Losthog—2018 First year

I picked up some emergen-c electrolytes packets today. I couldn’t remember which ones you suggested. Yesterday I drank cup (16-20iz) after cup, after cup of just plain water. In the am I took about a tspn of table salt just to get my sodium levels up and to hold water more. Then in the afternoon same with the salt. Finally I got my piss clear again.

Then this morning yellow again. Something is up with my body right now…not sure what but something is off…

And I’m not scared of yellow piss, but it is not normal for me to see what I’m seeing. And coupled with some of the other things going on in workouts, etc…it’s a concern nothing more at this time. I’ll dial the diet in tighter and then add the electrolytes and see

1 Like

Makes good sense. I’m thinking how I could do this for my OHP seated pin press…:thinking:

I usually get pedialyte, but I assume its the same thing just a different brand.

You know your body better than anyone else, so if you feel like something is off then follow your instincts and try to figure it out.

What else are you taking? Any vit B or anything, some will make your piss glow.
As for hydration throughout lifting, I usually feel flat towards the end of my sessions, especially after heavy squats or deads, but picked up a tub of BCAA from Aldi and thought I’d give it a crack and it’s worked wonders, I feel much better throughout lifting and afterwards, and it tastes bloody good.

2 Likes

Aldi rocks. My one regret is not buying the wheel clamps when they had them years ago when I was at uni. I’d have had a field day in the ressies car park.

1 Like

@losthog I’ve found around three litres of fluid a day is a minimum for me, four if I train. If you’re taking in that or more I wouldn’t worry too much about yellow urine.

One possibility that occurs to me is that with the increased electrolytes you simply put in what your body needed to refill its reserves so you’re not actually eliminating much of what you drank - hence the yellow.

Another little telltale I’ve found is dehydration gives me headaches and dry lips. Again, if you aren’t experiencing that you may not be dehydrated.

Just a couple of thoughts.

2 Likes

Up the salt intake. When I was in really hot countries I used to eat salt packets by themselves because if you drank too much water without enough salt you’d flush out all the nutrients from your body. Need that salt to hold on to what you’re putting in.

3 Likes

Yes some vitamins but this off color is not a vitamin glow…

1 Like

When’s the last time you had a full workup?

The body will bark when it’s not happy with what you’re doing. You’re not supposed to pass out when you train either.

Probably worth a look.

1 Like

Also when was the last time you had a few days to a week off lifting, pushing hard etc? That can make a world of difference sometimes

2 Likes

Taken any hits to the kidneys, that can add a little blood to your urine and make it turn a little brown !!

1 Like

Deload is coming in two weeks. We just finished week 7 of the grind. I’m ready for a cut back…this is the most fatigue I’ve carried into a deload.

3 Likes

Double murph.

Kudos for sticking with the grind. I had the realization that I don’t like to go more than three weeks on one training program or phase.

Midway through week three I find myself hitting the mental wall. I stop enjoying it and it becomes a grind to take care of business. Luckily there are tons of programs that operate in three week waves.

GSS&S is still my favorite but these full body circuits are enjoyable. There’s something incredibly primal and manly about them.

1 Like

07/16/18– Dead on arrival

Warmups—- these sucked decided today would be more of a recovery type workout than balls out. Just exhausted

ME: 5RM deficit deads
Giants: KBS x5// banded ab crunch
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x5 (hammy was still good capped it here)

V: 225x 10, 225x10, 225x10

DE: squat 135 bar weight + green bands
X3 emom 10 min got all these and really used it as a form session to feel things out. I was scheduled to put 195 on the bar but it wasn’t happening today.

Done and zero accessories. Hoping that with better sleep and diet I can really crush it next week.

Adding electrolytes has helped. Fluid levels are better and weight is up :flushed: 267…

My lower body is still crushed from last weeks deads and SSB squat sessions.

7 Likes

Hey, haven’t been on here as much since I got home last week. For the birthday challenge (if I didn’t miss it already) try this -

https://www.t-nation.com/training/test-your-metal-introducing-valeria

Tried this several years ago (when it was new), and had to make some serious mods for my strength levels at the time (deadlift weight was a level below everything else).

Another good one is the Operator Ugly PT test from Mountain Athlete - it’s their idea of what a SOF PT test should look like, if you really wanted to get a full physical picture of a candidate.

As to the yellow piss, how yellow? As in, darker than straw colored but not brown yet? What has your non-exercise activity level looked like, any decently strenuous yard work, house work, that kind of thing? Best bet is to stick with the heavy hydration you’ve been doing, someone mentioned drinking too much water and flushing out all the nutrients - that takes an inordinate amount of water to accomplish. As in, you almost have to be trying to induce that for it to happen (assuming a healthy system).

Otherwise, looking good hog. You’re getting to where I was when I decided to bail - I was sleeping like crap, felt tired constantly, and (as y’all saw) was racking up injuries like it was cool (and it’s really not). If you’re enjoying the program, then keep at it. I wasn’t, so I switched.

1 Like

Thx for the input! I decided just to keep on program for today. This som bench is trying to kill me right now. Just finishing it will be an accomplishment. We have 6 workouts left.

07/18/18- my birthday :birthday: OHP

Warmup banded stuff

ME: 3rm pin press at forehead
Giant: banded pull-up x3/ /paloff pressx5
45x10
SS
55x5
65x5
95x5
135x3
155x3
185x1 (not today)

V:( giant sets were done just volume)
135x10, 135x8, 135x6, 135x3

DE: bar weight 135 + red mini doubled (+100-120)
1 set of 3 (haf dropped to 95 bar weight)
X3 emom 9 sets

Acc: (wasn’t going to do any)
Lat pull down: 100x15, 100x15, 100x15
Face pull: 90x15, 110x15, 110x15
Banded tri pushdowns…

Highlights

8 Likes

Happy birthday ya strong bastard! Don’t you have like 4 days of 440 lb deadlifts to do?

3 Likes

Happy birthday Hog :slight_smile:
Hope it’s a good one

1 Like