Jay Schroeder Program

In an other 3d I read that Jay’s program are organized in this way.

1. Extreme iso for work capacity, increases fast twitch fiber volume, programs proper muscle firing patterns, and builds up sufficient ROM

2. The trainee learns to absorb force through various depth drops.

3. Finally, one trains to produce force.

Do you knows phase 2-3 in particular?

TNX in advance

I’ve read that some ways are to do depth drops whether standing or landing in a push up position. Drop and catch weights etc. Force production I’ve read that he times their max lift and tries to get them to lift it faster.

Doesn’t everyone try to do this as a method of promoting adaptation/progression anyways? Simply asking someone to move a max load faster is not special…this should be instinctual in my opinion

He probably carries it a bit further than powerlifters do. I believe he times lifts, and in some cases only allows more weight to be used when a load can be lifted in a certain amount of time. For a power athlete like a football player, a 600 pound squat is next to useless if it takes 8 seconds to complete the lift.

I disagree with this statement…to a point. If the intent is to move the load as fast as possible and it still takes 8 seconds, than so be it. This still has transfer and application to the sport…

Everything transfers to the sport, the question is is it improving your sporting ability or is what you’re doing making you worse?

Hi,

I trained with Jay for 5 years. Iso extremes were not used by me when he wrote my programs. We lifted 90% plus weights multiple times. Moderate loads(50%-80%)
fast (93% of max speed or the workout for that lift was over). Plus plyometric drills of many types(depth landings,catching drop load catches etc.)
brandon green

cccp, if it’s not too much trouble, would you care to list a workout or two that you performed while you were with him? I understand that the key to his success is his intelligent planning and programming, and not in the individual sessions per se, but I am interested in seeing what types of things he does to target certain abilities.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
cccp, if it’s not too much trouble, would you care to list a workout or two that you performed while you were with him? I understand that the key to his success is his intelligent planning and programming, and not in the individual sessions per se, but I am interested in seeing what types of things he does to target certain abilities.[/quote]

Sure. I don’t have time to post any of his old programs and doing so might not help anyone specifically. The principles are what is most important. First you must be able to ABSORB force(plyo drills,catching loads etc.)!Second you must have sufficent SPEED to produce force
(45-80% of 1rm fast)Third you must express force in terms of MAX EFFORT(90% plus of 1rm).

When you overtrain 1 trait such as max effort by 1-3% you can now train for speed(really strength-speed or speed-strength as defined by Soviets)for a period while max effort abilities rest. In turn when stength-speed declines by 1-3% you can go back to max effort and overtrain it again(or force absorption).

All effort has to be at 93% of max or higher or you stop training that trait in that exercise for that day. There is more but it would take me longer to explain.
Brandon

This sounds very similar to many of Inno-Sport’s guidelines. I’m familiar with those, so it would be great if you could highlight any areas where they differ markedly, otherwise I’ll just assume they’re very similar.

Specifically though, when he has you train to move heavy loads quickly (~80%), how quickly does he want you to be able to move it? I’ve been thinking about starting to time my heavy lifts and only progressing when I can lift it at a certain speed.

Brandon,

For the ME work at 90%+, is the 93% effort drop off determined by bar speed, weight, or both

Also how is the drop off determined for absorption drills like altitude drops

Thanks in advance

Also,

How do EDI’s fit into the program?

[quote]cccp21 wrote:
rmccart1 wrote:
cccp, if it’s not too much trouble, would you care to list a workout or two that you performed while you were with him? I understand that the key to his success is his intelligent planning and programming, and not in the individual sessions per se, but I am interested in seeing what types of things he does to target certain abilities.

Sure. I don’t have time to post any of his old programs and doing so might not help anyone specifically. The principles are what is most important. First you must be able to ABSORB force(plyo drills,catching loads etc.)!Second you must have sufficent SPEED to produce force
(45-80% of 1rm fast)Third you must express force in terms of MAX EFFORT(90% plus of 1rm).

When you overtrain 1 trait such as max effort by 1-3% you can now train for speed(really strength-speed or speed-strength as defined by Soviets)for a period while max effort abilities rest. In turn when stength-speed declines by 1-3% you can go back to max effort and overtrain it again(or force absorption).

All effort has to be at 93% of max or higher or you stop training that trait in that exercise for that day. There is more but it would take me longer to explain.
Brandon
[/quote]

Tnx for your reply Brandon!

Some questions:

1. when you wrote “When you overtrain 1 trait such as max effort by 1-3% you can now train for speed and so on” do it means that after 3 (4 o 5)days your weight is decreased by 1-3%? If you use 100 kg for an exercise, after few days you exercise is 97-99 kg?

2. When do you keep each phase? (absorbtion, speed and then maximal force).

3. The program what you used is similar to this?

A) extreme slow, holding as long as is possible continuing to hold while lowering

B) Rebound Repetitions - release yourself or the load from the starting position then chase to the point of catching the load or stopping the limb or body from dropping as powerfully as possible and as fast as one can return to the starting position

C) Altitude Drop and hold - like B but no reaction out, a 10 second contraction at the bottom

1. wall squat 2. front lunge 3. standing supported leg extension 4. lying leg curl 5. wall push off 6. front raise 7. upright row 8. bicep curl

go A, A, A, day off, B, B, B, 2 days off, C, C, C, 2 days off, repeat cycle

1. What do you think of this planning? Is it exact?

1 phase: extreme iso

2 phase: iso + absorbing

3 phase: iso + absorbing + rebound

4 phase: iso + absorbing + rebound + light ME (max 80% of 1RM -i.e.: iso-dyn e gli ecc-dyn)

5 phase: iso + absorbing + rebound + hard ME (85-90%) + manual overspeed

What do you think? Is it exact?

I think, and cccp can correct me if I’m wrong, that a part of Schroeder’s methods that is highly overlooked, especially when people start talking about Archuleta and his video and such, is that Schroeder gets his athletes STRONG first.

I believe Arculeta was squatting above 600 and benching around 500 before he started doing all that fancy shit that people primarily focus on when talking about Schroeder.

Hi Brandon.

I would like also ask you a few questions.

Is there a logic with which training means are organized ?

For example a progression in weight or
a progression of %RM ?
I am not referring to the drop-off used of 3-7%, but as the means follow over time in a block of time.
Is there a logical combination or rotation of means to be followed in a single wo?

[quote]Eastern boy wrote:

1. Extreme iso for work capacity, increases fast twitch fiber volume, programs proper muscle firing patterns, and builds up sufficient ROM

TNX in advance[/quote]

what is extreme iso?

[quote]DarrylLicke wrote:
Eastern boy wrote:

TNX in advance

what is extreme iso?

[/quote]

search with google

[quote]squattin600 wrote:
Brandon,

For the ME work at 90%+, is the 93% effort drop off determined by bar speed, weight, or both

Also how is the drop off determined for absorption drills like altitude drops

Thanks in advance

[/quote]
Determined by bar speed.Used to be by stopwatch. Probably by some device(tendo unit) now.

Brandon

[quote]Dimitry wrote:
Hi Brandon.

I would like also ask you a few questions.

Is there a logic with which training means are organized ?

For example a progression in weight or
a progression of %RM ?
I am not referring to the drop-off used of 3-7%, but as the means follow over time in a block of time.

Is there a logical combination or rotation of means to be followed in a single wo?[/quote]
When a paticular trait overtrains then i work on another till i can train that trait again. If i train a trait for 40 sessions then it is mine to keep for awhile. Think of producing force,producing it fast and then producing it over an extended range of motion.Also speed work(stength-speed)helps to accelerate recovery.
Brandon

[quote]Desideratus15 wrote:
I think, and cccp can correct me if I’m wrong, that a part of Schroeder’s methods that is highly overlooked, especially when people start talking about Archuleta and his video and such, is that Schroeder gets his athletes STRONG first.

I believe Arculeta was squatting above 600 and benching around 500 before he started doing all that fancy shit that people primarily focus on when talking about Schroeder.[/quote]

He trains whatever you NEED first! If it’s speed the we do that(maybe in concert with 1 other trait). If it’s maximal strength then we do that. Remember that you need volume to be built over time so that you can take on greater training loads.

Brandon