Layer 1 RM

Hello CT: Big fan of your work here on TN. Just started the layer program last week and have a question about the ramp to 1 RM. On my 2nd bench workout, the clusters and HDL improved dramatically from 1st workout, my question is should one try to improve the ramp to 1RM each session, or use a baseline max for a period of time?

Next question is how long to stay on the program before changing methods (Ramp to max, 90% clusters, 80% extended sets)? I’m 45 years old, training for general strength improvement.
If this has already been addressed, my apologies - just please point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

[quote]Grove wrote:
Hello CT: Big fan of your work here on TN. Just started the layer program last week and have a question about the ramp to 1 RM. On my 2nd bench workout, the clusters and HDL improved dramatically from 1st workout, my question is should one try to improve the ramp to 1RM each session, or use a baseline max for a period of time?

Next question is how long to stay on the program before changing methods (Ramp to max, 90% clusters, 80% extended sets)? I’m 45 years old, training for general strength improvement.
If this has already been addressed, my apologies - just please point me in the right direction.
Thanks.[/quote]

You base the cluster and HDL weight on the result achieved in the ramp that day.

Most people can stick with the original layout for 4-6 weeks.

Thanks CT. What type of program change do you recommend after the 4-6 weeks, to continue strength progress?