155x5
205x3
245x1
295x1
335x1 (3 plates)

V: 265x5
265x5
265x2 (left hammy cramp again wtf)

I did some body squats with it no problem. I tried the deadlift de weight at 185+bands no way. It was good until it had to strain then it felt super tight and ready to pop. No pushing it. Wtf? I may not survive this program. If I was wise I would just shut it down deload and then test…

Edit: still at the gym when I wrote this.

I was not satisfied with this day. So I finished with what I could do and didn’t settle for what my body decided it would let me do…

Bench leg raise hip thrust:
X10
X20
X20

Rdls: (kept these light)
95x20
95x20
95x20

Single leg extension:
50x10
50x10

Single leg curls:
50x5
50x5

SSB standing good morning:
65x10
115x10
115x10
115x10

Called it here…never satisfied!

5 Likes

Happy birthday! Sleep is the best gift of all!

1 Like

Neither am I but sometimes you have to let your body have its way. Keep working on the hamstring stuff. The glute bridges are a good start. If you have a phys ball then try leg curls with that (same as the glute bridge but you roll the ball in and out).

I’m ready to do some work and I can’t even squat body weight without hip pain. I can’t sleep without shoulder pain. I’m falling the F apart! My only option is to listen and back off. If I push it then I’ll be getting reacquainted with both of my surgeons. Ain’t nobody got time for that!

2 Likes

Highlights from today…

2 Likes

07/21/18– Swiss press for the win!

In:6
Out:6-7

Warmup: band stuff

ME: 5RM Swiss widest handles
Giant: reverse grip row 135x5// Russians x5

35x20
SS
55x10
85x5
125x5
145x5
175x5
195x5
215x5 (had 225 if I wanted but didn’t)

V: misloaded the bar with 195 instead of 175
195x14 (this sucked)
195x9 (figured out the bar was not loaded right)
175x11

DE: OHP 95x3 (too heavy)
Dropped to 65x3 9sets emom

No accessories due to my boy having work and I was down with that…

5 Likes

After this I plan on doing 3-4 weeks of unilateral work to correct any imbalances and to get a break from heavy as barbell work. Win win? Maybe a small 3-4 week cut also to trim the fat so to speak…

I’ll work core like a monster during that time too…

2 Likes

No. It’s not a win. It sucks :laughing:

Double the reps on everything. I’ve set my GSS&S program and the #1 lift on leg day is Rear Foot Elevated Split Squats (RFESS). I have box squats as #3 but I might scrap it. We’ll see how everything goes.

1 Like

I’ve never been a huge fan of unilateral stuff but I’m for sure looking forward to some high volume light pulls in a few weeks, so much heavy pressing in this program so I know the shoulders will be happy.

Is the heavy stuff getting to you a little bit, you said you had more on the swiss bar but didn’t want it. The program was for sure fun at first but going for a daily rep maxes every workout starts to take its toll on you.

Was also considering a minicut like you were. Seeing an ab vein or two might be nice before getting chunky over the winter.

1 Like

It certainly has cured my go heavy every session urges.

It has been a great program and I’ve learned a ton about modifying mid program, knowing when to say enough for today. I know how deep I can take fatigue and what the outcome is when I keep pushing.

Honestly all the heavy squats, deads, presses have been awesome and my numbers should shoot up 30-50lbs a lift in 9 weeks…which is good.

I want to do something lighter to get the drive to lift heavy again. And really dial my form in on the new lift levels. I’m thinking 3 weeks unilateral work then 531 to Xmas. Then I may push heavy again. The conjugate system works. I do better on 6 week cycles than 9.

I’ll post a full review in a few weeks with comparison numbers of body comp and lifts.

4 Likes

I’m telling you - try GSS&S! If you run it conservatively then you’ll increase the weight by 140 lbs over 12 weeks on leg exercises.

For me (if healthy), my goal for squats would be 375 lbs. My week one weight for sets of eight would probably be 215 lbs.

Would that be light enough for you? I like adding 10 lbs per week and 20 when I change phases. The reps drop from one phase to the next.

Think about it. NO MISSED REPS! NO PR SETS!

I never came close to grinding a rep of Deadlift and added 50 lbs to my PR…coming off of surgery!

2 Likes

Got a link to the program?

Bit late,. But happy birthday you Strong Hog!

1 Like

I can’t link it. It’s on ThibArmy.

I found it on tnation. Thanks bud. It looks interesting. I could set those amrap sets at a number goal and stay with the weights until I hit say 10-15 reps of 225 bench or 10 reps of 405 Dead.

All good my man! Thanks!

If you’re talking about my program then that’s not the one. There aren’t any AMRAP sets. Were you talking about the 5/3/1 AMRAP sets?

Oh, and I just sent you a link through Instagram. Found a workaround to the link thing :wink:

1 Like

07/23/18— Deads didn’t kill me

In:6
Out:7

First day back to work for me! We got to the gym at 5:30 and hit it.

Warmup

ME: 1rm Deficit deads
Giant: KBS x5// Banded an crunch x10

SS
135x10
185x5
225x3
275x3
315x1
365x1
405x1 (doh no straps)
465x0 (mixed grip got 4” off the floor. Didn’t push too hard with the recent hammy cramp issues but it is there when I want to go hard)

V: 315x5x3sets

DE: Squats 135x3 emom 10min

No accessories

4 Likes

What!? Back to work for school?

Yes. Football coaching duties. Getting gear cleaned up for the kids, water equipment

3 Likes

Now that I’m all grown up and I’ve played a couple of college sports I realize how out of shape we were for both school sports. We really didn’t work very hard :laughing:

You could do so much for the kids with simple conditioning. It’s too bad you can’t force them to start earlier so you could gradually ramp up their conditioning. We just started with two a days and it seemed like they were trying to cram a month of conditioning into a week.

We lifted during the summer but it was at your own pace and there wasn’t any structured conditioning work. I do more on my own now.

2 Likes