Man Kills Grizzly With a Knife

Geez some guys think they are pretty tough and then you read something like this.

Sat, August 25, 2007

Bear buster had no choice

Hunter kills mother grizzly bear with knife as she charged and attacked

By DEREK LOGAN, SUN MEDIA

GRANDE PRAIRIE – A hunter who fought off and mortally wounded a charging grizzly bear last week said he had no chance to run and was forced to defend himself.

Chris McLellan, 32, was scouting locations for bow-hunting in a farmer’s oat field about 25 km southwest of Grande Prairie Aug. 15 when he ran into the mother grizzly with three cubs.

McLellan said the bear had been partially concealed by a knoll in the field and he didn’t see her until she stood up in front of him 60 yards away.

“I started to shake, man,” McLellan told Sun Media as he continues to recover from his injuries at an Edmonton hospital.

“I had a camouflage mask on so I took that off so that she could see that I was a human, thinking that would scare her away. I started waving my arms and screaming and it never fazed her. She just dropped down to all fours and charged.”

There was no room for choice, said McLellan, as the distance was too short and the bear would have run him down.

“She never slowed down,” he said.

“She never made a turn. She was attacking. There was no bluffing. She just stared into my eyes the whole time and you could just hear her coming, huffing and puffing across that field.”

McLellan had driven out to the field down Secondary Highway 666 before turning onto Range Road 73 and driving about four km.

He had only a digital camera and a hunting knife with 12-inch blade when he encountered the bear.

“I put my knife above my head and waited for her to hit me,” he said. “She just mowed into me like a football check.”

The grizzly rammed into his stomach and then grabbed his left arm with her jaws. As the two went down, McLellan plunged the knife into her back between the shoulder and neck.

The bear then bit him on his torso and his right arm but McLellan managed to stab her again twice in the neck.

The grizzly then turned and walked way, allowing McLellan to get up even though his left arm was now broken.

“I didn’t even look at her at all,” he said.

“I didn’t even know I had killed it until the following day.”

McLellan then met a farmer who called 911.

That guy will never buy his own drinks for the rest of his life.

“Say fellas, ya remember the time I…”

Wow, his moment of truth came and he answered and fought for and won his life. Ninety nine times out of a hundred the bear is winning that encounter. I think I said in the 100 men vs. a bear thread give one man a knife and he has a chance.

D

If you don’t get pussy with that story…

“Yeah this bear charged me with no reason. As soon as she got up in my face I said ‘fuck you bear’ and gave it a Colombian Necktie with my knife.”

All I can say is Wow. Talk about an insane fucking story. I’d totally soil myself (in as manly a fashion as possible of course).

-S

Wow! Those Canadians are pretty tough eh:)

[quote]Mike Sammon wrote:
Wow! Those Canadians are pretty tough eh:)[/quote]

Yeah, with their beady eyes and flapping heads!
“I’ll give ya something to charge abooot!”

-S

Gosh, I guess I can’t really make fun of Canadians for a month or so…

Wow, that’s incredible. Talk about courage under fire.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Wow, his moment of truth came and he answered and fought for and won his life. Ninety nine times out of a hundred the bear is winning that encounter. I think I said in the 100 men vs. a bear thread give one man a knife and he has a chance.

D[/quote]

Wrong. There is a reason why bears or lions avoid humans. They don’t want to follow the path of the cave lion or the persian lion.
Most of the time, our species was armed in the wilderness. A carnivore may be physically more impressive, but dealing with it would result at least in severe injuries.

If he’d been unarmed, now that’s a different story…

exactly how fast could mama Grizzly run ? I know that knife or no knife, with my limited knowledge of outdoor life, i would of tried to run.

I was clocked at 22 mph at a speed camp a few years ago, would that of done me any good ?

Or would i just be Bear kibble?

–JB

Unless you are running downhill Grizzlys can run much faster than a human and it is not just the cubs that can climb trees either. The only reason why running downhill helps is their front legs are shorter than their rear and they can take a nose dive.

This story proves that there is nothing more dangerous than a cornered animal. Canadians are tough but that man has some big balls to kill a grizzly with just a knife.

Bear kibble.

In a charge they can hit up to 40 mph.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
exactly how fast could mama Grizzly run ? I know that knife or no knife, with my limited knowledge of outdoor life, i would of tried to run.

I was clocked at 22 mph at a speed camp a few years ago, would that of done me any good ?

–JB[/quote]

From Wiki:

“In spite of their size, some have been clocked at speeds in excess of 56 km/h (35 mph). Along with their strength and deceptive speed, brown bears are legendary for their stamina. They are capable of running at full speed for miles at a time without stopping.”

No luck there. Also, don’t climb a tree. They climb well too.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
–JB[/quote]
HA!
the slow ones run 30 mph, and can sprint much farther than a man can. so if you started at a sufficient distance and had a tree available that you could quickly climb, you might have a chance since fully-grown grizzlies aren’t known to be great climbers. but then, you’d also need a tree big enough that the bear wouldn’t be able to knock over. happy hunting!

Well, i think my question has been answered.

Bear kibble it is.

–JB