Most BodyBuilders Look Like Crap

health is wealth. If vanity is the main focus you are just buying into society’s values; values that suggest physical appearance and the acquisition of material items are more important than relationships,health,and intellect.

[quote]tnationpaleo wrote:
health is wealth. If vanity is the main focus you are just buying into society’s values; values that suggest physical appearance and the acquisition of material items are more important than relationships,health,and intellect.[/quote]

What if that intellect is bringing you the material items?

I get what you are saying, but it amazes me that people call this “vanity”…as they pull out their state of the art smart phone (you know, because they need to stay up to date with current tech lest someone see them as an average person), wear their designer polos or MMA shirts…or as they jump in their Lexus and put make up on while going 70mph down the freeway.

Yeah, most of what most humans do is vanity yet for some reason, those who wear what they do for all to see are worse?

LOL.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
What kind of “huge” and “getting as big as they possibly can” are we talking about?

Is this involving a lot of bodyfat gain as well? [/quote]

I am sure he left that vague on purpose.

There seem to be some here who still think the rest of us are telling people to become obese.[/quote]

No. I didn’t leave it vague on purpose. I referenced the article as the context. You didn’t read it? And, are you “lean” Mr.-eat-another-hamburger and shut up? :)[/quote]

Uh, I am betting I look better than you right now with my shirt off.

I was referring to TC when I wrote vague and it was why he associated “big at all costs” with most people trying to weigh more than 250lbs.

You know what that means? You reprimanded me for talking about someone who was not you at all.

Thank you.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Um, cool, Mr Midlife Crisis. Thank you for that.

I’m sure everyone here already knows the risks involved. And like every other athlete we accept them.

I think 240 pound old men serves as a terrible example though. Obviously. Recovery abilities change and force most people out. Also the digestive reasons limit growth and maintainance of muscle. Injury over the gym career another reason.

And why woukd we look in a nursing home for pictures of what a healthy aged person is?
[/quote]

Dear Lord…I actually agree with Count Chocula.

I have many patients over the age of 65 and all I can say is, the idea of the super healthy 70 year old is so rare that I have only seen ONE patient who came in for treatment who was 76 with no health problems and on no medication.

I am not saying there aren’t many more out there, but if you really think that most peiople, bodybuilders or not, are hitting 65+ while living like they were 40 or below, you may need a wake up call.

Living to be the oldest is only good if you have kids who don’t mind wiping your ass when you can’t anymore.[/quote]

For a “doctor” your arrogance and ignorance is astounding. You know good and fucking well that isn’t any elderly healthy males walking around weighing north of 220. Period. [/quote]

You’re right. The guy I mentioned before who was 76 years old with no health issues could barely walk because of how thin and frail he was.

Yeah, most people that old are skinny or frail…and they aren’t doing much of anything as a result.

There is a huge difference between LIVING and simply surviving longer than everyone else.

[quote]optheta wrote:
FUck, this thread is making me want to get as big as possible before I hit 30. GOTTA CATCH EM ALL![/quote]

LOL.

I have said too many times to count that if you are going to bulk up at all, get that out of the way for the most part before your mid-30’s. This is why.

People skip that as we can see in this thread as if I am telling people to eat hamburgers for no fucking reason.

LOL at the thought processes here though.

so I should eat more hamburgers?

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
so I should eat more hamburgers?[/quote]

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I wrote. Oh, and “there are black players in Harlem better than MJ”. Yeah, I said that too.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I wrote. Oh, and “there are black players in Harlem better than MJ”. Yeah, I said that too.

[/quote]

mannn you crazy Professor X!

[quote]eeu743 wrote:

Dude - long as I’ve known you you’re just a pair of legs. Perhaps if you ate more hamburgers an upper body would appear. But - if you have no upper body then you have no mouth and therefore can’t eat hamburgers…hmmm…catch-22 for sure. ; )

Professor X tearing it up in this thread.

I can’t tell if this thread is a joke or not…BG opened up with a very well reasoned post in agreement with TC’s article, a couple of thoughtful counter points appeared, and then BG menstruates all over people that disagree with him? I’m confused…I’m just going to assume it is an inside joke…

Anyways, I was pretty involved in the Livespill to that article and my comments ended up getting twisted and turned into me defending being a fat “manatee”…no surprises given the intellectual capabilities and comprehension of most people that seem to post in the Livespills nowadays, but nethertheless, that wasn’t my intent…

It seemed to me that a lot of people with very mediocre goals and very little progress used that article to justify themselves and come out of the woodwork to pat each other on the back for achieving “average”…there was seriously one guy talking about how he is 140, wears a size Small T-shirt, and has only gained 10 pounds of muscle in the 5 years he has been lifting (but of course he has a 300 pound bench and 400 pound deadlift…right)…He wasn’t alone…surprisingly very few of the other commenters had any pics of this insane progress they’ve made to being a 5-6% BF weightlifter, and an even smaller subset had ever made any meaningful contributions to this site…

So I guess what I’m getting at is if people are not here to build muscle “intelligently” and “relentlessly” and are quite content being at the same weight and BF levels from now until the day they die, what are they doing on this website? I am genuinely curious?

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
I can’t tell if this thread is a joke or not…BG opened up with a very well reasoned post in agreement with TC’s article, a couple of thoughtful counter points appeared, and then BG menstruates all over people that disagree with him? I’m confused…I’m just going to assume it is an inside joke…

Anyways, I was pretty involved in the Livespill to that article and my comments ended up getting twisted and turned into me defending being a fat “manatee”…no surprises given the intellectual capabilities and comprehension of most people that seem to post in the Livespills nowadays, but nethertheless, that wasn’t my intent…[/quote]

If you learned nothing over the last two months, understand that there are many here who do nothing BUT flip what you are saying so they can argue that.

If the responses in this thread pissed him off, then he wasn’t looking for any real discussion to begin with.

[quote]
It seemed to me that a lot of people with very mediocre goals and very little progress used that article to justify themselves and come out of the woodwork to pat each other on the back for achieving “average”…there was seriously one guy talking about how he is 140, wears a size Small T-shirt, and has only gained 10 pounds of muscle in the 5 years he has been lifting (but of course he has a 300 pound bench and 400 pound deadlift…right)…He wasn’t alone…surprisingly very few of the other commenters had any pics of this insane progress they’ve made to being a 5-6% BF weightlifter, and an even smaller subset had ever made any meaningful contributions to this site…[/quote]

Bingo…which is why you will find those “I give up” types responding the most. I worked hard for this. I look like I worked hard for it. I also never for once believed that I was guaranteed to live forever…nor do I live carelessly. It is like they ignored the concept of BALANCE and assumed no person with big muscles can have that.

Obviously they are here to complain and moan about how arrogant certain posters are…because God forbid someone achieve something and be proud of it.

Just a tangential comment on the livespill:

They’re people on that livespill who brag about going from 155 to 220 pound then back down to 165 and all their lifts stayed the same… obviously bulking doesn’t work

I wonder at some point if they wondered 'hey! my lifts aren’t going up. Rather than this being ProfX’s/whatever’s fault, maybe it’s mine for thinking that “bulking” gives me license to eat like crap"

IF YOUR LIFTS REMAIN STAGNANT WHEN YOU ARE GAINING 65 POUNDS THEN SOMETHING IS VERY VERY WRONG.

I think some people come here and read ‘eat what you want’ without the caveat of ‘training hard, improving your lifts, being consistent and bringing intensity to the session’ because it’s not explicitly written every time they don’t do it. One wonders how these people function in the real world. And of course rather than blaming yourself for being a fatass, blame this forum and/or X. brilliant.

Oh this is brilliant: there’s a guy that’s 5 foot 11, 145 pounds and said he was so obsessed with getting big he’d let his diet slip and have CHOCOLATE BAR. or a can of SODA. Oh as Kurtz would say, the horror

The only reason I’m 130 pounds like my dad is eating till I felt uncomfortable every single day for the last two years. At some point, when the scale won’t move, you have to say ‘fuck it’ and bring on the Whoppers.

Two things that strike me as hysterical is PX calling someone out for manipulating what was said to fit their arguement [honestly maybe the most ironic thing ever written on these boards] and a guy by age definition alone would be labeled “a grown man” telling another “grown man” that he looks better than him with his shirt off. The absurdity that comes off of peoples finger tips here is priceless.

Wait, what happened to “muscle is being built as fast as humanly possible”?
Why can’t we just all get big with no fat gain? Problem solved.

Regarding the old people’s issue, I would venture out to say that as their bodies are withering and decaying, they also lose their appetite.

My challenge: Find me any, ANY person over 70 that actually eats a reasonable amount of food.

I don’t think being huge is at all what it’s cracked up to be. Unless you have a job that requires you to be large, then I see no reason. It’s simply not worth the shit that comes with it. Feeling tired all the time, getting winded going up a flight of stairs, not fitting into jack shit of clothing, not my idea of a good life.

I have been as big as 295 and as thin as 160 within a 2 year time frame. Neither felt or looked good, and like TC pointed out with his mature and immature reasons for being lean and in-shape, BOTH make perfect sense. Am I vain? Fuck yes. Do I like being vain, hell yes! Has my stock in high quality tail gone up? Fuck yes. Does every aspect of my life get better as I get in better and leaner shape? Hell yes. Again, I cannot see why anyone would want to be massive other than for a job, so unless you are blocking some other fat fucker on Sundays, or maybe do something along the lines of what TBG does (and even then I can’t imagine you would want to be really huge for that), I don’t see the advantage.

The law of dimished returns applies to this concept as well, at some point you are so big, if you walk backwards and the sound of a dumptruck going in reverse sounds off, your ass is in trouble.

Count Rock, you will get there one day Gerber Boy, one day your nuts will descend, you might find a single hair on your ball bag, but you will see what some of us dinosaurs are talking about. Believe me I had a mouth like you when I was your age, then a dinosaur threw me under a Nautilus machine so rusty, I felt like I needed a tetanus shot after each set of that creeky ass machine.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Two things that strike me as hysterical is PX calling someone out for manipulating what was said to fit their arguement [honestly maybe the most ironic thing ever written on these boards] and a guy by age definition alone would be labeled “a grown man” telling another “grown man” that he looks better than him with his shirt off. The absurdity that comes off of peoples finger tips here is priceless.[/quote]

…OR you could try staying on topic for once. I don’t believe anything in this post has anything at all to do with what this thread is about.

Gee, and just when I thought the rest of the board was done with crap like that.

Back to the topic, I can completely understand the concept of changing priorities as one grows…but for those who remain on task, they should not be degraded ju7st because you decided you don’t want big arms anymore.

Now, Flash, the ball is in your court. Care to remain on topic…or as a grown man spend all of your time in this thread talking about another man?

Personally, I’ve had a revelation lately- it was about February, but it’s been building since then.

My sophmore year of college I went into a big funk for a lot of reasons, and ballooned up from 225 to 315 over about 7 months. Inactivity and pizza. I then started to get my head on straight and went on the mission. I spent two years mostly lightly active and eating well, and while i didn’t lose a ton of total weight (315 down to about 300), I definitely lost fat and gained muscle from my activity and my much better, happier life. I got home and had to have surgery again, but after my recovery, I was in the gym twice a day for a month or two, and then once a day after that. I went down to 285 in three months, and in the past four months I’ve gotten down to 275.

I look at the progress I’ve made and I think: wow, this is awesome. I’ve lost 40 pounds from my top weight. But I’m not where I need to be. I need to lose more, I need to be healthier. And it’s hard: old habits don’t go away easy. When I first got back into the gym from surgery my progress was ridiculous, but for the past couple months it’s definitely been slow. That’s why I just made the decision to keep on and start focusing less on what I weigh and more on how I feel. I feel so much better doing these complexes in CT’s latest program than I did doing my heavy lifting. I feel so much better buying real food and cooking real meals. I feel so much better not having the excuse of “Well, tomorrow is heavy squats day, so I can go eat everything off the dollar menu tonight.” Granted, I won’t give up all my food, but I will do it when I want to rather than just every single day. I won’t worry about my weight as my progress, but I will focus on my health. Am I sleeping better? Is my sex drive better? Can I walk up a flight of stairs without some Surge workout fuel? Does breathing require a warm up? These are things I think about every day. This is what drives me right now, these are where my goals are. I don’t want to be the strongest or biggest dude, I want to be the strongest, healthiest ME I can be. And I’m getting there. One day at a time.