Jake Gyllenhaal used Surge to get in shape for Road House

Escape from New York was THE shit! Loved it :rofl:
No, it wasn’t a cinematic masterpiece but excellent at the time.

2 Likes

I think I asked my mom for an eye patch. I was 10. But still. :smile:

2 Likes

Knowing mom’s back then, I bet she graciously extended you an offer to take out one of your eyes so that you would have EARNED that eye patch.

1 Like

I tried to watch the new Road House last evening. It might take some time. But, Jake Gyllenhaal is ripped.

4 Likes

I begged my mom for a mullet when I was a kid. I loved MacGyver.

She said no. I’m glad she did, haha.

4 Likes

We need an Every Which Way But Loose Reboot

https://resizing.flixster.com/LfL5OrOu0ekPF_Yesuvp9jfR_Oo=/206x305/v2/https://resizing.flixster.com/-XZAfHZM39UwaGJIFWKAE8fS0ak=/v3/t/assets/p2333_p_v8_ac.jpg

3 Likes

Put me in the camp of liking that remakes bringing a great story to a new audience.

3 Likes

They are making a comeback. Mullets.

Some classics I am not sure should be messed with. But I watch them anyway. I draw the line at Casablanca however.

1 Like

The source material for those films were books so even the original movies were not original.

1 Like

And really, everything came from the Greeks anyway

2 Likes

I doubt they would claim Conor McGregor.

I’ll be damned, my parents watched the new Road House and loved it. I guess I need to finish.

I just watched it. I’ve never seen the original, but liked this one. It’s in the set of “Pause so I can do a set of pushups for no reason,” kind of movie.

Although my wife said Jake McSexy pants has small forearms.

Also, not really an MMA guy, but MacGregors’ performance was out of the park. That man comitted.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Right
 I like Surge but c’mon

Looks whack

1 Like

He was like a cartoon version of himself. It was an amazing performance!

We had a “Road House Weekend.” Watched the new one on Saturday and the old one on Sunday.

Like the first one, the new one was mostly check-your-brain-at-the-door fun. It was a worthy re-imagining (same story and yet different) and it was fun to compare the two and look for easter eggs in the new one.

Also fun to compare the physiques. Back in the day (1989), Swayze blew people’s minds with his body. Remember, the “ripped but not large” physique didn’t generate wide-audience appeal until 10 years later with Brad Pitt in Fight Club. By today’s standards, Swayze was “skinny but fit.” Funny to watch him chain-smoke and train hard in side-by-side scenes.

Gyllenhaal was obviously jacked. Abs were off the charts. Not just visible, but thick and chunky. Jason Walsh did NOT skip abs and core work in those workouts!

Also interesting to compare the new one to the 1989 version. The new one wasn’t “woke” but you could spot the cultural changes in how movies are made. Didn’t really affect the movie though.

Lots of gratuitous boobies and butts in the first one; only Connor Mcgregor’s naked ass in the new one. His character was a totally ridiculous cartoon and I was there for it.

Also, everyone stuffed in their shirts in 1989. Weird how you notice things like that 30+ years later.

Anyway, worth checking out the Gyllenhaal version. No Oscar nominations there, but that’s kind of a compliment these days.

4 Likes

What was Jake’s ab routine ?