Man Attacked on DC Subway

^
four60

I couldn’t agree more about carrying yourself a certain way so as to be an unappealing target. I would say that attitude/demeanor are as important as size/fitness level (although size definitely does matter). A person who walks/stands in an alert, confident and assertive (but not aggressive) manner will generally discourage a lot of bullshit before it gets started. Street predators are like any other predators, they look for the weak and careless. I believe it said in the blog that this guy had his head down reading a book when this deal touched off; situational awareness - nonexistent. Between that and his apparent lack of force presence this guy unfortunately had a bullseye tattooed on his forehead for every shitrat in the vicinity. Sad but true. We are all our own first and best line of defense and our best defense is usually to avoid and deter this shit before it ever starts.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]clip11 wrote:
I hate to say this, but if this had been some white teens attacking a black person, it would be national news with Al and Jesse leading marches.[/quote]

You’re DEFINITELY HeadHunter.

The internet can’t hide the intent in his words.[/quote]

Plus dated. Mannn no one listens to Jesse anymore.[/quote]

LOL. I was thinking the same thing.

As for the guys saying if the white guy had beaten the black girl’s ass, any black guys around would have jumped on him, how do you know and what gives you the right to paint anyone with so broad a brush? I’ve seen two such incidents in my life. Once outside a nightclub and once, ironically on the DC subway, where a black female started a physical incident with a white male and summarily got her ass kicked.

Neither time did any of the black males around, myself included jump in. The closest it came was on the DC subway when one guy did say something to the effect of, “Somebody should beat his ass.” I turned around, looked at him and told him, “She stepped to him like a man and got her ass beat like a man.” Everyone just shrugged their shoulders and watched her get off at the next stop crying.

[quote]lewhitehurst wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]clip11 wrote:
I hate to say this, but if this had been some white teens attacking a black person, it would be national news with Al and Jesse leading marches.[/quote]

As for the guys saying if the white guy had beaten the black girl’s ass, any black guys around would have jumped on him, how do you know and what gives you the right to paint anyone with so broad a brush? I’ve seen two such incidents in my life. Once outside a nightclub and once, ironically on the DC subway, where a black female started a physical incident with a white male and summarily got her ass kicked. Neither time did any of the black males around, myself included jump in. The closest it came was on the DC subway when one guy did say something to the effect of, “Somebody should beat his ass.” I turned around, looked at him and told him, “She stepped to him like a man and got her ass beat like a man.” Everyone just shrugged their shoulders and watched her get off at the next stop crying.
[/quote]

Yeah… about that…

… is it ok if I do not feel like risking my life on the off chance that there is a giant black man with common sense around?

[quote]four60 wrote:
If your ever there on a friday, sat, sun night. Its no suprise. That place is the crossroads of party people. Either coming from a club or going to a club. So you will get a mixture of people coming off the dif trains. And if this was the yellow or green line that is the spot where you will find the most young people on.

I’m hearing most of the people on here saying if it was me this or me that. To be honest most big guys or guys that carry themselves in a certain way are not going to be approached the way this guy was.
They pegged him as a target and reacted as such. Even kids can spot a weak target. His best reaction should have been to walk fast to the booth and yell for the cops. No shame in knowing when to leave a situation like that.
He is not a big guy and from the video was outnumbered so his best option should have been walk fast to the booth. But he confronted there attack and made it worse becuase now it fed whatever anger they had.

That station should always have a police presence during the weekend nights.[/quote]

[quote]batman730 wrote:
^
four60

I couldn’t agree more about carrying yourself a certain way so as to be an unappealing target. I would say that attitude/demeanor are as important as size/fitness level (although size definitely does matter). A person who walks/stands in an alert, confident and assertive (but not aggressive) manner will generally discourage a lot of bullshit before it gets started. Street predators are like any other predators, they look for the weak and careless. I believe it said in the blog that this guy had his head down reading a book when this deal touched off; situational awareness - nonexistent. Between that and his apparent lack of force presence this guy unfortunately had a bullseye tattooed on his forehead for every shitrat in the vicinity. Sad but true. We are all our own first and best line of defense and our best defense is usually to avoid and deter this shit before it ever starts.[/quote]

Both are very true statements. Predators always prey on the weak and unaware. Just think as predators as wolves and the vast majority of people as sheep and you understand why most incidents like these happen. Sad to say, as big and as tough as most people try to act or think they are, 99% carry themselves like victims and what keeps them from being attacked is that there are easier pickings than them.

[quote]four60 wrote:
If your ever there on a friday, sat, sun night. Its no suprise. That place is the crossroads of party people. Either coming from a club or going to a club. So you will get a mixture of people coming off the dif trains. And if this was the yellow or green line that is the spot where you will find the most young people on.

I’m hearing most of the people on here saying if it was me this or me that. To be honest most big guys or guys that carry themselves in a certain way are not going to be approached the way this guy was.
They pegged him as a target and reacted as such. Even kids can spot a weak target. His best reaction should have been to walk fast to the booth and yell for the cops. No shame in knowing when to leave a situation like that.
He is not a big guy and from the video was outnumbered so his best option should have been walk fast to the booth. But he confronted there attack and made it worse becuase now it fed whatever anger they had.

That station should always have a police presence during the weekend nights.[/quote]

[quote]batman730 wrote:
^
four60

I couldn’t agree more about carrying yourself a certain way so as to be an unappealing target. I would say that attitude/demeanor are as important as size/fitness level (although size definitely does matter). A person who walks/stands in an alert, confident and assertive (but not aggressive) manner will generally discourage a lot of bullshit before it gets started. Street predators are like any other predators, they look for the weak and careless. I believe it said in the blog that this guy had his head down reading a book when this deal touched off; situational awareness - nonexistent. Between that and his apparent lack of force presence this guy unfortunately had a bullseye tattooed on his forehead for every shitrat in the vicinity. Sad but true. We are all our own first and best line of defense and our best defense is usually to avoid and deter this shit before it ever starts.[/quote]

Both are very true statements. Predators always prey on the weak and unaware. Just think as predators as wolves and the vast majority of people as sheep and you understand why most incidents like these happen. Sad to say, as big and as tough as most people try to act or think they are, 99% carry themselves like victims and what keeps them from being attacked is that there are easier pickings than them.
[/quote]

Yeh’ victims of fear!

People nowadays are in a perpetual state of fear. Incidents like this are all over the news and in the papers. People getting attacked and even murdered for no reason is common news fodder. The guy in that clip did the right thing and didnt retaliate becasue who knows what would have happened or to be more precise what HE thought could have happened. This is the sad reality we live in today.

It reminds me of an incident in the UK a while ago where some guys were throwing chips (fries) at another guy on a double decker bus. He got up and confronted them only to be stabbed to death! THIS is what people are afraid of! Now everyone turns a blind eye for fear they will be next.

I dont know if you guys are familiar with ‘happy slapping’ but that shit was epidemic with kids over here. They would film people on their mobiles getting attacked, slapped, punched whatever by someone in their shitty little gang.

This world is completly fucked. Not much more to say about that.

I pretty much agree with the “victim of fear” explanation.
Another type of “fear” that should be considered is the fear of authorities.
Someone attacks me like that - would it be justified from the legal standpoint for me to get my glock out and put some .45 hollow points into the attacker ?

basically this

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:
^
four60

[/quote]

True. The sad part in all of this is kids spot this fast. Most people don’t want to think about what they would do if this really happend to them. It scares them to think about it so they go thru there day avoiding the thought of what would I do if?

If your travels take you to places that can leave you open to an attack OF ANY KIND. Then it pays to at least think of or look for exists, cops, metro worker, but don’t walk thru with blinders on. What you don’t want is to wait until it happens then your shocked and yelling in anger at kids who are on your azz for shits and giggles.

Well I would say starting a fight over some fries or anything else that really amounts to nothing more than an insult is a bad idea. Nobody wants to take that kind of crap but you’re better to remove yourself from the situation if possible. However if you either are or are about to be physically attacked I say hit first, hit fast, hit a lot and get the fuck out at your first opportunity.

Strike vulnerable areas (eyes, groin etc) kick bite gouge whatever. Use your environment and and any improvised weapon you can find and go apeshit (using an appropriate level of force for the threat). If people think you’re nuts that’s a tactical advantage for you plus you’re gonna need to go a little nuts to come out on top especially against multiples.

Think speed, surprise and violence of action but ONLY if you cannot walk or talk your way out of a situation. I cannot stress this enough. Ego gets you killed even if you’re right.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]clip11 wrote:

As for the guys saying if the white guy had beaten the black girl’s ass, any black guys around would have jumped on him, how do you know and what gives you the right to paint anyone with so broad a brush? I’ve seen two such incidents in my life. Once outside a nightclub and once, ironically on the DC subway, where a black female started a physical incident with a white male and summarily got her ass kicked.

Neither time did any of the black males around, myself included jump in. The closest it came was on the DC subway when one guy did say something to the effect of, “Somebody should beat his ass.” I turned around, looked at him and told him, “She stepped to him like a man and got her ass beat like a man.” Everyone just shrugged their shoulders and watched her get off at the next stop crying.
[/quote]

Well said.

These “what I would do” scenarios are unrealistic.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]SeanParent wrote:
Well if that is her bf then he is the biggest fucking coward I’ve ever seen on screen…hands down.

If my girlfriend was ever assaulted when she was pregnant carrying my child all fucking hell would break loose. No exageration there either…even if it meant spending a couple of years in prison thats a whole lot better then having a baby born with problems because someone disgusting excuse for a human being hit the mother. Jesus what a fucking pussy I’m actually more disgusted with the bf then with the black chicks who attacked her. And believe me I feel as though those woman should of been arrested for attempted murder [/quote]

How is he a coward for trying to protect his girlfriend?[/quote]

Well what I meant was he’s a coward for not jumping in sooner, and for letting the black girls to continue to get hits on her when he stood up. Shoulda laid them out at first swing

[quote]four60 wrote:
If your travels take you to places that can leave you open to an attack OF ANY KIND. Then it pays to at least think of or look for exists, cops, metro worker, but don’t walk thru with blinders on. What you don’t want is to wait until it happens then your shocked and yelling in anger at kids who are on your azz for shits and giggles.[/quote]

Do you remember a similar video posted months ago when a young girl was attacked? Moments before, she was standing right next to 2 metro rent-a-cops and was subsequently pushed into the street by a gang, beaten and kicked in the head. No one lifted a finger to help her.

Pathetic.

I’ll see if I can find it and post a link.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
It was hard to watch that. I’ve been at that station many times and I’d never imagined seeing anything like that there. That could have easily been me with my head in a book. That video would have been shocking anywhere, but it was especially so in that area.

I’d like to flex my internet muscles and say I’d have done something different than that man did, but I would have probably been in shock. Did I read that right that it was just kids? (I’m on an old computer and had to close the site 'cuz it was doing some weird things to my computer). Just mentally processing that random attack would have been quite difficult.

Also, as others have said, I think the real threat was the boys standing around. He probably did the smart thing in being so calm and composed.

What’s really shocking is that no one did anything. Where were the MEN?

[/quote]

I wish they would…

How did you tell he was a mark? The fact he had his head down reading a book in a high traffic area? Or was it the light skin?

[quote]SeanParent wrote:

[quote]SeanParent wrote:
Well if that is her bf then he is the biggest fucking coward I’ve ever seen on screen…hands down.

If my girlfriend was ever assaulted when she was pregnant carrying my child all fucking hell would break loose. No exageration there either…even if it meant spending a couple of years in prison thats a whole lot better then having a baby born with problems because someone disgusting excuse for a human being hit the mother. Jesus what a fucking pussy I’m actually more disgusted with the bf then with the black chicks who attacked her. And believe me I feel as though those woman should of been arrested for attempted murder [/quote]

How is he a coward for trying to protect his girlfriend?[/quote]

Well what I meant was he’s a coward for not jumping in sooner, and for letting the black girls to continue to get hits on her when he stood up. Shoulda laid them out at first swing[/quote]

Jumping in sooner, you mean jumping up when she started getting attacked? Unless you have some different cut, or you are Superman I’m not sure how he could have jumped in sooner.

I’m a grown man, I’ve been in grown man and punk ass situations. I’ve defended my women in fights from everything from bars to coming out of a comedy show. At no time, would I humor myself into thinking that I could have “laid [my woman’s five plus female attackers] out at first swing” without opening my woman to further attack, especially while pregnant.

If my woman wasn’t pregnant, I might think about it, as she could defend herself without risk of hurting the baby. But as it seems, pushing my girlfriend into the crowd and using my body as a shield seems about the best situation.

Defending yourself and defending someone else is two different games, and defending someone else in close quarters is in just a different ball park.

I mean unless the guy is carrying and is a certified marksman and can drop the attackers without removing his body from his stance that is blocking his girlfriend, he did the best he is likely able to do as a civilian.

I think I have to agree with Brother Chris here. Whenever you get in a fight there are no guarantees and things can go seriously sideways in a hurry, especially with multiples. Add to that the need to protect someone else and you’ve got a bad situation. Not that I wouldn’t want to start throwing some shots if it were my wife, because I would seriously want to. It’s just that I would lose the ability to shield my lady, putting her and baby at greater risk. I don’t think he did too badly at all, all things considered.

As for the idea of using a firearm in that situation; while lethal force may be justifiable, I’m not sure how practical it would be to try to engage in that type of close quarter, high stress shooting in such a crowded space. Even trained shooters miss often under stress. Not cool with so many other people around. Of course the “what I would do” game is pretty damn pointless, but really I can’t fault the guy for his response.

[quote]four60 wrote:

It was hard to watch that. I’ve been at that station many times and I’d never imagined seeing anything like that there. That could have easily been me with my head in a book. That video would have been shocking anywhere, but it was especially so in that area.

I’d like to flex my internet muscles and say I’d have done something different than that man did, but I would have probably been in shock. Did I read that right that it was just kids? (I’m on an old computer and had to close the site 'cuz it was doing some weird things to my computer). Just mentally processing that random attack would have been quite difficult.

Also, as others have said, I think the real threat was the boys standing around. He probably did the smart thing in being so calm and composed.

What’s really shocking is that no one did anything. Where were the MEN?

[/quote]

I wish they would…

How did you tell he was a mark? The fact he had his head down reading a book in a high traffic area? Or was it the light skin?[/quote]

I roll thru that area everyday, you have teens gathering changing trains etc. You have a large # of unsupervised kids and this goes down. I didn’t call the guy a mark. I said kids can spot a mark with ease. What made him an easy TARGET is being alone, small and no security/police. Trust me 2 spots you ALWAYS want your guard up is DC metro(which is not bad) an NY Transit.

I guess maybe it was because I lived on the orange line, but I hardly saw anything happen on the train. I never once felt in danger on the DC metro. I guess maybe because I normally traveled in that area during business hours I didn’t see it, but this is pretty shocking. MOST people on the train seemed to be reading/head in a book (admittedly, during rush hours mostly).

I guess maybe it was because I lived on the orange line, but I hardly saw anything happen on the train. I never once felt in danger on the DC metro. I guess maybe because I normally traveled in that area during business hours I didn’t see it, but this is pretty shocking. MOST people on the train seemed to be reading/head in a book (admittedly, during rush hours mostly).

[/quote]

The orange line does not have the issues that the Yellow/Green/Red lines have. Becuase they run thru DC and pic up all the after school kids. But for the most part its kids being kids taking up 20 seats talking loud and just being kids. The problems comes when they cross into older people who tell them to pipe down.

I’ve seen kids shut up at someone giving them a harsh look. But let the wrong person say something and the smallest one in the group will feel like its there time to shine and start talking back. If the person does not grab the bait and just let them rant it goes noplace. If they feed into it. It gets worse.