Michigan Politics Thread

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
From my responses to a lady at the local site:

I also understand that very few people are going to closely read everything about a situation that isn’t directly about them, probably myself included. I actually have answered your questions. It is an abomination that I (or you) in the US of A would need permission from some bureaucratic office concerning the non criminal use of a plastic shed kit from a local store on my own property. The fact that so many will scowl at their screen reading this wondering what is wrong with me illustrates my point.
To recap: We did NOT pour a slab. It is an area of our exisiting driveway that has been there rat free and rat wall-less for 35 years. All I did was put a plastic shed on it. Not a high rise, not a nuclear reactor, not a dwelling. A shed.

The only reason we thought to ask the town at all was because when we rented on Lola years back I bought a $100 tiny shed and they were up my nose then about locations, foundations blah blah blah with that one. Actually it was Mary who went over and asked them about where we wanted to put this one. With pictures. The guy said as long as it’s on concrete and not too close to a property line go ahead. Had I known I would be required to jump through all these hoops I never would have bought it. Even when I was working I wasn’t making much and it took 18 months to pay it off. Put yourself in my position. There are no rats. My wife is fanatical about keeping that yard healthy. I asked Rodneyfield how a 35 year old driveway suddenly became vermin bait as a function of now having a plastic shed on it. I was asking sincerely. It is oppressive application of bad law to a family and in a Township that are frantically paddling to stay afloat. It means nothing to anybody except Rick Pringle

If you had been treated like we have by this guy with his sneering chest beating condescension you would be singing a different tune. I hope. If you have any self respect at all. In court I called him an insect. I stand by that assessment. I have scraped things off my shoe of more significance and value than this pathetic little man. He gets off on dictating what other people can and cannot do with their own property. Tragically he has the law and the courts to give muscle to his empty existence.
I haven’t even gotten into the outright abusive way that Joe Kubera rails on my wife. When I’m not there of course. He runs like a little girl when I show up simply to hand him a letter. And before you even wonder, no nO, NO, we did not instigate this treatment. I was quite cordial with Pringle until he made our shed a crusade. I have it on video. When he as much as said that Handy was out of his way and we WOULD comply, I understood. How would you feel?[/quote]

You made a rookie mistake in life. A very common mistake when dealing with bureaucrats.

ASK FOR FORGIVENESS NOT PERMISSION.

That’s it. Do what you wanted. Get it done. Get it done right then just wait. If something comes of it, Plead ignorance and as for forgiveness to make it “right”.

That’s how politics with bureaucrats work. They will seldom give you permission without a hassle. But they doll out forgiveness. Asking for their permission OR forgiveness plays to the same Egos, just approaching from the other end. They like feeling like they helped you out and will be eager to make it easy if they LIKE you.

I would not recommend you going in and asking for permission just to be nice or proper.

This is my advice to everyone reading this thread. Use it in your life and it will be easier. File this tip away.

I’ve dealt with Inspectors on big $$$ Jobs, Town Engineers, city counsels etc etc… I messed up asking for their permissions on purpose to avoid the hassle in many instances.

I think you should be fine as long as there is an understanding of this being a temporary structure.

Here is the exact local ordinance verbiage:
SECTION 3.11 ACCESSORY BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES
<<<<< >>>>>

G. Use of Accessory Buildings. Attached and detached accessory buildings in a residential district shall not be used as a dwelling unit or for any business, profession, trade or occupation, other than a home occupation as regulated by this ordinance.
H. Nuisances. Accessory structures such as household animal enclosures, dog runs, central air conditioning units, heat pumps, and other mechanical equipment that could produce noise, odors, or other nuisances shall not be located in the required side yard.
I. Number Permitted. Only one (1) private garage and one (1) storage shed shall be permitted on a single residential zoning lot, subject to the following conditions and exceptions:

1. The private garage shall not house more than three (3) motor vehicles and shall not exceed an area of 800 square feet.
  2. The storage shed shall not exceed a maximum size of 144 square feet. It shall be built with a rat wall 4 inches wide and 24 inches deep and placed over a cement slab floor having a thickness of four (4) inches. It shall not exceed an overall height of ten (10) feet. It shall be located not nearer than two (2) feet from any property line or easement and not nearer than ten (10) feet from the house. A portable, pre-manufactured storage unit not exceeding 32 square feet in area and ten (10) feet in height shall be exempt from this provision and also allowed provided it is so located and positioned on the property as not to be conducive to the harboring of vermin.

I am clearly in non compliance.

@SteelyD

Yeah, who knew. My wife had dealings with them and happened to be over there about something, don’t recall, during the time I was considering buying the shed. It was one of those “oh yeah, while I’m here we’re thinking about this shed” things.

She had yard plans in the car for some other thing she was doing and showed the guy. He said that’s fine. Didn’t mention a permit either. I was a new home owner at the time and it didn’t even occur to me to pursue it any further. I had never even heard of needing a permit to put a shed in your own yard never mind all the rest of these hoops.

@Gregus
I appreciate what you’re saying, but 2 things.

1. We actually were “forgiven” by the former town supervisor before it got to court.

2. This ordinance officer, once unleashed, wouldn’t let this go for a million dollars.

Actually 3. Now that it IS in the courts the law must be enforced unless we want pending cases decided by political and or judicial fiat. As much as it might help me personally that is a dangerous thing.

We will lose this. They WILL get either the shed removed or the rat wall installed. I have some more thinking (and praying) to do. Can you even believe with everything going on I have to consume my damn life with this?

Bump for more MI Political discussion and to hear the update on Tribulus situation

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I guess, but it wound up with me telling the ordinance guy what a useless pathetic human being he was and promising to cost this township 1000 times what they were trying to extort from me through their paying for my incarceration and diabetic care etc.
[/quote]

Will you marry me?

The shed is gone. There will be more updates when the time is right.

I have a feeling I’m not Orion’s type.