405 x 1
455 x 1
505 x 1

HANG SGHP
135 x 5
165 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5, 5

Did a few jumps and plyo things and called it. I wanted to do deads today so I can (hopefully) recover by Sunday. It would be nice to play ball with fresh legs. On the flip side, I wanted to wait another day to do more upper body just to balance the week. I forgot I have another tattoo appointment to continue working on my sleeve so that workout won’t happen. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

@kleinhound were you a teacher before you joined up? I had this strange feeling like you guys had swapped careers from the other sides of the world so that the universe could be in balance. :joy:

2 Likes

Hahahaha nah mate not me.
Bar manager for about a decade then worked in a bank for a bit

1 Like

SEATED OHP
80 x 10
100 x 5
120 x 4
140 x 2
170 x failure b/c I suck
120 x 10, 6

CHEST SUPPORTED ROW
90 x 10 x 3 wide grip
90 x 10, 7 narrow grip

SMITH INCLINE 1.5 REPS
125 x 8, 6, 6

4 Likes

My legs were still tired for Sunday basketball so I’m trying a new approach this week. Squats AND deads on Monday with a slight chance I’ll repeat the workout Thursday with 20% less weight.

LOW BAR SQUAT
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 1
345 x 1
365 x 1

DEADLIFT
225 x 5
315 x 3
365 x 3
405 x 1
455 x 1
455 x 1 b/c the first one felt heavy
495 x 1
495 x 1 I felt this rep all the way up to the base of my skull. This was my 1RM for the day.

6 Likes

Do you do these seated with your back against a support like @Cyrrex or just straddling a bench like me ?

That’s what I’m talking about! Nice workout. sir!

1 Like

I just straddle the bench; no back support. I’ve tried both with DBs and I actually prefer no back support. Leaning back into the upright bench changes the angle of my press slightly and I don’t like it.

And I only do seated press when I lift at home. I either sit down and press or carry all the weights up the stairs and outside for standing press.

I usually like to split them up but I’ll still do the movement or something similar on the “off” day. On squat day, I like to do my cleans to get some pulling in and on deadlift day, I like to do 3x5 @ 75% on squats as my warm-up for deads.

I’m not doing much in terms of volume so I’m kind of out of shape by my old standards, but I would really enjoy the feeling of fresh legs when I run up and down the basketball court. My vertical is down about 6" from where it can be and it’s making a big difference. I used to be able to dunk with ease even in traffic and now I can’t get there if my steps are off or I get the slightest bump. It’s annoying.

1 Like

I used to always do squat and deads heavy on Monday. Like you, I now usually do a lighter variation of the DL (like and RDL or SLDL) on squat day.

I mostly dunked off of two feet, so my dunking days pretty much ended when I shattered both of the bones in my lower right leg (tibia and fibula? I can’t remember) and had to have a rod put in. I can barely jump over a potato plant now. I probably would have been okay if I would’ve kept playing a lot, but I got into other things and it wasn’t fun for me to play once I couldn’t do the things I used to be able to do.

2 Likes

I need to learn some new skills and start taking it easy. I played in the post through high school and never really learned the guard skills. I continue to play in post even though that sucks in rec ball. I’m mostly wanted for my rebounding and effort. Unfortunately, playing with a power style rather than finesse is hard on the body.

1 Like

I was the opposite. Even though I was one of the taller guys on the team at 6’ I grew up a huge Magic Johnson fan and always worked on becoming a point guard. Once I got to the varsity team I (and the coach) realized I had a knack for scoring the basketball at a pretty high rate. Since I was the best player on the team he wanted the ball in my hands more than if I played in the post, so he moved me to the 2-guard spot, though I would move around a lot depending on the lineup. I’ve always considered myself a 2. Then when I graduated and started playing Y-league ball or whatever, everyone just assumed because of my height that I was a post player (I shot up to 6’4" after high school). For someone who always played guard, playing in the post was absolutely zero fun, so I ended up playing less and less.

1 Like

Playing in the post as a post is zero fun as an adult. I was always the tall kid so my experience was more like “Go stand by the goal. No, don’t dribble. Don’t shoot. Stand by the goal.”

OHP
45 x 10
95 x 5
110 x 5
125 x 3
140 x 2
155 x 0 hmm
PUSH PRESS
155 x 3
170 x 3
185 x 2
195 x 1
BACK TO OHP
135 x 5

PULL UPS
10, 9, 8, 7, 6. 6, 6, 6

HANG SGHP
185 x 3 x 3

HANG POWER SNATCH
135 x 3 x 3

CGBP
135 x 10
135 x 8 with chains
135 x 7 with chains
135 x 6
We have chains in the weight room so I decided to play with them. I think I like them.

LAT DB RAISE
drop set
35 x 10
30 x 7
25 x 7
20 x 8
15 x 10
10 x 15

Nice workout. I’ll be back for more Friday or Saturday.

3 Likes

BENCH
120 x 5
150 x 5
180 x 5
210 x 3
240 x 1
265 x 1
275 x 1

CHEST SUPPORTED ROW
35 x 10
60 x 10
85 x 10 x 3

HIGH BAR SQUAT
120 x 5
170 x 3
210 x 3 narrow stance
Hoping to loosen some things up for basketball tomorrow.

REV DB FLY
30 x 10 x 2

I’ve been sore as heck since Wednesday’s fun. I think my training frequency needs to increase so I might try a push/pull split this week. Don’t worry - they’ll still be short sessions to keep with the nature of my log title.

2 Likes

Why the hmmm ? What caused you to miss the lift ?

That’s why there’s a “hmmm”. This was a huge disappointment. I’m trying to get back to 170. I keep hitting 160 but that’s seated and with my axle bar. I cheat when I do seated press because I start from the locked out position. That allows me to use the stretch reflex on the first rep instead of going from dead stop. I thought 155 was an easy “tough” single, but I couldn’t even get it to my nose.

10.24.22 - Push Day

JUMP ROPE W/U

TUCK JUMPS
3 x 10

LOW BAR SQUAT
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5 x 3 sets
Trying to do the Beyond 5/3/1 template, but I shaved off two sets. It’s supposed to be 5x5 @ 75%. Next week will be 3x3 instead of 5x3.

PUSH PRESS
95 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 3
175 x 2
195 x 1, 1
Once upon a time, I put 240 lbs overhead on this lift… the good ol days.*

ATG SPLIT SQUATS
Saw this in a workout for increasing your vertical. I kind of like it.
80 x 8 ea x 2 sets
And this is when I realized my training volume is garbage. I probably feel tired during basketball because I’m pathetically out of shape.

DB INCLINE PRESS
65 x 10 x 3 sets

JM PRESS
85 x 10 x 3 sets

Pros and Cons from today:

• Con - I realized my training volume has tanked and I need to fix it.
  • Con - I realized that I’ve avoided things that hurt my patellar tendon and it’s resulted in making the problem worse.
  • Con - I realized my training has been 100% slow moving things. I want my vertical back, but I move slow in training.
  • Pro - I have a purpose for training again.
  • Pro - With purpose, I feel motivated and have found meaning in training.
  • Pro - I’m hopefully on the road to where I want to be - reacquiring my old vertical.

Instagram has been good to me lately. I’ve stumbled across videos about patellar tendon pain/strength and discussions about elasticity. Basically, if I want to be explosive and jump high, I need those things. I’ve been avoiding those things. On the plus side, I have some great ideas to fix that in the near future. I just need to make sure I don’t get carried away and try to do everything in one day. I also need to make sure I actually remember all the good ideas I’ve seen. I really need to start saving posts on IG.

I also may benefit from losing a bit more weight. I eat what I want and I’m pretty happy with how I look these days, but simple physics says I’ll jump higher if I cut some fat. One thing I’m struggling with is the desire/urge to ride multiple horses with one ass (reference to Jim Wendler right there). I want to jump higher yesterday. I also enjoy deadlifting 500+ pounds. I would also like to squat four plates. Unfortunately, training for max strength means training slow movements. I’m not quite sure how to proceed in terms of my strength goals. In the meantime, let’s work on jumping higher. I had a chance for a highlight reel dunk yesterday and I opted for the lay-up because I’ve been missing dunks lately. Lame.

1 Like

that first 6 inches is always hard

2 Likes

I’m just going to leave that comment there for someone like @Cyrrex or @TrainForPain (he owes you a few).

3 Likes

This is great to read! Excited to see where this takes you.

You and me both.

(Haha! I’m only 5’7".)

2 Likes