Looking for Opinions

OK, and good luck to you.

My memory is shot to hell, anyway.

Post some workouts so I know for a fact you’re not tanning or whatever.

[quote]Colin Wilson wrote:

On a side note Cap I’m not sure where you were going with the age thing. When I started power lifting at age 40 I put 100 pounds on my bench in two years. This year I shaved a full second off my 40 time when i started training for football at the age of 44.

Yes, I realize I cannot recover or build like a 20 something but there are gains to be made at any age. The injury thing is really non-relevant. It happens and it is the risk everyone takes when competing in anything.

[/quote]

I have a friend that I used to lift with wen I was a kid ( 10 years old ), he was benching around 500 way back when. Quietly,by himself at the YMCA. Never got the recognition. Just lifted to lift.

He stopped lifting a few years ago because he had a heart attack due to creatine. He said that the first creatines were pretty hard on you. Anyway thats what he blames. When I started lifting again I wasnt sure if I could do much due to age.

He kept assuring me that I could pass my previous level because of my age. Well I have put well over 120lb on my bench in 7 months. He has seen my gains and started lifting again, at 76 years old. He is now reping 150 on his bench and just dead lifted 225! So maybe hes right.

Sooo GO FOR IT MAN!
God Bless Lonnie

[quote]63Galaxie wrote:

He stopped lifting a few years ago because he had a heart attack due to creatine. He said that the first creatines were pretty hard on you.

[/quote]

This is a common misconception even in the medical community. High levels of an enzyme, called creatine kinase, are found in the blood after a heart attack or muscle damage. People who take statins have an elevated CK level, due to the muscle inflammation that statins cause.

Creatine monohydrate, the supplement, has no effect on the heart, and is sometimes given IV to a patient who has just suffered a heart attack. It’s also given IV during open heart surgery so the heart muscle recovers better and faster. This creatine is good for you, and cannot damage your heart.

One is an enzyme.
One is a dietary supplement.
Same name. Big difference.

Make sure you keep your creatines straight.

[quote]barryjenkins00 wrote:
Post some workouts so I know for a fact you’re not tanning or whatever.[/quote]

I was going to skip the boring rehab stuff and wait till I was doing something worth posting. I am going to start monday on the work outs in these;

to fix my back and Glutes. Trust me I am in the gym and I feel allot better since I stopped getting pounded on! LOL

Thanx Yo Mamma, good info.

[quote]Capacity wrote:
It doesn’t. You don’t have to get fat to gain strength. But cut your BF% (even more) and bring your bench up? Hm. This has never helped my strength increase beyond a certain level.
[/quote]

I just disagree here. Strength is a matter of proper training, sleeping, and nutrition. If My maint cals are say 2800 and I drop it to 2600 and get clean, I will get stronger. I don’t need to bring in 3000 calories a day and go into excess to build strength.

Good point, but I never said being Older was beneficial to improving my bench what i said was that at any age you can make gains even 2 pounds on a PR is a good gain.

Yes i will have to give you that. I never trained for a 40 time in my life and not having to lug around allot of excess bodyfat did help.

I have to call bullshit here. Somewhere deep inside you wanted to beat this guy. You tried to beat him and if the chance would have come up you would have. You can’t help it your a competitor and we try to win everything we do. It is our nature…

Thanks for the lively debate! Oh I’m 247 now down 3 more pounds…

Fixing what needs it and moving on seems like a good idea.

hard to reach your destination on only 3 wheels.

[quote]Dolfinlvr65 wrote:

hard to reach your destination on only 3 wheels.
[/quote]

Race ya!