Man Kills Grizzly With a Knife

The fact that the bear didn’t knock him unconscious is amazing. What does an adult Grizzly bear weigh? About 800lbs or so? Running at 35mph? Yeah, I would not want to be on the receiving end of that.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
The fact that the bear didn’t knock him unconscious is amazing. What does an adult Grizzly bear weigh? About 800lbs or so? Running at 35mph? Yeah, I would not want to be on the receiving end of that.

[/quote]

800 would make her a middleweight. I think they go from 500 to 1500ibs.

Funny bear warning making the rounds below:

Bear Warning! 

After a number of attacks on hikers and campers in Alaska, the Department of Fish & Game released the following advisory:

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.

Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between Black Bear and Grizzly Bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper.

[quote]hedo wrote:

Funny bear warning making the rounds below:

Bear Warning! 

After a number of attacks on hikers and campers in Alaska, the Department of Fish & Game released the following advisory:

We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.

Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between Black Bear and Grizzly Bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper.

[/quote]

Wow, I just chortled.

Original story is fucking amazing. I tried youtubing, but I found this. You may think light of it, but watch the bears and just think about how fast they’re moving.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

Original story is fucking amazing. I tried youtubing, but I found this. You may think light of it, but watch the bears and just think about how fast they’re moving.[/quote]

I understand in the original post, how the man killed the bear in self defence…that was awesome…but when watching this video watching a guy sniping a bear with a high-powered rifle for no reason, something about it just seems wrong.

I’ve got no issue with hunting. But killing a bear with a knife…that takes some big ones.

[quote]JohnnyBlaze wrote:
WolBarret wrote:

Original story is fucking amazing. I tried youtubing, but I found this. You may think light of it, but watch the bears and just think about how fast they’re moving.

I understand in the original post, how the man killed the bear in self defence…that was awesome…but when watching this video watching a guy sniping a bear with a high-powered rifle for no reason, something about it just seems wrong.

[/quote]

Yeah, and after he takes out the second one, he says it’s unfortunate that he had to. WTF? Both of the hunter’s were out there to kill. They weren’t out there to take pictures. He acts like, “oh, it’s too bad I had to kill it”.

Lame.

The original story, that dude got some bragging rights, damn.

Those guys (from the youtube) are arseholes.

Yeah, so sad. If they weren’t there, hunting bears, they never would’ve been charged.

They were there to kill bears. How can they be surprised that that happened? Bloody idiots.

The guy who had the knife encounter? Wow. Lucky to still be alive that guy.

While following the YouTube link I found this one:

Dayum! Apparently grizzly bears aren’t the only ones who defend their young passionately. That last claw swipe to the bear’s ass as it’s running away is the perfect capper. Score one for motherhood.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Sxio wrote:

Yeah, so sad. If they weren’t there, hunting bears, they never would’ve been charged.

They were there to kill bears. How can they be surprised that that happened? Bloody idiots.

Don’t forget the knife encounter guy was hunting too, just not bears.

Far as I’m concerned it’s no different hunting bears than it is birds (from an ethics standpoint). I’ve done it and I’m all for it. We (mankind) have been doing it for thousands of years. We’re predators pure and simple. Nothing “sad” about it.[/quote]

Right, push, but a true predator hunts for survival/sustenance. Only humans do it for “sport”.

I think it can hardly be argued that these guys were starving, a bear was the only game available, and they just happened to be packing hunting rounds capable of bringing one down (which they did a pretty piss-poor job of). Sure, I’ve heard of bear meat being utilized, but I think it’s much more likely that they were a bunch of bubbas looking to bag a trophy.

I think what Sxio was lamenting was the fact that these guys were acting like the attack was unprovoked. I mean, if I shoot someone and wound them, and they draw a knife and charge me, could I then argue self defence for taking a fatal shot to avoid getting stabbed?

Not equating human life to animal’s or any Green Peace bullshit like that, just using this example to illustrate the absurdity of these yee-haws looking remorseful in the post interviews and using the “it was coming right at us” line to try to give themselves the moral high ground.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Digital Chainsaw wrote:

…Right, push, but a true predator hunts for survival/sustenance. Only humans do it for “sport”…

No truer predator than a wolf and they have been often observed hunting for sport. They will make a kill and consume practically nothing. That is one of the reasons they were hated so much on the American frontier.

Even currently here in Montana they kill sheep and cattle for no other apparent reason than the pleasure of killing. There are predators on the African savanna that do so as well.[/quote]

My cat does this.

[quote]Digital Chainsaw wrote:
pushharder wrote:
Sxio wrote:

Don’t forget the knife encounter guy was hunting too, just not bears.

Far as I’m concerned it’s no different hunting bears than it is birds (from an ethics standpoint). I’ve done it and I’m all for it. We (mankind) have been doing it for thousands of years. We’re predators pure and simple. Nothing “sad” about it.

Right, push, but a true predator hunts for survival/sustenance. Only humans do it for “sport”.

I think it can hardly be argued that these guys were starving, a bear was the only game available, and they just happened to be packing hunting rounds capable of bringing one down (which they did a pretty piss-poor job of). Sure, I’ve heard of bear meat being utilized, but I think it’s much more likely that they were a bunch of bubbas looking to bag a trophy.

I think what Sxio was lamenting was the fact that these guys were acting like the attack was unprovoked. I mean, if I shoot someone and wound them, and they draw a knife and charge me, could I then argue self defence for taking a fatal shot to avoid getting stabbed?

Not equating human life to animal’s or any Green Peace bullshit like that, just using this example to illustrate the absurdity of these yee-haws looking remorseful in the post interviews and using the “it was coming right at us” line to try to give themselves the moral high ground.

[/quote]

The bear that charged them was not the “wounded bear” or the bear they were shooting at. It was an entirely different bear that went into attack mode when it heard the shot and charged.

He made good lethal shots on the bear he was hunting and the guide tried to ward off the different charging mother bear and waited to the last minute before shooting it which probably saved one or both of their lives.

Coincidentally, I killed a Bull Elk last week and upon returning to camp that evening there was a black bear in the back of my pickup that tore my cooler lid off. He turned tail and ran when he saw us but returned every evening we were there (fortunately we slept in a camper). The next day when we hiked up to my elk to pack the meat down there was another black bear feeding on the carcass.

My meat was fifty yard from the carcass hanging in a tree and we were loud and visible approaching the hanging meat. I had my fifty cal. muzzleloader trained on his lungs and yelled when at the tree and luckily he turned tail and ran probably full from eating elk guts all night.

We packed our pack frames and kept a wary eye out and then left the carcass to the bear. We wished him no harm, but had he gotten aggressive I wouldn’t have hesitated to sink some lead in his ass.

D

[quote]hedo wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

800 would make her a middleweight. I think they go from 500 to 1500ibs.

[/quote]

800 would be near the upper end for females. The males are almost twice as large.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
The bear that charged them was not the “wounded bear” or the bear they were shooting at. It was an entirely different bear that went into attack mode when it heard the shot and charged. [/quote]

We must have been watching different videos then. The only “different bear” I saw was the cub of the, as you for some reason put quote marks around, wounded bear in the background. Although the video was so shaky towards the end I was starting to get a headache, I saw no other adult bears in it.

Ummm… I’m no hunting expert, but isn’t a “good” shot supposed to kill its intended target on the first try?

To be fair, I own several guns, and I know that not every shot can be perfect every time, but if a novice like me can hit the bullseye on a pie plate at 100 yards at an outdoor range using the stock sights on a 5.56 AR the one and only time I ever picked one up, I don’t see why a lethal head or body shot on a slow moving bear couldn’t be achieved at 60 yards by a seasoned hunter with a scoped rifle designed for the task.

Again, not expecting consistent perfection, but I just don’t get how “shots” (plural) can be called “good” when used in the context of bringing down a single animal you intended to hunt.

However, Dedicated, you are the hunter, so I’ll defer to your judgement here.

Never said those guys wouldn’t have been in a world of shit if they hadn’t taken down the bear (“different” or otherwise) charging them.

Me and some other members were commenting on how hypocritical it seemed that a group of hunters who set out to hunt bear gave these toe-shuffling, hat-in-hand sounding interviews afterward because the animal they were out in the wilderness to kill briefly turned the tables on them and thus they, oh-so-sadly, had “no choice”.

I would have at least some modicum of respect for them if one of them were just honest enough to say, “yep! shot that fucker! New rug for the fireplace! Yeehaw!”

[quote]Coincidentally, I killed a Bull Elk last week and upon returning to camp that evening there was a black bear in the back of my pickup that tore my cooler lid off. He turned tail and ran when he saw us but returned every evening we were there (fortunately we slept in a camper). The next day when we hiked up to my elk to pack the meat down there was another black bear feeding on the carcass.

My meat was fifty yard from the carcass hanging in a tree and we were loud and visible approaching the hanging meat. I had my fifty cal. muzzleloader trained on his lungs and yelled when at the tree and luckily he turned tail and ran probably full from eating elk guts all night.

We packed our pack frames and kept a wary eye out and then left the carcass to the bear. We wished him no harm, but had he gotten aggressive I wouldn’t have hesitated to sink some lead in his ass.

D[/quote]

Cool story. I admire your field ethics, and I am more than a little jealous of your skill in this area. Unfortunately, I get irritated at the mere thought of camping, let alone trekking miles and miles into the wilderness to hunt something as difficult as elk. Wish I wasn’t such a city-bred pussy, but that’s the way it is.

On a personal note, I don’t consider bear or any other carnivore legitimate “game”. Dedicated, since you stated that on your last hunting trip you went to great lengths to not shoot a bear, I’m curious as to whether you’ve ever hunted one and if so, why. Not trying to start a pissing contest, I really would like the opinion of an experienced hunter on this.

[quote]Digital Chainsaw wrote:

Cool story. I admire your field ethics, and I am more than a little jealous of your skill in this area. Unfortunately, I get irritated at the mere thought of camping, let alone trekking miles and miles into the wilderness to hunt something as difficult as elk. Wish I wasn’t such a city-bred pussy, but that’s the way it is.

On a personal note, I don’t consider bear or any other carnivore legitimate “game”. Dedicated, since you stated that on your last hunting trip you went to great lengths to not shoot a bear, I’m curious as to whether you’ve ever hunted one and if so, why. Not trying to start a pissing contest, I really would like the opinion of an experienced hunter on this.[/quote]

Quite simply, I have never had a desire up to this point to kill a bear. I have seen them on many occasions in the field and had I been hunting for them could have seemingly easily taken one. In my view hunting Elk or Deer especially a larger Bull or Buck requires a lot more skill and is more challenging.

Even smaller predators like coyotes are, to me, more challenging. Hell, maybe I have a kindred spirit with bear because it does seem odd even to me I’ve never wanted to hunt one, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t shoot one in an instant if I felt threatened by one. There’s no Timothy Treadwell B.S. residing in me.

In regard to your view on a kill shot being good or not. You can hit an animal with a deadly lethal shot square in the heart or lungs and it may not immediately flop over dead. It still needs to bleed to death to expire if hydrostatic shock doesn’t give you an immediate kill.

Bow hunters make great shots all the time and have to wait awhile for the animal to expire. The only immediate kills come from direct spine or head/brain shots, but are very unwise due to the fact that injuries (missing hitting the jaw or lower neck) result in more woundings then a shot to the lungs or heart would have been easier to make and ensured a kill.

As far as there behavior I respect your view to think their buffoons, but I see nothing wrong with it. They were hunting ran into a possibly fatal situation were excited and happy to have survived it. Had they been killed they knew the risk as outdoors-men.

D

Hitting a moving animal with a rifle at 50 yds. or more is beyond the skill level of most hunters. Add in the fact that it is a bear coming towards you and I think the accuracy drops even more.

I’ve shot Eastern Whitetails with a quick handling 30-30 but they were within 40 yds and running across my line of sight. It’s very difficult. At longer distances it’s even more difficult and I am an experienced hunter and very experienced marksman.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
There is an unparalleled thrill to hunting deadly big game. The only deadly big game I’ve ever hunted is the Alaskan grizzly and it is a whole different feeling when you’re out in the field after them, even compared to monster bull elk.[/quote]

Oh yeah, well, well, I fished for deadly sea bass with frikken lazer beams attached to their head off of a yacht whilst a wild swinger party was being had. Wait let me guess you did that already?

Damn! :frowning:

d