Most BodyBuilders Look Like Crap

Monsters look cool as shit hulking around the gym, tossing iron around like its plywood. I have nothing but respect for those guys, and for those of you that have that going.

But I would never want it for myself. The feeling of being well-muscled but lean and athletic is intoxicating. And being able to perform in sports is extremely important to me. The fact that most women seem to prefer that look to any other is also nothing to complain about.

I have an alumni football game coming up, I am training for that, which for me is now fun because it’s an actual goal.

I am in good shape as it is, but I want to fine tune a little bit.

Plus, the science and technology behind training and eating is MUCH better than it was when I was balling in college. I went to the field to run around a bit, do some cuts, pass patterns, and cone drills to get familiar again with moving like that. Feels good not lugging around circa 50+ lbs of pure lard on me, I actually fell down a few times from the speed I now had but wasn’t used to. I liked not having fat titties bouncing around when I ran. I know gym rat kinda guys would laugh at this, but seeing a dude who is strong, jacked, and can move with a purpose is more motivating and inspirational to me than a guy posing with trunks on. Guys like Ray Lewis and Vernon Gholston are certainly admirable with their physiques, and can move so fast and explosively that it would shock most of you.

Come May 21, I will be Ray Lewis. Mother fuckers :slight_smile:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Most men will be lucky to live past 75 years of age even if they only eat lettuce all day long. I think there needs to be a reality check on both sides.

Any extreme pursuit whether it involves motorcycle racing, pro football, or hang gliding has a risk component…and those who would rather avoid all risk in order to live an extra year aren’t really living in my opinion.

The reality is, life is really fucking short so you had better make the most of any time you have left because fuck 50, you may not see tomorrow.

I agree with much of what TC wrote. I know people closely who are in the “size at all costs” mindset and one of them I actually worry about because I doubt he will last much longer and we are friends.

However, confusing that extreme with someone who wants bigger muscles than you personally deem is “acceptible” is a very large slap in the face to people who can find balance in their lives and maintain that goal as well.

Remember, ANY extreme pursuit can be viewed in those terms whether it be the med student who stays awake for 3 days straight for rounds or the NFL line-man who has trouble walking when he is 50 due to 5,000 head on collisions in his career.

Many would see those pursuits as admirable…but then degrade the guy with the big biceps?

LOL.[/quote]

I definitely agree with you on this X. One simply cannot make a sweeping statement like the article did and expect it to stick. Very few people have the dedication to become big, and I also think it’s fairly shallow to say that bigger=more problems.

I do think there are tremendous problems posed by the pursuit of a stunning physique, especially for those that are uneducated or unaware of what their doing. That holds true for almost any pursuit in life though.

I can also strongly connect with BodyGuards sentiment about putting on those shirts that are no longer stretched by massive shoulders or bulging biceps. Does it suck? Yes. Do I sometimes crave getting back to my peak weight? Yes. But I’m no longer playing collegiate sports, and no longer need to carry such mass. Will I continue to lift and eat in order to maintain an optimal physique? Always, but I will do so by staying very lean, eating healthy, and sticking to a relatively “normal” weight for my height.

Life is all about balance, finding what’s truly comfortable, and the only person who can do that for yourself is you.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Two things that strike me as hysterical is PX calling someone out for manipulating what was said to fit their arguement [honestly maybe the most ironic thing ever written on these boards] and a guy by age definition alone would be labeled “a grown man” telling another “grown man” that he looks better than him with his shirt off. The absurdity that comes off of peoples finger tips here is priceless.[/quote]

…OR you could try staying on topic for once. I don’t believe anything in this post has anything at all to do with what this thread is about.

Gee, and just when I thought the rest of the board was done with crap like that.

Back to the topic, I can completely understand the concept of changing priorities as one grows…but for those who remain on task, they should not be degraded ju7st because you decided you don’t want big arms anymore.

Now, Flash, the ball is in your court. Care to remain on topic…or as a grown man spend all of your time in this thread talking about another man?[/quote]

You seriously cannot be so dense that you don’t find the irony in that response. This is so rich you could put it on ice cream and serve it to children at birthday parties.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Um, cool, Mr Midlife Crisis. Thank you for that.

I’m sure everyone here already knows the risks involved. And like every other athlete we accept them.

I think 240 pound old men serves as a terrible example though. Obviously. Recovery abilities change and force most people out. Also the digestive reasons limit growth and maintainance of muscle. Injury over the gym career another reason.

And why woukd we look in a nursing home for pictures of what a healthy aged person is?
[/quote]

You’re being an asshole.

I didn’t say nursing home. Report back to me when you can start counting ANY elderly guys weighing much. ANY. Way to the miss the point of the post tool. Asshole.[/quote]

ahahahahahahahahaha

dude, I misquoted, yes. But the reason I pointed out remain. Old people don’t weigh that much becasue they CAN’T eat that much due to reduced digestive capacity. They means they are NOT anabolic which means…NO MUSCLE. And since they cannot fully absorb the few calories they do manage to eat…they wont recover…and are catabolic.

And as I said earlier, a gym career will put you down eventually. No one can keep up intensity needed to put on or keep size for 50 years assuming they start training at 20.

I didnt miss your point. I agree with it actually. Diversity is what my life is dedicated to.

“Don’t over do it, there are other pursuits in life.”

Um, cool, Mr Midlife Crisis. Thank you for that.

I’m sure everyone here already knows the risks involved. And like every other athlete we accept them.

I think 240 pound old men serves as a terrible example though. Obviously. Recovery abilities change and force most people out. Also the digestive reasons limit growth and maintainance of muscle. Injury over the gym career another reason.

And why woukd we look in a nursing home for pictures of what a healthy aged person is?
[/quote]

Dear Lord…I actually agree with Count Chocula.

I have many patients over the age of 65 and all I can say is, the idea of the super healthy 70 year old is so rare that I have only seen ONE patient who came in for treatment who was 76 with no health problems and on no medication.

I am not saying there aren’t many more out there, but if you really think that most peiople, bodybuilders or not, are hitting 65+ while living like they were 40 or below, you may need a wake up call.

Living to be the oldest is only good if you have kids who don’t mind wiping your ass when you can’t anymore.[/quote]

Professor X loves me everyone.

See?

Aww,X. <3

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[/quote]

I dont know if this is truly an accurate statement count, to a point we all have vanity issues. Most not all but most on this site have a goal either that be strength, BB, or strongman. When you are younger you WILL increase your risk to obtain these goals, which is not a bad thing its how we have great elite people in the world. HOWEVER some will go past the limits with negative outcomes and not really have the knowledge that what they are doing also has negative side effects. That be meds, body weight or heavy wieght lifting.

I dont think any of us old guys are trying to look down on anybody here, we are just sharing our experience so that maybe, maybe it will benifit the younger generation.

Prof X I got it man and responded. Sucks about the PSN, I have been bitching in the Geek thread. [/quote]

I see what you’re saying. And yea, I’ve had the lecture many times…

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I don’t think being huge is at all what it’s cracked up to be. Unless you have a job that requires you to be large, then I see no reason. It’s simply not worth the shit that comes with it. Feeling tired all the time, getting winded going up a flight of stairs, not fitting into jack shit of clothing, not my idea of a good life.

I have been as big as 295 and as thin as 160 within a 2 year time frame. Neither felt or looked good, and like TC pointed out with his mature and immature reasons for being lean and in-shape, BOTH make perfect sense. Am I vain? Fuck yes. Do I like being vain, hell yes! Has my stock in high quality tail gone up? Fuck yes. Does every aspect of my life get better as I get in better and leaner shape? Hell yes. Again, I cannot see why anyone would want to be massive other than for a job, so unless you are blocking some other fat fucker on Sundays, or maybe do something along the lines of what TBG does (and even then I can’t imagine you would want to be really huge for that), I don’t see the advantage.

The law of dimished returns applies to this concept as well, at some point you are so big, if you walk backwards and the sound of a dumptruck going in reverse sounds off, your ass is in trouble.

Count Rock, you will get there one day Gerber Boy, one day your nuts will descend, you might find a single hair on your ball bag, but you will see what some of us dinosaurs are talking about. Believe me I had a mouth like you when I was your age, then a dinosaur threw me under a Nautilus machine so rusty, I felt like I needed a tetanus shot after each set of that creeky ass machine. [/quote]

No No No

you didnt have a mouth like mine. My lips are much sexier than yours ever were. You should see how I lick them…

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:
Wait, what happened to “muscle is being built as fast as humanly possible”?
Why can’t we just all get big with no fat gain? Problem solved.

Regarding the old people’s issue, I would venture out to say that as their bodies are withering and decaying, they also lose their appetite.

My challenge: Find me any, ANY person over 70 that actually eats a reasonable amount of food.[/quote]

Thats one of my points

You can watch old people at resturants…they take hours to eat and they still dont finish their meal.

I’ve done a few geritology case studies and a lot of the results were the same…poor nutrition

that leads to being underweight and frail…cognitive issues…a bunch of shit.

I’ve always found that anyone with a solid base during their youth takes longer to waste away in old age…

PX- your first post is very well said, and I think that message gets lost a lot of times.

And, I must say (maybe it’s just me), but the way you wrote your replies in this thread seem to show you’ve changed the way you address people and I think that will come off better with people not being so defensive (minus the one guy calling you an idiot basically in this thread). but, I for one thing it will be more productive, unless I’m looking into it too much.

I do think TC’s article was well said as well.

Way to go TC.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
What kind of “huge” and “getting as big as they possibly can” are we talking about?

Is this involving a lot of bodyfat gain as well? [/quote]

I am sure he left that vague on purpose.

There seem to be some here who still think the rest of us are telling people to become obese.[/quote]

No. I didn’t leave it vague on purpose. I referenced the article as the context. You didn’t read it? And, are you “lean” Mr.-eat-another-hamburger and shut up? :)[/quote]

Uh, I am betting I look better than you right now with my shirt off.

I was referring to TC when I wrote vague and it was why he associated “big at all costs” with most people trying to weigh more than 250lbs.

You know what that means? You reprimanded me for talking about someone who was not you at all.

Thank you.
[/quote]

My apologies then.

It’s all opinion. Who are we to say someone shouldn’t do something because it’s bad for their health. I’d be willing to bet everyone on this site has done something that has been detrimental to their lives. Does that all of the sudden mean they are an idiot or have some kind of self help problem. Some people’s goal is to generally be a big monster. Whether or not that is my goal or anyone else’s is irrelevant what does matter though is that anyone who is truly passionate enough about something to accomplish that goal deserves respect whether you see the light they do or not.

I’ll use X as an example. He is clearly a large dude who has spent alot of years under the iron, and in the kitchen. Whether what he’s doing is going to make him live longer than being 150lbs. and shredded doesn’t change the fact that he’s dedicated so much of his time to his art. If that’s what he enjoys who am I to disrespect him, he clearly has more drive than most people. His accomplishments speak for themselves, between his physique, his career, and his willingness to help others. He gives many of us insight from someone who has been there before. He doesn’t sugarcoat things but so far most everything he’s said to me has been spot on.

Uh, I am betting I look better than you right now with my shirt off.

[/quote]

LOL don’t be so sure of that. I seen your latest pics. You look huge. Fine. But you’re not lean. I’m 240 now and lean. And no - I don’t intend to pic whore with you on this site. Aint my style. I could give a fuck about bodybuilding. But no matter who looks better without the shirt, you can stay at your weight, I’ll stay where I’m at, and we’ll see who can pull more weight. See how that works? It’s pretty fucking irrelevant.

I have no qualms with “extreme” goals or pursuits as you call it. The problem is, your theoretical advice about doing it before your 30’s notwithstanding, is that some of these habits and the body image that comes with it, become life time habits - until there is a health problem. See Dave Tate et als. There is no intelligent debate to refute my basic point; that as you get older, it’s not healthy to carry that weight - whether it’s muscle or fat, your heart works harder. Ask any cardiologist. Ask any doctor.

I was about to post a big fucking rant but I guess I’ll just let it be…

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Two things that strike me as hysterical is PX calling someone out for manipulating what was said to fit their arguement [honestly maybe the most ironic thing ever written on these boards] and a guy by age definition alone would be labeled “a grown man” telling another “grown man” that he looks better than him with his shirt off. The absurdity that comes off of peoples finger tips here is priceless.[/quote]
You’re just pissed because I look better than you with my pants off

This stood out to me, if only because I feel like TC has mentioned it before.

But I’m not sure I see it. Anyone who’s discovered this site and embarked on the journey and subsequently added too much fat along the way was some combination of nutritionally clueless, weak-minded in the gym, or simply not all that gifted genetically.

And that’s all fine, o ye of average genetics, as long as “you take what you got and run with it.” Take advantage of the wealth of training/nutrition info here and realize why the “big guys” preach what they do, and why their advice remains sound in general (even when it’s not directly applicable to you)

[quote]chillain wrote:

This stood out to me, if only because I feel like TC has mentioned it before.

But I’m not sure I see it. Anyone who’s discovered this site and embarked on the journey and subsequently added too much fat along the way was some combination of nutritionally clueless, weak-minded in the gym, or simply not all that gifted genetically.

And that’s all fine, o ye of average genetics, as long as “you take what you got and run with it.” Take advantage of the wealth of training/nutrition info here and realize why the “big guys” preach what they do, and why their advice remains sound in general (even when it’s not directly applicable to you)
[/quote]

If someone can be ‘bullied’ into becomimg a fatass by posters on an internet forum, it’s hard to imagine they were ever destined for greatness in the first place.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
so I should eat more hamburgers?[/quote]

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I wrote. Oh, and “there are black players in Harlem better than MJ”. Yeah, I said that too.

[/quote]

On a serious note, have you ever actually told a newb to go eat a cheeseburger, or was this, too, something born out of context and just perpetually attached to your name on this site? I’ve only been around here for a year, but I’ve never personally witnessed it. I’m just curious how that whole thing started.

Dr Ken Leistner published an article years ago in MILO and said that it is hard to argue that it is healthy being over 250L’s, irrespective of body-fat levels because of the extra stress placed on the heart.

I don’t see that a temporary increase over this weight (250L’s) could be that detrimental-say several years or so up to the early 40’s or so-but there seems to be a trend where lifters (the one’s who don’t want heart attacks) start to lose weight and concentrate on health and cardio-vascular exercise, Steve Justa for example did this and lost 100Lb’s or so going from 350 down to 250 or so (last time I checked)

Anyone who’s life is 100% healthy must be pretty dull IMO, I LOVE to train, I do take ‘da roidz’ but I’ve put a lot of work in as well and I never ‘abuse’ what I take. Training and feeling big and strong is great, but life is a very temporary state, and being jacked is even more temporary, just like everything there is a time and a place. Gaining weight and ‘bulking’ isn’t prudent in your late 40’s and after. I know another guy who dropped from about 280LB’s don to about 200LB’s in his early 50’s for exactly the same reason, he said he want’s to see his grandchildren grow up, and also pointed out that there is no need for him to bench press 540LB’s aged 55, and he’s not sure if there ever was anyway!

I think we all need to pursue what we enjoy doing and what makes us happy, but not at the expense of our health.