Know Any Female Psychopaths? What to Look For

A new study says female psychopaths are more common than we think because studies have long failed to identify them.

The gist is, the tests for psychopathy are geared toward males because there are more psychopathic males than females. But since the standard testing looked for male traits and behaviors, women have been underdiagnosed.

Male psychopaths have a certain set of tools, which often involve physical domination through violence, bullying, and threats along with the usual psychological tactics. Females have a different set of tools, usually more subtle:

Now the experts think there are 5 times as many female psychopaths as they once thought.

“Psychopaths are driven by a need to have power over and control other people via whatever resources they have available to them,” says the lead researcher.

So, based on this, have you ever ran into any female psychopaths?

My understanding is that psychopaths are incapable of actually feeling real connection to or care for other people. I would say that many women have abusive and manipulative tendencies, but I don’t get the impression that these women literally don’t care about other people. Maybe they are good at faking it.

3 Likes

Yes, lack of empathy and remorse are two of the cornerstones (along with the overall compulsion for power and control over others). And some folks can display a few psychopathic traits without being actual psychopaths. I think that in the official tests, you have to score a certain number of traits before you get the diagnosis.

I guess we could say that flirting with a guy to get something she wants doesn’t make her a psychopath if she later feels bad about duping the poor dude. But feeling no empathy/remorse about it AND adding the 6 other traits above = :triangular_flag_on_post: I’m sure there’s a consistent pattern of behaviors as well, probably noticeable from childhood.

The study also mentioned “relational aggression,” which I had to look up. That involves behaviors aimed at damaging or manipulating relationships, social status, or reputation of others. It manifests through covert means like spreading rumors, social exclusion, manipulation of social alliances, and undermining others’ relationships or achievements. (Usually we use another term to describe women who do that.)

Based on that, I don’t think I haven’t.

I don’t know about psychopaths, but I have encountered at least one “Maneater.” And that was during the time that song by Hall and Oates was being played to remind me of my narrow escape.

Yep. I can think of one immediately who displays all of those traits And gets physically violent.

5 Likes

I worked very closely with a woman I suspect was a psychopath. It is the one and only time I’ve gone to HR with concerns about another employee.

She checked all of the boxes in your list with her behavior at work except for violent language. I found her to be partially competent at best but she had a lot of people fooled into thinking she was some kind of mastermind.

She would manipulate people by exaggerating the complexity of what she actually did while simultaneously acting indignant anytime she was asked to clarify what she was talking about. As if she was a quantum physicist being asked to explain gravity at the Planck scale to a room of drunken louts. She would rub her temples and shake her head at straightforward and pertinent questions, always acting as if an answer was impossible because there were details beyond the understanding of anyone but her.

The problem with her delusion is that she was in charge of production planning at the widget factory, which is a straightforward task compared to something like particle physics. If you can’t explain how your production planning thought processes works it is because you don’t have a coherent thought process OR you have other motivations for shrouding your work in mystery.

She believed in the power of her own bullshit, that’s for sure. She also claimed to have an array of rare medical conditions that always allowed her to both play victim and accuse others of harming her health. She found it reasonable to accuse people of emanating chemical odors that made her so uncomfortable she would need to work from home. Odors only she could detect, which gave her a bizarre excuse for all kinds of wild behavior towards other people.

She was a very bizarre woman who I found to be very professionally threatening, but her strategies were successful for a long time. She had a six figure salary for over a decade at that company before new management recognized the situation and took action.

3 Likes

yes, I have. They are quite common if you have ever worked law enforcement.

1 Like

I think this is just an attempt to over diagnose people. More medication, more therapy, etc. Just like ADHD, ADD, Bi-Polar, etc.

Everyone wants to be weird/special/screwed up somehow. Just watch the numbers go up. Like they did with everything else.

The traits described in the article are more commonly associated with low agreeableness and neuroticism rather than psychopathy specifically.

“Utilizing only the first part of the LSRP, which concentrates on detachment, selfishness, and manipulation, Dr. Boddy’s research unveils a startling statistic: approximately 23% of men and 12% to 13% of women exhibit enough psychopathic traits to be considered a concern for society.”

Reaching.

I wouldn’t be surprised if these “psychopathic tendencies” were attempted to be medicated away, you know, for safety.

Dr. Clive Boddy, an Anglia Ruskin University professor who specializes in “corporate psychopathy”

However, the term “corporate psychopathy” does not imply that these individuals have diagnosed psychopathy. It refers to the observation that certain traits associated with psychopathy can be advantageous/rewarded in corporate environments.

I think also in the higher ups of decent sized companies. Some are there because they are good at what they do, some because they are ruthless and manipulative. I don’t think it is a majority or anything, just that they (psychopaths) are over represented there.

Was this with mostly men? Just an observation, but I never really hear guys complain about other people’s perfume or scents they have on them. It seems fairly common for women to detect smells that I and it seems like other men can’t smell, and be bothered by them. IDK.

I know of a woman that fits most of the list. I still don’t know if I’d say she is a psychopath. Just seems like the list is things that are fairly common with the exception of a few of the items.

I’m with you on the overdiagnosis issue and the thing where everyone these days seems to want a label, even a negative self-diagnosed condition.

But right now, there isn’t a specific drug treatment approved for psychopathy itself. Some get on mood stabilizers, antidepressants, etc. but that doesn’t really work for them.

Most seem to think that psychopathy is a “born that way” condition, most live normal lives, and the bad ones arise when their probably-congenital condition meets childhood trauma.

But you’re right, let’s not confuse actual psychopathy with a shitty personality.

Yes, but not exclusively and we’re probably 80 percent male staffed, so more opportunities to harass men. It seemed to coincide with her overall mood. Despite not wearing anything stronger than deodorant I was accused several times of wearing chemical scents to irritate her. I found this particularly odd since I’ve always used the same products. I don’t switch up my detergent or deodorant.

The complaints were not because of cologne or perfume, they were because she was a crazy bitch.

2 Likes

Smell tolerance seems a new sensitivity intolerance. I pretty much don’t get it. My first few years at my career employer was a power plant on an industrial road. We were next door to a paper mill. The smell of that mill when the breeze or wind came our way, which was a prevailing wind direction, as pretty rancid. Everyone disliked it. No body went home because of it.

Granted the only women who worked that at that time (1971 through 1980) were in the front office. The air conditioned office area still had some of the paper mill smell. None of the women went home because the odor was so bad (and it was.)

1 Like

I am only going off my experiences. I’ve heard from women a few times that various scents bothered them, or that they get an upset stomach from certain scents. My wife is one of these women. She has asked to switch seats with me to avoid scents she doesn’t like. I’ve never heard this from men.

I can think of an episode of the show The Office where Phyllis gets a new perfume from her husband, and the other women seem to have an issue with it, made them nauseous.

I think there is some research out that indicates that women can smell things a bit better than men, and are also more bothered by different scents.

I know someone. She is a bi-polar drug addict, alcoholic, and a pathological liar. She always claims to be the victim in order to draw sympathy. “He did this; she did that” deflecting from her when she was the actual cause of problems / issues. That’s how she draws people in.

She regards others to be used, and doesn’t feel sympathy, empathy, guilt, or shame. She fakes these emotions in order to take advantage of weaker people. And quite often, she loses contact with reality. Fantasy is reality to her. Lying, stealing, conning, manipulating is a game to her.

What she did to members of her own family was criminal, but family being family, no one wanted to bring charges. When she gets done using / abusing friends and others,
she moves on and makes new ones to take advantage of, sometimes moving away. And the pattern repeats.

She is a self-made sociopath / psychopath. She started drinking and doing drugs at an early age. Her brain is damaged and never fully developed. Now in her 60’s, she still talks like she is in high school. “Let’s party. Let’s get effed up.” She refuses help and claims she does not a have a problem. She is a pox on humanity and is a complete waste of human life. There is reason some species in the animal kingdom eat their young. That would have been too good for her.

The difference with the lady I’m talking about is that nobody but her could detect the “chemical” (her word to describe them) scents she claimed were causing her so much discomfort that she couldn’t be physically present.

There was also lots of…

She was terrible to work with, but some of her antics were downright hilarious because they were so absurd.

2 Likes

I obviously you didn’t know my dad. He was extremely sensitive to perfumes/ cologne. It would actually cause an allergic reaction similar to an asthma attack. If

Though I am not one who likes to assign terms for people because I believe that should be reserved for mental-health professionals, I believe I have worked with several women who seemed psychopathic, most notably a former administrator in a skilled nursing facility.

She would sit at the head of a conference-room table during meetings, wild-eyed and head shaking, pound her fist on the table, point her finger at a person next to her, yell and berate him or her, and repeat this for everyone in attendance.

Like so:
(Pounds fist.)
“You! Rararara! I f—g told you….! You better…! The state (surveyors) is gonna look at this! Ra-ra-ra!”
(Pounds fist, moves onto next person.)
“And you! Rararara! You better make sure….! I got a call from family members…!”
(Pounds fist, moves onto next person.)
“You! Rararara! Did you check…! You better make sure…!”

And on and on and on, until everyone was terrorized like battered dogs.

She one time called me into her office, showed me an example of my work that was acceptable (I knew my profession better than she did), and screamed, “What the fuck is this?!”
She routinely lied to people, and I think she did so while knowing the people she spoke to knew she was lying. She once did that to me. I thought to myself, “You know that I know you’re lying.” At this point of my life, I would say that.

More than once as interviewees she wasn’t fond of left her office, who seemed to be nice people I wouldn’t mind working with, she put up the L sign with her fingers against her forehead and would silently mouth, “loser.”

She would not encourage, but demand, false documentation, even while Department of Health workers were conducting annual surveys, double billing, and request that therapists urge residents or healthcare proxies to have those in their care to stay longer than needed, to bill more from insurance, even when there was no potential or further care was unneeded. Who the hell knows how much fraud was committed at that place.

She also would abruptly flip in her feelings towards other people. You know, one day like them, the next day hate them. There were several good employees who were fired, left the workplace in tears, and not one person could make any sense of the matter.

She also sometimes would say unprofessional stuff to employees, like, “Are you f—g retarded/stupid?”

To this day, she contacts my friend who she trained to be an administrator at another facility under the same ownership here and there, and once attempted to get him involved in some legal matter that he has no obligation to.

She was eventually fired by the owner.

All kinds of wackos, male and female, worked in that place.
A female speech therapist I shared an office with flipped out after I politely requested she not do something, namely not speak to me like I was a moron, though I did not word it like that. She immediately slammed her desk, said, “You’ve been speaking down to me ever since you got here,” and then went on a five-minute tirade I zoned out on as I did not know what the hell she was talking about. I don’t talk down to people and had minimal dealings with her during the three weeks I had worked there so far.

This one eventually got fired too, as she would evaluate people who had no potential and falsely documented and billed over and over and over again. Someone warned me about her, and while gossiping to me (I don’t ask for gossip) told me she went on a date with a doctor who worked there, and during the date, suspected he was amused by a scantily-clad woman on a television screen in the restaurant, and publicly flipped out on him!

She also was a routine liar.

1 Like