McCain Suspends Campaign

The FBI is investigating Lehman, AIG, Freddie & Fannie (and hopefully others). Let’s hope they find real criminals in their search and not just scapegoats.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Vegita wrote:
He could help by staying away. During the primaries when asked a simple question on the economy, he stated, I’ll have to ask my advisors, the economy isn’t my strong-suit.
He also recently said he thought the economy was doing good. Please Mcain Stay Away!!!

V

He didn’t say the economy is doing good. He said the economy is on sound footing, or something like that. And it is. The only problem there is with the economy right now is one of credit.

An no, I am not trying to split hairs. A simple change to the accounting and a government backed insurance program would have everything back to normal for the financial institutions - then they could begin lending money, and the economy would right itself is short order.

Not to say things aren’t dire, but I think people have taken what McCain said to mean something different.

[/quote]

He actually said that the “fundamentals are strong” which they absolutley are or we would have already melted down. You are right RJ on the accounting issue.

Before Sarbanes-Oxley all of these loans would not have to be written down to zero. They could be tagged with the value down the road which would shore up their balance sheets.

Not to say we don’t have big problems now that need to be addressed but we are not sliding off into the ocean.

Great, he’s suspending his campaign to help negotiate a bailout with our taxdollars. I’m so excited, I can not hide it.

Here’s what bothers me; we’re in the middle of one of our nations largest financial crisis since the great depression, some real serious shit, right? Well, McCain elected to suspend campaigning, and go earn his pay on capitol hill; Obama elected to campaign. for me, 'nuff said.

I mean, they’re both paid (and paid fairly handsomly too in the eyes of average Joe) to represent their constituants at the federal level right? Not be full time campaigners. I can’t imagine what my fire chief would say if I told him I needed nearly two years off to interview for another job, but keep the checks rolling! Good grief.

At least McCain went back to earn his pay during this financial crisis. Fuck Obama. Opie actually had the audacity to say to the American people today that “I have instructed them to call me if they need me”, WTF is that all about?

If your not needed during a major financial meltdown in the nations economy, then your probably not needed day to day asshole, stay the fuck home.

“they’ll call me if they need me”, give me a fucking break. What a douchebag.

bigflamer:

You need to send your response to the McCain campaign; its probably JUST the effect they wanted this move to have on the electorate.

Again; McCain is no dummy.

Mufasa

Obama would just vote: present. He may as well campaign.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:

If your not needed during a major financial meltdown in the nations economy, then your probably not needed day to day asshole, stay the fuck home.

“they’ll call me if they need me”, give me a fucking break. What a douchebag.[/quote]

This is a great point - how does it say about you as a candidate when you, as the potential next president of the US, “aren’t needed” on the biggest economic policy decision since the New Deal?

If the Democrats were smart, they would have made an enormous drama out of needing Obama to come back and be the great leader we know he is in this most crucial policy negotiation…as is, the Messiah is apparently on “reserve” and isn’t even a distinguished enough to be participating in the heavy lifting.

Odd - or actually, very revealing - and the McCain camp can make much hay of it. Very interesting.

[quote]Bondslave wrote:

Obama would just vote: present. He may as well campaign. [/quote]

Heh - very nice.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
bigflamer wrote:

“they’ll call me if they need me”, give me a fucking break. What a douchebag.

This is a great point - how does it say about you as a candidate when you, as the potential next president of the US, “aren’t needed” on the biggest economic policy decision since the New Deal?

If the Democrats were smart, they would have made an enormous drama out of needing Obama to come back and be the great leader we know he is in this most crucial policy negotiation…as is, the Messiah is apparently on “reserve” and isn’t even a distinguished enough to be participating in the heavy lifting.

Odd - or actually, very revealing - and the McCain camp can make much hay of it. Very interesting.[/quote]

I think that it certainly provides insight into Obama’s character. Winners want the ball when the game is on the line, and Obama chose to sit this play out. All the while, drawing a paycheck provided by the american people. What a giant slap in the face to America.

I have ZERO respect for a man not willing to earn his pay.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
bigflamer:

You need to send your response to the McCain campaign; its probably JUST the effect they wanted this move to have on the electorate.

Mufasa
[/quote]

I’m hoping that the McCain campaign is smart enough, and agressive enough to hammer him on this. As I said to Thunderbolt, I have zero respect for a man not willing to earn his pay. This sentiment will resonate with a great many other working men and women as well.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:

I think that it certainly provides insight into Obama’s character. Winners want the ball when the game is on the line, and Obama chose to sit this play out. All the while, drawing a paycheck provided by the american people. What a giant slap in the face to America.

I have ZERO respect for a man not willing to earn his pay.

[/quote]

You guys are ridiculous. You want to walk your baby nuts around the block talking all of this bullshit about how needed they are, and which asshole can posture and pose better than the other.

Fuck that.

What the country needs is goddamn debates so it can sway the minds of the 80 million retards that are known as “swing voters”.

It would be awfully conveniant to push these debates off for a while and let McCain’s propaganda campaign keep churning out commericials and keep the speaches up while they “Work on the economy.”

Please. It’s all fucking bullshit, and don’t think for a second that your boy isn’t keeping his fucking eye on the prize. You’re fools to think otherwise.

At least Obama is bullshitting anyone. There goes that coors light train, or the straight talk express, whatever that old douche calls it.

[i]The White House rivals maneuvered Wednesday to claim the leadership role in resolving the economic turmoil that has overshadowed their campaign. Obama said he would continue preparing for the debate and consulting with bailout negotiators and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.

McCain said he would stop all campaigning and return to Washington on Thursday to work toward a bipartisan solution.[/i]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080925/ap_on_el_pr/mccain

Yea, really sounds like he’s dodging the problem.

Rest of the article:
[/i]
This is exactly the time when the American people need to hear from the person who, in approximately 40 days, will be responsible for dealing with this mess," Obama said in Clearwater, Fla. “It’s going to be part of the president’s job to deal with more than one thing at once.”

But McCain said they must focus on a bipartisan solution as the Bush administration’s $700 billion bailout proposal seemed headed for defeat. If not, McCain said ominously that credit will dry up, jeopardizing home sales, individual savings and company payrolls.

“I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time,” McCain said.

Both candidates accepted President Bush’s invitation to attend a White House meeting Thursday afternoon with congressional leaders in hopes of agreeing on a rescue plan. McCain had spoken with Bush earlier Wednesday and requested such a meeting.

In a joint statement Wednesday night, the candidates said the country faces “a moment of economic crisis” and they called for political unity to solve it because “the jobs, savings and the prosperity of the American people are at stake.” Both said Bush’s plan was “flawed.”

“We cannot risk an economic catastrophe,” they said.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., McCain’s representative in debate negotiations, told The Associated Press that McCain will not attend the debate unless there is agreement on a solution that is publicly endorsed by Obama, McCain, the White House and congressional leaders.

Asked whether the debate could go on, Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said: “My sense is there’s going to be a stage, a moderator, an audience and at least one presidential candidate.”

The jockeying between McCain and Obama began after the senators spoke privately Wednesday.

McCain beat Obama to the punch with the first public statement. The surprise announcement was an attempt to outmaneuver Obama on an issue McCain trails on and as the Democrat gains in the polls.

McCain went before TV cameras minutes after they spoke and before the campaigns could hammer out the agreed-upon joint statement.

Obama, too, made a political calculation by rejecting McCain’s challenge while still trying to appear on top of the problem. Obama repeatedly stressed that he called McCain first to propose a joint statement.

He said McCain called back several hours later and agreed, but also said he wanted to postpone the debate and hold joint meetings in Washington. Obama said he suggested they first issue the statement.

“When I got back to the hotel, he had gone on television to announce what he was going to do,” Obama said.

McCain said he would return to Washington on Thursday after an address to former President Clinton’s Global Initiative session. He canceled a scheduled appearance on CBS’ “The Late Show with David Letterman” and a meeting with India’s prime minister.

McCain called Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to propose that joint meetings with Obama and congressional leaders be held quickly, according to leadership aides. Reid spokesman Jim Manley said Reid responded by reading McCain his public statement, in which Reid said it would not be helpful for the candidates to come back and inject presidential politics into the negotiations.

Reid later told reporters that McCain “is trying to divert attention from his failing campaign.”

Debate planners said they were continuing to prepare for the event at the University of Mississippi.

McCain’s running mate, Sarah Palin, was canceling her limited campaign events. She told the “CBS Evening News” that the country could be headed for another Great Depression if Congress doesn’t reach a solution.

How long the suspension would last, McCain adviser Steve Schmidt would not say.

McCain has struggled with how to handle the situation, which he might escape with modest political damage if he and Obama can reach some type of accord on the matter.

Scores of congressional Republicans hinted this week that they may oppose the $700 billion proposal, and Reid pointedly suggested that Democrats could not be expected to back it if McCain did not publicly do so.

That leaves McCain with two unpalatable choices. He can oppose a major Republican initiative the administration says is needed to prevent a full-blown recession, and risk blame if the prediction comes true. Or he can vote for an extraordinarily costly bailout, which many Americans seem to resent, just when polls show him falling farther behind Obama.

Obama also risks voter wrath if he supports the bailout. But he could frame his stand as bipartisan statesmanship, whereas McCain’s vote could be spun as another example of him siding with Bush, a major impediment to his campaign.

Associated Press writers Nedra Pickler, Charles Babington and Liz Sidoti in Washington and Christopher Wills in Clearwater, Fla., contributed to this report. [/i]

If you fuckin dopes would look at it, they’re basically doing the same fucking thing, and they’re in the same fucking place, it’s just that Obama still wants to have the debates. And even that was a political response because he couldn’t let McCain take the lead.

Christ, this forum really has become the GOP blowjob barn. I don’t know how you guys can see anymore.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
bigflamer:

Mufasa

I’m hoping that the McCain campaign is smart enough, and agressive enough to hammer him on this. As I said to Thunderbolt, I have zero respect for a man not willing to earn his pay. This sentiment will resonate with a great many other working men and women as well.

[/quote]

He hasn’t earned his pay since day one. He went from doing nothing to campaigning. Obama wants a chapter in the history books and that drives every calorie he burns.

John McCain III, a US Senator, hasn’t voted on anything since March.

I think all the Republicans should suspend their postings here and go roll up their sleeves and fix the economy.

Because damn it, that’s what McCain is going to do. Yup. Singlehandedly fix this. Take a couple days. Some good ole’ elbow grease, know what I mean? Just like changin a carburetor… couple hours and we’ll be back on the road, campaignin’ again…

Out on the road again…

What a fuckin idiot.

[quote]Demiajax wrote:
John McCain III, a US Senator, hasn’t voted on anything since March.

[/quote]

Yup, he’s sure earnin’ his pay…

Oh wait, was that the mass media controlled by the Jews and the communists that wrote this on that site?

Inadmissable then.

McCain probably voted on something yesterday and the day before, but the commi’s in the media aren’t reporting it.

I knew it was a conspiracy.

It is NOTHING more than grandstanding on McCain’s part.

What’s wrong, the old guy can’t multi-task? Should we expect this if he becomes elected president? Pausing his job to personally oversee every problem?

And how the hell anyone can praise him for “earning his pay” when he hasn’t done a damn thing for it in 5 months is beyond me.

And lastly, the man who is publicly stated that economics is NOT HIS STRONG SUITE, wants to go back to work on an economic bailout plan.

Someone please please explain to me what he hopes to accomplish by coming back to the Capitol.

Dave really says it all for me:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, they might have this thing practically wrapped up tomorrow:

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN2448444820080925

[quote]Ren wrote:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, they might have this thing practically wrapped up tomorrow:

[/quote]

BUT JOHN MCCAIN DIDN’T GET THERE YET!!!

HOW CAN HE SAVE US IF HE DIDN’T GET THERE!!!

He better be on the phone like Reagan was during the hostage crisis… maybe the economy will be fixed on the day McCain arrives, then he can take credit for that too.

I can’t wait to hear Pig praise him for saving the economy… maybe McCain’s on a mission from god too…

God I fucking hate Republicans.

This is bogus. McCain is going to his speaking engagement tomorrow (Thursday) and keeping all his committment prior to Friday. Friday when no one is there he wants to be the big man and show up for what?

This is the perfect compliment to insisting on full control of anything Palin. She should be insulted by her own campigns lack of faith in her. No cross-talk, questions in advance, topic coaches and above all no press. She makes Cheney look like a saint, maybe she can shoot someone in the face.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I think all the Republicans should suspend their postings here and go roll up their sleeves and fix the economy.

Because damn it, that’s what McCain is going to do. Yup. Singlehandedly fix this. Take a couple days. Some good ole’ elbow grease, know what I mean? Just like changin a carburetor… couple hours and we’ll be back on the road, campaignin’ again…

Out on the road again…

What a fuckin idiot.[/quote]

I’m talking about showing up to work asshole, and earning your pay. If you’d dislodge your head from your ass and focus on what I said, you’d see that I’m not a big fan of any politician drawing a check they didn’t earn while out on the road campaigning for a NEW FUCKING JOB!!!

Even when he shows up to work, he’s likely to just vote “present” anyway. What a pussy.

What really pisses me off about Opie, is that he’s choosing to sit his worthless ass on the bench while the rest of the team tries to piece together a win. He needs to stay on JV for a while, that asshole isn’t ready for varsity yet. Period.

I mean he said it himself, he’s not needed in the middle of the nations largest financial crisis since the great depression. Certainly the largest expansion of the federal government.

He just wasn’t needed.

And wrap your head around this douchebag; tomorrow, millions of Americans, republican and democrat alike, WILL roll up their sleeves as you’ve suggested, and get to work, unlike Obama. He’d rather work on his own self interests.

Think about it…

[quote]bigflamer wrote:

I’m talking about showing up to work asshole, and earning your pay. If you’d dislodge your head from your ass and focus on what I said, you’d see that I’m not a big fan of any politician drawing a check they didn’t earn while out on the road campaigning for a NEW FUCKING JOB!!!

Even when he shows up to work, he’s likely to just vote “present” anyway. What a pussy.
[/quote]

McCain and Obama’s last vote was at the same time. They’ve been campai gning equally as much. Pure garbage here. Don’t like that? Change the system of electing people, because the current one dictates people have to be on the road doing this.

At least he’s not feeding this line of absolute bullshit that McCain is, that he’s “goin back to Washington to fix the economy”, like he’s a motherfucking conquistador coming to help all the natives.

Please. It’s garbage, posturing, political bullshit. McCain is playing the people for a fool by thinking that they’ll believe any of his tough guy crap.

Besides that, save me the noble workingman speach. I got work tomorrow too. But I’m not running for fucking president. If you were, you’d be doing the same thing.

You guys are shameless.