McCain Suspends Campaign

In the Illinois State Senate, Barack Obama voted “present” 129 times out of roughly 4,000 votes during an eight year period. Roughly 3.2% of his votes were “present.”

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
<<< At least he’s not feeding this line of absolute bullshit that McCain is, >>>[/quote]

Everything everybody does during a campaign is bullshit pal. The winner is the one who does it better.

hmmm…or is this really a move to hide Palin some more?

Whoops:

"86% want the debate to happen on Friday, and half of respondents want the debate to go ahead as scheduled as a foreign policy debate. Just 10% think it should be postponed.

There is a little more reflexive support from Republicans and conservatives, but what McCain proposes for Friday is opposed by just about everyone. Only 14% agree that suspending the campaign is the right response.

46% say that it would be �??bad for America�?? if there is no debate on Friday. If we are assessing the political effect of this decision, I don�??t see how it can be considered as anything but disastrous."

http://www.amconmag.com/larison/2008/09/24/crazy-like-a-crazy-old-man/

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReportUC.aspx?g=54d651a7-a62b-4420-bb32-9dd6b2df8c02

Who’s idea was it to not campaign on the 11th of this month? I have a feeling the initiative came from the McCain camp.

You guys are shameless.[/quote]

I just barely got through your posts on the matter - but the key is that McCain is doing both work and using the situation to appeal politically. It’s not either-or, it is both.

It’s a gamble, there is no doubt - but McCain has a track record of going against the political tide in order to affect policy - see Surge, The. This may be risky, but not particularly out of character, nor particularly cynical.

Obama - the next “Lincoln!!!” - isn’t even needed for work on the bailout plan, even though as a potential next president, he’d actually be lording over the Treasury Secretary still cleaning up the mess. He would having an impact on his own job should he win.

I think BigFlamer said it - some guys want the ball when the game is on the line. Some don’t. Obama wants to keep safely to the sidelines and write about it.

I have no idea what the political fallout will be for McCain on this, but he casts himself as the man willing to lead on an issue. Obama can only be reactive - and if the bill that is ultimately passed displeases Obama and he campaigns on it, the obvious question is “so, why didn’t you go lead on it and get something else passed?”.

As for McCain’s non-voting up to this point, it means little - what matters is that this is the most important piece of economic intervention to come along in nearly 100 years. McCain wants to be in on the fight, Obama wants to finish his waffle.

Here are some of the facts on the ground:

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/mccains-bailout-gambit-2008-09-24.html

[i]“They�??re not even close to having enough votes,” said Rep. Jason Altmire (D-Pa.), a freshman facing a tough reelection. “This has to be bipartisan.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) pleaded for Republicans to support the package, which conservatives have roundly criticized as too expensive and an overreach of federal power.[/i]

Of course he did, and that is why Reid floated the tale that McCain was prepared to back it when he wasn’t - he knows if he can get McCain, something might get done on his bill.

This bill won’t go forward without bipartisan support, and everyone in DC knows that. So, here we have a bipartisan opportunity - emergency, even - and everyone knows who is needed to get the sides together on something. That is a political fact, not a campaign point.

But from an image point of view, here we have the need for resolute bipartisanship in short order in a near-crisis situation. Keep score: McCain is in, and “post-partisan”, “post-ideological” Obama is out.

Opportunity seized by McCain.

Letterman on McCain’s move:

Christ, this forum really has become the GOP blowjob barn. I don’t know how you guys can see anymore.
[/quote]

Heh heh! Best line here!

[quote]Demiajax wrote:
John McCain III, a US Senator, hasn’t voted on anything since March.

[/quote]

And Obama hasn’t voted on anything since December.

You guys are deluding yourself if you think either McCain or Obama being in Washington will make one whit of difference.

Also, this bullshit about “earning their pay” is just that, bullshit. These guys have both been nominated by their party to campaign for president, that is their current job. This isn’t the primaries, this is the real deal. It is their job as candidate to inform the American people about their stance on issues now. Both candidates have a greater responsibility as the representative of their party, not just the representatives of their constituents.

McCain is grandstanding, plain and simple. I’m sick of elections being influenced by gimmicks and show.

http://www.mrc.org/SpecialReports/2008/obama/obama.asp

Think Obama will get a positive spin no matter what he does to react.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
Here’s what bothers me; we’re in the middle of one of our nations largest financial crisis since the great depression, some real serious shit, right? Well, McCain elected to suspend campaigning, and go earn his pay on capitol hill; Obama elected to campaign. for me, 'nuff said.

I mean, they’re both paid (and paid fairly handsomly too in the eyes of average Joe) to represent their constituants at the federal level right? Not be full time campaigners. I can’t imagine what my fire chief would say if I told him I needed nearly two years off to interview for another job, but keep the checks rolling! Good grief.

At least McCain went back to earn his pay during this financial crisis. Fuck Obama. Opie actually had the audacity to say to the American people today that “I have instructed them to call me if they need me”, WTF is that all about?

If your not needed during a major financial meltdown in the nations economy, then your probably not needed day to day asshole, stay the fuck home.

“they’ll call me if they need me”, give me a fucking break. What a douchebag.[/quote]

Hook line and sinker

Actually I’m pretty sure you had your mind made up before this.

Remember when Chris Weber tried to call a timeout in the closing seconds of the NCAA Men’s BB Championship game?

This seems oddly familiar.

You DO NOT get a timeout in life. Out here we multi-task…

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
It’s so transparent it’s just a political move. I’d be real surprised if he has anything really worthwhile to add.

(Clears throat) Everything done by both candidates in a hotly contested Presidential race is a POLITICAL MOVE.

SHEEEEESH…That you understand that means what?

The average voter will be impressed. Just like the many idiots that are impressed with Obama running around the country talking about change

Gee…do you think he’s talking about change to get elected?

FUCKING DUH!~!~[/quote]

Golly gee whiz… I was just stating my opinion

Didn’t know I was obligated to say anything as profound as your post… Sheeeeeesh!

[quote]borrek wrote:
You guys are deluding yourself if you think either McCain or Obama being in Washington will make one whit of difference.

Also, this bullshit about “earning their pay” is just that, bullshit. These guys have both been nominated by their party to campaign for president, that is their current job. This isn’t the primaries, this is the real deal. It is their job as candidate to inform the American people about their stance on issues now. Both candidates have a greater responsibility as the representative of their party, not just the representatives of their constituents.

McCain is grandstanding, plain and simple. I’m sick of elections being influenced by gimmicks and show.[/quote]

Right fucking on.

The righties are off in the clouds for now. Maybe they’ll come back soon. I hope not.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

You guys are shameless.

I just barely got through your posts on the matter - but the key is that McCain is doing both work and using the situation to appeal politically. It’s not either-or, it is both.

It’s a gamble, there is no doubt - but McCain has a track record of going against the political tide in order to affect policy - see Surge, The. This may be risky, but not particularly out of character, nor particularly cynical.

Obama - the next “Lincoln!!!” - isn’t even needed for work on the bailout plan, even though as a potential next president, he’d actually be lording over the Treasury Secretary still cleaning up the mess. He would having an impact on his own job should he win.

I think BigFlamer said it - some guys want the ball when the game is on the line. Some don’t. Obama wants to keep safely to the sidelines and write about it.
[/quote]

Want the ball? Please. Neither one of them has the time or the energy to go back there and fix this whole thing. This is going to take a while to manage, and no one time bailout is going to do it.

Don’t bills like this take months to go over? Not that Congress ever reads anything, of course (patriot act) but it’s a nice thought… and all of the regulations and oversight policies that will hopefully be put in are going to take a bit.

THere’s one month before the election, and millions of retards who don’t know how they’re voting. This whole thing is ridiculous.

[quote]
I have no idea what the political fallout will be for McCain on this, but he casts himself as the man willing to lead on an issue. Obama can only be reactive - and if the bill that is ultimately passed displeases Obama and he campaigns on it, the obvious question is “so, why didn’t you go lead on it and get something else passed?”.

As for McCain’s non-voting up to this point, it means little - what matters is that this is the most important piece of economic intervention to come along in nearly 100 years. McCain wants to be in on the fight, Obama wants to finish his waffle.[/quote]

Please. Absolute propagandanda and bullshit on the parts of both you and McCain. Maybe you should run for president… you’re full of enough shit to keep Washington stinking for another eight years.