Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

5.2.17 Training

Warm-Up:
Same as yesterday. 2 laps dynamic warm-up, 2 laps of sprint the straightaway, walk the curves. 9:11.

Bench Press (Layers Week 3)

1. 4x6 sec isometric holds
  2. 225x2, 235x2, 245x2, 255x2 265x2–2RM for the day, I guess. Felt like crap today. Off balance and unstable on the bench.
  3. 3x4 @ 245 lbs, cluster sets, 1 rep every 10-12 seconds per set
  4. 3x6 @ 185 lbs, 4-5 seconds on the eccentric
  5. 135x10, 135x8 mid range sets. 3 sec eccentric, 3 sec concentric, constant tension.

Front Squat (no hip pain!):
135x5
155x5
175x2
195x1
215x1 (7 sets)
185x1 (4 sets)
185x5

**Wore a belt once I reached 225 lbs. Felt a very small amount of stiffness/tightness in my QL area during these. Once I took the belt off I felt a lot of tightness. Overall these felt great (except for the fact that I’m a long ways from my old PR of 275 lbs).

Barbell Front Raise
5x10 @ 30lbs mixed in between the front squat sets

Hip Abduction/Adduction Machine:
2x10 each direction @ 90lbs

Back Extension:
3x15 BW

Hanging Leg Raise (Roman Chair):
2x15 BW

DB Suitcase Carry:
30 lb DB, took 25 steps, then held it for 1 minute–1 set each side

It is extremely difficult to stay in normal posture while carrying one dumbbell. 30 lbs isn’t heavy, but the goal of a suitcase carry/hold is to maintain normal posture. It’s much easier to hold it than to walk with it. Not sure which method to use to improve my QL and oblique strength.

Mental Notes
I probably should’ve waited til tomorrow to bench. I only did 11 rounds of 7 push-ups yesterday but it still could’ve had an effect on my bench workout.

I am struggling to back off with my training. Every day I want to work hard whether it’s lifting or conditioning. I chose to lift today because if I didn’t then I knew I would’ve smoked myself with some sprints and/or MetCon. That would’ve left me fairly tired for a pushing workout tomorrow.

I realized during my front squat session that my lifting workouts are taking forever. I was right at two hours today which is the time limit in the Kid Zone for my kids. They charge $1 a minute if you’re late. Perhaps I’ll split my bench and front squat workouts next week… Tomorrow is supposed to be a day off from lifting but I’m definitely going in for some conditioning. I’m thinking of running this once or three times:

See, I can’t resist. Conditioning has kind of become a mild obsession. I want to have great conditioning; be in great shape. But it’s tough to manage my energy resources. I guess I’ll have to settle for decent conditioning while I continue to pursue strength.

2 Likes

221.6 lbs.

Yesterday’s Nutrition:
2932 calories, 337g carbs, 67g fat, 178g protein.
This included 3 beers after dinner. 2 Bud Selects (99 calories) and 1 Bud Light (110 calories)

I was curious what the difference between these two was and the answer… Select has a little less of the Budweiser flavor–a bit more diluted which I prefer. I’ve never liked regular Budweiser.

I don’t really want to lose any more weight so I’m going to bump up to 3100 calories a day and see if I stabilize there.

Today’s training will consist of some running like the previous two days but I might add a lap or two. After that I’m doing the 55-Rep Finisher I shared yesterday. I’ll repeat it if I can. Planning to use 95lbs because of the front squat reverse lunge.

1 Like

5.3.17 Training

Warm-Up
6 laps=1 mile
2 laps dynamic warm-up
4 laps run the straightaway and walk the curves

Felt tired today. Ran slower but it felt just as hard as the last two days.

And on to the real fun…
Rest 8 minutes, then…

The 55-Rep Barbell Complex

Used 95lbs–thought it’d be light on some movements…I was wrong.

Round 1: 3:22 and I had to set the bar down 3 times to breathe
Rested 8 minutes
Round 2: 2:54 and I only set the bar down once

I was smoked after round 1. I had to sit down and lean against a nearby dumbbell rack while I recovered. Heart Rate was 180+ but settled down to 90-100bpm after 2:30. Guess I can recover at a decent rate.

Finished up with some core stuff to hopefully help my QL calm down.

Side Plank: 1 minute each side
Single-Leg Glute Bridge: 3 x 10 each
Full V-Up: 2 x 10
Side Plank: 1 minute each side

2 Likes

Well, crap. Perhaps my 6 day a week training plan isn’t optimal. My newfound motivation for training might be working against me. I’ve been viewing my 3 days off from lifting as opportunities to wooden lb conditioning.

Today is a perfect example. Think I did a bit much for a_“rest”_ day? Hmm… More food for thought.

I definitely feel like I gradually run out of gas as the week progresses. Monday I feel good. Tuesday might have a bit of fatigue but not much. Wednesday my legs start to hurt. And the rest of the week my legs always burn when I go up the stairs. They haven’t been super sore (thanks to my modified leg training) but they’re still tired and that’s a lot of mass my body has to work to repair.

I think I’ve become so accustomed to this pattern that I feel like I need to go crazy Mon - Wed when I have the time and energy. The rest of the week are lighter workouts due to time and to promote recovery. My 2nd workout of the week was always a repeat of the 1st workout but the weights were 20% lighter when I trained at the USOC. It worked well.

@littlesleeper you seem to have been doing some good and frequent conditioning lately; do you think it’s impeded your recovery for the next lifting sessions?

1 Like

Not a ton of time to answer as I’m just finishing breakfast before heading out to work, but:

I did not find a negative impact on my recovery.
HOWEVER, I believe this is because it was intelligently incorporated into an overall program rather than in addition to a solid program…if that makes sense. Don’t burn the candle at both ends!

1 Like

I’m definitely burning! The increased cardio is causing some weight loss. Haven’t been trying to lose weight… and my appetite is quite large. I spend half the afternoon hungry… just watching the clock and waiting for dinner because I don’t have enough calories left for two meals.

I might have to limit my tougher conditioning to my lifting days and actually chill out a bit on non-lifting days. My legs are sore, tight, and quite possibly swollen today and I’m due for some more pulling. I’m guessing the soreness will have a negative impact on anything I do with legs. On the plus side, my priority isn’t legs right now so I can struggle through it.

221.4 lbs

Yesterday’s Nutrtion
3136 calories, 332g carbs, 61g fat, 240g protein

Getting my protein has not been a problem since I’ve been eating a pound of chicken for lunch and almost that amount for dinner.

So far today I’ve had my PB&J sandwich of 500+ calories and I’m still starving. It’s only 9:50am here so I’m trying to put off eating my lunch. Might swing by the house for a protein shake to buy some time for 120 calories.

My plan is to hit the City’s gym for my lunch break to do most of my back workout. I’ll basically do my hypertrophy work and save my deadlifts and pulls for home tonight. 1) I can’t do deadlifts during the week because it’s too noisy (the gym shares a cubicle style wall with the Chief’s office and there’s a courtroom directly below), and 2) I’d use my whole 30 minutes on deadlifts and not do anything else. It’s best to just save it for home…and I have bumper plates. I’m not sure what I’m going to be doing because my back is tight. For now I’m planning some regular deadlifts and possibly some snatch grip high pulls.

5.4.17 Morning Training

Pull-Ups:
2x10, 10-2-2-2 (triple rest/pause)

Seated Cable Row:
190x5
210x4
230x3
190x5
210x4
230x3
120x30

Reverse Cable Curl:
8/8/8 (bottom half, top half, full ROM) @ 100

Cable Curl:
8/8/8 (bottom half, top half, full ROM) @ 120----8 full ROM were more like 8 rest/pause reps

Worked in some cable hip abduction and adduction between sets. 2x10 each leg in each direction with 30 lbs.

1 Like

Evening Training

Deadlift:
3x4 @ 205
2x3 @ 235
2x2 @ 275
295x2
315x2
335x2
355x1
375x1
395x1
395x1
345x2
345x2
345x2

Snatch Grip High Pull:
3x3 @ 225

RDL:
3x5 @ 135

To say this was a disappointing workout would be an understatement. 395 was damn near a max today. I’m chalking it up to fatigue and a couple weeks off from pulling. Right before I shut it down I was considering moving Deadlifts to Sundays and giving them their own day… A fresh day. Now I remember why.

2 Likes

I don’t remember what the scale said this morning… I think I was up 1.4 lbs from yesterday so maybe 223.6??

Yesterday’s Nutrition
3058 calories, 333g carbs, 90g fat, 212g protein.

There will be no training today. It’s a rest day… I’m also going to physical therapy and figure it’s a good day to relax so I don’t do something that negates the treatment I receive there.

1 Like

Tried your little snack/meal (put dry ingredients into the blender first, then add water) my god it has revolutionized my shake making haha

2 Likes

Nice! It’s crazy how good it turns out. My protein powder is french cinnamon toast flavor. It creates the perfect amount of sweetness with the oatmeal. The only problem is that I down 1.5 scoops of protein and 1 cup of oatmeal in about 30 seconds. It’s great if I’m in a hurry or headed to the gym soon after but not so great if I’m actually hungry because it doesn’t fill me up.

Earlier this week I made my regular oatmeal and tried to add protein powder… epic failure. Since the protein is whey and is a milk product it started to clump up from the heat of the cooked oatmeal.

1 Like

Hey @Frank_C standing dumbell shoulder presses hurt my shoulders and ever since i started doing them my shoulder crack and pop if i move around my shoulder . Its probably form so would you have any form tips or any videos links etc because i know its a great exercise and i want to keep it in my training . Thanks

A shoulder cracking/popping doesn’t seem like just a form issue to me. You don’t have any history of shoulder issues?

Shoulders/overhead pressing are a weakness of my own, and if I’m using dumbbells, I actually like to do the single arm standing press. Really works the core and allows me to focus on that one arm/shoulder. I have been using this for the the past few months as my main assistance overhead work after barbell work, and have seen great progress in my shoulders and stability while doing overhead pressing.

Coincidentally T Nation appears to have posted a Youtube of it just yesterday. Something to consider implementing instead until you feel your shoulders are structurally sound/confident in your form.

I have had some issues with them before lifting but generally dumbell bench pressing and overhead pressing messes with my shoulders.

Are you using proper form, during Presses my right shoulder would crack and grind but working on technique it is completely fine now. Still my elbows are trashed.

Pretty sure his post is saying that he thinks he is using improper form, which he has theorized is the cause of his shoulder pain/cracks.

@duketheslaya posting a video of your own form would be most beneficial. I don’t think there’s any special tutorial video out there we could link you to other than the ones you can find on this site. Such as…

1 Like

I completed missed half of the first post woops. I found bringing my arm in a Y motion rather than a T stopped the grinding, as well as squeezing glutes hard on standing movements. Video post would definetly help Duke.

1 Like

Thanks i have no camera or training partner though.

Just put your phone on the floor pointing at you next time you train, then upload the video to Youtube when you get home is what I do.

1 Like