining of the when i started the diet.

for approx 8 days i went with low carbs, on the 8th day had a great work out then felt deathly ill emediatly after, at first thought it maybe the flu but woke in the morning feel just fine, i figured this was the time my body began the shift and i carbed up right after. Did I fuck myself from the begining and should i start over?

[quote]otis23 wrote:
hey fellas, looking for a little bit of guidance from a few of you Vets, Ive currently started the Anabolic diet about 2 months ago, i believe im fallowing protcal fairly stricked, the issue is i dont seem to be dropping the fat as fast as i think i should be, like i say im extremely strict on the low carb days, then unleash during the weekend. which leads me to look back at the begining of the when i started the diet.

for approx 8 days i went with low carbs, on the 8th day had a great work out then felt deathly ill emediatly after, at first thought it maybe the flu but woke in the morning feel just fine, i figured this was the time my body began the shift and i carbed up right after. Did fuck myself from the begining and should i start over? [/quote]

I think after 2 months you should be converted regardless. Are you keeping close track of macro ratios? If you’re converted and not losing body fat, you could be taking in too much fat per day and your body doesn’t feel the need to tap your bodyfat stores.

[quote]bkmacky9288 wrote:

I’d be happy to chime in and say…THE AD ISNT A KETOGENIC DIET!!! now with respects to having a carb cycle for cutting lets say then that information would be pertinent, however, since this isnt just a cycle, but a lifestyle, I believe things have to be different once this way of eating is prolonged for not just a a 3-4 week rotation but for months at a time. Im gonna trust Dr. D and all the Vets with the results they got from following the guidelines. The original thread is the biggest thread, still I believe, for a reason[/quote]

How is it not a keto diet? It’s almost the exact same thing

[quote]pumped340 wrote:

How is it not a keto diet? It’s almost the exact same thing[/quote]

because, if you read the book, even cursorily, you will notice Dr. D specifically denounces the need for ketosis, and the disadvantages of ketosis. Then he goes onto state that in the AD you skim the surface of keto. Also, if you do feel foggy, slow etc you are advised to increase your carbs during the week. Not something Lyle or Duchaine ever said. Even Atkins doesn’t have you in Keto for extended periods.

Random checks on myself (8 months and going) have never indicated that I am in keto.

Also, They are not the same basic thing. Lyle’s keto diet came after the AD and was largely fashioned from BodyOpus, which itself is a variation of the AD. The low-carb diet have been around for a while. From Gironda’s Raw egg diet to the Bantam paper from the 1800’s.
The AD is a base plan which can be and has been optimized for specific results if using it for a cycle. But, as Bk said, its a lifestyle not a cycle.

A lifestyle indeed.

I realised almost straight away that I would be in this for the long-haul. After the initial ZOMG-I-GETS-TO-DRINK-TEH-OIL!-honeymoon period, I decided that I’ll have to make some adjustments for the sake of long-term health, not to mention results in the physique department.

It might be me being a zealous perfectionist (as it usually is) but I’m slowly trying to clean up my intake as much as possible.

• I’ve removed my morning eggs and bacon in place of flax bread and PB.

• I’ve removed all dairy products besides the ocassional piece of butter (milk allergy).

• I’m phasing out fried foods wherever possible, so poaching, boiling, steaming, blanching or eating raw.
    I very rarely fried my foods before the AD so it should be easy enough to stop again now that the novelty of daily eggs and bacon has worn off!
    The main benefit of this to my mind is that I can take my OO in raw form instead of wrecking the fats with heat.

• Now this one might just be my obsessive nature taking over but I’m attempting to keep as accurate a count as possible with my macros and general caloric intake.

A friend who started the AD at the same time as me made up a useful spreadsheet with rows for the foods of each meal and columns for each macro and calories and it auto-calculates all the totals, very handy indeed.
I spend 5-10 mins each evening planning the meals for the following day which saves a lot of time in the long-run and means that I’ve got it all nicely timed around workouts.
This is especially useful for anyone who likes to pyramid their intake on an intra- and inter-day basis.

I can upload it in .xls or .ods format for anyone who’s interested - but as I said, it could just be my obsessive nature taking over meaning I’m about to be run out of town in a hail of ridicule! haha so be it… :slight_smile:

Another thing that struck me last night was that I wasn’t counting my flax intake (49 cals/10g). I take easily 50g or more a day so alas! My calculations have been all wrong…!

hah anyway I don’t want this to turn into too long a self-absorbed rant - oh, wait… - well I thought I’d share some of my practical ideas.

The only thing I don’t like about the idea of preparing your meals on paper for the coming day is that there is no spur of the moment meal decision. Sometimes I feel like having something light so I can have something heavier later or vice versa. Quickness of the meal I’m about to prepare matters too.

I just keep a bundle of papers on my kitchen table with a pen, beginning each day with the date and writing each meal as it comes, listing the macro profiles as I know them, or saving them to be calculated by my phone (what a tool!) later. Before going to bed, I prepare my final meal and tally everything up, getting a final total for each macro and a caloric figure.

Every day since the beginning of the year…

[quote]El Sonido wrote:
A lifestyle indeed.

It might be me being a zealous perfectionist (as it usually is) but I’m slowly trying to clean up my intake as much as possible.

[/quote]

I’m not of the opinion that removing omega 3 eggs from your diet is cleaning up your diet. One of the best foods you can possibly incorporate into your diet IMO. I had PB and Flax bread for breakfast today and 6 eggs for lunch. I think either is good and rotating them could be good if you tire of a particular food easily.

Made the flax bread for the first time this weekend and I used 1 Tbsp of splenda in the recipe. Too sweet for me, I may try it with some other type of seasoning or just without but its still good.

[quote]Evil1 wrote:
pumped340 wrote:

How is it not a keto diet? It’s almost the exact same thing

because, if you read the book, even cursorily, you will notice Dr. D specifically denounces the need for ketosis, and the disadvantages of ketosis. Then he goes onto state that in the AD you skim the surface of keto. Also, if you do feel foggy, slow etc you are advised to increase your carbs during the week. Not something Lyle or Duchaine ever said. Even Atkins doesn’t have you in Keto for extended periods.

Random checks on myself (8 months and going) have never indicated that I am in keto.

Also, They are not the same basic thing. Lyle’s keto diet came after the AD and was largely fashioned from BodyOpus, which itself is a variation of the AD. The low-carb diet have been around for a while. From Gironda’s Raw egg diet to the Bantam paper from the 1800’s.
The AD is a base plan which can be and has been optimized for specific results if using it for a cycle. But, as Bk said, its a lifestyle not a cycle.
[/quote]

I do see it as more of a lifestyle than a straight up CKD because it seems slightly more lenient but not much, it’s really not that different. Nearly the exact same ratio’s during the week and a weekend carb up. As far as I know the only differences at all are that in AD you have more fat during the carb up and with a normal CKD you have more protein which I think is the better choice.

The only thing I don’t like about the idea of preparing your meals on paper for the coming day is that there is no spur of the moment meal decision. Sometimes I feel like having something light so I can have something heavier later or vice versa. Quickness of the meal I’m about to prepare matters too.

I just keep a bundle of papers on my kitchen table with a pen, beginning each day with the date and writing each meal as it comes, listing the macro profiles as I know them, or saving them to be calculated by my phone (what a tool!) later. Before going to bed, I prepare my final meal and tally everything up, getting a final total for each macro and a caloric figure.

Every day since the beginning of the year…[/quote]

I see what you mean - I do make adjustments quite often as the day progresses, this just helps me get everything in order.
I did take a similar approach to your’s last week; just adding it up more or less as I went along and reaching a final figure either after each meal or at the end of the day.
I find this approach to be a tad more relaxing but I guess it depends on how precise you want to be.
I’m memorising more and more nutritional stats as time goes on so I’ll likely be doing it in my head in no time.

I’m sure between us we all we could concern quite a few people by citing the macros for various foods.
Some stuff I’m already getting the carbs down to 0.1g accuracy hehe.

[quote]KingIndy wrote:
El Sonido wrote:
A lifestyle indeed.

I’m not of the opinion that removing omega 3 eggs from your diet is cleaning up your diet. One of the best foods you can possibly incorporate into your diet IMO. I had PB and Flax bread for breakfast today and 6 eggs for lunch. I think either is good and rotating them could be good if you tire of a particular food easily.[/quote]

Yeah I actually re-thought that for this morning’s breakfast and had boiled eggs with asparagus and spinach.
I think I’ll rotate that with the flax bread - sometimes taking the eggs raw with a little cinnamon and OO.

I stopped buying Omega-3 eggs as the damn supermarket decided to hike their prices up so I’m going for some nice ‘cheap’ salmonella-laden hen shits instead. Joy!

This is just my take on the cauliflower mash dish:

Cauli-Smashparagus!

You could season with chili powder and/or cinnamon and/or black/white pepper.
Great with butter and/or cheese I’m sure.

If making it with cheese, grate some up, stir half into the mixture and sprinkle the other half on top before grilling - you know the drill.
(Damn my milk-allergy…)

Maybe replace the asparagus with broccoli or some other similar green fibrous veggie, perhaps spinach if water content isn’t too high.

200g cauliflower
50g asparagus
10g flax meal
2 whole eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon olive oil (to drizzle on top)

1. Boil cauliflower until tender.

2. Blanch asparagus for a moment before draining with cauliflower.

3. Blend cauliflower, asparagus, egg and flax until smooth.

4. Pour in wide dish (I used a frying pan).

5. Place under grill, stir once to ensure egg is nicely cooked.

6. Grill until top is nicely browned.

7. Serve and drizzle with olive oil.

Protein ? 19g
Fat ? 13.4g + 9 from oil
Carbs (net) ? 5g
Calories ? 325 + 80 from oil

Great with pork chops!

[quote]pumped340 wrote:
Evil1 wrote:
pumped340 wrote:
I do see it as more of a lifestyle than a straight up CKD because it seems slightly more lenient but not much, it’s really not that different. Nearly the exact same ratio’s during the week and a weekend carb up.
[/quote]
you’re right it is not that different. CKD’s for a specific goal are just more, well…specific. My opinion is that the AD will let you find out what to tweak (DIY guide), while a CKD will tell you exactly what to do.

This may or may not be true in light of the new discussions on protein cycling. Also, considering the AD is protein sparing, how much muscle loss do you think would occur on a carb-day with less protein.
Additionally, CKD’s for fat loss have you in a caloric defecit during the week so you need to insure that you get enough protein all the time.

I was bumming around the old posts from 2000 and such and came across some thread that IMO may help a us.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/_anabolic_diet_supplementation

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/_gaining_on_low_carbs

FWIW

[quote]Evil1 wrote:

This may or may not be true in light of the new discussions on protein cycling.
[/quote]

protein cycling is nothing new. The effectiveness is debated though

[quote]Evil1 wrote:

This may or may not be true in light of the new discussions on protein cycling. Also, considering the AD is protein sparing, how much muscle loss do you think would occur on a carb-day with less protein.
Additionally, CKD’s for fat loss have you in a caloric defecit during the week so you need to insure that you get enough protein all the time.
[/quote]

AD for fat loss has you in a caloric deficit too so its the same thing with that. As far as “how much muscle loss do I think would occur on a carb up”, I’m sure it’s not much. That’s not the problem though. The issue is the problem of having high amounts of fat and carbs eaten at the same time. It’s not necessarily a problem as I’ve read about tons of people who it works well for but for all we know the results could have been better with less fat those days. IMO if I wanted the best results possible I would keep fat as low as possible on the carb up which seems to be the general consensus outside of the strictly AD circle

I’ll have to get to the other threads later

I was looking on that bodyrecomposition.com site earlier and saw some great things. You should all check it out, particularly the Baseline Diet (more specifically part 2).

I wanted to share something I just observed. My hunger is greater now (2200-2700cal) than it was at 1600.

I find this very perplexing.

[quote]pumped340 wrote:

AD for fat loss has you in a caloric deficit too so its the same thing with that. As far as “how much muscle loss do I think would occur on a carb up”, I’m sure it’s not much. That’s not the problem though. The issue is the problem of having high amounts of fat and carbs eaten at the same time. It’s not necessarily a problem as I’ve read about tons of people who it works well for but for all we know the results could have been better with less fat those days. IMO if I wanted the best results possible I would keep fat as low as possible on the carb up which seems to be the general consensus outside of the strictly AD circle

[/quote]

Aah, there in lies the rub.

No one says you have to add a high amount of fat or binge on donuts. You can achieve the same macro breakdown two ways:

1. A Twinkie/jelly beans etc
  2. Oats with small amount of PB & Jelly/pasta with marinara

Maybe the people who had problems with too much fat on carb days were in effect just consuming too much sugar and calories?

BTW, I am not propagating that the AD is THE plan. Like it’s been said a million times before, you gotta experiment. I like that freedom. I have done both kinds of carb-days, but now I mostly eat whats on the table but take a double serving of the starches.