Martial Arts/Combat Sports Fraud Stories

[quote]idaho wrote:
On another note: I have actually had a few guys tell me (new ones looking to train) of their skill in playing games like “Halo” or “Call of Duty” as if that would would transfer over to the real world of combat training. Amazing and sad at the same time. If I had not heard them explaining this convoluted sense of skill, I would have never believed it. [/quote]

We get a few that come in and think they are the next Royce Gracie because they watched some stuff on YouTube. Granted that looking at stuff from the Interwebs helps but nothing compares to actual mat time and lots of it.

[quote]magick wrote:
I think people really need to put themselves into a situation where they’re just fucked. It REALLY gives you perspective.
[/quote]

This post Sir, should be put into a golden frame!
By far one of the smartest things I have ever read.

Physical and mental growth only happens outside of the comfort zone.
Thanks for reminding me.

[quote]idaho wrote:
On another note: I have actually had a few guys tell me (new ones looking to train) of their skill in playing games like “Halo” or “Call of Duty” as if that would would transfer over to the real world of combat training. Amazing and sad at the same time. If I had not heard them explaining this convoluted sense of skill, I would have never believed it. [/quote]

If only physical fitness and sports combat/general combat training relied on the dexterity of your fingers and not your entire body… I’m sure I’d be pretty damned good too then.

I was in the gym on the punching bag just doing the typical beat the shit out of it and then some combos that varied in speed to get myself moving. One man came up to me and asked if I knew how to punch. Now, I’ve been training a variety of different arts in a street style for 16 years at the time, and in my style (isshin ryu), our punch is vertical. I told him in my style we punch with a vertical fist and that I’ve been doing this for ages and I’m a 2nd Dan. He practically told me I was an idiot and told I was gonna break my wrist and that he will show me how to punch. I politely declined and he shook his head and walked away.

Moral of the story: don’t assume a girl doesn’t know how to freaking fight.

[quote]Seachel_25 wrote:
I was in the gym on the punching bag just doing the typical beat the shit out of it and then some combos that varied in speed to get myself moving. One man came up to me and asked if I knew how to punch. Now, I’ve been training a variety of different arts in a street style for 16 years at the time, and in my style (isshin ryu), our punch is vertical. I told him in my style we punch with a vertical fist and that I’ve been doing this for ages and I’m a 2nd Dan. He practically told me I was an idiot and told I was gonna break my wrist and that he will show me how to punch. I politely declined and he shook his head and walked away.

Moral of the story: don’t assume a girl doesn’t know how to freaking fight.[/quote]

I never assume anything in the dojo/gym. I’ve watched lots of super tough girls beat the living shit out of each other in a Muay Thai ring. Like, breaking each others noses and just pluggin on to the distance.

Wait… I need to ask: by vertical you mean knuckles up, rams horn forward, right? Excuse my ignorance, I’ve never practiced Karate.

[quote]Pigeonkak wrote:

[quote]Seachel_25 wrote:

Moral of the story: don’t assume a girl doesn’t know how to freaking fight.[/quote]

I never assume anything in the dojo/gym. I’ve watched lots of super tough girls beat the living shit out of each other in a Muay Thai ring. Like, breaking each others noses and just pluggin on to the distance.

Wait… I need to ask: by vertical you mean knuckles up, rams horn forward, right? Excuse my ignorance, I’ve never practiced Karate.
[/quote]

Take a normal punch, and then turn your hand so if your thumb stuck out, it would straight up. Like a hand shake, then make a fist. We punch with the first two knuckles still, but just with a different emphasis.

https://www.google.com/search?q=isshin+ryu+fist&hl=en&client=safari&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=aLtMUcjAM4nIyAHtx4DwAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i|7%3Bd|KKGDE0EFHBT3oM%3A

Interesting that you use the first two knuckles with a vertical fist punch. Do you know what the rationale is for doing so rather than the lower three knuckles?

I’d have to play around with it a little to see, but it would seem like it would be tough to get proper bone alignment anywhere along the punch trajectory other than right at the end. Are you throwing it from a chambered position, or more of a “boxer” guard position?

Also, and please don’t take this the wrong way, but your reaction to the person who came up to offer you advice was that of someone who’s “tea cup is full” (hopefully you know the reference). Just because you’ve been going something for “x” amount of years doesn’t mean that you can’t still learn anything beneficial or new about the subject. Maybe that individual could have showed you something that could have substantially benefited your punching technique or power, or maybe they really didn’t know anything special, you’ll never know because you refused to even “taste their cup of tea”.

I’ve got two females who are currently training under me who have 20+ years in the martial arts each (one of whom is a prominent figure in the women’s martial arts/self defense community) and who have black belts or multiple degree black belts in a couple systems. In our first training session together I literally doubled both of their punching power by making adjustments/fine tuning their technique/mechanics. They continue to improve as martial artists every class because they were not afraid to humble themselves and listen to what I was telling them to do. In turn they have taught me much about the female martial artist experience and female psychology in terms of self defense, because I am humble enough to realize that I still have plenty to learn as well.

I know that being a female there is a stigma among the untrained general public (and sadly even among some of the trained population) that you don’t know how to fight well simply due to your sex; which is incorrect (a well trained female martial artist deserves just as much respect as a well trained male martial artist). But not everyone who offers advice is doing so simply because you are a girl “and therefore don’t know how to fight”. Maybe this person was, or maybe they could have given you some real gems, again, you may never know.

Just something to think about.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Interesting that you use the first two knuckles with a vertical fist punch. Do you know what the rationale is for doing so rather than the lower three knuckles?

I’d have to play around with it a little to see, but it would seem like it would be tough to get proper bone alignment anywhere along the punch trajectory other than right at the end. Are you throwing it from a chambered position, or more of a “boxer” guard position?

Also, and please don’t take this the wrong way, but your reaction to the person who came up to offer you advice was that of someone who’s “tea cup is full” (hopefully you know the reference). Just because you’ve been going something for “x” amount of years doesn’t mean that you can’t still learn anything beneficial or new about the subject. Maybe that individual could have showed you something that could have substantially benefited your punching technique or power, or maybe they really didn’t know anything special, you’ll never know because you refused to even “taste their cup of tea”.

I’ve got two females who are currently training under me who have 20+ years in the martial arts each (one of whom is a prominent figure in the women’s martial arts/self defense community) and who have black belts or multiple degree black belts in a couple systems. In our first training session together I literally doubled both of their punching power by making adjustments/fine tuning their technique/mechanics. They continue to improve as martial artists every class because they were not afraid to humble themselves and listen to what I was telling them to do. In turn they have taught me much about the female martial artist experience and female psychology in terms of self defense, because I am humble enough to realize that I still have plenty to learn as well.

I know that being a female there is a stigma among the untrained general public (and sadly even among some of the trained population) that you don’t know how to fight well simply due to your sex; which is incorrect (a well trained female martial artist deserves just as much respect as a well trained male martial artist). But not everyone who offers advice is doing so simply because you are a girl “and therefore don’t know how to fight”. Maybe this person was, or maybe they could have given you some real gems, again, you may never know.

Just something to think about.[/quote]

That’s an interesting point and a very good one. First, we punch with the first two knuckles because of the theory that they are stronger than the bottom three, thus ur punch is more of a straight forward instead of a hook. We also use a vertical fist because in a street situation, it does not put our wrist at its biomechanical limit (you would have to turn my wrist even more to put it into lock).

Second, I have nothing against learning, it was his condescending voice that put me off. I wasn’t so much offended because of what he asked, but more of how he asked and stated his purpose. I have willingly learned methods in multiple different styles because I like to learn, but how he addressed me and my main style seemed rather more insulting than helpful.

As for the man, I do often regret not allowing him to have the opportunity to teach me what he knows for the sake of my pride. And other times, I’m glad I stood up for the style I spent so long practicing. Mixed emotions, ya know.

[quote]Seachel_25 wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

That’s an interesting point and a very good one. First, we punch with the first two knuckles because of the theory that they are stronger than the bottom three, thus ur punch is more of a straight forward instead of a hook. We also use a vertical fist because in a street situation, it does not put our wrist at its biomechanical limit (you would have to turn my wrist even more to put it into lock).

Second, I have nothing against learning, it was his condescending voice that put me off. I wasn’t so much offended because of what he asked, but more of how he asked and stated his purpose. I have willingly learned methods in multiple different styles because I like to learn, but how he addressed me and my main style seemed rather more insulting than helpful.

As for the man, I do often regret not allowing him to have the opportunity to teach me what he knows for the sake of my pride. And other times, I’m glad I stood up for the style I spent so long practicing. Mixed emotions, ya know. [/quote]

Good Conversation and good points expressed.

I have a comment and I would like to ask a question: First, I have trained female rookie cops, agents, and currently have 4 female Marine Embassy guards working out with our class, no one with any experience will ever doubt the aggression and skill a female can produce. In fact, I have found that they are easier to train because they are not encumbered with false abilites and a delusional sense of self worth.

Second, like Pigeonkak, I am ignorant about your style. Being a MT guy, I am having difficulty in imagining where you generate your power. Is the punch thrown from the high guard position? or the center of the waist? or lower? Are you able to obtain power from your hips? Thank you.

[quote]idaho wrote:

[quote]Seachel_25 wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

As for the man, I do often regret not allowing him to have the opportunity to teach me what he knows for the sake of my pride. And other times, I’m glad I stood up for the style I spent so long practicing. Mixed emotions, ya know. [/quote]

Good Conversation and good points expressed.

I have a comment and I would like to ask a question: First, I have trained female rookie cops, agents, and currently have 4 female Marine Embassy guards working out with our class, no one with any experience will ever doubt the aggression and skill a female can produce. In fact, I have found that they are easier to train because they are not encumbered with false abilites and a delusional sense of self worth.

Second, like Pigeonkak, I am ignorant about your style. Being a MT guy, I am having difficulty in imagining where you generate your power. Is the punch thrown from the high guard position? or the center of the waist? or lower? Are you able to obtain power from your hips? Thank you. [/quote]

Okay, now I see it. Or basically it’s my old Whin Chun Sunfist. Personally, I would be uncomfortable using sunfist (vertical fist) punches for anything other than a straight, centre line strike right to the face or solar plexus. I’m very curious too as to how Seachel uses hers. Maybe she can post a video she considers reliable of some striking by practitioners of her style?

It’s interesting what you say about a woman’s… “teachability” if you like. Consider the title of this thread - I doubt there are an overwhelming number of women out there claiming to be martial artist phenoms when they’re not. And if you can persuade a woman to begin serious and dedicated MA or self defence training, they are very quick learners and very quick to suit the style to their own physical proportions. I also think woman have very sharp safety instincts that can be honed with MA training to a degree a man might battle to achieve.

Guys? Man, we strut about with exaggerated lat syndrome, proving points and ignoring more experienced trainers.

EDIT: thinking more about it, the punch would be a telescoping, piston movement. As I used to throw them, the shoulders should be square allowing two punches to snap out quickly and in series with equal distance for each fist to travel. The “fisticuffs” like stance also allows a chain of strikes to target the face and solar plexus bloody chop chop, mate. A risk however is injury to your thumb. I personally, don’t use that punch anymore but I wont knock Seachel if she throws down well with it.

I figured this would be better explored in it’s own thread. Especially after I tried another style Monday in which they did things completely different.

[quote]Seachel_25 wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Thanks for the response and understanding what I was trying to say.

That’s a relevant point you make about the first two knuckles being generally larger and more durable than the bottom two. I’ve heard arguments for both contact points from very high level coaches regarding horizontal punching, but I was unaware that some styles used anything but the bottom three knuckles in vertical fist punching. Next bag workout I’ll have to play around with that and see how it feels.

Also, I looked at the jpeg you linked to of the Isshin Ryu fist and I see that it places the thumb on top. I know that this activates the flexor and adductor policis muscles (located between the thumb and forefinger) which helps to stabilize the wrist during punching. But, especially if punching to the body, aren’t you a little worried about the increased risk of catching the thumb on an elbow and breaking it? Or, maybe a better question would be to ask if you have noticed a tendency to injure it during your full contact sparring? Personally I would be a little hesitant about it, but you’ve got more experience with this fist than me, so I’m interested to hear your experiences.

Finally, I totally understand what you are saying about your reaction to the man in your story being due to his intonation/attitude and not his offer to teach you something. I realized in reading your post/writing my response that I was undoubtedly not getting the whole picture of what happened, but figured I’d put that point about the need to be consistently humble and open minded enough as martial artists (even when we reach the black belt level or above) to not think that just because we’ve done something for a long time that we don’t still have much to learn. Glad to hear that you agree. :slight_smile:

As for the punch, I also noticed the thumb on top for the punch. I tuck my thumb by my forefinger’s distal phalange (the joint closest to the finger tips). Or I don’t punch at all, typically reverting to a palm heel during self-defense.

[quote]Seachel_25 wrote:
As for the punch, I also noticed the thumb on top for the punch. I tuck my thumb by my forefinger’s distal phalange (the joint closest to the finger tips). Or I don’t punch at all, typically reverting to a palm heel during self-defense.[/quote]

Do you by chance mean you tuck your thumb against the middle forefinger phalange? I’m having a hard time figuring out how one could tuck it against the distal (third) forefinger phalange while making a fist. When I (or anyone I’ve ever trained or trained with) makes a proper fist the distal phalange is pressed against the adductor pollicis muscle (the big meaty muscle at the base of the thumb on the palm). I can’t figure out how one could tuck the thumb against it, unless they were making a “leopard fist” (fist where the end of the first phalange/second knuckle is the striking surface), but even that would be awkward (and that isn’t a great fist structure for punching power).

I will say that an observation that I have made is that some women (and this may or may not apply to you) have a hard time making a proper fist due to either having long finger nails, or a lack of hand strength. This results in a loose fist structure and the thumb being thus placed improperly. It also results in a weak wrist structure and “hammering” (moving from only the elbow joint) while punching. I have one female student (who has several decades of martial arts training and a black belt in a couple styles) who, no matter how much I try, I simply cannot get her to make a proper fist and as a result her punching power isn’t anywhere near where it could/should be. In these cases I tell them to use palm strikes should they ever have to strike in a self defense situation (like you said you do).

Again, not saying that’s you, just having a hard time picturing a proper fist with the thumb against the distal forefinger phalange.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Seachel_25 wrote:
As for the punch, I also noticed the thumb on top for the punch. I tuck my thumb by my forefinger’s distal phalange (the joint closest to the finger tips). Or I don’t punch at all, typically reverting to a palm heel during self-defense.[/quote]

Do you by chance mean you tuck your thumb against the middle forefinger phalange? I’m having a hard time figuring out how one could tuck it against the distal (third) forefinger phalange while making a fist. When I (or anyone I’ve ever trained or trained with) makes a proper fist the distal phalange is pressed against the adductor pollicis muscle (the big meaty muscle at the base of the thumb on the palm). I can’t figure out how one could tuck the thumb against it, unless they were making a “leopard fist” (fist where the end of the first phalange/second knuckle is the striking surface), but even that would be awkward (and that isn’t a great fist structure for punching power).

I will say that an observation that I have made is that some women (and this may or may not apply to you) have a hard time making a proper fist due to either having long finger nails, or a lack of hand strength. This results in a loose fist structure and the thumb being thus placed improperly. It also results in a weak wrist structure and “hammering” (moving from only the elbow joint) while punching. I have one female student (who has several decades of martial arts training and a black belt in a couple styles) who, no matter how much I try, I simply cannot get her to make a proper fist and as a result her punching power isn’t anywhere near where it could/should be. In these cases I tell them to use palm strikes should they ever have to strike in a self defense situation (like you said you do).

Again, not saying that’s you, just having a hard time picturing a proper fist with the thumb against the distal forefinger phalange.[/quote]

It’s just as difficult for me to grasp the punching with the bottom knuckles, so I can imagine trying to figure out what I mean. Hopefully the picture will help. My nails aren’t long at all, but since I’ve been teaching self defense for women for three years, out of habit, the palm heel comes more naturally for me.

When you see someone using the Isshin Ryu fist it looks a little weird because the arm doesn’t really straighten out much more than a snap and then back as the elbow stays rather tucked in along your ribs (for a straight punch).

Ok, so you did mean your second/middle phalange of your forefinger, and it looks like you are able to make a tight fist from that picture.

While we’re talking about keeping an open mind about technique, check out Geoff Thompson from 4:00 onwards. He delivers with an upright fist and thumb sticking out. Far from textbook but I still wouldn’t like to be on the receiving end of one.

I like Geoff’s writing and thoughts on real world combat, but I see no tactical or biomechanical benefit to punching with the thumb out to the side like he does. Not only does it significantly increase the chances of catching it on something and breaking it, but it doesn’t really provide any benefits.

Yes, you want to minimize tension most of the time and even throughout the majority of a punch; but at the moment of contact/impact tension can be beneficial. A more compact and stable fist at impact will more effectively transfer the force of a punch than a loose fist.

Also, if those are supposed to be powerful punches, I’m not impressed. I’d need to see it from a couple of different angles, but if he’s actually throwing the punch like he demonstrates it at around the 4 minute mark, then it looks like his understanding of optimal biomechanics is lacking.

Finally, we should remember that Geoff is primarily concerned with dealing with the average “tough guy” that one might encounter at say a bar/pub in a real fight. In that context, that punch would be an effective one (though I still don’t like the thumb out). And in that context one doesn’t necessarily need huge power to do the job (as in many cases they will be surprised by the punch).

I agree with you Sento, and wouldn’t personally throw it that way, although it seems like everything in the video is aimed exclusively at pre-emptive striking/suckerpunching while the guy in front of you is still psyching themselves up to fight. In that context, it is less of a risk to have the thumb out to the side. The important thing is that he’s found what works for him, and made it work effectively in a real environment.

As a boxer, I can’t get on board with the whole lurching forwards ‘punch from the centre’ bit with a right cross. But again, it has clearly been very effective for Thompson. It goes to show that you have to find what works for you.

That’s the first time I’ve ever seen footage of him. He’s nothing like I imagined. He doesn’t give the vibe at all of being a tough nut, and I don’t think your average person would be intimidated by him. It’s a great example of why you shouldn’t go looking for trouble with strangers. He may be a softly spoken, physically unremarkable bloke, but he’s the real deal, and could fuck you sideways for starting trouble.

With my luck, I would miss the target and break my thumb.

On a semi-related note: when I was sparring at my 1 Dan test, I was throwing a combo and, because of my gloves, I couldn’t tuck my thumb properly. I nearly gouged out the Sensei’s eye as my thumb grazed his face.

But yeah, definitely wouldn’t feel comfortable even trying that.