Lifting and Leaning Out

1/22/21

Endurance Day

Rucked for 69 minutes with 30 lbs.

Finished with week 5 of Base Building. Will be adding back barbell work next week along with High Intensity Conditioning.

2 Likes

1/24/21

TB Base Building
Week Six, Day One

Really had no idea where to start on weight with these lifts so I warmed up to a heavy single on squats.

Squat - Built up to a 300 lb single. Then…
3 x 5 x 185 lbs

The new gym I go to has a Swiss Bar so I wanted to try out a couple of lifts with it to see how my shoulder liked them.

Did three sets of OHP and one of decline press. The OHP felt better with a Swiss Bar but probably not good enough to incorporate it into my cluster for Max Strength days. More disappointing was the decline bench press with the swiss bar. I really expected to use this as my upper body pushing movement in my cluster. It wasn’t discomfort free and it felt awkward with the swiss bar.

I then did three sets of Hang Power Snatch.

1 x 5 x 45
2 x 5 x 65

Sumo Deadlift

Worked up to a 305 lb single.

Over the next three weeks I’ll use a training max of 270 for squats and 275 for DL.

Mulling over several options for my template and cluster now.

Three things are certain: Back Squats, Sumo Deadlift, and Inverted Rows (transitioning to weighted Inverted rows and possibly chin Ups or pull ups).

I may add the Hang Power Snatch to my cluster.

So option A might be Operator with:

Squat, Inverted Rows, Hang Power Snatch
Squat, Inverted Rows, Hang Power Snatch
Squat, Hang Power Snatch, Sumo Deadlift

I would then try to frequently add Landmine Press to HIC days using Black Protocol.

Option B might be Operator with:

Squat, Inverted Rows, Sumo Deadlift

Then I would rotate through Landmine Press, Hang Power Snatch, and KB Swings in HIC days between hill Sprints ect…

Option C might be Operator with:

Squat, Inverted Rows, Landmine Press
Squat, Inverted Rows, Landmine Press
Squat, Landmine Press, Sumo Deadlift

The one caveat with this is that the Landmines would be done at lower weights and higher reps than the template calls for.

Option D might be Fighter Bangkok with:

With a SE day including Goblet Squats, DB BOR, KB Swings, Landmine Press, and Hanging Knee Raises (transitioning to Hanging Leg Raises)

I also have some boxing equipment including a heavy bag that would give upper body pushing muscle groups some work.

I have not yet read TB Mass Protocall or TB for the Ageless Athlete. Not sure if there would be a more optimal template in one of those books as I am in my mid 40’s.

1 Like

1/25/21

HIC Day

Indoor Power Intervals

Assault Bike

Two Minutes
Three Minutes Rest
One Minute
Three Minutes Rest
One Minute
Three Minutes Rest
One Minute
Three Minutes Rest
One Minute

The Indoor Power Intervals are intended to be five rounds of two minutes of near max effort followed by 3-5 minutes rest. The basic version is one minute each working towards 90 seconds and then two minutes.

1 Like

FUCK OPTIMAL

There is no optimal for us old fucks. There is only turning up and clocking in.

‘Optimal’ is for 20somethings who are still stuck to their mum’s tit and have a fantasy job they gave themselves.

All jokes aside, MP is great

1 Like

I may run Operator for a while and then transition to OMS longterm. Though I am also tempted a bit by Fighter Bangkok.

1/27/21

MS

Squat 3 x 5 x 190 lbs

Inverted Rows 11/5/5

Landmine Press

Built up to a single of bar + 105 lbs. Then followed by 3 x 5 x bar + 70 lbs

I wanted to work up to heavier weight for me on the LM to see how it felt on the shoulder and to get a baseline to base percentages off of. In the past going heavier aggravated the shoulder somewhat. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t seem to have any issues this time. I don’t know if it was from doing so many of them I’m more steady in the movement and have improved the technique. I’m more mindful of keeping my elbows tucked in which I think helps and I seemed to have less movement off track, so to speak. So I think I’ll use this as one of my cluster exercises on max strength days.

1/28/21

HIC

Short Hills

Approximately 30 second duration for this hill. Sprint to top. Walk to bottom for rest.

5 repetitions.

I live at the bottom of a hill and in a neighborhood with lots of hills. So I expect hill sprints and variations to be a staple.

1 Like

1/29/21

Endurance

Rucked for approximately 61 minutes with 30 lbs for approximately 2.6 miles or so. On this route I hit about 7 hills.

1 Like

1/31/21

TB Base Building Week Seven

MS

Squat 3 x 5 x 215 lbs

Landmine Press 3 x 5 x 75 (not including the bar resistance)

Sumo Deadlift 3 x 5 x 225

Been experiencing some Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles Tendonitis and am trying to do more stretching and strengthening in lower legs and feet. Added in some seated calf raises at the end.

1 Like

2/1/21

HIC

Indoor Power Intervals

Assault Bike

90 sec
3 min rest
90 sec
3 min rest
90 sec
3 min rest
60 sec
3 min rest
60 sec

Hang Power Snatches

1 x 5 x 75 lbs

1 Like

2/3/21

MS

Squat 3 x 5 x 215

Landmine Press 3 x 5 x 75

Inverted Rows 3 x 7

1 Like

2/4/21

HIC

Short Hills

5 reps

Finished with 25 KB Swings with 39 lbs

2 Likes

2/5/21

Endurance

Had some family stuff going on yesterday morning so I had to cut the session short by just a bit.

Rucked for 50 minutes with 30 lbs. Did get a good sprint in at work responding to a code.

Completed Week Seven of Base Building. One more to go.

1 Like

2/7/21

Week 8 of TB Base Building

MS

Squat 3 x 3 x 245 lbs

Two Handed Landmine Press 3 x 3 x 85

Sumo DL 3 x 3 x 250

1 Like

2/8/21

HIC

Indoor Power Intervals

Assault Bike

90 sec
3 minutes rest
90 sec
3 minutes rest
90 sec
3 minutes rest
90 sec
3 minutes rest
60 sec

Two Handed KB Swings 30 x 45 lbs

1 Like

2/9/21

Recovery Day

Took it easy today. Took the dog on a 15 minute walk and did some stretching.

2/10/21

MS

Squat 3 x 3 x 245 lbs

Inverted Rows 3 x 7 x BW

Two Handed Landmine Press 3 x 3 x 85

2/11/21

HIC

Inclement weather today so I did another round of Indoor Power Intervals on the Assault Bike.

90 sec
3 minutes rest
90 sec
3 minutes rest
90 sec
3 minutes rest
90 sec
3 minutes rest
90 sec

Good effort @cisco_red mate. Proud of you man

1 Like

Appreciate it!