Lumbar Tropism and Lifting

I went to the chiropractor today and had some x-rays taken. I found out that I had two problems. Hopefully I remember the names correctly.

First is an AI-PI (anterior-posterior?) tilt in my hips. One side was tilted forward and the other backwards. I got that adjusted and I just need to quit being lazy and watch my posture more because I sit all day.

The other issue is I have tropism near the base of my spine. I couldn’t find a webpage that provides a good description. Basically the small joint on one side of the vertebrae faces front to back and on the other side it’s rotated left to right. The result is limited flexibility around the base of my spine.

My question is how does this affect what exercises I should and should not do? Is there anything I should avoid? I also have a hard time doing traditional deadlifts because I can’t seem to get into position without my lower back rounding a little. Could that be related to this and should I just stick with a wider stance on deadlifts?

Had time to do a little research after work. I believe the official name is Facet Tropism. It is when the facet joint on one side of a vertebrae is oriented differently than on the other side.

I haven’t had any luck finding a cause or what to do about it. So any resources in that area would be appreciated. I think the only issue is increased risk when rotating the lumbar spine. I’m due for an annual physical soon anyway so maybe I can learn more when I get that done.

[quote]Mojig wrote:
Had time to do a little research after work. I believe the official name is Facet Tropism. It is when the facet joint on one side of a vertebrae is oriented differently than on the other side.

I haven’t had any luck finding a cause or what to do about it. So any resources in that area would be appreciated. I think the only issue is increased risk when rotating the lumbar spine. I’m due for an annual physical soon anyway so maybe I can learn more when I get that done.[/quote]

I would be a little more careful especially with any rotation type of work as you said. It will limit motion at that joint and could lead to some earlier problems at that joint level and at the joints above an below.