KD13 Not Very Strongman

I shot blasted half of my plates ages ago but didn’t end up painting them! I’m gonna finish the job and try and get my old mismatched plates looking less like dog shit. I have York, weider, bodybuild, domyos, unbranded…some of which must be 25 years old!

Doing this weider set first, for us in the UK who calculate in kg these are a headache. My top over warm up set on bench last night was 101.85kg, bit more if you add a little for the rust :rofl:

Going in

Blasted back to bare metal

Going to get paint tonight.

2 Likes

Ta da!

6 Likes

They’re a thing of beauty! Great to see you back on here logging!

1 Like

Thanks buddy, good to see you around too :+1:

1 Like

Plates are getting there, half are fully done. Been doing them few at a time so it doesn’t interupt my training.

Upper 2 is the only session I’m struggling with, military press is not improving at all and not gaining any reps on chin ups either. Next week I will make sure to have 2 rest days before upper 2. And if that doesn’t help I’m going to have to drop the weight down.

Ran my first 5k in a while, 22.40. Which I’m happy with considering the extra weight and not getting any training runs in.

4 Likes

Had a bit of a gym sort out yesterday. Moved the shelves up on my diy dumbell rack so that my curl bar can be stored underneath and then moved it to the other side of the gym. This has opened up a bigger workspace infront of my rack. Redesigned my landmine base. And more plate painting.

Next jobs are…storage for belts and bands, bar storage and im planning on making a belt squat attachment, never used one but think it may be cool to play with.

Its getting there!

3 Likes

Looks like a pretty awesome space mate.

1 Like

Looks really good.

1 Like

All lifts moved in the right direction this week, overhead press still not convincingly better but added a rep to the amrap and the 50% set so better than nothing.

Ordered an international (rackable) 6ft barbell, was pretty difficult finding rackable 6ft 1" but mirafit had one. Will need to get a couple of extra 20kg plates so on the lookout on marketplace.

Booked a holiday this week for 6 weeks time, having a bit of a battle in my mind as to if i should cut a little for it :grinning:

2 Likes

Weight still on the up, slowed down to gaining 1 or 2lb a week, appetite is through the roof. Was going to take a week off but i seem to be feeling less beat up this week and lifts still progressing so will keep riding it for now. Ive swapped front squat for goblet squat for a week or so but thats the only changes ive made. Absolutely loving the cable pully for lat pull downs and have started doing cable crunchs with it too for some heavy ab work.

Not much on the running front but will get going with that again soon.

4 Likes

Last post i said i was going to keep riding it, but the return of football after 2 weeks off and a couple of 5ks, together with a dose of life stresses had me crash pretty hard! So took the break i needed. Full week off and now a week of easier sessions to prepare for getting back on it properly.

Ran a tough 5k race and came 13th out of 170 which i was pleased with, did not feel overly fit though and the hills were killer!

2 Likes

Your superior genetics are really starting to show through mate.

Yeah defo man, they just took time. Glad i knew i had them or i would have wasted 15 years.

1 Like

A quick question, if you don’t mind. I’ve never seennyou discuss nutrition much, what’s your approach here?

Im a highish carb kinda guy. My problem has always been strugling to gain weight and the solution has been consuming a fair amount of carbs. Its a very basic approach of eating good whole foods 90% of the time and i just adjust carbs up and down depending on if trying to gain or lose, my approach to nutrition is very relaxed.

I will log down a typical day currenty when i get a sec.

1 Like

Breakfast 1 7.30
Cereal (more about eating with son before school)

breakfast 2 9.00
2 scoop shake, shot of olive oil and a granola bar

meal 11.00
Pack of rice, turkey steak, veg. Skyr yougurt, handful of nuts.

meal 2.00
3 slices of bread, pork steak, apple, orange, handful of nuts. Or leftovers from evening meal.

meal 5.30
Family meal, always meat, carb, veg.

post training
Shake or 2 skyr, 100g of carbs…usually juice, bread, cereal, rice cakes. Any mixture of carbs for 100g.

night time snack
Whatever the wife brings into the living room. Usually biscuits!

This is the basic layout of a normal working day and is the minimum or baseline that i will eat whilst “bulking”. Just recently ive really started to get in tune with @T3hPwnisher way of letting training dictate/direct your food intake. More so than ever im finding that the harder im pushing and the higher the intensity of the training, the hungrier im feeling. Some days after the squat and deadlift amrap session i just cannot stop eating. So im having good results aiming for a baseline level of food then letting hunger tell me if its enough.

2 Likes

This is my favorite part of what you wrote. I’m the same way. I make sure to always eat SOMETHING with my kid during their breakfast. I’ve raced home from an early shift and threw a yogurt on the kitchen table just to have that time there. They’ll appreciate it one day.

Glad you’re finding a home with the nutritional approach. It just makes sense.

2 Likes

Damn right! So important to have that time together around the table.

Im getting much less digestive discomfort and bloating this way too, probably eating same amount of weekly cals than my old force feed aproach. I really want to try giving going low carb gaining a try again but i havnt done well with that before, i found i got softer faster and felt bad. I think my body just uses carbs really well!

I believe it. Some folks run better on fats, some on carbs. That you need to force feed in general leads me to believe you on the latter.

I know it’s all bro-science and we’re not supposed to talk about somatotypes anymore, but personal experience and stuff I’ve seen written by others tends to show that those that err toward the dumpy endomorph do well on fats, those on the skinnier ectomorph do well on carbs, and the mesomorphs out there are smashing McDonalds and ribs and putting all of us to shame.

1 Like

Added some funky green and black tiles to the walls behind my weight storage. My dad aquired them from someone who was throwing away an odd box of them, turns out the match my weight colour scheme perfect!

Also added a flag so feel like its an official home gym now.

2 Likes